Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Hancock - I actually enjoyed this. Does anyone know if there is a sequel planned?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Hancock - I actually enjoyed this. Does anyone know if there is a sequel planned?

Hancock was a movie of two halves imo, the first half was excellent....but fell to bits in the second, it had some interesting aspects i agree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

hancock was awfull IMO , it didnt know what it was , 1st half was poor , second half was dire

watched thier will be blood last night

extrordinary performance by daniel day but paul dano was himself incredible , both charecthers were equally fanatical although up untill i checked the move out on wikepedia ( today ) , i thought dano,s charecther was a skitzo , think it would have sat better with his crazy role rather than him being a twin

a film to admire for its performances rather than its story

• Registered Users Posts: 7,349 ✭✭✭naughto

watched the american last night good film bit slow to get going

• Registered Users Posts: 11,276 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Hancock was a movie of two halves imo, the first half was excellent....but fell to bits in the second, it had some interesting aspects i agree.

Totally agree.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Aliens on blu-ray, an absolute classic, to think it cost only 18 million dollars is staggering, Cameron could make a relatively low budget look like it cost 5 times as much, yet give him a quarter billion and he makes a lovely looking but hollow movie in Avatar.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

krudler wrote: »
    Aliens on blu-ray, an absolute classic, to think it cost only 18 million dollars is staggering, Cameron could make a relatively low budget look like it cost 5 times as much, yet give him a quarter billion and he makes a lovely looking but hollow movie in Avatar.

Watched Alien on blu Ray last night and loved it. I've seen it loads of times already but great to see it scrub up so well. Next up is Aliens. Again seen it loads of times. Actually went to see it in the cinema when it was originally released and it's my favourite of the quadrilogy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

adox wrote: »
    Watched Alien on blu Ray last night and loved it. I've seen it loads of times already but great to see it scrub up so well. Next up is Aliens. Again seen it loads of times. Actually went to see it in the cinema when it was originally released and it's my favourite of the quadrilogy.

Be warned, Aliens is quite grainy because of the film it was shot on thats quite apparent on Blu Ray and high res tv's. Messing around with brightness and contrast can do the trick.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭SC Kevin

watch "Little Fockers" today, not the best of the films but still enjoyable :)

Be warned, Aliens is quite grainy because of the film it was shot on thats quite apparent on Blu Ray and high res tv's. Messing around with brightness and contrast can do the trick.

Good! grain ftw. film is meant to look like film. film is grainy, so it should look that way. Alien does look incredible for a film thats over 30 years old though.

I swore I wouldnt buy the Alien movies again but having all the special feature docs on 1 disc was too good to pass up. and the mu-th-ur features are cool.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭coldwood92

The A team even on DvD its good!

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭rovers2001

Dinner for Schmucks was not bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 CornWallises38

The Ghost Writer, excellent movie would recommend it. The movie shows that bombs and gunfights aren't necessary to make a thriller gripping. Really liked Pierce Brosnan in this film, pity he didn't receive more screen time. I'm surprised there hasn't been any awards buzz for his performance.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

watched all 3 star wars movies today after watchingthe last plinkett review of the prequels, was never a huge star wars fan but the way he spoke about them made me decide to watch them all again.

kinda wish I hadn't now. they weren't as bad as I remember, I kinda enjoyed the first two.. but number 3 was pretty dreadfull.

watched all 3 star wars movies today after watchingthe last plinkett review of the prequels, was never a huge star wars fan but the way he spoke about them made me decide to watch them all again.

kinda wish I hadn't now. they weren't as bad as I remember, I kinda enjoyed the first two.. but number 3 was pretty dreadfull.

Revenge of the Sith?but thats easily the best of the prequels, Episode 1 is garbage and Attack of the Clones has a few cool moments but is pretty sh1te otherwise, watch the Clone Wars tv series for a propre Star Wars prequel, it got everything right that the movies got so, so wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

Savage - Few negative aspects to the film, the acting and the camera work, was ok overall though.

Machete - Don't think I'm the target audience for this really, more aimed at people into grindhouse and comedic over us of gore.

The Way Back - Enjoyed this one. It has some very good acting performances in it and Colin Farrell plays his part really well. Good cast, good acting, overall a good enough film, possibly a bit slow moving.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

A Prophet - French Gangster movie set mostly in prison. Nearly ranks up there with the Godfather. Well worth checking out and one of the best films of 2009 and I virtually immediately followed that by Mother (Madeo) another awesome flick one of the best of 2009. Check those two out.

On another level Zonad is an Irish comedy that you will love or hate. I fell into the Love camp. Follows in the Father Ted tradition I think. Dirty and Funny and you can see the references to crap 50s Teen American films and Grease.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

Revenge of the Sith?but thats easily the best of the prequels, Episode 1 is garbage and Attack of the Clones has a few cool moments but is pretty sh1te otherwise, watch the Clone Wars tv series for a propre Star Wars prequel, it got everything right that the movies got so, so wrong.

ah, i should have been clearer i was watching the plinkett reviews of the prequels but i was myself watching the original 3 movies
    it was jedi i was referring to when i said it was pretty weak

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭padma

The Fighter, Boxing movie about Irish Micky Ward. Great story, made me look at his youtube fights and I'm not in to boxing at all.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0964517/

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭johntommy

ricero wrote: »
    i watched the social network today for the first and last time i had high hopes for this film but my god was it boring. the start was good but after the hour mark it went dull i turned it off after an hour and a half. i feel sorry about mark zuckerberg because they portray him as a wanker and i cant stand justin timberlake

The most over-hyped film of the year.

• Advertisement

Watched Salt last night. Terrible film.

Totally agree. Angelina Jolie cant act.

Kess73 wrote: »
    Watched Se7en last night. Had not seen it in years and had picked up the blu ray cheap enough.

If anything it has gotten even better with it's introduction to the newer format.

Details at the crime scenes stand out now, and the sound quality is excellent.

The film itself is brilliant, and the two leads put in top performances. The villain of the piece, whose name I will not mention for folk who have not seen it yet. is just perfect and puts in a chilling performance whenever he is onscreen.

Yes, it looks superb on bluray.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

Never Let Me Go

Good acting, nicely shot and well directed but overall I found it pretty boring. The trailer gives away most of the film and the important reveals all happen in the first 20 minutes. I haven't read the book so I can't compare it to that.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Ciaran_B wrote: »
    Never Let Me Go

Good acting, nicely shot and well directed but overall I found it pretty boring. The trailer gives away most of the film and the important reveals all happen in the first 20 minutes. I haven't read the book so I can't compare it to that.
    Book was a load of **** tbh. Never really got going and then just ended.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,906 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Never Let Me Go had great performances.. and that's it!

Overwrought, overlong and felt like a period piece without the depth or impressive backdrops.

I'd recommend it for the performances, but not much else!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

The Fighter.

This is my comment it on another thread...
    Good movie, I enjoyed it. Have to say though without Bale there would be nothing extraordinary about it. Just another run of the mill boxing movie, we've seen it all before.

edit: I just watched the
    Ward/Neary fight and it's absolutely nothing like how it's portrayed in the movie, Ward is easily holding his own! Neary was barely winning on points!
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭battries not included

Just watched Escape from New York

nice action movie from the 80s :)

I thought the transfer looked fantastic. The grain is there but in no way intrusive and if anything adds to the whole experience. I seem to remember the DVD transfer not being fantastic in the quadrilogy set so I was delighted with the blu Ray transfer.

I've just finished watching it, the theatrical version. I'm going to stick Alien3 on now. I've only ever seen it once, as opposed to multiple viewings of the first two, and I wasn't overly impressed with it.

I know a lot of people who actually really like it so I'm willing to go in open minded. Plus it's a Fincher film isn't it?

adox wrote: »
    I thought the transfer looked fantastic. The grain is there but in no way intrusive and if anything adds to the whole experience. I seem to remember the DVD transfer not being fantastic in the quadrilogy set so I was delighted with the blu Ray transfer.

I've just finished watching it, the theatrical version. I'm going to stick Alien3 on now. I've only ever seen it once, as opposed to multiple viewings of the first two, and I wasn't overly impressed with it.

I know a lot of people who actually really like it so I'm willing to go in open minded. Plus it's a Fincher film isn't it?

I love Alien 3, I think its one of the most criminally underrated movies around, the special edition is brilliant, it opens the plot up, restore missing characters like Boggs who disappears in the theatrical version with no explanation, and the whole tunnel/fire scene is now watchable as opposed to an overedited mess like it was in the original version. Watch the making of it on the 5th disc as well if you can, its nice to see a truly candid look at the perils of making a studio franchise movie, Fincher has infamously distanced himself from the movie, he only appears in archive footage and he isnt on the commentary. Its also funny hearing Michael Beihn complain at the time that he wasnt being used in the movie and wanted to prevent them using his likeness (he got paid more for one still photo of him used in Alien 3 than he did for his entire work on Aliens) but says "of course if I'd know that David Fincher was gonna become David Fincher I woulda let him use me as long as he cast me in a future movie!"

• Advertisement

I love Alien 3, I think its one of the most criminally underrated movies around, the special edition is brilliant, it opens the plot up, restore missing characters like Boggs who disappears in the theatrical version with no explanation, and the whole tunnel/fire scene is now watchable as opposed to an overedited mess like it was in the original version. Watch the making of it on the 5th disc as well if you can, its nice to see a truly candid look at the perils of making a studio franchise movie, Fincher has infamously distanced himself from the movie, he only appears in archive footage and he isnt on the commentary. Its also funny hearing Michael Beihn complain at the time that he wasnt being used in the movie and wanted to prevent them using his likeness (he got paid more for one still photo of him used in Alien 3 than he did for his entire work on Aliens) but says "of course if I'd know that David Fincher was gonna become David Fincher I woulda let him use me as long as he cast me in a future movie!"

Yeah did a quick google on it to see which version to view. Half an hour into the special edition now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement