Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭FlawedGenius

*snip*
    Frozen, 7/10, very good film.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

I liked this film,a knight Templar from sweden.Some good fight scenes and a good story.

http://www.youtube.com/v/MGFzEMPP4e4?fs=1&hl=en_US

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭-gilly-09-

Just stumbled across "Loose Change" about 9/11. Not into conspiracy theories at all but was quite interesting. It kept me watching
    Not really a film but at the same it made me pause " I am Legend" which is a decent film and slightly depressing at moments.

The Losers
    OK..watchable but forgettable, not one i would need to see again.

Kick Ass
    Brillant film ,great fun,not to be missed.I laughed my head off.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The Special Relationship (2010) BBC/HBO, the political and personal relationship between Blair and Clinton. Michael Sheen for the third time for asking as Tone and Dennis Quaid as Randy Bill. Both excellent as was Hope Davis as Hillary. Interesting to know how accurate it is, by the end Bill Clinton is accusing Blair or selling out the progressive dream which you wouldn't expect from a Yank of either mainstream party.

• Advertisement

Dogtooth
    Watched this tonight.This is one strange film.
    Three children are taught to fear the world by their deceitful father in a chiling movie that evokes the Josef Fritzl case

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dogtooth_(film)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,446 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Dogtooth
    Watched this tonight.This is one strange film.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dogtooth_(film)

I adore that film above all else released this year. Think it's just been released on DVD? Hope it enjoys some level of cult success, because it's absolutely mental genius.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

I watched a campy, fun, rock and roll vampire movie called Suck, it was pretty good, like a mix between This Is Spinal Tap and Dracula, there's even a hilarious Renfield type roadie guy, Alice Cooper and Iggy Pop also appear, as well as Moby for some reason.
    Trailer:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

Frozen, decent film, 3 friends are skiing for the weekend and convince the chair lift operator to let them up on the mountain for one last run, due to a series of unfourtunate events they get trapped halfway up, and no-one knows they're there,

8/10

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Duggy747 wrote: »
    First Blood, had a hankering to watch a solid Stallone movie after the sour taste The Expendables gave me. Plus the GF never saw it before and really enjoyed it.

It's still a great movie that gets unfairly bundled with the cartoony sequels (as awesome as they are in their own right :pac:).

The actors are just right in this flick, Brian Dennehy as the king shìt asshole cop, Richard Crenna as the ultimate 80's military guy, and Stallone giving a quiet but great performance as John J. Rambo. Also David Caruso from CSI: Miami is looking fresh fraced here. Pointless Trivia: The death screams from the enemies in Golden Axe were actually the sampled screams of Caruso after Rambo stabbed him up the arse :pac:

I love First Blood, its been unfairly labelled as a brainless action movie for years but it isnt, theres only 1 person killed in the entire film. Its a pity Stallone typecast himself into an action hero actor as he was a genuine talent at one stage, his speech at the end of First Blood is brilliant:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭A V A

i thought it was funny, couldnt stop giggling but great actor

Screw it I'm watching Rambo tonight :D

Last night I watched Se7en, Its still as powerful as it ever was 15 years later, it really doesnt get the recognition it deserves though. Fincher's direction is extraordinary, you can practically smell the grime and filth from the city and the whole film has a feeling of grimy unpleasantness the whole way through.
    The city is as much an important character as anyone else, you really feel like its the gates of hell at times. Always loved how its never specifically named where the film is set, most likely LA but never certain. Like Blade Runner, the cityscape is a central part of the film, nasty, dirty, constantly raining except for the desert set finale which cleverly echoes John Doe's first note to Somerset.
    Its a testament to how powerful the subject matter is that despite the fact its a movie about a serial killer, no murder is ever shown on screen except for one. We only ever see the aftermath, and Fincher gives us some details about what the victim went through and lets our imagination create the rest. Not without it shocking moments though, the Sloth victim is a classic scare that still unnerves and the finale is still a shocking revelation. And to think the studio wanted to change it so Mills would chase Doe and end in a shootout, but Pitt and Fincher were having none of it so fought to keep the now infamous original ending.
    Howard Shore's brooding but unintrusive score is brilliant too, constantly keeping you on edge during the murder scenes. Oh, and those opening titles are still fantastic, with the remix of Nine Inch Nail's Closer setting the scene from the outset, this is going to be a nasty, hard film to watch, and boy does it ever live up to that promise...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

^ I was just about to watch Se7en tonight.

Re: the ending, it still was compromised somewhat. Fincher wanted the film to end on a cut to black immediately after what happens with Mills and Doe. But the preview audiences reacted so negatively to it that the studio made him tack on the epilogue with Freeman's voice over. Everyone concerned seemed quite displeased with it on the commentary track, but the fact that Fincher never changed it for the DVD/Blu-Ray suggests he was afraid to mess with it.

I was going to wait for the blu-ray but I was in the mood to see it last night, I must watch the commentary again when I get it on blu, in regards to the ending, I like the way it ends now, I love Freemans last line.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Saw a great little seventies film on MGM Movies called Smile. It's about a beauty pageant in California and it rips on the whole absurdity of it all. Has a young Annette O'Toole and Melanie Griffith in it and there are some real laugh out loud moments. Seems like it's not very well known. Here's a clip:

Anyone else see it? If not, MGM Movies tend to repeat a lot of stuff so keep a look out for it as it's a good laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Bajingo

Teen Wolf, I liked it..typical teen 80's but with a dodgy looking wolf get up!:D

Peter Pan, the live action one from 2003..I love the story.

Ferris Buelers day off, I really hate Ferris! The movie is fun though.

I saw Inception again and I fell asleep again. I thought I would love this film being a fan of Ellen Page, Leonardo DiCaprio and all things sci-fi..but I didn't!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,901 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Not a movie per se but I watched '102 Minutes That Changed America' - had it Sky+'d from a few weekends back. It's available on 4OD if anyone wants to watch it:

Excellent documentary.. and contains just footage from 9/11 recorded from the ground, surrounding apartments & suburbs - a lot of the footage was previously unseen when the documentary first aired in 2008.

What I loved most was the a real lack of music (there was a very subtle score), and no news-ticker (or explanation of timeline) other than a running-clock that appears every 10 - 15 minutes.

Some really astounding footage in this.. especially some of the footage shot from the ground. And the shots of the dust-cloud descending on the city was quite chilling.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭A V A

just watched knight and day . . .ok film but not the best from both actors

• Registered Users Posts: 3,179 ✭✭✭Ridley

Doctor Who (1996) - Missed it off from my last list. Second time I've seen it but can't remember that much about it. 'Twas alright. Always good to see steampunk... Think it was the first Doctor Who product I sat through apart from Peter Cushing movies way back when I found the "classic" TV series unwatchable until it was brought back. Always liked the concept if not the execution. Not that that's got much to do with the movie, I'm just filling this space. tongue.gif

Lone Wolf and Cub: Sword of Vengeance - First of the Baby Cart series based on the Lone Wolf manga.

Inception - No idea whether I liked it or not when I saw it in the cinema. Surprised it gets so much love when it's not all that disimilar to The Matrix.

Next Avengers: Heroes of Tomorrow - Suppose it's a spin-off to the Ultimate Avengers movies. The children of Marvel's Avengers fighting to save the future from the mistakes of the past. I'm not the target audience so whatever. Like the animation style, similar to Teen Titans. Especially Pym to Beast Boy. Wonder how many people bothering to read this even knows what I'm talking about...

Marley and Me - Can't appreciate it if you've ever been a dog owner. Which presumably you like. wink.gif

The Invention of Lying - Ricky Gervais co-writing, co-directing and starring in what should be an offal Adam Sandler comedy. Man discovers he can lie in a world selectively without tact. It's supposed to be world that tells the absolute truth but it's a gimmick you can spend your time punching holes into its logic. It ain't funny anyway.

Scott Pilgrim Vs The World - Not quote the same on the second viewing since my original thoughts are here.

The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus - Enjoyable enough. Heath Ledger's death seems to have improved it.

Chanbara Beauty - Based on the Onechanbara games (which I haven't played so no idea how faithful it is), it's incredibly cheesy. Zombie hack'n'slash with "Babes, Blades and Bikinis - What more could you ask for?" tagline...

DVD case sez "cantily-clad girl named Aya (Eri Otoguro), her little sister Saki (Chise Nakamura), and a mysterious gun-toting leather chick named Reiko (Manami Hashimoto) who must protect themselves and their post-apocalyptic metropolis from a marauding zombie attack." Which is partly misleading.
    Saki is a villain...

Should probably point out I was loaned this though I doubt people will believe it. wink.gif

Turning back on newly killed zombie? Check. "You killed my [relative]!"? Check. Swordfight in a field? Check. Exposition where the speaker turns away from the person they're addressing and keeps talking? Check.

One guy has is blessed with many a last minute save.

I think the problem it has is that it seems so small scale. The living population seems to consist of around twelve people.

Plus there's clear references to the games which make zero sense (and are irrelevant to the plot) if you haven't played them.

Oh and the peverse streak running through it (almost literally in the case of the naughty nurse :p). The film seems to be an embodiment of the 70s exploitation genre(?) but from what I've seen of the game, that taps more into the Dead or Alive Xtreme Beach Volleyball audience...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭billiejosie

Robin Hood: I was after hearing mixed reviews about this so said I'd give it a gawk. It was grand, I spent most of the film trying to figure out where I had seen Little John and Will Scarlett before to be honest.

Life of David Gale: I saw this again the other night on TV, what a powerful film. The ending just really got to me, such a clever film that makes you think

• Registered Users Posts: 21,031 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

THis week I saw Harry Brown and Robin Hood, both were awesome!!

The A-team i found to be poorly written, edited, and acted but laughed a few times!

Mean Creek, since it was brought up earlier in the week, great film, excellent performances from all the young actors, especially the fat kid, who is both a completely unlikeable asshole and someone you feel sorry for at the same time.

krudler wrote: »
    Mean Creek, since it was brought up earlier in the week, great film, excellent performances from all the young actors, especially the fat kid, who is both a completely unlikeable asshole and someone you feel sorry for at the same time.

Watched it last night too.

As you said, Josh Peck (George the bully) puts in a helluva performance in this - especially when the only thing the kid was really known for was a Nickelodean show aimed at kids called 'Drake & Josh'. Incredibly mature performance!

Superb performances all round but I did find the acting by Scott Mechlowicz (Marty) a bit OTT in parts.

Some of the camerawork in the film is great though.. especially some of the shots of the dank and dreary looking creek.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

Randomly switched on The Island just to pass time while doing work, it's about half way through now and I must say I find it quite good. I like the story and the cast is pretty alright so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

Watched the Blair Witch Project earlier for the first time since I saw it in the cinema. Not as scary as I remembered it to be but still spooky all the same. I loved the ending
    Heather's blood curdling screams and Mike standing in the corner

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭immature ejaculation

yeah saw the life of david gale too the other night!!! its a great film. kevin spacey is brillrent in it

basquille wrote: »
    Watched it last night too.

As you said, Josh Peck (George the bully) puts in a helluva performance in this - especially when the only thing the kid was really known for was a Nickelodean show aimed at kids called 'Drake & Josh'. Incredibly mature performance!

Superb performances all round but I did find the acting by Scott Mechlowicz (Marty) a bit OTT in parts.

Some of the camerawork in the film is great though.. especially some of the shots of the dank and dreary looking creek.

The girl who played Millie was great in it too.

edit: bloody hell she grew up didnt she?

carlyschroeder.jpg

Edit: birthday, 1990, phew lol

She sure did..

.. she had a superb performance. Quite under-stated although powerful, especially the scenes with
    her quiet breakdown while watching the boys dig the grave

• Advertisement

Rory Culkin was great in it too, always liked him, especially in Signs. him and Kieran got the acting chops in the Culkin family apparently, although Macaulay was good in Saved.

Saved, now theres something I havent watched in ages...do I even own that?

edit: balls I dont ,grrr hate that when you've got it in your head you want to watch something and cant..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement