Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Worlds Best!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

Unusual to see a black and white sports shot recognised.

I have to say, however, I think it is a stunning photograph. The lighting is exceptional, the timing is excellent, and the whole composition and framing is very special. There's a very big story in it. I like it a lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

Agree with DK on this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

I don't particularly disagree with what you say but i'm not big into sports stuff so others may be able to rationalise the choice better. Also i need to read up on the awards as I've only viewed the image which you linked to.

Having said that - I guess it brings up the age old question of what makes an award winning photograph - perhaps it is in the eye of the beholder, perhaps it is in the moment, perhaps it is in technical excellence of the shot or the photographic skill of the photographer.

AnCatDubh wrote: »

Having said that - I guess it brings up the age old question of what makes an award winning photograph - perhaps it is in the eye of the beholder, perhaps it is in the moment, perhaps it is in technical excellence of the shot or the photographic skill of the photographer.
    Was waiting for someone to come out with that! :p
    It's just a normal type of that particular photograph...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

He might have taken it but its not his picture!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Judging takes place at the beginning of February each year. The contest jury comprises thirteen picture editors, photographers and representatives of press agencies from different parts of the world, with widely divergent backgrounds.

This brings to the process a breadth of experience, a variety of perception, and a contrast in viewpoint that keeps judging dynamic and bolsters objectivity. The jury acts independently of World Press Photo, and the organization has no influence on its decisions.

So it's now clear - The awards are a camel (horse designed by a committee of diverse backgrounds). Makes sense to be honest.

So given that, I'd guess you'd have to take it as something that you'll think is the best thing since sliced bread or else the worst thing since sliced bread.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Not knowing anything about Rugby makes it hard for me to see the significance of that shot.

I do like that the presentation in B&W with the lighting. The background clutter is quite a distraction though. Still well done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

CabanSail wrote: »
    Not knowing anything about Rugby makes it hard for me to see the significance of that shot.

You certainly dont know anything about rugby.....look at the picture again!:D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Yes ..... and?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Yes ..... and?

It aint rugby?

• Advertisement

Well that's how much I know about sport in a nutshell. I cannot tell the difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

Well that's how much I know about sport in a nutshell. I cannot tell the difference.

You're kidding, no? Even my wife who detests rugby can tell the difference :D

Glad I didn't see this thread when I was pissed last night....
    :)
    Where I used to live we used to say that any bloke not into footy was gay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

:confused: what's special about it?

Where I used to live we used to say that any bloke not into footy was gay.

..... and what's wrong with that Big Boy? ;)

Actually it really annoys people that I do not get worried when Australia is beaten in some sort of sporting contest. They are hoping to get me riled & I really don't give a toss.

I guess that any photograph relies on some connection of the viewer to the subject truly appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭-mcguire-

Strange one alright, delighted for him to win the award.
    But don't think I'd have looked twice at the picture and am not trying to cause offense by saying that.
    Yet again I've seen a photograph shock me when winning an award. Was it a public vote?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

Nope, World Press Photo is not a public vote system. I would recommend visiting their page and reading what is possible to read. And also to check photos from previous years. I must say that it is photography - some pictures makes me feel completely stoned, some do not do anything to me.
    Like the Auschwitz or the rugby one - don't get me wrong, but guys here have better sport pictures. I just cannot cope with the processing of the picture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 842 ✭✭✭daycent

That's a strange one. If it won the sport section I'd be surprised, but the overall winner:confused: Still, fair dues to him.

Advertisement