Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

Watched Heat last night. but I was wrecked tired, so I dont think I enjoyed it as much as I should have. It was good, but I might watch it again when Im more wide awake.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nozebleed

Stone. Nothing special..5/10.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

The King's Speech - thought it was quite good, maybe not as good as I was hoping for though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 304 ✭✭smares

The King's Speech - thought it was quite good, maybe not as good as I was hoping for though.

Yeah i agree expected more from it,but a good easy to watch film

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Finally got around to watching The Magnificent Seven this morning!! Enjoyed it but dont think it fully merits the reputation it has, would put the sphagetti westerns comfortably in front of it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Up-n-atom!

edolan wrote: »
    Shutter island is brilliant you'll enjoy it. Watched The Road last night it was excellant, Viggo Mortensen is a truly terrific actor.

Yup, I liked it a lot - wouldn't have minded a slightly more ambiguous ending though. And I thought Leo's character was very like his one in Inception...but guess this came first!

Really want to see The Road as well...heard it was desperately depressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭Cookie33

The Town - it was a good action movie but some of the "irish/american" accents were terrible! 6/10

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

harry browne = really liked it , very gritty and raw although it lost its way towards the end , superb performance by caine who i dont usually like that much

invictus = just ok , only deserved to be released as a tv movie imo , a factual drama but not much more

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Mirrors 2. Much better than I was expecting. Very grisly rather than scary in contrast to the original, but apparently it's much closer related to the korean film the remakes are based upon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Watched The Passion of the Christ last night for the first time.

It's strange, I cannot make up my mind about it whether it was good or bad. It has been niggling me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭VW 1

I watched The Butterfly Effect last night and to be honest I really wasnt expecting much but the film really surprised me, I thought Kutcher was very good and the plot was interesting as well. Developed well as it went along.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Barney's Version, overlong but Giamatti is brilliant as always. nice little movie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Perrier's Bounty
    Thoroughly enjoyable :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,312 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Watched The Passion of the Christ last night for the first time.

It's strange, I cannot make up my mind about it whether it was good or bad. It has been niggling me.

Yeh, it's one of those films alright. I was ages making up my mind, but in the end I thought it was a good effort.

Tony EH wrote: »
    Yeh, it's one of those films alright. I was ages making up my mind, but in the end I thought it was a good effort.

I must say I quite enjoyed The Passion of the Christ after the initial shock, and on that basis I purchased Apocalypto which I certainly didnt enjoy! Repulsively gruesome and with no plot or real story to it, not one I would watch again or recommend!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Watched Le Horde. Being a big fan of zombies I thought it was shìte with truly woeful dialogue and characters (I watched the subtitled one).

It starts good and the idea of crooked cops and criminals having to bond in an apartment block together was an interesting premise before being flung out of the window altogether with a daft script and very weak, mundane and unlikeable characters.

For a low-budget film it could've been a blast considering it had the odd good set-piece but I couldn't stop rolling my eyes at the sheer daftness of this film.

I probably would've enjoyed this with the lads and some beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

Watched the Tourist, it was just OK. I had'nt realized it was a remake of Anthony Zimmer which was much,much better

• Registered Users Posts: 19,312 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

VW 1 wrote: »
    I must say I quite enjoyed The Passion of the Christ after the initial shock, and on that basis I purchased Apocalypto which I certainly didnt enjoy! Repulsively gruesome and with no plot or real story to it, not one I would watch again or recommend!

I thought Apocalypto was excellent to be honest. Mostly because I hadn't a clue what it was about when I sat down to watch it and was just thrown into chaos when the film got going. I had no idea what was going to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Andre80Johnson

Crank 1 & 2. The most insane fun I've had watching films that are not meant to be taking seriously. Highly recommend them.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭8mv

Watche Casablaca for the first time in years - excellent! And last week watched The Lives of Others - really, really good. An engrossing film.

• Advertisement

I thought Apocalypto was excellent to be honest. Mostly because I hadn't a clue what it was about when I sat down to watch it and was just thrown into chaos when the film got going. I had no idea what was going to happen.

it also has one of the best ever endings to a movie

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭StonedParadoX

Duggy747 wrote: »
    Watched Le Horde. Being a big fan of zombies I thought it was shìte with truly woeful dialogue and characters (I watched the subtitled one).

It starts good and the idea of crooked cops and criminals having to bond in an apartment block together was an interesting premise before being flung out of the window altogether with a daft script and very weak, mundane and unlikeable characters.

For a low-budget film it could've been a blast considering it had the odd good set-piece but I couldn't stop rolling my eyes at the sheer daftness of this film.

I probably would've enjoyed this with the lads and some beer.

my thoughts exactly ..it started off good though

have you seen Pontypool or the signal yet?

i watched The Fall and The Fighter

The fighter 6/10 ..
    the fall 3/10 ..

the fall for the first hour was brilliant then something happened and its like they didnt know to finish it off so they went the stupidest route imaginable

irishh_bob wrote: »
    it also has one of the best ever endings to a movie

Maybe I need to rewatch it then, it may have been the shock of what was happening as I hadnt a clue what it was about when I put it on either like I said I just bought it off the back of how good The Passion of the Christ was!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

I watched two disparate but equally compelling documentaries the last two nights; Food Inc. and Anvil! The Story of Anvil.

As the son of a small farmer, much of the basics of the 'corporate' cattle/chicken/pig farming situation is not foreign to me, but even then there were totally shocking elements, not least a clip where a cow, so badly tended to and with so little room to roam, was almost completely lame and unable to walk is attempted to be driven to slaughter by a man in a fork-lift, which entirely as horrible as it sounds. One one level the conditions these animals are kept in are disgusting but the film doesn't vocalize the emotion card - it knows full well the images speak for themselves and it concerns itself more with the root causes of this industry as well as the often horrible consequences. It never strayed beyond common sense and into simple hyperbole and for that it's to be commended. It's a fantastic, if riling, documentary.

The other documentary plays out far more like a scripted film for all the right reasons - Anvil! being an epic journey of two men who, if any modicum of common sense dictated their actions, would have given up trying decades ago. Lips especially comes across as one of the real good guys in life and as you unravel their stories and families you, as much as the band themselves, want them to achieve something. It's funny, sad, beautiful and never less than enjoyable - how it never even got a Best Documentary Oscar nomination is beyond me. Even if the music isn't to your tastes - the driving riffs and forced lyrics that typify metal abound - anyone who loves a good story or film should watch it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

I bury the living - a guy makes people die by placing white pins on a wall chart of reserved grave plots!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,681 ✭✭✭Cartman78

RopeDrink wrote: »
    We just watched "Bronson" - Mental movie, found it pretty hilarious for all the wrong reasons. Great performance by Tom Hardy.

Watched this yesterday as well...found it fairly bemusing but intriguing. Need to watch it again before making a definitive decision on it.

Tom Hardy was great in it though..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

Black Swan

wow

saw the hangover for the 1st time this evening ( have sky movies half price for three months ) and tbh , i was a tad let down considering the rave reviews its gotten over the years from critics and moviegoers alike , then again i didnt like i love you man either , maybe im just too old for bro,mances

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

I think movies like that need to be experienced with a cinema audience, Due Date too, you need the flow of laughter through people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭spadesaspade

Watched the new nightmare on Elm Street, please dont do it to yourselves, please, please, please

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement