Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I Hate these "hired beggers" at the grocery stores.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 231 ✭✭IrishSerf

Caught one of the little toerags putting HIS empty mineral bottle into my bag coz he "couldn't find a bin". Nearly killed him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

grahamo wrote: »
    How is it going to some fat cat?: Its usually for a charity or a local club.

OK, I might have exaggerated that one, but still the point is, most of the time, I'm donating for somebody to do whatever, be a boyscout, go for a vacation, or for somebody's hobby, I'm not saving lives, I'm not changing anything for the general public by donating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

There's a chap with learning disabilities who works in my local shop. The locals talk down to him as if he's a 5year old child and when he helps them pack their bags they (very patronisingly) say "Thank you , now there's a few bob for yourself".

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

How about just don't feel bad?
    Lots of them are hot so I don't mind.

mmm, young boys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Jaysoose

Went shopping on friday for the dinner in superquinn, stopped at bank machine to get cash and was accosted for change by some weird two man band from foreign lands playing what only sounded like cats being bsing squashed in his accordian. Came out of the shop to the 'un-winnable scratch card man' sitting at the exit. After having spent enough buying the dinner i kept on walking without an ounce of guilt.

Wonder would it be ok for me to offer to pack bags in superquinn or somewhere for 'Jayoose's 50 inch LCD screen fund'.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭NickCarraway

rubadub wrote: »
    The logic is that you are paying for the bags now so you probably want to use them more wisely. i.e. in the past they would have had no problem using 5 bags when 2-3 would have done. Also since you now pay it is your bag and they might not want to be touching "your property".

I'm talking moreso about the smaller shop, you buy 3 or 4 items and ask for 1 plastic bag which they just throw in front of you. They had no problem touching "my property" before the levy was introduced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭djsupreme

TimAy wrote: »
    Wtf? How is it similar in any way to toilet attendants?
    While expecting people to give you money every time they go shopping is asking a lot, expecting a bit of commen courtesy isn't. Get a grip

It is extremely similar to toilet attendants because both are offering a service that isn't required, and indrectly putting pressure on you to use that service and pay for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭thebigcheese22

I think if its for a worthy cause that will actually save lives then they have every right to raise money for it and if you're a good person you'l give them some, no matter how small.
    If its for a crap cause then just don't pay and don't start a whole thread on it :rolleyes:

End of.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

They had these fcukers in Boots the other day... Am I the only one who doesn't really think having school kids packing peoples condoms and tampons etc is the best idea?? The poor girl infront of me was buying a pregnancy test and the two girls who were packing were giggling to each other.. FFS.. she was mortified.. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

xzanti wrote: »
    They had these fcukers in Boots the other day... Am I the only one who doesn't really think having school kids packing peoples condoms and tampons etc is the best idea?? The poor girl infront of me was buying a pregnancy test and the two girls who were packing were giggling to each other.. FFS.. she was mortified.. :rolleyes:
    I have never seen them in boots now but i would be mortified too.... Jeez!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

MIN2511 wrote: »
    I have never seen them in boots now but i would be mortified too.... Jeez!

Yeah couldn't believe it.. Morons.. Whatever about Dunnes or that.. Or even if they were older people collecting, but not school kids :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,072 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

They should have them in AIB. Some of those tellers are so fucking slow stuffing cash into the bags, and when those alarms are ringing you need to get the hell out asap.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Domo230 wrote: »
    OP is a scabby ****

Banned

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭moonflower

I've won on one of the unwinnable scratch cards. €2. They wouldn't give me the €2 though, they made me take another scratch card instead. I won nothing on it, of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

MIN2511 wrote: »
    Funny, i was in Dunnes today and i was thinking the same..
    They always seem to have young girls looking at you with puppy eyes and when i don't give i feel guilty :(

You weren't in Dunnes in Sandyford Beacon by any chance?

I was there on Saturday and there was some women's netball team collecting.... All about 18, 19 and pretty hot :p

Had no change though as I was paying by laser :(

They actually packed the bags well. They were discussing with each other what should go in which bag, so things didn't get crushed. I would have given them a euro or two if I had change. I told them I didn't have any change and they were fine with it...
    fastrac wrote: »
    What about the rugby mummies,pony mummies,yauchty mummies dropping off a crew from the Q7 to collect cash to pay for the underage match in the same area as the next 6 nations game and a week skiing after.No wonder people are sick of them.Pay for you own hobbies and let the deserving causes do the collections.

and then this is what I was thinking about the netball team... all pretty well healed girls... didn't look short of a bit of cash...

You weren't in Dunnes in Sandyford Beacon by any chance?

I was there on Saturday and there was some women's netball team collecting.... All about 18, 19 and pretty hot :p

Had no change though as I was paying by laser :(

They actually packed the bags well. They were discussing with each other what should go in which bag, so things didn't get crushed. I would have given them a euro or two if I had change. I told them I didn't have any change and they were fine with it...

Nope this was in town, in Ilac centre.... I didn't need them to help me as i only bought two items, but i still gave the girls a euro or so.... Can't remember...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

holly1 wrote: »
    A lot of mean people out there with big chips on there shoulders.

Always nice to get a mention!

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭schween

The funniest I saw was in a Tesco and a woman screamed at the bag packer and "Jesus Christ we're in a recession, I'm not giving you money!"
    The child she was screaming at looked about 5 or 6. The poor thing probably didn't know what a recession was.
    I don't like bagpackers either but I always smile and say no thanks and throw them a euro or 2 anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

bigkev49 wrote: »
    WTF is a "grocery store"??

It's a shop goddamnit.

I was under the impression that the OP was posting from America and that Tesco and Dunnes had opened shops there.

Also, laser card rules.

Hare Krishna at the door the other night trying to sell me a book.
    Do you take laser?
    No.
    Sorry, I've no cash.

He gave me the book anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

schween wrote: »
    The funniest I saw was in a Tesco and a woman screamed at the bag packer and "Jesus Christ we're in a recession, I'm not giving you money!"
    Reminds me of my childhood when iggnorent people like that were everywere. I fcuking hate them

The child she was screaming at looked about 5 or 6. The poor thing probably didn't know what a recession was.
    Exactly, a so called adult who probably never gave out a penny when times were better either .
    I don't like bagpackers either but I always smile and say no thanks and throw them a euro or 2 anyways.
    I dont mind them tbh but always thrown a few coins into the bucket.It gives kids a chance be helpful while helping there organisations .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

I always give them money. Giving kids money for their dancing classes or scout groups stops them from stealing my car or mugging me. Plus I tell them if they cant pack it all neatly in the blue crate I bring shopping they are getting nothing. So I am also helping them learn that they dont get rewarded for sloppy work like their parents taught them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

kmick wrote: »
    I always give them money. Giving kids money for their dancing classes or scout groups stops them from stealing my car or mugging me.
    Also provides them with an early work ethic .

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Terry wrote: »
    I was under the impression that the OP was posting from America and that Tesco and Dunnes had opened shops there.

Also, laser card rules.

Hare Krishna at the door the other night trying to sell me a book.
    Do you take laser?
    No.
    Sorry, I've no cash.

He gave me the book anyway.

I love those guys.

Even since I got 25000 for running over them all in GTA, guranga!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭RaverRo808

I do think the OP is verging abit on mean side but he has point,I was in Blanchardstown SP on Saturday and was in boots and there were young girls bagging goods and I was happy to throw in a Euro for a good cause,but then I was in Dunnes and they were there aswell,then they were in M and S and I was like ah here this is taking the p*ss

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

CyberGhost wrote: »
    Everytime I go to tesco or dunnes store, at the end of the counter there is somebody collecting change for some "good cause".

I fecking hate them,

I don't want to give you my change mkay!? so stop asking me to pack my crap in the bag.

They make me feel like crap when I don't give change, and why should I give change, when it's going into some fat cat's pocket.

Is there nothing one can do about this ****, complain to the manager or something?

bah!

/end rant

As much as I admire the spirit of them I agree I also hate them. It should not be allowed furthermore

They usually pack bags incorrectly
    Stand around in groups giving intimidating looks as you pass

• Registered Users Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

RaverRo808 wrote: »
    I do think the OP is verging abit on mean side but he has point,I was in Blanchardstown SP on Saturday and was in boots and there were young girls bagging goods and I was happy to throw in a Euro for a good cause,but then I was in Dunnes and they were there aswell,then they were in M and S and I was like ah here this is taking the p*ss

My meanness is caused/transformed from guilt, first I feel guilty with all the looks and stares they give me, then it turns into anger.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

I packed bags in a supermarket for charity before. If you just say 'thanks' or acknowledge my presence , it's grand. Though the only people missing your spare change was the school I was collecting for. So sorry for intruding their misery on your super-special outing to Tesco. How rude of me. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Dyou know my sister and her class raised 15 grand for charity and one of the ways they did it was bag packing.

I always make a point of giving any small change I have to charity. It's not a huge amount, I know, but it's something.

Are you really so tight that you can't spare 20c for charity?

15grand? Which grocery store is this?

Currently unemployed, would grab all my mates if i could raise 15k in one day in the name of charity :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

Dyou know my sister and her class raised 15 grand for charity and one of the ways they did it was bag packing.

I always make a point of giving any small change I have to charity. It's not a huge amount, I know, but it's something.

Are you really so tight that you can't spare 20c for charity?

Fair play to your sister.

It does seem that there are people so tight they wouldn't spare 20 c for charity, and not only that, they feel the need to moan about it on a forum.

And I forgot to say earlier, they're not 'hired beggars'- if they were hired, they'd get paid, and they do it for free!

Advertisement