Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I Hate these "hired beggers" at the grocery stores.

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭TomRooney

I WOULDNT GIVE THEM A PENNY the reason why.........i used to be in the scouts and dipping the bucket is a very common occurrance, all the scouts from my old den used to sound like the chain gang walking out of the shops coz there pockets were so full of change.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Acacia wrote: »
    Fair play to your sister.

It does seem that there are people so tight they wouldn't spare 20 c for charity, and not only that, they feel the need to moan about it on a forum.

And I forgot to say earlier, they're not 'hired beggars'- if they were hired, they'd get paid, and they do it for free!
    Well there's a recession, can't give money to help those worse off.
    TomRooney wrote: »
    I WOULDNT GIVE THEM A PENNY the reason why.........i used to be in the scouts and dipping the bucket is a very common occurrance, all the scouts from my old den used to sound like the chain gang walking out of the shops coz there pockets were so full of change.

Not everyone's a thief. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

ejmaztec wrote: »
    If it's something like a local dancing school, I'll break their fucking dancing legs before I'll let them near my feckin groceries.

I've collected for a kickboxing club where I've coached, of course your always welcome down for a visit :P

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

TimAy wrote: »
    Ah you poor thing OP

If you'd actually taken the time to ever do a bag pack for a "good cause" you would realise that they don't actually care whether you give them change or not. A simple smile or acknowledgment is fine.

They do care, and expect some amount of change dropped in to their buckets.

There is no "would you like us to pack your shopping?", if there was, then a simple yes or no would mean they get money or not from me.

I've done it before loads of times as a cub scout and scout in the late 80's early 90's. I know what its like.

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭PrettyInPunk

TomRooney wrote: »

Jesus you scabby pricks, maybe im weird but when im collecting for a charity it would never ever cross my mind to dip into the bucket so i can fund my next pack of fags...:confused:... some people are so weird

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Rabies wrote: »

There is no "would you like us to pack your shopping?", if there was, then a simple yes or no would mean they get money or not from me.

I've done it before loads of times as a cub scout and scout in the late 80's early 90's. I know what its like.

You done it before then?

I done it years ago, for the scouts, never witnessed anyone stealing. I certainly didn't. If people didn't give us money, it didn't matter.

Of course they are hoping to get a little change of everyone, but they do not expect it from everyone. I often say no as I like to pack the bags myself, even my girlfriend doesn't pack the bags, that's my job ;) Either way, I got no money to spare, ever...

I don't see a big problem with it, and if that's all your problems OP, then you have a great life :)

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭PrettyInPunk

Rabies wrote: »

EHhh not completely correct, not all of them make a beeline for your bags and start cramming your shopping in. Many hang back abit, see if you hand your bags to them or imply in some way that your happy for them to pack your bags. If they sense youd rather do it yourself then theyll just let you be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭RLJ

EHhh not completely correct, not all of them make a beeline for your bags and start cramming your shopping in. Many hang back abit, see if you hand your bags to them or imply in some way that your happy for them to pack your bags. If they sense youd rather do it yourself then theyll just let you be.
    That would be ok but most are too ignorant to ask they just grab and put a snot on themselves if they are told politely not to grab the groceries. If i give money it will be becasue i choose to and not because some psychological trick is used to persuadem me. i do give to charity but not to them, pure ignorant

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,636 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I think if its for a worthy cause that will actually save lives then they have every right to raise money for it and if you're a good person you'l give them some, no matter how small.
    Best way is not to give a few euro here and there but to give it all in a donation of €250 or more so the charity can claim back your income tax. Make it worth about €400 to the charity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

RLJ wrote: »
    That would be ok but most are too ignorant to ask they just grab and put a snot on themselves if they are told politely not to grab the groceries. If i give money it will be becasue i choose to and not because some psychological trick is used to persuadem me. i do give to charity but not to them, pure ignorant

Utter rubbish...
    Best way is not to give a few euro here and there but to give it all in a donation of €250 or more so the charity can claim back your income tax. Make it worth about €400 to the charity.

Good idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Worst are the charity muggers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭RLJ

Utter rubbish...
    Utter utter rubbish...how do you know all experience, what happens when i am in shop, utter rubbish

Advertisement