Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Salt - average action flick, nothing really original, had some pretty cack plotpoints and scenes, especially the ending.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

'Southern Comfort'

Walter Hill's 1981 pic about a group of foolish National Guard soldiers on routine orientation in the swamps of Louisiana. They get on the bad side of some Cajun trappers, when one of their group stupidly fires blank rounds at the trappers, setting events in motion whereby the soldiers become hunted in a landscape they are ill-suited to.

Although advertised on the back of the success of ‘Deliverance’, Hill's film is a different kettle of fish altogether and in some ways is superior to Boorman's effort. Well worth watching if you have never seen it before.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, god I love this movie, Shane Black is a genius.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭DonOcelot

The Secret in their eyes.

An Argentinian thriller, with a hint of Romanticism.
    This film was a lot better that i expected, simply a fantastic film.
    It has everything, tension, thrills, sadness, comedy and an emotional punch.

Also one of the best chase scenes ive ever seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭budgemook

I watched the new Robin Hood the other night. What a ball of absolute sh!te. I wasn't expecting much but I never expected it to be so bad. Russell Crowe was crap and had a crap accent. I won't even start on Cate Blanchett or anyone else for that matter. Just pure drivel. The King was basically the same character as Joaquin Phoenix in Gladiator except done really badly.
    When Maid Marion turned up at the end in the helmet and with the kids in tow
    I was just laughing at how bad it was. Can't believe this came from the same director as Gladiator.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Wanted - Decent action flick. Some great scenes and gunplay was brilliant. I especially love the underdog theme that's running throughout the film, the whole 'zero-to-hero' thing. A shot of Ms. Jolie's rear end is always welcome too.

I Am Legend - Again, decent film. Nothing special. The idea of wandering through Manhatten with a rifle and dog is class. Could have done with more 'killing' though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Watched The Dark Crystal again for the 1st time in bloody years, only thought of it since Ruu mentioned it earlier on this thread.

The movie is fairly dark for a "kids" movie, not something you see too often these days. The plot and dialogue is a bit naff in places but the sets / costumes / entire feel of the film is top-notch.

Henson really let his imagination go wild on this one and it amazing to see that kind of practical work. They really aimed to create everything that didn't have any kind of resemblence to this planet, really felt like you were somewhere else. A far better achievement than what others tried................*cough*Avatar*cough*

Full of 80's fantasy charm but, by God, I loved it :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

I had forgotten how brilliant this film was.Gene Hackman at his best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

EXHIBIT A

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0972555/

its from 2007 but its only getting attention now i think.its basicly a handycam descent into madness but its madness that could happen to anyone.its a great little movie.shocking in its own way.

THE LAST EXORCISIM

i was so looking forward to this and it was sh**e.dont bother.

EASY A

its ok.its a teen flick.but good god emma stone is in it.watch it alone for that shes gorgeous.and she can act which kept the movie interesting for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭ucd.1985

Easy A

Really enjoyable teen flick.

Very funny and had some very clever bits.

Would recommend if you were in the mood for somehting light.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

Scien wrote: »
    The American .

Painful 2hrs in the cinema. Whoever signed off on this being 'a thriller' was obviously high.

thankyou thankyou.someone who agrees with me.i thought it was tripe.

george i like you as an actor but for christs sake get the the finger out.your films lately have been ****e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Dog Day Afternoon

Al Pacino and John Cazale are at their best here (Pacino ever brilliant as the nervy, twitchy and hyperactive Sonny; Cazale at a smouldering, reserved best as the slightly child-like and simple Sal). This is one of the best films not only of the 1970's, but ever.

The plot is simple; two amateurs try to rob a bank, but take far too long and wind up getting trapped inside the bank by the police. As dozens of police officers, batteries of telelvision cameras, the FBI and half of the city of New York start to turn up outside to watch the ongoing action... Sonny and Sal try to get their own way and try their best to get out of the bank in one piece.

The performances from all involved are top drawer, but as has been mentioned, the two leads are what truly elevate this movie from your standard heist movie to pure cinema gold. At times funny, at times tense and at other times heart-wrenching, Dog Day Afternoon is still one of the most entertaining films that is out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Clint Eastwood + Unforgiven + HD = :D

Ace movie and when watching it in HD it felt like I was watching it for the 1st time. Love Eastwood movies, that guy was carved out of granite. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Scien wrote: »
    The American .

Painful 2hrs in the cinema. Whoever signed off on this being 'a thriller' was obviously high.

I watch it too,
    decent start and ending but the entire middle was booooooring

Not a thriller

• Registered Users Posts: 12,998 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Just back from seeing Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives at the IFI. Winner of the Palme d'Or at Cannes this year. It's not for everyone, as evidenced by the people who walked out during the screening - probably because it has a very slow pace - but they missed out by doing so. The story reminded me a little of something Miyazaki might create for his animation, actually.

The IMDB summary says "On his deathbed, Uncle Boonmee recalls his many past lives". It's not as simple as that by a long shot: one of those "past lives" is his own youth, as a soldier in the Thai Army, fighting the Communist invasion from Laos. Now several of the workers on his farm are from Laos, as is the male nurse who returns to the farm with him, his sister and her son. There are "flashbacks" to what appear to be past lives, but it's not made explicit that these are his past lives, or who he was in those memories.

It gets weird not long after the start - or does it, really? It seems to get a bit mundane at the end, but it's worth paying attention: something happens that calls much of the story in to question. I might start a thread on this film if it looks like anyone else has seen it. Highly recommended for people with patience and decent attention spans. :cool:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Salt - It's ****. ****, ****, ****. Not even in a funny way **** like Knight and Day, just plain old **** ****.

Dont bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭[Rasta]

22 bullets(l'immortal-french title)
    I enjoyed it but only because I love the actor Jean Reno.
    Otherwise it would be quite quite bad :pac:

Se7en on blu-ray, one of my favourite movies, now in shiny HD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Robocop BluRay.

Good 80's film but brutal transfer to bluray... really bad, the DVD is probably better quality

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

Salt - It's ****. ****, ****, ****. Not even in a funny way **** like Knight and Day, just plain old **** ****.

Dont bother.

Amen to this. My wife and I were laughing out loud in the cinema when we went to see it. Just so utterly ludicrous and illogical in so many plot points.

Went to see Chico and Rita last week. Kinda sweet, if a little bit contrived at times - but hey, it's a cartoon, and you can get away with that stuff. Also really liked the old-school animation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Shutter Island

I immensely enjoyed the book and had neglected to see the film until last night. It was a strange mix, I have to say, but overall I did enjoy the film. The island and its facilities were not as bleak as I had imagined in my mind, but this was a minor complaint. The acting from all involved was top-drawer, and the dream/flashback sequences were also handled very well. I didn't think that the multi-faceted novel would translate well to the silver screen, but it did!

The Hangover

Had forgotten what a good, silly, easy-on-the-grey-matter laugh this was! Four mates go on the tear in Las Vegas for a stag night. Come morning, they remember nothing, one of the party is missing, one of the party is missing a tooth, their suite is trashed, there's a baby in the closet and a tiger in the bathroom (yes, a tiger; you read that right). As they try to retrace their steps across Vegas to try and find their missing friend and to try and remember what happened, it goes from one marvellous comedic set-piece to another. Well worth a look for those looking for some laughs.

The Thing (1982)

John Carpenter serves up a remake/reboot of the 1950's B-Movie classic. Kurt Russell leads the cast as an American research team in the Antarctic are confronted by a terrifying and deadly being that is intent on stalking them, assimilating them (taking their bodies into its own mass and impersonating them perfectly) and ultimately killing them. Confusion mounts amongst the already weary researchers as to who is human and who is not and who to trust and who to not... The suspense is gripping and terrific, and the gore and special effects have not dated that much in 28 years and also serve to make the being (the eponymous 'Thing') much more 'real' than if it were just computer effects. Ennio Moricone's subdued and eerie musical score also adds another level of depth. Slated on release, it is now rightly a cult classic; it seamlessly blends elements of sci-fi, horror, action, thriller and whodunnit into one excellent package. A must-see...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

Zombieland on bluray, great film, recommended:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

The American - Slow but worth it. Cinematography is good but it's not a shallow film. I liked the fact that it does not feel rushed.
    Clooney is good however one scene did remind me of 'Burn after reading' when shooting the organiser in the head. The actress in the hooker role was excellent as was the female assassin & elderly priest. I liked the small cast and characters that are credible stick with you. It is not a movie where every single little thing is explained or neatly wrapped up at every stage. I enjoyed it.

The Insider, probably my favourite Michael Mann film, have seen it a dozen times and its still gripping, amazing cinematography, brilliant script and performances, doesnt treat the audience like morons, thank christ theres still directors like him working in the movie industry

How To Train Your Dragon, if it wasnt for Toy Story 3 this would be the best animated movie of the year, and by far the best thing Dreamworks have ever done. I wasnt too pushed about it when it came out in cinemas, now I'm sorry I missed it, the flying scenes mustve looked spectacular in 3D

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭QDog10

Given the current climate... rented 2012 yesterday. What a shocking waste of 200 million dollars for the studio and 5 quid for me. Was so bad it felt like it lasted 2012 minutes..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

DazMarz wrote: »

The Thing (1982)

John Carpenter serves up a remake/reboot of the 1950's B-Movie classic. Kurt Russell leads the cast as an American research team in the Antarctic are confronted by a terrifying and deadly being that is intent on stalking them, assimilating them (taking their bodies into its own mass and impersonating them perfectly) and ultimately killing them. Confusion mounts amongst the already weary researchers as to who is human and who is not and who to trust and who to not... The suspense is gripping and terrific, and the gore and special effects have not dated that much in 28 years and also serve to make the being (the eponymous 'Thing') much more 'real' than if it were just computer effects. Ennio Moricone's subdued and eerie musical score also adds another level of depth. Slated on release, it is now rightly a cult classic; it seamlessly blends elements of sci-fi, horror, action, thriller and whodunnit into one excellent package. A must-see...

+1. An absolutely amazing film, I love it.

Great summary above!

I see they are making a prequel, (i'm assuming it will be about the Norwegian lads) apparently the director has said that he wont use much CGI to make it as close to the 1982 version as possible - I'm not holding my breath but we'll see how it turns out.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Salt

Catherine Zeta Jones is a CIA agent who is apparently outed as a Russian spy and does a legger before being interrogated. So it's a light thriller (insert snarky comment here!) and an action movie.

You can see the studio execs around a table eating chinese putting this film equation together : aging actress that is still hot who does some kung-fu-bond-action star deal with a bit of Russian cold war vibe put in. Is Michael Bay on board? No? Why not? Ok, here's 100 million anyway.

I didn't hate this movie, but it has no redeeming features. It's extremely average. Nothing great, nothing horrific. It's just there. Wouldn't recommend it!

This review came out bitchier than I would've liked. It's not bad. By the way, no nudity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

jaykhunter wrote: »
    Salt

Catherine Zeta Jones is a CIA agent who is apparently outed as a Russian spy and does a legger before being interrogated...
    No, she isn't.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement