Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭winter soldier

the movies i have seen recently are:

A bay of blood.

great italian giallo. the violence in the movie almost takes on a tom and gerry quality to it.

I spit on your grave.

i know its banned here but i still got it. its grubby nasty poorly made and acted but still has some qualities to it. its quite thought provoking too.

Dawn of the dead.

i got the three disc blu ray edition and i watched the Dario Argento cut. best horror ever made its as simple as that.

Inferno

A Dario Argento classic. bugger all in plot and does not made one lick of sense but its brilliant. bonkers but brilliant!

Elvis

the 1979 made for tv biopic starring Kurt Russell and directed by John Carpenter. its a great movie and a brilliant biopic. i suggest that everyone hunt it down and watch it, its a corker!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Watched Megamind,I know it's aimed at kids but a very funny movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Saw the new Narnia movie the other night and thought it was pretty good. Tonight I first watched Meet Bill which was a bit odd but entertaining at the same time and then I watched Red which I somehow completely missed in the cinema; really enjoyed that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Phony Scott

Nolanger wrote: »
    Faust - German silent film and the best version.

Yep, brilliant film, very eerie and hypnotic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Sagat06

Right so I've been on holidays since the 12th dec so heres my list in no particular order :)

Inception
    Home alone 1 & 2
    Scrooged
    Elf
    Labyrinth
    Kick Ass
    The Fifth Element
    Shadow Boxer
    Killshot
    Crazy Heart
    Die Hard 1,2&4 (4 at the moment)

Christmas nostalgia going on in the middle there

Theres more but its too late to remember... I gotta get out of the house more :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,099 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Sagat06 wrote: »
    Right so I've been on holidays since the 12th dec so heres my list in no particular order :)

Inception
    Home alone 1 & 2
    Scrooged
    Elf
    Labyrinth
    Kick Ass
    The Fifth Element
    Shadow Boxer
    Killshot
    Crazy Heart
    Die Hard 1,2&4 (4 at the moment)

Christmas nostalgia going on in the middle there

Theres more but its too late to remember... I gotta get out of the house more :rolleyes:
    Whats it like/about is it worth a watch?
    Wheres 'How The Grinch Stole Chrismas' with Jim Carey

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Megamind, its suprisingly good, thats one good and one fantastic movies that Dreamworks have done in the past 12 months with this and How To Train Your Dragon. His mis-pronunciation of stuff his hilarious in places "I'm feeling so melankaly!" "err...dont you mean melancholy?" and the trailer unbelievably doesnt ruin the entire premise, the 2nd half is actually a suprise for once.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Cianan2 wrote: »

City Island: I always enjoy watching Andy Garcia, although quite a slow moving film it is really enjoyable - the acting from the whole family was brilliant, and I recommend checking it out.

Watched this last night thanks to your posts, one of the better films i've seen in recent months. The last 30-45 mins is golden :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Deadly blessing - early Wes Craven horror, quite good.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

The Town- another excellent thriller directed by Ben Affleck, is he the new Clint Eastwood doing for crime what Clint did for the western

Voyage Of The Dawntreader- Duty called bringing loads of kids to the latest in the Narnia cycle, not bad , the kids liked it rather than loved it .

Inception- Great movie, great cast, dont know what all the fuss was about though, top class adventure movie , no more.

Room In Rome- A Julio Medem film so always different, Beautiful people, beautiful city, beautiful paintings and it never leaves the room, outstanding and another brilliant score from the great Jocelyn Pook.

4 Minutes (vier minuten)- Excellent German rites of passage movie about
    a disturbed teen piano playing prodigy in jail for murder. Done without all the sentimental tripe the permeates US versions of these films.

The American- George Clooney, not getting great reviews but I liked it, a European take on the hitman at the end of his tether, Good stuff for big people.

Blade Runner- Watched it for the umteenth time, how great is this movie ? Am I the only one that prefers the original theatrical version ,Harrison Ford commentary and all ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Watched RED, fun action movie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Aldebaran

Watched 'Never Let Me Go' recently. Wasn't overly impressed, not nearly as good as the book. It felt like they were rushing through the story at times.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Easy A - Funny.

How To Train Your Dragon - Funnier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

fell asleep on the couch late afternoon and when i woke up , gentlemen perfer blondes was on , began watching it and apart from it being quite enjoyable , jane russell was far hotter than marilyn

its true what they say about old hollywood glamour , todays actresses cant hold a candle to the dames from the 50,s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Carl Sagan

Hercules in New York. It's one of those films that are so bad they're good. Except it's not good.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Saw 'The Next Three Days' last night. I enjoyed it overall, it left me with some questions but overall it kept me entertained.

As you may guess from the trailers, the film revolves around a teacher [Crowe], trying to break his wife [Banks] out of jail. The first thing you need to know is the trailer sells this as a action movie but for most of it, he is simply planning the job and trying to finance it.

For those who have seen it
    I liked the approach they were taking, in that, this guy is a teacher trying to break someone out of prison [things go wrong, he makes mistakes] however, the prison break or hospital break is really well-handled.

In the end, I would recommend it. 7/10

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

The King's Speech

I'm sure it's great if you're a boy or girl with a hard on for Colin Firth, but anybody else might find themselves getting a bit fed up with a stammering scene followed by a stammering scene followed by... Well, you can probably guess what that's followed by.
    Entertaining enough, but it really does drag on in places...

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭temply

The Daisy Chain - not too bad at all. Samantha Morton very good. Definately worth a watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

Megamind

Brilliant! Absolutely hilarious!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Harrocks

The other guys blu-ray had some good laughs.7/10
    Pirahna 2d on blu-ray really surprised me was brillant entertainment.8/10

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

tman wrote: »
    The King's Speech

I'm sure it's great if you're a boy or girl with a hard on for Colin Firth, but anybody else might find themselves getting a bit fed up with a stammering scene followed by a stammering scene followed by... Well, you can probably guess what that's followed by.
    Entertaining enough, but it really does drag on in places...

I really enjoyed it, Firth, Rush and Bonham-Carter were all brilliant in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Hot Fuzz - a slightly overextended comic action film with too much action late and not enough early. Brillaint cast, loved Timothy Dalton as the supermarket owner. He should be our screens more often.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Exit Through The Gift Shop - Provocative.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

Jack Goes Boating, with philip seymour hoffman, about a shy guy who gets set-up with an almost equally shy girl (amy ryan), also hoffmans first foray into directing, excellent show deffinately recomend,

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭paulosham

Just watched Clint Easwood's latest, Hereafter. Good cast and good performances all round. I liked the way the storylines came together. Not Clint's best of late but I liked it. It was good but the ending was weak compared to the rest of the film.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen.

I was curious to see if it was as bad as everyone says. It is. So bad it makes the first one look really good.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

'None but the Brave'

Frank Sinatra WWII vehicle from 1965 that breaks the usual American jingoistic cycle. Recommended for it's portrayal of the Japanese soldier, 'None but the Brave' does away with the bog standard silly stereotype of the banzai charging, slant eyed Jap fanatic and gives us a more rounded view of Japan's fighting men of WWII. Unfortunately, the producers forgot to do the same with the US Marine characters, who are the same old 50's/60's "gawd dayam" types that have littered countless sub-par WWII movies.

Sinatra is a whiskey soaked "band-aid man", charged as a Corpsman to a group of Marines. They are en route out of New Guinea, when the aircraft they are flying in is shot down on a small island. This island is already inhabited by a cut-off contingent of Japanese soldiers, who seem to have been there for some time with no means of contact with the outside world. Initially, the two sides are antagonistic toward each other, but soon form an uneasy truce and have to learn to work together.

Outstanding is Tatsuya Mihashi, as the Japanese Lieutenant and Sinatra gives a respectable performance as the weary doctor. although it suffers from budget and has at least one terrible performance (Tommy Sands), it's still a refreshing view, especially when one takes into account the time it was made.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,417 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Vantage Point, a bit rubbish, if serviceable enough rubbish.

Those pesky cardboard terrorists - check
    Overuse of flashbacks - check
    Rogue agent - check
    Old workhorse agent - check
    Supporting and main characters falling off the map for large chunks of time - check
    Nippy Opel Astra - check
    The odd note about the war on terror - check

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

The A-Team.

I was expecting it to be crap, but it's surprisingly good. Entertaining and well-made, but also loud and obnoxious and far too silly in places. But given the source material maybe that's the whole point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,681 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Vantage Point, a bit rubbish, if serviceable enough rubbish.

Those pesky cardboard terrorists - check
    Overuse of flashbacks - check
    Rogue agent - check
    Old workhorse agent - check
    Supporting and main characters falling off the map for large chunks of time - check
    Nippy Opel Astra - check
    The odd note about the war on terror - check

Watched this last night too & was very relieved that I dodged it at the cinema (if my memory serves me right, the trailer was very alluring).

It was like watching 3 particularly crap episodes of 24 back to back. The flashbacks became tiresome after...eh..the first flashback. Loads of plot holes and wtf moments but the most odd thing i found was
    when yer man went on a rampage in the hotel...I know his brother was being held hostage but he must have killed about 30 people

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement