Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Watched Terminator 1 & 2 again as the GF had never seen either of them before. (She'd seen Terminator Salvation 1st in the cinema :eek:) She enjoyed them.................so I'm still with her :pac:

No matter how many times I see them the legendary status of them never fades, especially since I watched T2 in high-def. Terminator 1's gammy 80's music still cracks me up but, to me, that's it's only downside.

Also saw Westworld a few nights ago on TV, haven't seen that film since it was the first film I saw when we got satellite back in '97. This film really did have the blueprints for The Terminator and while it does have some silly plot-holes it's still a piece of iconic 70's cinema.

Yul Brenner is the grand-daddy of the T-800 :pac:
    1246393584_westworld-yul_l.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

Saw Invictus on bluray. Good film, a bit cheesy tho.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭A V A

just watched joy division (the documentary) . . 5 starts great one :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Batman Begins + The Dark Knight - was in a Chris Nolan mood after Inception

Awesome films - can't wait till the 3rd Batman movie now ... 2 years wait :( ....

watching shes the one on rte . . .ok . . ish

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭questioner

splice.

meh.

I'd like to splice adrien brody. with an axe.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭One_Armed_Dwarf

just watched Barfly, i'm working my way through Bukowski's novels at the minute so I was really looking foward to seeing this, great film and I taught Mickey Rourke played a brilliant Chinaski, now to try and find Factotum.

just watched up in the air . . . . great film :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

questioner wrote: »
    splice.

meh.

I'd like to splice adrien brody. with an axe.

seen it other day too
    i liked it

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Battle for Habitha. - Was expecting a lot better from word-of-mouth reviews I'd heard before.

The documentary-style of filming worked and didn't work in equal measures. I didn't care one iota about any of the Marines and very little was done to show the pressure and mind-set that is inserted into the US forces in Iraq - instead it portrays them entirely as trigger-happy scumbags which isn't the case as much as some sections of the media would like it to be.

The events were tragic and the incident itself was done well but overall whatever messages it tried to get across were clunky and vague. They fúcked up, bad, but very little was offered as why something like that could have happened.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 398 ✭✭Anakin.S

I watched 'Whip It' last night, I really enjoyed it. You could pick it apart with continuity errors and it could be described as 'Juno Joins Roller Derby' but its a good film, well acted and I'll watch it again.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Extract by Mike Judge. I really like Mike Judge usually but I just didn't get this.
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1225822/
    Pretty good cast. It was engaging enough but overall just unsatisfying. I kinda get the feeling that there was something more beneath the surface but he just didn't bother to bring it out. Brief appearance by Gene Simmons and Hank Hill's voice.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Saw Gunless a few days ago. Not a bad film, and a few laughs in it.

Extract by Mike Judge. I really like Mike Judge usually but I just didn't get this.
    Pretty good cast. It was engaging enough but overall just unsatisfying. I kinda get the feeling that there was something more beneath the surface but he just didn't bother to bring it out. Brief appearance by Gene Simmons and Hank Hill's voice.

it was ok but i found my self loosing concentration and focus on the film

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,446 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Watched it yesterday too, and while it's entertaining, it's just not particularly funny IMO. It chugs along at a decent pace, and the cast are pretty great, but just felt like there was a better film always itching to get out. I don't think I laughed once, and while it wasn't boring (some scenes were nicely weird and absurd), it just seemed to lack a point.

Rewatched Mission: Impossible 3 last night as well. Without a doubt one of the most underrated blockbusters of recent years. J.J. Abrams is the new king of smart, slick action. It's directed with energy, the plot is far more coherent than the previous two films (a little more human, too), and the setpieces exciting. It's a fun way to spend two hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

Antichrist by lars von trier

Completly messed up movie, I know that movies in the festival can be a bit arty farty but this is just wrong..Watch it and wait till the end scenes and you will understad...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,997 ✭✭✭conorhal

A V A wrote: »
    it was ok but i found my self loosing concentration and focus on the film

I missed this one. How does it compare to Office Space, it looks from the trailer as if it's a similar kind of flick?

im not sure i havent seen office space i dont think

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

conorhal wrote: »
    I missed this one. How does it compare to Office Space, it looks from the trailer as if it's a similar kind of flick?

Office space was excellent because it really captured the cubicle drone life very well despite that talentless Aniston one being in it. Even Idiocracy had some cool ideas. I've always loved beavis and butthead and king of the hill so always look out for what Mike Judge is doing next. But this was just flat in comparison. It was a bit like a bad Coen Brothers film.

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭ultain

'Breaking Bad' very good series, recommended

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Fantastic Mr. Fox.

I liked it!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,203 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Went to see 'Going the Distance' (Drew Barrymore) on a free preview this evening.
    Quite liked it despite myself. I'm sure my mother would say 'now was there any need for that language?' but there were a number of laugh out loud moments.
    I think this will be one 'chick flick' many boyfriends will find themselves dragged to and will find themselves unexpectedly enjoying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Watched The Thing again to show it to the GF before that goddamn "prequel" comes out.

It's still a great and disgusting movie and still sets the bar as to why practical effects will always triumph over CGI in terms of horror.

That head sprouting legs still gives me the willies *shudders*

Also forgot Ennio Morricone did the soundtrack for this, the dull "duu-duu" beat suits the grimness of it all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

The Damned United again, for about the 400th time... And it is still brilliant! Michael Sheen is Brian Clough... Poetic licence is taken with certain facts, but it brilliantly captures English football in the 1960's/70's. Gritty, dirty and with a few punches thrown.

While the novel might be better, the film is no slouch, and is well worth a look for anyone who might even only have a passing interest in football.

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭ultain

Duggy747 wrote: »
    Watched The Thing again to show it to the GF before that goddamn "prequel" comes out.

It's still a great and disgusting movie and still sets the bar as to why practical effects will always triumph over CGI in terms of horror.

Also forgot Ennio Morricone did the soundtrack for this, the dull "duu-duu" beat suits the grimness of it all.
    Ah yeah great sci-fi flick:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

Duggy747 wrote: »

+1 great movie - must watch it again - is it easy to get on DVD?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

watched the girl who played with fire last night, good show just as good as the girl with the dragon tattoo which i watched a few weeks ago, looking forward to watching the third part tonight,

i liked lizabeths story line, really showed why she is who she is, a lot of her father in her, which is what makes her who she is, and why she seems to hate herself so much,

still dont understand the purpose of making it again for hollywood, these first two were solid, best of luck trying to better them,

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

3000th Post.

w00t! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

damn missed it :D and a disgrace you didnt mention a film,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

don ramo wrote: »
    watched the girl who played with fire last night, good show just as good as the girl with the dragon tattoo which i watched a few weeks ago, looking forward to watching the third part tonight,

i liked lizabeths story line, really showed why she is who she is, a lot of her father in her, which is what makes her who she is, and why she seems to hate herself so much,

still dont understand the purpose of making it again for hollywood, these first two were solid, best of luck trying to better them,
    where did you watch the girl who played with fire i did not know this was released yet.i loved the books and the girl with the dragon tattoo movie was A1.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement