Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭duckworth

bnt wrote: »
    A quick PS re The Leopard (yesterday): last screening is at the IFI tonight (7:30), and they've had to move it to the #1 cinema due to the demand. I saw it in the tiny #3 cinema, which was packed on a Wednesday afternoon. It's a real Big Screen Technicolor classic.

Balls! Didn't realise it was finishing tonight. I had planned going on Saturday. Bleh...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The Entity (1981) what can one say? The supposesly true story of mother of three who is targeted and assaulted by an unseen demon thingy, she visits a university shrink who looks for a traditional diagnosis but then finds the parapsychology unit also interested in her - who will be proven right? Who could possibly believe this is a true tale?

Barbara Hershey is a fine lead and this really is beneath her under-appriciated talent.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

"Seven Samurai"

It's a bit on the long winded side and I'm not really a fan of the oriental habit of completely over-acting every scene (or at least that's how it seems to me) but I did enjoy this film and, while the story has often been copied (most notably as "The Magnificent Seven") this is definitely the best telling of the story I've ever seen.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,446 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Nobody Knows

Very affecting and moving Japanese film, from the director of the excellent recent Still Walking. Tells the story of four young children abandoned by their mother, with the eldest son the focus. Based on a true story, which was supposedly far grizzlier than the film, it takes it's time telling the story without any exaggerated drama. It's tough viewing at over two hours, but there's a lot of warmth and emotion, and the child actors are absolutely fantastic. It's grim at times, deeply moving at others, and the rare moment of childhood fun and energy from these kids in a horrible situation. Highly recommended!

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭BlueNemo

An Education - simply wonderful. It's witty, enjoyable, and Peter Sarsgaard as David really draws you in. I think I've watched it a total of 6 times since I got it on DVD :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

abandoned(its brittany murphys last movie) oh my god what a shocker.it was awful.besides the fact that the story has been done before numerous times.its like it was shot with a handycam and on a budget of 100$.dean cain is in it as well.they may as well have had a cardboard cut out of him he was ****e to.

if brittany hadnt died, her career certainly would have after this beauty.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭A V A

just watched 44inch chest and it is the most pointless film i have ever seen . . . really slow and boring

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭LuckyFinigan

recently I watched

big river man, its a documentry about a slovien endurence swimmer that swims the amazon. hes a alcoholic and complety out of shape but he stiil goes for it. Its one of the maddest things ive seen in a while but I really liked it.

once, it was ok a few funny monents but its not the best irish film out there.

lord of war, enjoyed this more that I though I would considering nicolas cage was in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭Richard Noggin

I saw Grown Ups with Adam Sandler yesterday.Had a whale of a time watching it.The acting is superb as always and the chemistry between the stars is wonderful. Packed with hilarious gags from start to finish. Rob Schnieder's performance is excellent,Chris Rock is sharp as ever. Despite being a comedy,it has a powerful message and it will really give you a more rewarding outlook on life.It certainly made my week.

9/10.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

A western with Samurai Toshiro Mifune , Charles Bronson and Ursula Andress's Boobs ..........what more could you want?.A bit dated ,but i still enjoyed it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_E9vFLw-R0

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Jean de Florette/Manon des Sources

Magnificent story, powerfully told, especially in the second film. Manon is surely up there with The Godfather Part II as one of the greatest sequels ever made. And as with The Godfather, it's hard to separate the two films. Classic cinema.

watched miss march hahaha this is real funny

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭ultain

Jean de Florette/Manon des Sources

Magnificent story, powerfully told, Classic cinema.

One of my favorites..wonderful film.

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭ultain

A V A wrote: »
    just watched 44inch chest and it is the most pointless film i have ever seen . . . really slow and boring
    I dunno..thaught it was quite good.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

I saw Grown Ups with Adam Sandler yesterday.Had a whale of a time watching it.The acting is superb as always and the chemistry between the stars is wonderful. Packed with hilarious gags from start to finish. Rob Schnieder's performance is excellent,Chris Rock is sharp as ever. Despite being a comedy,it has a powerful message and it will really give you a more rewarding outlook on life.It certainly made my week.

9/10.

I thought this was going to be terrible but actually enjoyed it. At times the it's really really cringeworthy with some terrible gags and acting but then the next scene will have you laughing out loud. If you can get past the bad jokes, it's worth it for the good ones. I think the movie captures really well the chemistry, banter and childsplay between a group of old friends.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Yeah I just watched Grown Ups too, easily one of the funniest movies I've seen in ages!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Way down East - movie from 90 years ago and very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Gerty

The secret In Their Eyes - Saw this last night in the lighthouse. I really enjoyed A Prophet and, even though i have it on DVD but haven't got round to it yet, The White Ribbon should be brilliant, this film still edged them out at the oscars. I suppose that doesn't really mean much. The two i have seen are brilliant and i'm sure the white ribbon will be as well.

I particularly enjoyed the football match scene, thought that was shot beautifully. And this film was surprisingly funny at times. Great stuff altogether. RENT IT.

Rushmore - Wes Anderson does it again. Very funny and Bill and Jason are terrific.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭johndoe99

watched "The Professionals (1966)" on bluray last night, the transfer was perfect, it would match any new bluray release in quality:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0060862/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iE7MSE0bDe8

master and commander brilliant film , i enjoyed this !!!!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Iron Man 2 - meh

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Shutter Island, I enjoyed it even If I heard the ending, Ian Dempsey and his big mouth.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,839 ✭✭✭s8n

some great suggestions on this thread - watched "An Education" last night - Really enjoyed it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Wallace & Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit (BBC1 yeterday) the film that signaled that Nick Parks "parochial" comedy style won't always travel well enough to please Hollywoods bean counters but is a 75 minute hoot if you get the gags and his "mise en scene" of life in a Northern Town. Some of the entendres were more single than double but that adds to the amusement in a PG rated film. Visually its a treat and my favourite W&G outing in that respect though the big action climax is a bit low key - I was hoping Tottington Hall would get blown up at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Watched Falling Down last night - such a great movie and I hadnt seen it in ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭bubbaloo

I watched "The Pursuit of Happyness" last night on 5 - I thought it was great. A little bit dragged out and morbid but brilliant acting and a great ending.

watched notorious . . great film

• Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Noffles

Iron Man 2 - Class, brainless fun.
    Grown Ups - Adam Sandler and his mates make a film about f*ck all, I'm a Sandler fan but this was almost as bad as that Zohan ****
    Centurion - Didn't seem to have a plot, plenty of blood though
    Black Death - dreary and fairly naff
    Robin Hood - Thought it was ok really
    Salt - Not bad at all
    Prince of Persia - Entertaining enough and the lead female attractive enough to distract from the down sides
    MacGruber - turned it off, it was SO bad!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,299 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

'Liar Liar'

Excellent vehicle for Jim Carrey to pull as many faces as he possibly can and I have to say he does it very well (I'm not a fan). Carrey's an unscrupulous lawyer who has a habit of spoofing and letting everyone down, but then finds himself one day unable to lie and forced to tell the truth. The story itself is a pretty awful schmaltzly garb in that typical Hollywood way. The way only Americans can do and it features a child you'd love...

...to smash in the face.

But somehow it all manages to come together and Carrey is perfect in the central role.

A harmless 90 minutes.

'Rocky'
    Classic 70's boxing movie that everyone will be aware of. Silvester Stallone wrote and starred in this low budget cheapo about a 30 year old circut slugger, involved as a "heavy" in organised crime, who manages to get a chance at the world heavy weight title...when the champion Apollo Creed handpicks him from a bunch of nobodies for a show fight, convinced that he will knock out the great white dope in three rounds. The original contender lined up had broken his hand.

'Rocky' is much, much better than you remember it and it's no doubt been sullied by the terrible 80's sequels. 'Rocky II was made in 1979 and is quite good. Had they been left at that, more people would remember them fondly.

The film is more of a character study of Philidelphia lowlife, than an out and out boxing movie. The fiight itself is left til 20 minutes before the end and it doesn't conclude the way you might think.

The low budget cracks show through here and there and the editing is off in some places, but overall it's an admirable effort by Stallone, who came out of nowhere to handle the reins of an oscar winning film, which is no mean feat.

A special nod should go to the great Burgess Meredith who plays Micky, the low rent fight club owner and on time boxer himself.

"Ya bum!"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Noffles

Splice - Watched yesterday, not bad really, better than I thought it would be

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement