Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are these?

Options
  • 14-02-2009 9:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭

All,

Does anyone know for certain what the 5ft tall green boxes on black laegs/pillars springing up on footpaths all over south Dublin are? They look like they could be the right size and they are certainly the right colour for new postboxes but they don't have slots for letters. The ones near my house have been in place for a few months.

Any ideas?

Ben

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Im pretty sure they are signal boxes for traffic lights as i always see them within 10ft from lights

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭Relevant

They are used to store post. The post van drops the letters into the box and then the post man comes along on his bike and picks them up at the end of each road

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Delta Bravo, sorry but they are all over the lace and nowehere near traffic lights in my area.

Relevant, are you taking the mickey or what? It almost sounds plausible but if I believe it I start to feel like the wool is boing pulled over my eyes. Are you serious?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,203 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

That's what they're for. There is one at the end of my road and my postman told me what it was. Sometimes they tack them onto the side of a 'proper' post box.
    It saves them having to go back to the delivery office it seems.

Advertisement