Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭A V A

robin hood. . .fcuking brilliant film , i didnt think it would be that good and thought Russell crow did a great job such a brilliant actor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭Black Magician

was watching Memento http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0209144/ over the week end, brilliant!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

United 93 was on tv Saturday night and even though the subject matter is upsetting I have to admit Paul Greengrass did an excellent job and obviously he had to take some artistic license the majority are from talking to relatives of the passangers and some of the flights recorder which have been released. Mind you I cried for most of it. Well worth a watch

Also ended up watching Singing in the Rain today - an old one but enjoyable.

Not a bad movie. I love the last line...Lets roll!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

This is England. Really enjoyed it

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭ultain

'The bleeding' awful film..Micheal madsen and vinnie jones!!
    Should have known better

'My son my son what have you done' made a boring film..sorry dad.

'Robin hood' beautiful scenery and Set's..usual story after that..good guy(weighed down with guilt) bad guy, save the children etc, nice to see how the legend began & great to see Richard the lion heart get it in the neck:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,031 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Tony EH wrote: »
    That happens all the time. People see different things in different films. Upon another viewing I may see it in a totally different light. Yes, Rocky is essentially a silly story, I agree. However, it worked for the first 2 movies. But, as I said...by number 3, the formula is really wearing thin.

Yes, it's supposedly 1981 and 10 fights on from Rocky's title winning fight in 1976. Meaning, Rocky is about 35 or so and should retired long ago. That's fine. However, the character changes are simply unbelievable, especially Adrian. There's really no getting around that.

Ummm...I know. I just saw the movie a few days ago.

Look, we obviously have very different opinions on 'Rocky III' and that's fine. It's only a film and really not that good a film anyway when all things are considered. But, it's grand to have different views.

Also, regardless of the showmanship by the boxers you've pointed out, the Rocky/Apollo training angle is still a very contrived one. It suits the purposes of the film, but doesn't really sit well.

The bottom line, in any case, is that the 3rd film in the series is still standing very much apart from the beginning of the series. In fact, III, IV and V are light years away from I and II and it's easy to see where the downward spiral begins.
    Look lads this is how it works...Sylvester Stallone sits down and writes an original story eg rocky and first blood, gets the money together, gets it released, all on a budget, the movies become legendary and then hollywood lashes the money at him for sequals and that's where we get the II's and III's and IV's......they can never capture the emotions of the first but they are highly entertaining!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,299 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Voltwad wrote: »
    This is England. Really enjoyed it

The follow up series is on Channel 4 right now. 'This is England 86'.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 willonzo

Was sick over the weekend, so had a bit of a movie oddyssey...

Exit Through the Giftshop - pretty good documentary, though I would have liked to see more of Banksy's stuff than the mental French guy ripping everyone off.

The Man from Earth - I'd heard really good things about this, and I like intelligent low-budget sci-fi, so imagine my disappointment when it turns out to be a made for TV movie of the week, all set in one room with the star wattage of the guy who played the alien doctor from Star Trek: Enterprise. I turned it off after what I assume was meant to be a shocking revelation.

Happiness - Hasn't seen this since it was in the cinemas over 10 years ago. I must have had a weird sense of humour back then, because I remember it being really funny, but this time around just found it depressing. I had the sequel (?) Life In Wartime cued up to watch after, but couldn't face it, possibly an effect of the flu. Still, great performances from Philip Seymore Hoffman and loads of actors you see in indie films all the time.

Paranormal Activity - Ghost stories used to be scary when I was a kid and actually believed in ghosts. A while back, I had to spend a lot of effort convincing my nephew that werewolves don't exist. When I was a kid, my big brother would spend the same amount of effort trying to convince me Dracula was real. Who's the more foolish I wonder? Long story short, the film's rubbish.

The Entity - Based on a true story, eh? Yes, the true story of a mentaller.

Taken - Unintentional comedy of the year for me. If only Liam Neeson had been like this in Star Wars. Three thumbs up.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭TheEscapist

Insomnia
    The only Christopher Nolan film I hadn't seen and it was okay. It's a decent thriller with a good cast and I actually enjoyed Al Pacino in it which is something I haven't said about him in a lot of his last few films.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 JohnGeek

I recommend Avatar, it's a masterpiece.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

Exit Through the Giftshop - pretty good documentary, though I would have liked to see more of Banksy's stuff than the mental French guy ripping everyone off.

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

Insomnia
    The only Christopher Nolan film I hadn't seen and it was okay. It's a decent thriller with a good cast and I actually enjoyed Al Pacino in it which is something I haven't said about him in a lot of his last few films.
    Dig up the original Swedish version when you get a chance. It's actually a little better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭padma

bnt wrote: »
    Over the last ten days I've watched the whole Lord Of The Rings (Extended Edition) trilogy again, for the first time in about 18 months. Since the last time I've read the book, and this time I watched all the extras for each part before the film itself, so I was watching for production tricks etc.

A fun thing I noticed in the extras: when they were shooting the Hobbits coverage of the final scene at the Grey Havens, Sean Astin (Sam) forgot to put his waistcoat back on again after lunch one day, so they had to re-shoot half a day's film, and everyone hated him for a while. (It was a difficult scene to act - lots of long faces and tears.) The re-shoot was out of focus, so they had to do it for a third time, so the hobbits were really annoyed by the time they got through it. Then, when you see the finished cut, there are shots in there of Sam without his waistcoat, even in the Extended Edition - so it looks like the editors had had enough and said "stuff it"! :cool:

Lol, I remember seeing that in the extra's, the second time around the crying was real, due to them all knowing they'd be leaving the production, after something like 3 years together. Roll on the Hobbit!!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Dempsey wrote: »
    You missed the point of the film tbh

I agree, the characters of Rocky and Adrian (not Adrianna btw) are different because THEY are different, this is after years of money and success, do you honestly believe living as a millionaire for years wouldnt cause someone to come of their shell a bit? And Adrian has no problem shouting at people in the earlier movies, she has a screaming match with Paulie which causes her collapse in the second movie.
    The entire point of the film is that Rocky has been mollycoddled by Mickey into believing hes a great fighter when he isnt, he made it through the fights with Apollo on guts and passion, now he's become a victim of his own success and lost the drive that got him there in the first place. This is pointed out glarlingly when Apollo comes to visit him at the gym and tells him he's lost his edge that he had during their last fight. A friendship born out of mutual respect isnt contrived either, its a plot device that works well for its purpose. Rocky III may be cheesy, but it still works and is far from a bad movie, I've said it a million times that Stallone is far more accomplished a screenwriter and director than he'll ever be given credit for in Hollywood. He may have become a parody of himself in later years but Rambo and Rocky Balboa were superb.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,966 ✭✭✭furiousox

Seasons 1/2/3/4 of Mad Men (I'm hooked)
    Black Dynamite (ok)
    The Expendables (Tripe)

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

Watched this again tonight on youtube, its a bit dated ,but still a great movie.True story about jewish prisoners killing their SS guards and escaping.
    True Life Escape from a Nazi Death Camp

Sobibor was one of the Nazi's death camps during World War II. The 600 Jewish laborers enslaved there yearned for their freedom and hoped to escape. The Nazi commandant had a standing order that any prisoner escapes would result in the execution of the same number of remaining prisoners. Against this terrifying backdrop, the prisoners plan a daring mass escape. They will all go, or die trying!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyzgwVwDTq0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

a serious man and i did not like it , love all the other Coen stuff , but this ?/

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭travelguru

Kick Ass funny movie

just watched termintor salvation and have say it was pretty awsome.it was my first time seeing it !! some part reminded me of mad max and films like that!there was scene where they were holding a machine down and it was exactly like transformers the way they were hold the long machine thingy they caught :rolleyes::rolleyes:
    when i was watching this some parts made think i was watching land of the rising sun the way christian was acting , it was almost the same imo

• Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

duckysauce wrote: »
    a serious man and i did not like it , love all the other Coen stuff , but this ?/
    If you're bothered, I'd recommend digging out the thread on it on this forum and having a read of the first few pages. Lots of interesting interpretations which might make it click somewhat for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭budgemook

mikhail wrote: »
    If you're bothered, I'd recommend digging out the thread on it on this forum and having a read of the first few pages. Lots of interesting interpretations which might make it click somewhat for you.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055746446

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭RoRoCullen

Heat. LOVED it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

Watching The Invention of Lying now... Not a big fan of Ricky Gervais. I liked The Office but never liked any of his stand up to be honest.

That scene with his mother dying in the hospital and he is 'lying' about what happens when you do and trying to ease her into death is actually a very powereful, clever scene and brilliantly acted!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,966 ✭✭✭furiousox

Just watched 'The Killer Inside Me'
    Some uncomfortable scenes but great performances all round, especially Casey Affleck.

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Watching The Invention of Lying now... Not a big fan of Ricky Gervais. I liked The Office but never liked any of his stand up to be honest.

That scene with his mother dying in the hospital and he is 'lying' about what happens when you do and trying to ease her into death is actually a very powereful, clever scene and brilliantly acted!

I hated that movie quite a lot, but you're right that that one scene was incredibly well done. I also like that lying and religion are the same thing :)

It really annoyed me that in the film he could say anything and people believed him...because apparently not only can people not lie, they're also never wrong or crazy.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,446 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

My Son, My Son What Have Ye Done - I'm a big Herzog fan, but didn't think this one worked tbh. It took on a lot of executive producer's David Lynch's worst excesses, and thread too close to pretentious ambiguity as opposed to thought provoking ambiguity! Some interesting imagery, the uneasy tone is pure Herzog and Michael Shannon's performance is curious thought bat**** insane. But it just didn't grab me like the best Herzog at all, and felt too cold and purposefully 'difficult'.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

First Blood, had a hankering to watch a solid Stallone movie after the sour taste The Expendables gave me. Plus the GF never saw it before and really enjoyed it.

It's still a great movie that gets unfairly bundled with the cartoony sequels (as awesome as they are in their own right :pac:).

The actors are just right in this flick, Brian Dennehy as the king shìt asshole cop, Richard Crenna as the ultimate 80's military guy, and Stallone giving a quiet but great performance as John J. Rambo. Also David Caruso from CSI: Miami is looking fresh fraced here. Pointless Trivia: The death screams from the enemies in Golden Axe were actually the sampled screams of Caruso after Rambo stabbed him up the arse :pac:

It's funny to think that this guy:
    brian-dennehy-in-first-blood1.jpg

started the chain reaction of Rambo's rampage of slaughter that resulted in soldiers from Burma being turned into goo:
    rambo-two-disc-special-edition-20080515001448398-000.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 19,299 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

krudler wrote: »
    I agree, the characters of Rocky and Adrian (not Adrianna btw)

Adrian is short for Adriana.

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭ucd.1985

Please use spoiler tags.

Thanks

• Advertisement

watched saints and soldiers - thought it was ok but was a bit dry at times and lacked a story t o it

terminator salvation - was ok great scenes in it but was nothing compared to the old films !!! thought ii was watching batman of the future

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement