Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭8mv

Watched Sleepers with my eldest recently. Although the storyline has many flaws, Barry Levinson does a good job as director. Hofmann and De Niro do a great job with their characters, the young actors at the start are fantastic and Kevin Bacon is wonderful. Pity
    he gets blown away half way through.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭budgemook

8mv wrote: »
    Watched Sleepers with my eldest recently. Although the storyline has many flaws, Barry Levinson does a good job as director. Hofmann and De Niro do a great job with their characters, the young actors at the start are fantastic and Kevin Bacon is wonderful. Pity
    he gets blown away half way through.
    haha, i don't think i've ever been so happy to see a character killed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Confessions of a Dangerous Mind - 2002. Whats amazing about this tale is that its based on an alegedly true story! I won't give anything away plot wise if you don't know already :)

George Clooneys directorial debut Confessions is ultimatly works well, for a while I wasn't sure if it was going to amount to more than a collection of groovy performances by a stellar character cast (plus Julia Roberts in a nicely judged cameo) but by the last act as Chuck Barris paranoia starts to get the better of him it all started to hang together.

Why isn't Rutger Hauer a megastar? His turn as a hitman who loves to catch the moment is a delight and he is never anything less than compelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,966 ✭✭✭furiousox

Just watched 'City Island' with Andy Garcia & Julianna Margulies.
    Also features Emily Mortimer and Andy Garcia's daughter as....Andy Garcia's daughter.:)
    Reminded me a bit of 'The Squid And The Whale' but with (a lot) more humour.
    Recommended.

Trailer here...

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/4081950/city_island_movie_trailer/

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 4,169 ✭✭✭JohnnyRyan99

Just watched The Nines starring Ryan Reynolds.. Decent flick, delves a little too in the philosophical for me, but a good strong performence from Reynolds carrying the movie and kept it interesting at times when i started wondering what was going on!

TBH didnt really understand the premise fully!

Jako8 wrote: »
    Pineapple Express - Funny enough. I suppose if I was to give it a rating it's be a 7 out of 10.

Hot Rod - meh.

Aww man i adored Hot Rod... Cool beans?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Prince of Persia, was very meh, some nice effects in places but what on earth was with the accents? why does every "persian" sound like theyre from London? A american accent would have been less irritating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

just watched silence of the lambs again.what an incredible movie.id give anything to see it in the cinema again.on the big screen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

krudler wrote: »
    Prince of Persia, was very meh, some nice effects in places but what on earth was with the accents? why does every "persian" sound like theyre from London? A american accent would have been less irritating.

Probably cos it was made by a Brit (Mike Newell) in England (and Morocco)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭Tristram

Unthinkable - Sweet Jesus. Many things are unthinkable when it comes to this movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭MultiUmm

The Hours - Good film, albeit confusing at certain points. I was disappointed Meryl Streep was only so-so.

A Bronx Tale - Loved this. Thought it was very well made with likeable characters. Nothing complicated about the plot but still really liked it.

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest - Easily best of all 3 tbh. :) Might read the book, I heard a lot of people giving out about how poor the film was compared to it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

sin city last night on rte 2 , one of my favourite movies and one of the coolest movie ever made

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

Inhale (2010) - Averagey thriller/drama about illegal organ trade

Beneath Hill 60 (2010) - Half decent Australian war movie. The main character is played by an actor about 10 or 15 years too old though, very weird choice and makes him seem like a paedo in some scenes :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

Dr Dolittle on TV last Sunday night. Really forgot how good it was, and tbh laugh out loud funny in parts :o, plus brings a tear to your eye too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Saganist

Knight & Day.

Starts good and then goes absolutely nowhere. Its awful.

True Lies.

Arnie at his most ridiculous best. :)

Sunshine:

What a movie. Murphy is class.

Withnail & I:

possibly my fav film of all time. Gets funnier every time I see it :)

"We want the finest wines available to all humanity, we want them here and we want them now"... :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

28 Days Later - Not really into horrors but I've been watching a few Cillian Murphy movies recently. Have to say I liked it except for the child actor.. She was appalling..

2001: A Space Odyssey - First time seeing it. It's a fantastic achievement for the time.. The miniatures, sets and effects are absolutely fantastic. Now onto the film. It's a great film.. the opening with the apes is fantastic and the mission to Jupiter is the best part of the movie however (and I'm sure this is a common one since I read a persons opinion back a few pages) it can be very slow at times... makes some scenes quite boring and unnecessaryly long. Still it's a great movie, maybe after another viewing I might think better of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭johndoe99

Just finished watching Terminator 2: Skynet Edition on blu-ray, i forgot just how great that movie was, last saw it back in 91.

The Skynet Edition has all 3 versions:
    Theatrical, Special Edition, Extended Special Edition

the Extended contains an extra 19 minutes and finishes with an alternate ending.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Watched The Mothman Prophecies on the box tonight, absolutely terrible movie i'm not sure why i bothered watching til the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭johndoe99

Watched The Mothman Prophecies on the box tonight, absolutely terrible movie i'm not sure why i bothered watching til the end.

i know what u mean, its the kinda movie where the screenplay is sound, but the director and cast make a ball up of it, but u have to stick with it to see who the creepy guy is.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Boogie Nights - I'm ashamed to say I'd never seen this before. But it has been on my to-watch list forever. Fantastic film.

Matchstick Men - decent film but I'm not sure about the ending. The actors are great though.

The Game - something of a forgotten gem. It's a masterclass in camerawork, cinematography and production design. And while it might be more of a straightforward thriller, it has quite a few thematic similarities with Fincher's subsequent film, Fight Club.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,937 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

tok9 wrote: »
    2001: A Space Odyssey - ... it can be very slow at times...

that's Kubrick for you, all his films (well from "2001" onwards) are glacially slow - you just have to settle into them and get used to the pacing. "Barry Lyndon" is probably the ultimate example, fantastic movie but it moves at a snail's pace.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭A V A

watched old dogs with robin williams and john travolta , i thought it was quite good :)

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭ShaneIRL

Salt - Very good film IMO and always good to look at Angelina too.

Knight and Day - Avoid at all costs

Toy Story 3 - Good film but not worth the extra to see it in 3D

A-Team - A must see if you were a fan of the series

Inception - Great film

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭AssaultedPeanut

Mysterious Skin - Brilliant, but a rough one to watch

• Registered Users Posts: 19,299 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

'Eine Frau in Berlin'

Very solid film shot in that serious, no nonsense "German" way, that depicts a subject that for a long time was simply swept under the carpet. The mass orgy of rape and murder by Red Army soldiers of females in Eastern Europe. 'Eine Frau in Berlin' is based on the 'Anonyma' diary of a Berlin woman, Marta Hillers, who had remained nameless up until 2 years after her death. Upon the original release of her diary in the 1950's, there was such an outrage that she was compelled to with-hold any future reprints.

Hillers, played namelessly by Nina Hoss, undergoes a series of brutal rapes after the Soviets roll into the streets of Berlin, which has become a city of rubble, populated by woman and old men unfit for military service. The women (and girls) are taken by force or threat of lethal force and are utterly helpless in their hopeless situation. Hillers then decides to take matters into her own hands as best as she can in the situation that presents itself to her and tries to make sure that she decides who is to rape her, thereby giving herself what little control she is able to assign to herself. In doing so, she "enlists" the "protection" of a Soviet Officer, by offering herself to him. Over time, the officer and Hillers form a strange relationship forged in no small part by the utter chaos that surrounds them both.

'Eine Frau in Berlin' covers some rough ground and it's a brave move by the producers to film the project in the first place. The location, vehicles, uniforms and people all look incredibly authentic and the viewer really does get the feel of what it was like to be a civilian on a Berlin street in the final weeks of the war. In that respect, it's a great companion piece to the excellent 'Downfall', a film which refused to touch upon the subject of mass rape at all.

However, the film isn't half as harsh as it should have been, given the fact that the Soviet soldiers raped females "from 8 to 80" and one feels that there was still a lot left unsaid. The film is also confined to the Berliner's ordeals, which I suppose is to be expected. However, it wasn't just in Berlin, or Germany that Soviet troops unleashed their base actions. Throughout Poland, Hungary, Latvia and other countries, including Russia as well, women were subject to this barbarity. There are even stories of women from "liberated" concentration camps being raped.

Of course, just like it's wrong to suggest that all German soldiers were nazis, it's equally wrong to suggest that all Red Army personnel engaged in rape and murder and the film goes some way to showing this.

In the end, the vast majority of Russians, like every soldier in WWII regardless of their nation, simply wanted the war to be over so that they could go home.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Watched The Experiment, starring Adrian Brody and Forest Whitaker. It's a remake of Das Experiment (2001)

The plot is loosely based around the Stanford Prison Experiment of 1971 where civilians signed up to be locked in a prison for 2 weeks as part of a behaviour study. Most of the civilians are prisoners while the rest become the prison guards.

Everybody must keep to strict rules (No violence, correct order to be maintained, etc) or else the experiment is cancelled and nobody goes home with a paycheck of $14,000.

It makes for an interesting concept but this movie fails at it. Brody is fine, Whitaker gives an excellent turn but other than that the movie descends into stupidity. Plus we're subject to Brody's hippy character having the only flashbacks consist of a girl he just met before he under-took the experiment........puh-lease!

Naturally the experiment goes wrong and both the prisoners and guards go against each other in more elaborte measures.
    I found this to be a fatal flaw in the movie. At the start the scientists stressed the rules that any kind of violence would result in the experiment being cancelled...............yet people get the shìte beat out of them.............then a prisoner is killed in full view of the cameras...............but the experiment carries on anyways. Oh and 4 days in after one of the guards couldn't have a private **** he decided to rape one of the prisoners, stupid!

Before you know it, the movie ends with us learning nothing and absolutley zero questions answered. It's not a bad movie, but more of an awful waste of a decent conecpt.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

I loved Das Experiment but it's a while since I've seen it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭Jako8

Shutter Island - I haven't read the book so I can't compare the two. However, going on the film alone I really enjoyed it. :) I thought everything was nicely edited and the story was told in a good order. (Probably the same way the book told the story) Rating 8.5/10.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Inception: Seen it twice now and it's every bit as good the second time around and you can also focus more attention on the details. Although this is not always a good thing, WTF is up with the way Ellen Page walks?...It's like some neanderthal Cave Man.

Whip It: Yet more Ellen Page in a by the numbers "growing up" story directed by Drew Barrymore set around the sport of Roller Derby. If you have seen one of these you can tell exactly what is going to happen and when it's going to happen. Not a bad film, just really predictable, but the extras are hot.

Resident Evil- Degeneration:I have not played a Resident Evil game since the first or second one so don't know how or if this fits in with the continuity within the games. Basically plays out like an extended cut scene with animation about on par with current games. Not very good

Oldboy: I don't think I can add anything that has not already been said about this. Brilliant film, everything from characters, to music and scenery is great. My one small complaint is that
    Woo Jin's revenge is a little too telegraphed but still amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Oldboy: I don't think I can add anything that has not already been said about this. Brilliant film, everything from characters, to music and scenery is great. My one small complaint is that
    Woo Jin's revenge is a little too telegraphed but still amazing.

Oh ya I saw this at the weekend too. Fantastic movie.. The fight scene is unreal!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Bedazzled (original) - very overrated.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement