Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Got the Alien Blu ray anthology for Christmas so :

Alien (1979) dir Ridley Scott - Excellent flick and a nice transfer to blu ray too

Aliens (1986) dir James Cameron - Probably my favourite of the lot
    Special edition is excellent and again great transfer

Alien 3 (1992) dir David Fincher - Surprisingly good, a lot better then I remembered it and the special edition is like a different film - loads of new
    scenes it in it. One bad thing is they didn't clean up the well dodgy CGI in it.

Alien Resurrection (1997) dir - some French lad he directed Amelie -
    Pure shíte

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Gerty

Rashomon - Very good indeed. Engaging.

True Grit (Original) - Decent film but not a classic.

Blood Simple - Took a while to get going but fantastic second half.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,681 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Watched 'Edge of Darkness' earlier today - wasn't expecting much but it wasn't too bad i guess.

Plot got a bit muddled in places to say the least and Mel Gibson's half-arsed Boston accent was distracting (unless his character was originally from Australia, spent 25 years living in LA and was then reassigned to the Boston Police Dept. where he picked up a bit of the accent which comes out every 4th or 5th line)

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Somewhere is good, but if you didnt like Lost In Translation you'll probably despise it, long scenes of not much happening, its almost the same film except its an actor hanging around LA instead of Tokyo and spending time with his daughter instead of meeting someone new. Stephen Dorff can act, who knew.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

Vantage Point, a bit rubbish, if serviceable enough rubbish.

Those pesky cardboard terrorists - check
    Overuse of flashbacks - check
    Rogue agent - check
    Old workhorse agent - check
    Supporting and main characters falling off the map for large chunks of time - check
    Nippy Opel Astra - check
    The odd note about the war on terror - check

i too was impressed by that nippy astra :)

one of those movies which started so well but then nosedived towards the end , i dont know whether the writers went on strike half way through and the tea lady had to finish the script but it was certainly a tale of two halves

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭fish fingers

Gerty wrote: »
    Rashomon - Very good indeed. Engaging.

True Grit (Original) - Decent film but not a classic.

Blood Simple - Took a while to get going but fantastic second half.

Great movie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

Watched IronMan 2 yesterday, it was ok. It seemed to lose it's way about an hour into it. I was kind of hoping for it to be a Spiderman 2 (massively better than the original) but it wasn't.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

Giallo time over the last couple of the days. I watched:

Deep Red

An American piano teacher in Italy witnesses a woman being murdered and then investigates the killing.

This is pretty much my favourite Giallo and my favourtite Dario Argento movie. Yes, some of the acting is a bit rough and the dubbing is pretty terrible but for atmosphere and technical achievement this can't be matched. Every shot is beautifully composed, the soundtrack is superb and the climax is brilliantly done. A stone classic.

Next up was:

Short Night Of Glass Dolls

An American journalist is found dead. Or is he? As his body is taken to the morgue it transpires that he's still conscious inside his body. While he's on a slab in the morgue he tries to work out what happened and what has led him to this horrible scenario.

A lesser giallo but still hugely enjoyable film. An interesting story that's well told and that builds towards a shocking but well handled finale. There's also a fine Ennio Morricone soundtrack. Recommended.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

The Expendables - load of ****e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭stiffler123

True Grit- Boring in parts but overall I'm glad I watched it.

The Fighter- Watch this film when it comes out! Fantastic performance by Christian Bale. The movie itself was also fantastic. If you like Rocky, you will love this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Hot Fuzz - t'was gas altogether!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo. Probably shouldn't have watched it so soon after reading the book. Obviously there was a lot left out,
    but I thought the Wennerstrom storyline could have been ever so slightly more fleshed out. Either that or just leave it out entirely rather than a quick mention and that's that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The Inglorious Bastards (1978)

Spaghetti WW2 adventure modeled after Dirty Dozen with typically hokey dubbed dialogue (even for those speaking English! but not those speaking German interestingly), plot holes, dodgy effects but there are worse ways to kill 90 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

Closely Observed Trains - A Czech Movie made during the 60s. Czechoslovakia was quite liberal at the time despite being communist and it shows in this film. It concerns a young train platform attendant trying to lose his virginity except that he suffers from premature ejaculation. Its also set during WW2 to add to his complications.

If anyone has read a novel called "The Good Soldier Svejk" its very similair in tone to that. In many ways the Czechs and Irish have a very similar outlook on life and their dealings with authority and foreign intervention as portrayed in the film and the Svejk novel.

http://www.empireonline.com/features/100-greatest-world-cinema-films/default.asp?film=50

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,251 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Black Swan. It's a film worth seeing, and probably a personal best for Portman. Not your typical ballet film; rather a psychological thriller.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

I just saw Kickass for the first time this week and loved it.
    I didn't expect to like but i was glad to be wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Carl Sagan

127 Hours. Loved Franco in it. It felt surprisingly open despite being filmed in an area of about a metre squared.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Last night I watched Cop Out; not the best film I've ever seen but still it was enjoyable. After that I watched Repo Men which I have to say was pretty meh. One good part was
    that they didnt give him the happy ending but that he was actually caught
    however that wasnt enough to save the movie in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭paulosham

Just watched Catfish, great documentary.

Nev takes a photo, the photo gets printed in the paper. Abby paints a picture of the photo and sends it to Nev. Nev begins an online/text/phone relationship with Abby's sister Megan. That's about all you should know before watching because the less you know the better it is. Here's the trailer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Jungle book - the version from the 1940s.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

saw the coen version of true grit and it was good at best i expected it to be a lot grittier and it wrapped up all to quick and we only got to see the villians for roughly less then 15 minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 7,777 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Just watched Ali (with Will Smith), jaysus it was shíte! If there was less fighting it would have been better, it just looked so tame..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nozebleed

The American...RUBBISH. absolute rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭irelandspurs

Nozebleed wrote: »
    worst film i have watched in along time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭James T Kirk

Control

The story of Ian Curtis and Joy Division, based on the book by his widow.
    Perfectly shot and directed by Anton Corbijn - a rock photographer of the era depicted.

Great performances by all concerned. Sam Riley as the sensitve, confused Curtis;
    Samantha Morton as his desperately loyal wife, and a funny turn by Toby Kebbell,
    as stressed-out band manager Rob Gretton, are highlights.

A tragic tale, and well worth seeing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

FINALLY got around to watching Groundhog day. 18 years it took me to sit down and watch this one. Very good film, great idea, and Bill Murray is fantastic (as he generally is). I heard they were originally gonna put Tom Hanks in the role, the film would of suffered massively as a result. He's too nice.

Glad to finally get that one under my belt..

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭paulosham

Nozebleed wrote: »
    worst film i have watched in along time.

The American was great.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

How To Train Your Girlfriend - awesome flick!!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,906 ✭✭✭✭Basq

How To Train Your Girlfriend - awesome flick!!
    Don't you mean 'How To Train Your Dragon'? :confused:

• Advertisement

basquille wrote: »
    Don't you mean 'How To Train Your Dragon'? :confused:

I think that was Richard's attempt at humour and much like his taste in Television it's rather poor and appeals only to 15-year-old tweens.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement