Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,453 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Battle Royale 3D - it's the awesome Battle Royale! In redundant 3D to mark the 10th Anniversary of BR! 3D is fairly standard - it's like you're watching through a window given the new depth - and a few gimmicky three dimensional blood splashes and dirt flying at the screen. The film holds up fantastically well, although it would have to because there wasn't the luxury of English subtitles so didn't understand a word :pac: But thankfully I'd seen it and loved it before, so could take in the direction and action and really appreciate with an entertaining and clever film it is! Hopefully it will get an Irish release.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭padma

mikhail wrote: »
    No, she isn't.

Lol :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Machete- gloriously bonkers movie with plenty of ott violence and you get to see Jessica Alba in the shower.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭HarryPotter41

jaykhunter wrote: »
    Salt

Catherine Zeta Jones is a CIA agent who is apparently outed as a Russian spy and does a legger before being interrogated. So it's a light thriller (insert snarky comment here!) and an action movie.

You can see the studio execs around a table eating chinese putting this film equation together : aging actress that is still hot who does some kung-fu-bond-action star deal with a bit of Russian cold war vibe put in. Is Michael Bay on board? No? Why not? Ok, here's 100 million anyway.

I didn't hate this movie, but it has no redeeming features. It's extremely average. Nothing great, nothing horrific. It's just there. Wouldn't recommend it!

This review came out bitchier than I would've liked. It's not bad. By the way, no nudity.

Quite a good movie to pass some time watching alright, I enjoyed it.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

jaykhunter wrote: »
    Salt

Catherine Zeta Jones is a CIA agent who is apparently outed as a Russian spy and does a legger before being interrogated. So it's a light thriller (insert snarky comment here!) and an action movie.

You can see the studio execs around a table eating chinese putting this film equation together : aging actress that is still hot who does some kung-fu-bond-action star deal with a bit of Russian cold war vibe put in. Is Michael Bay on board? No? Why not? Ok, here's 100 million anyway.

I didn't hate this movie, but it has no redeeming features. It's extremely average. Nothing great, nothing horrific. It's just there. Wouldn't recommend it!

This review came out bitchier than I would've liked. It's not bad. By the way, no nudity.
    mikhail wrote: »
    No, she isn't.

Was just going to say I thought this was Angelina Jolie myself.

It might be more appealing to me if it was CZJ.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭High energy

Watched federico fellini's "8 1/2" there last night. One of the most surreal and groundbreaking films in cinematic history. I think I need to watch it 2 or 3 times more to fully appreciate it though!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Was just going to say I thought this was Angelina Jolie myself.

Ah! Stuck up movie starlets all look the same to me :P sigh....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭rednik

Inception on blu ray. Saw it in the cinema and I watched it again last night, great film.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Rocket Science - Charming little coming of age movie but avoids a lot of the clichés that that genre comes up with. Makes for awkward viewing at times if, like me, you get embarrased watching people in embarrased situations. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 43,906 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Rocket Science - Charming little coming of age movie but avoids a lot of the clichés that that genre comes up with. Makes for awkward viewing at times if, like me, you get embarrased watching people in embarrased situations. :)
    Saw this a few years back..

.. as someone who suffers with a stammer, it was a very honest and accurate representation of the "condition".

Really enjoyed it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

'The Robe'

Classic semi-biblical epic starring Richard Burton and Jean Simmons. Burton plays the Roman Tribune who was responsible for crucifying Jesus Christ and as a result, is wracked with torment after doing the deed and coming into contact with the last garment that Christ wore...the robe of the title. He subsequently travels through Jerusalem trying to track down the robe, which he believes has cursed him, only to understand that he has been tormented by his own guilt.

This is somewhat clunky, by todays standards and is overlong too. However, it's vision of Rome under Tiberius' rule is somewhat refreshing. Of course, the usual cliche's are par the course once Caligula becomes Emperor. The standard "saintly Jew" is presented too in all their glory as well. There are a few real surprises in character here.

There are lavish sets and very good use of matte paintings to give the viewer the impression of Roman life and the costumes are great looking too, but of course they are usual 50's versions of Roman costume. But overall, the production design is the real star of the show.

The performances are generally good, even if they are a little overdone at times, but Victor Mature is totally miscast as Burton's Greek slave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭gothicus

34y7gjs.jpg

Not the first time I have watched this lately :pac:

and i am not even big into martial arts flicks but the choreography in this film is simply amazing to watch.

Flipped

Enjoyable coming-of-age tale set in the 60's about a boy and girl who develop mixed feelings for each other. The movie tells the movie of an event / time period from one perspective (of the boy) and then "flips" it to the perspective of the other (the girl).

Some patchy acting here and there.. but a solid cast (Aidan Quinn, Anthony Edwards, Rebecca DeMornay, John Manhoney and Penelope Anne Miller) and some strong direction from Rob Reiner mixed some classic 60's music make it definitely worth a watch. It's a perfect Sunday afternoon movie!

PS - Aidan Quinn has really aged! :eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

zerks wrote: »
    Machete- gloriously bonkers movie with plenty of ott violence and you get to see Jessica Alba in the shower.:)

:rolleyes: no you don't...it was CGI'd...clothes/bikini removed in POST:

http://popwatch.ew.com/2010/10/20/jessica-albas-cgi-machete-nude-scene/

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1315854/Jessica-Alba-naked-scene-fake-film-Machete.html

He did say "you get to see Jessica Alba in the shower"... which you do! :confused:

No-one mentioned her jubblies..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Symantics, he meant what i think everyone thought he meant, meaning the nude scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭stevveyg

watched 10 Rillington Place the other nite, i was in serial killer mode! thought it was a good movie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Clandestine

Watched Sweeney Todd last night. Was pretty good, but some of the songs weren't very good and the singing wasn't very good from some of the cast, but enjoyable overall.

In the process of watching American beauty at the minute. So far so good.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

The Town, really really good movie.

Slowed way down after the initial scenes then picked back up to a good pace half way through. I was going to turn it off as it became incridibly boring imo but am glad I didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Watched Moon again since the GF hadn't seen it. Still holds up from the first viewing as an interesting film and impressive debut from it's director.

The GF was left a bit rattled about the whole idea of clones having thoughts / feelings (She's a spiritual type :pac:) but I think she enjoyed it.

Plus I didn't realise that Matt Berry and the asian guy from the Countdown episode of The IT Crowd were the business men talking on the live feed :P

And that Sam Rockwell's daughter was that main chick from Skins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

just rewached A Beautiful Mind, still an amazing film, the best film of the last ten years for me personally,

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Awful_Bliss

The other half was bugging me to watch Thirteen for ages. So I gave in & regretted it. Garbage.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Paul16

Watched In Bruges for the first time last night.Thought it was good but not great.6/10.Really enjoyed Green Zone 8/10

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

Watched City of God last night. Fantastic stuff. The kid who played young Lil'Z (Lil Dice) was particularly good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

a history of violence the other night = great movie , vigo mortenson is a very underated actor

slumdog millionaire = uplifting ( in a cliched way ) but incredibly overated and gimicky

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Yes I know its a kids film but its a f u c k i n g terrible movie. Schmaltzy to near death levels, a horribly annoying child actor, cliches abound, a seasonal music score to accompany every inch of film. Did I mention annoying child actors? Especially those elves. I saw it as a kid and I thought it was tripe even back then. Watched it the other night thinking I might not be so hard on it now that Im older, but jaysus it was a painful experience. It dont matter if a film is a kids film, a poorly made film is a poorly made film, and this is exactly that. I dont have kids myself but for the people that do, what do your kids think of the santa clause? They cant possibly like something this truly awful..........

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭marko93

Just watched Skyline.. Horrible. -_-

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

just watched You Can Count On Me, strange kinda film, starts off with two kids parents dieing at the start, then jumps to when the kids are around 30 odd,

i think the main focus is on the sisters side (laura linney, got an oscar nom for this) a single mother living her day to day standard life working in a bank and raising a son by herself, and her brother (mark ruffalo) who never wanted to stay in the town, arrives for a few days and ends up staying a bit longer, but needless to say the sisters simple boring life is kinda thrown off by her brothers arrival, and her brother also trying to relate to her son,

the film kinda seemed to drag, i dunno what it was about the music or what, painted an odd image that kinda stayed throughout the film, but it was ok

7/10

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Just watching Rambo first blood and have to say it's a cracker been ages since I seen it Stallone was some actor back in the day when he cared

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Inception - Amazing ... was showing it to a friend on Bluray --- just arrived - what a film !!! AMAZING 10/10 ....

then ah .... eh .... Iron Man ... Complete CRAP !!!!!

RUBBISH ... SH*T SH*T SH*T SH*T SH*T SH*T SH*T SH*T 2/10 ...

maybe cos it was just before we saw a genius film, but really , what a great big pile of steaming fresh rhino poo ...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement