Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭purple_hatstand

Watched Partir (Leaving) last night - great to see Kristin Scott-Thomas in another emotionally mature role. Very European and effortlessly brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Mesrine: Part 1 & 2 - Absolutely loved them. Vincent Cassel is a fantastic actor and really played the part imo. 2 great movies. Think Public enemies except better.

The Prestige - Since I had seen all of Nolans other movies, I decided to throw this on. Another very impressive movie by him and another one that could do with a second viewing.

The A-Team - Firstly I was wrecked tired when I saw it so I was kinda dozing off towards the end but still for what it was it was enjoyable nonsense. I thought Face was a bit of a creep in it though while Murdoch (Sharlto Copley) stole the show. Looking forward to his next feature.

Dark City Directors Cut - I have to say it's a massive surprise this film wasn't more successful. I heard the theatrical version gives away a lot of the plot in the beginning but this version is fantastic. Only thing is I know a lot of people would probably hate it due to some of the special effects in it. Can't believe I hadn't seen it before.

Green Zone - It was good. Thats about it really, not a patch on the Bourne movies but it had it's moments.

The Hurt Locker - A tad overrated by the critics anyway. A very different take on the war movie that was very good but I wouldn't say it was fantastic.

Sunshine - Movie about relighting the Sun. Have to say I love the Soundtrack for it. Surface of the Sun is an excellent track. I really rate Cillian Murphy as an actor and himself and Chris Evans were great in this. Anyway it was a good movie but a bit much at some stages. the first 2/3rds were excellent anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

In a Lonely Place, this one is a lesser known Bogie film but acting is excellent. Gloria Grahame and Bogart make a great pair.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,446 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Watched Partir (Leaving) last night - great to see Kristin Scott-Thomas in another emotionally mature role. Very European and effortlessly brilliant.

KST was great in that film, but unfortunately I felt it played out like too many other 'affair' dramas like Unfaithful and the like. Some nicely observed character moments, and a palpable sense of desperation, but overall it just didn't do enough new or interesting enough for me!

Saw Beautiful Kate today, from Rachel Ward. Again, not necessarily all that original, and a bit melodramatic. The atmosphere, though, is excellent - you can definitely feel the tense, overpowering heat. Nicely observed in general, with some great performances from the cast (Rachel Griffiths is the only one I recognised, but they all do a good job, especially Bryan Brown). Almost preferred the flashbacks to the 'contemporary' action. Definitely the atmosphere and beautiful photography that make this worth watching, plus moments of interesting characterisation amongst the melodrama!

Finally got around to watching High Plains Drifter too. Fantastic Western, perhaps the most demented 'revenge' film ever concocted :pac: It doesn't quite have the directorial confidence of Leone, but Eastwood does a damn fine job. Explores the best and worst characteristics of the 'Stranger' character, often far darker than the 'Dollars' trilogy too. Loved the
    supernatural hints particularly, and the image of the blood red town.
    All I really missed was a Morricone score! Otherwise, a fine Western, and personally a bit disappointed Eastwood doesn't make films as dark and interesting as this anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

harr wrote: »
    where did you watch the girl who played with fire i did not know this was released yet.i loved the books and the girl with the dragon tattoo movie was A1.
    my cousin in sweden sent them over;):D

jusy watched the girl who kicked the hornets nest, wrapped up the story brillianty,
    it was great watching the court scenes, with the prosecuter digging his hole unbeknownst to himself,

i kinda wanted lisabeth to be more happy about getting her life back, but i suppose it would take a long time to put that kind of past behind you, i was dissapointed at first, but now (20 mins later) i actually liked the ending,

must say this is an essential trilogy to watch, and most deffinately before hollywood make theres, i liked how each film carried into each other, how the story just grew and grew, starting with an old man, who just wants one last persepective on evidence of what happened to his niece, to tearing down one of the goverments most secretive agencies,

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭A V A

i just watched james bond die another day , , , thought it was great :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

don ramo wrote: »

jusy watched the girl who kicked the hornets nest, wrapped up the story brillianty,
    it was great watching the court scenes, with the prosecuter digging his hole unbeknownst to himself,

i kinda wanted lisabeth to be more happy about getting her life back, but i suppose it would take a long time to put that kind of past behind you, i was dissapointed at first, but now (20 mins later) i actually liked the ending,

must say this is an essential trilogy to watch, and most deffinately before hollywood make theres, i liked how each film carried into each other, how the story just grew and grew, starting with an old man, who just wants one last persepective on evidence of what happened to his niece, to tearing down one of the goverments most secretive agencies

DUDE!! SPOILERS FFS!! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

jusy watched the girl who kicked the hornets nest, wrapped up the story brillianty, it was great watching the court scenes, with the prosecuter digging his hole unbeknownst to himself,

must say this is an essential trilogy to watch, and most deffinately before hollywood make theres, i liked how each film carried into each other, how the story just grew and grew, starting with an old man, who just wants one last persepective on evidence of what happened to his niece, to tearing down one of the goverments most secretive agencies,
    cant wait to see them they sound good and seem to follow the books fairly close.i wonder when they will released in ireland and what cinemas will show them:)

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Mega Piranha - the acting was bad, the CGI was awful, the storyline full of holes. Not bad for wasting time. It wasn't bad in parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭budgemook

Glad I didn't read that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

my bad, sorry, :o

im my defence, it was 20 past 3 in the mornin

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭questioner

7 days, intelligent visceral french-canadian take on last house on the left / i spit on your grave. thoughtful and disgusting. 7.5/10

salt. angelina plays jason bourne. 5.5/10

dark city hd directors cut, not as good as i thought it would be.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

my bad, sorry, :o

im my defence, it was 20 past 3 in the mornin
    I'm gutted. I read basically the ending. I was waiting til I had all three before I watched. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

Yean the gulf between HPD and the stuff Eastwood does today is massive. That opening scene is just brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

Carlitos Way.

Hadnt seen it for a few years. Still a great film.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

Had myself a Sweden night and watched the genre-defying and immensely entertaining "Storm" (2005) followed by "Let the Right One In" which had more of a unique feel to it than I was expecting. Duly impressed by both.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

I watched Spartan last night. Directed by David Mamet and starring Val Kilmer. It was out in 2004 but I'd never seen it before. I had heard good things about it and it turned out to be awesome.

Kilmer is excellent in this. Between this and Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang from around the same time it is a real shame his good work was being ignored by audiences.

iv just watched the illusionist and thought i was a great film , the best iv seen edward norton play :) it was a great film , and was more than i expected and had a great thought out story , cant believe i didnt go to see this in the cinema ,:rolleyes: that will teach me

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

A V A wrote: »
    the best iv seen edward norton play

What this the first Ed Norton film you've seen??

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

American History X has to be one of his best. Back on topic I caught Wrong Turn 2 on Film4 last night.A complete rip-off of the Hills Have Eyes,still watched it all though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

Watched Sherlock Holmes on bluray. Thought it was good:)

• Registered Users Posts: 43,901 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Agreed.. definitely one of his weaker films!

Didn't help that it was out the same time as the very different but far superior 'The Prestige', so comparisons were being made left, right and center.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭questioner

the experiment(2010). surprisingly good until the final act when it all falls apart. forest whitaker outstanding as usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Went to see The Last Airbender last night and while i feel confident its not going to be an oscar contender it was actually enjoyable. Admittedly I did go into it with reviews like “Some of the worst acting, action and dialogue you'll endure this year” and “numbs the senses -- and not in a good way” in my mind so it didnt take much to exceed expectations. Certainly some bits of it were just ridiculous like
    the earth benders being imprisoned in an area full of earth and rocks. Apparently in the cartoon they were imprisoned on big oil-rig like platforms in the sea which actually makes sense and given all the ships the fire nation had it would have been logical for the movie if making it somewhat harder for them to escape
    . But overall it kept me entertained for a little under 2 hours so I cant complain.

Oh and as for it being one of the worst movies ever made - I've seen far far worse in the cinema; I'm looking at you Burn After Reading :mad:

nope seen a fair few , i just really liked this film

• Registered Users Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭budgemook

JohnK wrote: »
    Oh and as for it being one of the worst movies ever made - I've seen far far worse in the cinema; I'm looking at you Burn After Reading :mad:

I saw Burn After Reading in the cinema and really enjoyed it. - Worst movie ever made? come on now...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

budgemook wrote: »
    I saw Burn After Reading in the cinema and really enjoyed it. - Worst movie ever made? come on now...

I wouldnt say it was the worst, just one of the them. Saw that in the cinema and the only thing that stopped me from walking out in utter disgust was that my friend was the one driving. Two of my other friends also said afterwards they would have happily left if someone else made the first move.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

I think Burn After Reading requires you to be a certain kind of person to like the film. I am not saying that in a bad way I just know people who really hate it and others who think its epic.

Opr

I am saying it in a bad way

• Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭Jako8

Pineapple Express - Funny enough. I suppose if I was to give it a rating it's be a 7 out of 10.

Hot Rod - meh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

opr wrote: »
    I think Burn After Reading requires you to be a certain kind of person to like the film. I am not saying that in a bad way I just know people who really hate it and others who think its epic.

Opr

I am saying it in a bad way

For me it's also more of a dvd film as opposed to watching it in the cinema with a larger audience. I reckon a lot of people seen Brad Pitt in the trailers and were expecting a more traditional comedy.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement