Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Planet of the Apes, just now. 1968 version of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭johndoe99

The Molly Maguires (1970)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0066090/

Brilliant film, Sean Connery and Richard Harris at there best.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Price of Persia - Sands of Time - Sewerage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

Watched 127 hours last night. Wasn't sure what to expect in movie about a man stuck in a cave. And while it was beautifully shot with a fantastic score, overall it fell kind of flat with me.
    I guess because it was about a guy stuck in a cave.:)

Highlight of the movie: The half dozen people walking out of the cinema during 'The moment'

James Franco did a great job and the more i see him in a non spiderman movie, the more i like him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Seen The Fighter this week was very good Christian Bale was brilliant as usual.

Think I'll see that today,I was waiting on that to come out last year cos I'd read it was going to. Forgot about it and didn't even know it was out til today.
    Saw the new Narnia yesterday,was a very good film.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,038 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

weiland79 wrote: »
    Watched 127 hours last night. Wasn't sure what to expect in movie about a man stuck in a cave. And while it was beautifully shot with a fantastic score, overall it fell kind of flat with me.
    I guess because it was about a guy stuck in a cave.:)

Highlight of the movie: The half dozen people walking out of the cinema during 'The moment'

James Franco did a great job and the more i see him in a non spiderman movie, the more i like him.
    i love that ****!!!....I remember during Team America a woman leading a man out of the cinema after 20 seconds!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,777 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Seen The Fighter this week was very good Christian Bale was brilliant as usual.
    Just watched it myself there. Thouroughly enjoyed it, wished they showed more after
    he won his title fight though, like his homecoming.
    Would definitely recommend it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭A V A

watched walk the line last night and was brilliant as usual and the other day i watched nowhere boy ,and thought it was amazing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Howard the Duck

True Grit . The remake by The Cohen Brothers.

I loved it. All the actors in it are fantastic but Hailee Steinfeld who plays the 14 year old girl stole the show. The dialogue between her and Matt Damon's character when they first meet is very funny.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

True Grit (2011) - Outstanding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,906 ✭✭✭✭Basq

127 Hours..

A superb film with two major winners - a fantastic performance by James Franco (genuinely hope he gets a Oscar for that performance), and a sublime score and soundtrack.

Loved it!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Awful lot of people must have seen special screenings of True Grit :pac:

I'll wait and see it in the cinema, its something i've been looking forward to for ages.

watched Up In The Air, cool little movie, Clooney is dependable as always

basquille wrote: »
    127 Hours..

A superb film with two major winners - a fantastic performance by James Franco (genuinely hope he gets a Oscar for that performance), and a sublime score and soundtrack.

Loved it!

Is "the moment" as bad as people are saying?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

watched The Fighter, and 127 Hours,

both excellent films, would recomend The Fighter over 127 but not by much, id say bale was the deciding factor, he was in a class of his own here,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

krudler wrote: »
    Is "the moment" as bad as people are saying?
    depend on how sqeamish you are, its fairly graphic,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

don ramo wrote: »
    watched The Fighter, and 127 Hours,

both excellent films, would recomend The Fighter over 127 but not by much, id say bale was the deciding factor, he was in a class of his own here,

I watched The Fighter too and enjoyed it a lot. Bale is excellent in it, however I didn't think the story was amazing by any stretch. Wahlberg was ok and acted his part fine, but I never felt the stakes were high for him, or that he had to win a title or else.
    We learned so little about him other than he boxes, his more famous brother is a loser still living off a questionable knockdown in a famous fight. His family are cracked and don't have his best interests in mind. He has an ex-wife and a daughter that he would like to have more money for. So that and not being a deadbeat seem to be his motivation for winning a title.
    I didn't find it very compelling to be honest. Something I thought, by comparison, The Wrestler really got right. And I cared more for Stallone's character in Rocky. However I do concede that the Fighter is based on a true story so you can only work with what you are given.

But one thing that really annoyed me were the fight scenes. I didn't find them in any way believeable. Now I don't know a lot about Micky Ward and maybe Wahlberg had his fighting style down and fought like he should have but he seemed very awkward throwing punches. It just never looked like a real boxing match.

But even with those criticisms I really enjoyed the film. When it comes to award season I think only Bale deserves to be nominated for anything.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

You planning on sticking any spoilers in there? Some people don't like knowing any of the finer details before watching a movie. While there's not a lot to this movie you've practically just explained it all!

For the most part I agree with you though, the boxing scenes were pretty bad. Walhberg said he trained for 5 years for the part which is ridiculous considering how bad he was at it!

Ward was a slugger though, havent seen the movie yet but heres a fight of his for comparison:

Wahlburg, Bale and Adams were all nominated for Golden Globes.
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0964517/awards

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

I watched Winter's Bone last night. Very good movie. Jennifer Lawrence is a star in the making.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Scram

I seen "Open Range" the other day, a movie i ment to see years ago. The western with Kevin Costner and Robert Duvall.

I enjoyed it, great characters and a simple story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

I watched the fighter today and 127 hours. Bale is brilliant in the fighter will surley win the oscAr for best supporting this year. Over all it was a very good film and was very well casted my only negative was the ending was a bit of an anti climax. 127 hours was slightly better ifelt amazing performance by Franco he should win awards for that truly amazing

Watched 127 Hours last night, all in all thought it was a good movie. Got a bit boring though in the middle I felt, but the ending was very good. I much preferred The Fighter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭johndoe99

Watched Redisent Evil: Afterlife on bluray last night, i enjoyed it, was a long wait since last one. But it was easily the least of the series, there was not enough action scenes and too much talking between scenes. The next one needs to be better, or it will spend the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Cianan2

I watched a few films over the last few days.

The Fighter: Really enjoyed it, already knew the story behind it so was looking forward to it immensely - Christian Bale, as said already, should get nominated!

City Island: I always enjoy watching Andy Garcia, although quite a slow moving film it is really enjoyable - the acting from the whole family was brilliant, and I recommend checking it out.

True Grit: Never a big fan of westerns, though I wanted to see this to see what the Coen Bro's could come up with this time. Jeff Bridges was absolutely brilliant, but the story itself wasn't the most compelling for me.

I've a few more films ready to watch today once the footy is all over!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Carl Sagan

Watched Apocalypto last night and didn't think it was all too great. Was a decent a watch and something I've never seen before though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

Watched Catch Me If You Can last night. Thought it was decent enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Faust - German silent film and the best version.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,401 ✭✭✭✭x Purple Pawprints x

Yesterday I watched The Time Traveller's Wife. I loved it. The premise seems a little farfetched but it's a very enjoyable film.

Today I have watched a horror film called Autopsy. It was ok. Very weird.

At the moment I am watching a supernatural thriller called Stay. Will edit later to give my opinion but I think it's one of those films you have to watch a few times to understand it fully.

EDIT: Stay is definitely one I'll have to watch a couple more times to get it. I probably wasn't in the right frame of mind for watching it at the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

The Kings Speech

excellent film. the acting was superb and I loved the way the film was shot. great performance from Firth, has to be an Oscar for him and perhaps for Rush too.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement