Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Centurion and Iron Man 2

Both were ok Iron Man wins though because of Scarlett Johansen and the awesome fight at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Harrocks

Last weekend Iron man2 for me was similar to transformers 2 failed to live up to the original.
    Get him to the Greek is an enjoyable comedy romp.
    A nightmare on Elm street (2010) alot darker than the original i did like it doe.
    Frozen pretty good survival horror/thriller
    The collector If you like the saw movies check this out

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Centurion, decent but gets marked down because the Roman soldiers sounded like they were going to a football match in England rather than into war.

The Social Network, a good film but what is close to the truth and what is the fiction will always leave me 'annoyed'.

Red, good film

The Other Guys, some funny bits but alot of crap (story) inbetween whilst you wait.

Wall Street 2, I liked the first one alot but this one is "off", I think if they focussed on the market crash and gekko then they would have done alot better. The half arsed love story had no place in this film imo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭The guy

Sunshine - Great film, I particularly loved the bit
    were Capa(nice name for a physicist btw) hears from the computer that there was a fifth member on board the Icarus, despite how cheesy that scene was, I enjoyed it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭johnn

Finally saw Get Him to the Greek

Was better than what I thought it was going to be, I thought it would be absolutely awful when they removed Segel & had Hill as a completely different character. I was a big fan of Forgetting Sarah Marshall but bar a couple of nods this was pretty much a stand-alone movie rather than a sequel. Was good for a few laughs a P.Diddy was a hoot. The one bit I found a bit odd and uncomfortable was how Hill allows Aldus Snow have a Threesome with his GF :confused: other than that decent 2-hour popcorn movie.....and I liked the music!

"Will you come for my Bangers........my beans & mash!"

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Inception - Finally got around to watching it. It's pretty good, but highly overrated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

rescue dawn, really enjoyed it. Bales performance is immense

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Inception - Finally got around to watching it.

I bet you did! Late last night or this morning! :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

jaykhunter wrote: »
    I bet you did! Late last night or this morning! :pac:
    How'd ya guess!? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Inception - Finally got around to watching it. It's pretty good, but highly overrated.

Thanks for the heads up!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

Halloween 2 the reboot.

Oh dear what an awful awful mess. Stab,stab rinse repeat.
    For a 'scary' movie i found it odd that i wasn't scared or even slightly uneasy at all.
    What was rob zombie thinking. Put's me off watching anymore of his movies.
    Am currently redeeming the evening by watching Alien,can't believe i've never seen it before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Wetbench4

Just finished watching inception, the story is genius.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭A V A

scream2 . . .great ahaha

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Watched Trick 'r Treat tonight; really dont know what to make of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

Elephant on blu-ray. Film about the colombine shooting. It was ok, bit boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

Let Me In - rubbish

The Wolfman - enjoyable, probably more so because its halloween!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Scott Pilgrim vs The World
    Nerdy, cheesy but entertaining, Michael Cera not as annoying as usual, probably due to supporting cast. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭sonic85

watched the legend of drunken master today. flipping brilliant - one of the best martial arts movies ive ever seen. savage

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

Terence Fishers 1958 Dracula was shown in the Lighthouse today and it was bloody brilliant. It was the restored BFI print and it looked really good. There really is no cooler man in cinema than Peter Cushing in his crushed purple velvet suit. I hadn’t seen it in years so I’d forgotten that there were quite a few laughs in it ( “You need fluids; tea, coffee <long pause> or especially wine”). And the screeching owl made a few people jump. It’s a cliché I know, but they don’t make them like they used to.

And it got a round of applause at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

watched The American with george clooney, bit of sleepy action film, kinda reminded me of in bruges but without the fun,

7/10

also Scott Pilgrim Vs The World, great film puts to shame many computer/comic game films, some more good music from a micheal cera film, the action cuts and scene splicing were brilliantly done, as were to sound effects with comic writing and waves, deffinately the coolest film of the year,

8/10

• Advertisement

watched 'poltergeist' and thought it was good , i never watched it in full before :P

2 of the halloweens also ,

and the proposal was good :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,004 ✭✭✭✭titan18

It was Halloween, so yesterday I watched

Feast
    [Rec]2
    30 Days of Night
    Dead Snow
    Nightmare on Elm Street(new one)
    The House of the Devil
    La Horde

Bar Nightmare on Elm Street, they were all great.La Horde or Feast being my favourite I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Watched Predators and Brooklyn's Finest over the weekend.

Predators was better than I expected it to be, despite being pretty much a remake/reimagining of the first film in many ways even though it is not meant to be.

Brooklyn's Finest was flawed but enjoyable. It felt like it was a spin off in the same movie universe as Antoine Fuqua's other dodgy cop film Training Day.

Hawkes and Gere were very good, and Snipes was underused for me, but Don Cheadle was excellent, and many of the supporting cast, especially those with only tiny parts, really added to the film as a whole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

charlie wilsons war , one of my favourite films of the past few years , a gem for political junkies like myself , great fun keeping up with the name dropping of american political figures who went on to become famous

features a wonderfully drol performance from philp seymour hoffman and a surprisingly good one from julia robberts plus thiers the always delightfull amy adams

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Watched Psycho with the GF last night, she hadn't seen it before and loved it. I hadn't seen it in years and still think it's a cracker of a film. The only bit I still find a tad silly
    is the way the private detective falls down the stairs. An odd technique in cinematography Hitchcock used that just looks too daft.

She got even more freaked out when I told her about the serial killer Psycho, Texas Chainsaw, The Silence Of The Lambs, etc, horror films are based on; Ed Gein, truly a bizzare and disturbing piece of work who's had a strangely major impact on popular culture.

After that I watched The Odd Couple, a classic and witty comedy with Walter Matthau and Jack Lemmon. Was just in the mood for a solid, old-school comedy and it delivered in spades. Nuff' said, really :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,301 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

'Alien'

Ridley Scott's 1979 sci-fi horror epic still delivers the goods despite being over 30 years old. The special effects, especially the space ship, stand up very well today and the hardware used in the film doesn't look dated at all, which can be a problem with sci-fi films in general. The great thing about 'Alien', like the original 'Star Wars' is that the equipment looks like it could (an has) function. It looks "real world".

The xenomorph (that's the name of the alien) stands up well too. H.R. Giger's design is still a good looking creature.

However, some effects and sequences are not so great.
    The (in)famous chestburster scene, while still fantastic, ends with the alien running across the table and out of shot once it's free of John Hurt's chest. But, it looks as dodgy today as it did 3 decades ago. Also, watch out for the fight between Ash (Ian Holm) and Parker (Yaphet Kotto). Kotto is clearly "fighting" with a dummy. Take a look at the hands. It's quite funny.

There's some odd editing going on too here and there, but overall, it still remains a great film and it had one of the best trailers for a film ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Forced to sit through Arachnophobia (which is a phobia I'm ashamed to admit I suffer very badly from:() by my sadistic c*nts of friends... Several screams, hyperventilating and plenty of covering eyes with hands were in order... Hands Shaking like a paint mixer driving home and I'm still checking under my bed, in the wardrobes, around the toilet, etc. for giant killer spiders... Ugh......

• Registered Users Posts: 19,301 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

'The Thing'

John carpenter's vastly superior 1982 remake of the 1951 sci-fi "classic" is another film from decades past which still lives up to it's status today. Often overlooked in favor of the 1951 version (remarkably in my opinion), Carpenter's film made little money on it's first release. Perhaps audiences were expecting a re-tread if the original. But, instead they got hit over the head with some of the most disgusting and brilliant special effects ever seen. In an age of "special effects" movies, such as 'The Evil Dead', 'An American Werewolf in London' and 'Scanners', 'The Thing' took everything to whole other level and all packaged in a really downbeat vibe.

The story of an antarctic research team encountering an alien lifeform with the ability to immitate perfectly any organism it absorbs, is a simple one and much closer to the orignal short story "Who Goes There", than the 1951 film. In fact, I wouldn't class Carpenter's effort as a remake of that movie at all.

The cast is top notch and the setting is superb, the blankness of the snow covered landscape being the perfect canvas for such a bleak film. There are no jokes in this (although there are humourous parts) and everything is played straight, which is a lesson some horror film makers could use today.

It never gets old.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Predators - Decent / watchable film.

Sin city - Good. Really enjoyable.

Brooklyn's Finest - Slow, not overly impressed, but watchable also.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Advertisement

i never understood the point of sin city :rolleyes::rolleyes: dont know why

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement