Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

budgemook wrote: »
    Just watched The Virginity Hit last night and agree with GerryLovesU in that it's really good. Although it's a teenage sex comedy it's also very different to a teenage sex comedy in how it's made. Think The Blair Witch meets Superbad I suppose. I liked it a lot. The Creed fella is a tosser though!

Yeah, i thought it was pretty good also...i made a post in the main forum that went unnoticed.

ValJester wrote: »
    B0002CTSV8.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Lives down to it's reputation.Truly laughable nonsense, although it DID feature possibly the most ludricous getaway in film history.

Huge Prince fan, it's cheesy as hell but still a fun movie....Wrecka Stow :D

basquille wrote: »
    Don't you mean 'How To Train Your Dragon'? :confused:

Nope!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,998 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I watched both parts of Kill Bill again over the last couple of nights - first time in several years. Pretty audacious film-making: while obviously not 100% original, there were some things in there that I've never seen on film before, such as The Bride's fight with Elle Driver (Daryl Hannah). I expect that a character like Go Go Yubari - the schoolgirl with the rentsuru (flail) - has appeared in some manga, but she scares the poop out of me every time. :eek:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭temply

Saw the Kids are alright there at the weekend - meh to be honest & its beyond me why its a best picture nod & even though I'm a huge Mark Ruffalo fan - whats the story with the best supporting actor nom? :confused:

4 out of 10 for me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

I watched Videodrome (David Croenberg) the night before last. I stumped up for the Criterion Collection edition because I wanted to both see what all the fuss was about Criterion and because it's always more than annoying to buy a film in standard definition when there's a HD alternative available. The print and the disc are impeccable, it should be said. The director's commentary was especially informative, revealing alot about Croenberg's film-making ideals and ethics.

The film itself was an interesting beast and it being my first Croenberg film I was in for a few shocks as to his preference for body horror, but the whole film works on a few levels, not least as an ultimate satire of the violence-in-media controversies that have been a monkey on the back of art for a long time. It also works as a very disconcerting procedural as you follow Max Renn (exclusively) around a dark, and in many cases dank, early 1980's Toronto searching for information about the eponymous Videodrome.

It's a mostly beautiful confection of neo-noir, horror and psychological thriller but if you like the sound of it the best advice I can give you going in is to remember it's an Indie film both in financing and in spirit and it doesn't offer easy answers for the viewer. And if you're looking for likable characters then this certainly isn't the film for you -- as Croenberg says on the commentary, ''I don't want to create sympathetic characters, but interesting ones''.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Wall street: money never sleeps.
    It was overly long and written like a parish priest's missive in places. Not completely unwatchable. I mean I'd put it on a par with the first one which was itself less than fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

If you fancy selling it on Syferus let me know :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Beverly Hills Cop - great fun.

Sharkwater - really good documentary about a conservationist and the stark reality of the butchering of Sharks and other marine life in our oceans - highly recommended

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

The Fall by Tarsem.

One of the most beautiful films I've ever seen - this is one of those you could watch with the sound off and still enjoy. It's the second film I've bought on the basis of the opening scene alone (the first being Chimes at Midnight by Orson Welles).

The plot is pretty straightforward - an injured young girl befriends a paralysed stunt man in a hospital in 1920s LA, and he begins to tell her stories. The stories he tells, as imagined by her, are the bulk of the film but tie together with the main plot, as well as being influenced by the storyteller's moods. The film takes some dark turns, and does get a bit heavy-handed in the last act, but it works some real visual magic and the complexity of the plot doesn't really matter.

The director claims that no computer-generated effects were used in the film. I'm not sure whether I believe him, though I think they were minimal.

The opening:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Paper chase - stylish but dated '70s movie about law students. Classy film but ruined by lots of scenes with characters in the shower!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Morning Glory, its not bad, Harrison Ford is brilliant in it,and hes funny, who knew? His first proper acting job in years it feels like. Someone realised the more serious hes trying to be the funnier it sounds. his grumpy old bastard routine works because he seems like hes a grumpy old bastard in real life too, McAdams is as watchable as always and Patrick Wilson is in the boyfriend role but I like him anyway.

3 stars, wont be considered a classic but there are worse ways to spend a couple of hours

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,332 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

Rocky 2,gonna watch rocky 3 later,man I love the first 3.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Black Swan.

Wow, I don't think I've ever seen such an intense movie. It's an absolute masterpiece.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,978 ✭✭✭445279.ie

Black Swan.

Wow, I don't think I've ever seen such an intense movie. It's an absolute masterpiece.

Totally agree. Saw it last week and thought it was magnificent

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Last 3 nights, Cinema Paradiso, Great Expectations (the 1946 version) and Shutter Island. Three I had not seen before, but were on my list. Still a long list of stuff to see, but I'm getting through them.

Zonad - thought it was sh1te? Tops of the town filmmaking!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭johndoe99

watched "MR 73" last night

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0920470/

after watching it, i noticed it was based on a True Story, i've never seen Daniel Auteuil in a bad movie.

Gonna watch "36" tonight: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0390808/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

Milk - Sean Penn and James Franco.

great film.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭Cookie33

The Other Boleyn Girl - very good portrayal by Natalie Portman and Scarlet Johansson. Very interesting to hear about this as I only learned about Anne in History classes and not the full story!

(7/10)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Last night: The Lodger, A Story of the London Fog, an extremely early Hitchcock silent (his fifth film as director) following the killings of a figure closely modelled on Jack the Ripper. During a series of murders, a strange young man takes up lodgings in a London residence, and suspicion falls on him when he shows a marked interest in the daughter of the landlords, who fits the profile of the murdered girls.

It's not as stylised or abstract as his mature stuff (Psycho is one of my favourite films, and Strangers on a Train once was too, but it's years since I saw it), but still very good. Lots of influence from the German expressionists of the time, with imposing sets and moody lighting. The story was butchered by the studio, but it launched Hitchcock's career, and he later described it as the first true Hitchcock film.

Also, it's in the public domain :D

Tonight's film: The Proposition, on which more tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

In the last week -
    Black Swan
    Barney's Version
    Hereafter
    The Disappearance of Alice Creed
    Tangled 3D
    North By Northwest

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

Klute - one of the worst famous movies I've seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,349 ✭✭✭naughto

127 hours its was ok

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭johndoe99

naughto wrote: »
    127 hours its was ok

agree, it was a great story of endurance, but i'd not watch it again or buy it, it was a watch it once movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,349 ✭✭✭naughto

johndoe99 wrote: »
    agree, it was a great story of endurance, but i'd not watch it again or buy it, it was a watch it once movie.

if he did what he did at the end of the movie in the 2nd day it would have being a very short movie:D:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

The Tourist - switched it off with 20 minutes to go, couldn't really be arsed with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Carl Sagan

Black Swan. I've never been so entranced by a film. I couldn't look away - Natalie Portman was fantastic and Darren Aronofsky has cemented himself on top of my favourite directors list.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Up-n-atom!

In the last week or so:

Black Swan - thought it was well acted and visually interesting, but eventhough I enjoyed it I didn't think it lived up to the hype. I came out after the film feeling it was a bit empty, like I missed something. Main problem for me is there's not much more to it than what you see in the trailer. The Wrestler hit the spot a lot more IMO.

Blue Valentine - 2 great performances from the leads, it's charming and heartwrenching in parts as it contrasts the couple's first and last weeks together simultaneously - another anti-romantic comedy romantic film.

Neds - this one seems to be overlooked currently due to all the Oscar-nominated films out at the moment, but it's well worth a watch. In the vein of films like This Is England, the story's largely influenced by the director's own youth growing up in Scotland (he also directed The Magdalene Sisters, so you know this ain't no walk in the park!)

Youth in Revolt - not a bad film but very much a Michael Cera movie, so if you're not a fan, avoid. Funny and quirky in places, but not an especially strong film overall.

I'm watching Shutter Island for the first time tonight - I don't like the look of the trailer so I've avoided it for the last while, but I'm hoping it's going to live up to the good reviews!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭edolan

Shutter island is brilliant you'll enjoy it. Watched The Road last night it was excellant, Viggo Mortensen is a truly terrific actor.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement