Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Infernal Affairs (Mou Gaan Dou/无间道)

The original Hong Kong crime thriller (remade as The Departed in the US) is one of the most original and brilliant crime films out there. For anyone who has not yet seen this film, but may have seen The Departed, you'd be advised to check this out ASAP. While I do love the Scorsese remake, I prefer the original and best version.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

The Remains of the Day

I've seen this a few times and I'm always amazed by how restrained it is. Probably a career-best performance from Hopkins who conveys so much about his character without speaking it. The film captures the period really well.

in my top ten list of all time

a flawlessly acted move by all concerned and a career best by hopkins , how tom hanks won best actor in 1993 is beyond me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 CornWallises38

The Social Network - Went to see it in the cinema for the third time last night, can't get enough of it. Love everything about it, the score, acting, screenplay, direction etc.

The Town - Saw it in the cinema a few months back, wasn't impressed on first viewing. Watched it for a second time a few days back, even less impressed. Never liked Affleck though, anything with him in it seems to always be a little dodgy for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭pocketvenus

Watched Enchanted last night which I have to admit I love. Really is a feel good film for all the family and not too sickingly sweet like some of these films tend to be.

Also watched Fantistic Mr Fox - which I loved. The use of stop animation really is a nice change and Clooney is perfect to voice Mr Fox. I have a feeling the majority of kids would hate the old style animation but story is great and characters also.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,470 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Watched Salt last night. Terrible film.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,276 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I also watched Enchanted the other day, purely by accident, and I gotta say it really surprised me how good it was. Decent cast (James Marsden is hilarious as the prince), funny and pretty smart. I guess it's got 92% on rottentomatoes for a good reason, well recommended,

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

Just after watching The Holiday, the one with Kate Winslet and Cameron Diaz. Have to say, I thought it was a terrible, terrible film.

It's A Wonderful Life, on the other hand, is great. I'd seen bits of it before but today was the first time I'd seen it right through.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

Loved Enchanted too
    my dad ended up watching happy feet by accident and loved it.

watched the Wild and Over the Hedge with my mam. both were hilarious. really made me LOL

Im 23, and I still love watching cartoons (or animated films as the are otherwise know)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

First men in the moon. Not bad but no classic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Which version?

Enchanted is a lovely film :o

Anyway *cough* moving right along, Young Frankenstein (1975). Teri Garr Mmmmmmm :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nozebleed

the boat that rocked. nice flick...fun. great tunes throughout. 6.5/10

• Registered Users Posts: 3,179 ✭✭✭Ridley

Four Lions - Covered it here if anyone cares. ;)

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince - First of the movie series which I think stands as a decent film in its own regard instead of just riding on the popularity of the books. Radcliffe and co are better actors and the lack of bright colours reflects the mood of the film however the comedic bits don't work as well because of it in my view.

Professor Layton and the Eternal Diva - It's set after the fourth game which isn't out in English yet according to the subtitles. Weird film. It's the equivalent of watching someone else play the games. ;) Layton and his ever annoying assistant Luke are pulled into a game which is claiming immortality as the prize. It's okay but I found the last twenty-five minutes or so to be tedious.

The DVD case claims there's a half an hour special feature with it. Unless it's a brilliant easter egg then I can't find it.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭HardyBuckFan

just finished watching the first lord of the rings, thought it was brutal, also saw cyrus last week, not one bit funny IMO
    The big lebowski, if you haven't seen it get it, greatest comedy film of all time

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

just finished watching the first lord of the rings, thought it was brutal, also saw cyrus last week, not one bit funny IMO
    The big lebowski, if you haven't seen it get it, greatest comedy film of all time

I LOVE the Lord of the Rings. you need to watch all 3 films to get the whole story.

mike65 wrote: »
    Which version?
    The one from the 1960s with Lionel Jeffries.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Watched Tron Legacy last night and thought it was just.........meh..................very meh.

Visually it looked great, everything was sleek and the neons were kinda hypnotic. The soundtrack was awesome, Daft Punk really excelled themselves as it would be hard to imagine how this film would work under a different composer.

But everything else from the story to the CGI Jeff Bridges was.......meh. Bridges was enjoyable as always, even if he was playing a twang of The Dude (I ain't complaining :pac:) Olivia Wilde was good, too. She put work into what could've been easily a throwaway character.

Not bad, certainly not great but it did the job of entertaining me at least.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16 dcw4life

Is Tron worth going to see? Haven't been able to get to it yet

White zombie.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

SarahBM wrote: »
    I LOVE the Lord of the Rings. you need to watch all 3 films to get the whole story.

I think LOTR has a bit of a Marmite effect. I loved RPGing and all that fantasy stuff as a kid and couldn't wait for these. I saw all 3 in the cinema and only managed to stay awake for the 1st. I found them all incredibly boring and a chore to watch but hey, thats just me.

If HardyBuckfan didn't like the 1st, he aint gonna dig the other 2 imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nozebleed

Four Lions...Hilarious 8/10. definitely worth a watch

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭battries not included

Mad Max

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

Lars von Trier's "The Boss of It All (Direktoeren for Det Hele)"

Hard movie to get with Danish subtitles, but worith it if you can dig it out. He uses a new camera technique, Automavision, and the movie is very funny on a number of levels. The kind of movie that deserves a 2nd watch too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 dubplate

I actually can't remember the name of it, although it was on rte 1 or 2 the other night.

Plot based around a woman who cooked the most amazing food ever can anyone help with the name of this terrible film? Seemed pretty recent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

i watched the social network today for the first and last time i had high hopes for this film but my god was it boring. the start was good but after the hour mark it went dull i turned it off after an hour and a half. i feel sorry about mark zuckerberg because they portray him as a wanker and i cant stand justin timberlake

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Harrocks

The Expendables Blu-ray Does exactly what it says on the tin ie no brainer action movie.
    Scott pilgrim vs the world blu-ray Turned if off after 20mins been along time since i done that i think the last movie that happened on was The Spirit.When the 1st lad he was fighting burst into song that was it for me.
    Inception blu-ray looks fabulous sounds fabulous but by god its a head wrecker of a plot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭gothicus

best film I watched over Christmas was this...

again!

Enjoy :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Jack No Coke

Watched Taken again last night,great film

Liam Neeson puts in an awesome performance

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Havent watched too many movies lately but did get around to watching From Paris with Love tonight. Have to say I quite liked it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

Black Swan
    For me the best new movie I've seen this year. I'm no ballet expert but I had to ask myself at its conclusion whether I'd just watched something truly great - usually a good sign. To sneer at a lead performance like that as being (to paraphrase) "only Natalie Portman" is snobbish movie cynicism in the extreme. It was a career defining performance both mentally, emotionally and, not least, physically and I'm not the least bit surprised to hear Oscar talk. I mean, it's superior to the average-at-best Hurt Locker in every way so why not?

Tron Legacy
    I enjoyed watching this one so much from a stylistic and aural point of view that I can forgive all other quibbles. Daft Punk delivered in spades too. Well worth the ticket price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 ac08400

very uncool I suppose, watched 'the breakfast club' tonight, and I still love it after all these years

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement