Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

Family Plot - decent, if dated Hitchcock swansong
    Where Eagles Dare - the best men-on-a-mission movie ever made
    On Her Majesty's Secret Service - standalone Bond classic
    The Fighter - excellent

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭String

Rush hour 1. I just love that movie for some reason

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Die Hard in HD

Transfer looks great and really adds to an already excellent action movie. So many great & memorable characters, even the henchmen. (I didn't know that the actor, Alexander Godunov, who played the main henchman Karl was an accomplished ballet dancer and died in 1995) Love all the little touches and jokes like the 2 FBI agents with the same name: "No relation."

Hans Gruber is still one of the best villians!

"I'm going to count to three..........there won't be a fooor!" :D

Sure as shìt don't make them like this anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Duggy747 wrote: »
    Die Hard in HD

Transfer looks great and really adds to an already excellent action movie. So many great & memorable characters, even the henchmen. (I didn't know that the actor, Alexander Godunov, who played the main henchman Karl was an accomplished ballet dancer and died in 1995) Love all the little touches and jokes like the 2 FBI agents with the same name: "No relation."

Hans Gruber is still one of the best villians!

"I'm going to count to three..........there won't be a fooor!" :D

Sure as shìt don't make them like this anymore.

Hes great in Witness as well. But he'll always be Karl :D

I piss myself laughing at the line when the guy whos sitting at the security desk lets Al in to snoop around and when he decides its a waste of time and apologises for bother him and he goes "No problem at awwwwl!" in a really crappy American accent, its brilliant :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Inglorious Basterds.

Brilliant. Doesn't get old. Cristoph Waltz is evil personified. Cracking actor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,778 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Animal Kingdom - Brilliant. Fantastic acting by the woman who played the matriarch
    Mr. Nice - Disappointing
    Secret things - awful. full of cringe-worthy dialogue and bad acting.
    Legacy - Compelling.
    Conviction - Decent
    Submarino - Excellent character study.
    The Reverse - A decent dark comedy set in wartime Poland
    The Sicilian Girl - Great film.
    The Evening Sun - Terrific film about old age.
    In the Realm of the Senses - I felt queasy after watching this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

The Room.
    Directed, produced, written, and starring Tommy Wiseau.

What a terrible movie, but a cult classic nonetheless.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭doh777

Graveyard of Fireflies.

Was on Channel 4 late last night 1.30 am.

Good film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

The Resident with Hilary Swank. Kinda decent (5/10) thriller from Hammer Films. Reminded me of a film I saw once with the guy from McGuyer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Inglorious Basterds.

Brilliant. Doesn't get old. Cristoph Waltz is evil personified. Cracking actor.

Honestly, he's most chilling because of his (relative) mundanity and level-headedness. He would have been just as much a success were he to have been the same person but on the Allied side - he doesn't have much of an ideology and understands what is expected of him and that's what makes him dangerous.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Syferus wrote: »
    I watched two disparate but equally compelling documentaries the last two nights; Food Inc. and Anvil! The Story of Anvil.

As the son of a small farmer, much of the basics of the 'corporate' cattle/chicken/pig farming situation is not foreign to me, but even then there were totally shocking elements, not least a clip where a cow, so badly tended to and with so little room to roam, was almost completely lame and unable to walk is attempted to be driven to slaughter by a man in a fork-lift, which entirely as horrible as it sounds. One one level the conditions these animals are kept in are disgusting but the film doesn't vocalize the emotion card - it knows full well the images speak for themselves and it concerns itself more with the root causes of this industry as well as the often horrible consequences. It never strayed beyond common sense and into simple hyperbole and for that it's to be commended. It's a fantastic, if riling, documentary.

You should realy read Fast Food Nation, the author was in the film. One of the best books I've ever read.
    The film with Avril Lavigne, Bruce Willis and Greg Kinnear was terrible though. :p
    Get the book, ignore the film

Saw recently

The Contender, Jeff Bridges, Joan Allen. Gary Oldman is so unlikeable in it, good acting. Worth watching

The Rebound. Romcom but I liked it. Catherine Zeta Jones, gorgeous as always

Was happy with the above two films

Scott Pilgrim against the World.
    Watched over an hour and switched it off. Maybe it's not my thing but thought it was pure rubbish

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

I got to see Brighton Rock last night in the IFI, only because Biutiful was sold out. The synopsis kinda picked me up after being disappointed that I wasn't going to be seeing the other film. I ended up sitting through most of the film hoping it was going to end soon. The ending was pretty intense, but that aside the story seemed all over the place and I thought it was all just quite boring. No interesting characters and a dull script.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

Morning Glory - Went to the cinema just to see a film. None of the big hitters had yet arrived so I saw this instead. Now its not a classic but its humerous and will pass away a few hous and has some laugh out loud moments. The roles suit all the actors well with only Diane Keaton underused. A nice surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭Cookie33

Apollo 13 - one of the many classics by tom hanks and also featuring kevin bacon. true story about a mission to the moon gone wrong

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Cookie33 wrote: »
    Apollo 13 - one of the many classics by tom hanks and also featuring kevin bacon. true story about a mission to the moon gone wrong
    Pointless movie trivia, the woman who played Jim's mother is Ron Howard's mother. And the Battleship captain who shake's Tom Hanks' hand at the end of the movie is the real Jim Lovell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Saw today

Gattica, Ethan Hawke, Jude Law, Uma Thurman
    Excellent! Was well impressed, out since 1997, can't believe I'm only seeing it now

Trade
    Film on sex trafficking between Mexico and USA
    Got terrible reviews on metacritic but this isn't the kind of film you enjoy.
    I think I'm going to remember this film for quite a while. It is worth watching

• Registered Users Posts: 6,183 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Watched half of Due Date last night....was wrecked and fell asleep. Really shlt in places and hilarious in others.

The pedal and crank scene had me on the floor.:p

• Registered Users Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Watched half of Due Date last night....was wrecked and fell asleep. Really shlt in places and hilarious in others.

The pedal and crank scene had me on the floor.:p

I found this to be much better than The Hangover which seems to get a lot of praise despite being mediocre at best.

Watched The Other Guys today and the above quote pretty much sums it up. Really funny in some places and terrible in others. The opening scene is great and throughout the whole film the OTT action scenes are well done. Wahlberg does a good job pretty much playing a comic version of Dighnam from The Departed and Ferrell is actually starting to grow on me in the last few years. A pity the laughs kinda dry up in the second act and the movie just goes a bit strange. Also would have much preferred for The Rock and Sam Jackson's characters
    to have stayed alive rather than being killed and replaced by two similar but really more annoying characters.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Picked up Backdraft cheap on blu ray a short while ago, and finally got around to popping it on tonight.

I had not watched the film since it was in the cinema, and I must say that it has aged pretty well. Yes it is full of typical Ron Howard touches, but the fire scenes still look excellent with Robert De Niro, Kurt Russell, Scott Glen, and William Baldwin putting in good performances.

Donald Sutherland was excellent in his small role, and the supporting cast of J. T. Walsh, Rebecca De Mornay, and Jennifer Jason Leigh all helped pad out a decent watch with fairly solid performances.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Nemanja91

Watched Blade Trinity earlier, now watching Due Date.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Sagat06

Just watched Memento. I really enjoyed it... I was struggling to decide between that and Spiderman, I think I made the right choice :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭Jako8

Hellraiser 1 - 4 - To be honest they were all pretty enjoyable. :) The first being the best though. The effects were pretty damn sweet particularly the part
    where Frank comes up through the floorboard.
    The good effects continue through the first four as well as pretty good make up effects. The Cenobites always look pretty weird just like you'd expect from a horror movie. The first is a must see for any fan of horror in my opinion. I though the second was a bit OK but a bit convulted story wise, like they tried to upscale and make the second more of an adventure. I think what really helped the first was it was a really focused movie. There wasn't much straying from the house where most of the action happened and there wasn't too many characters. That meant you get to know each character, except the cenobites. They seem to just arrive on and you never really get to know much about them (apart from a slight description by pinhead). It didn't dampen my enjoyment though. I thought the third was better than the second even though my friend disagrees. They had a clear story and even though it wasn't that riveting the effects and acting were solid. I particularly enjoyed the new cenobites
    like the camerman and the barman
    . The fourth was the weakest. It filled up with abit too much back story and it never really gets going. You just kind of jump from one story to the next. I plan on watching the next 3 soon.

MacGruber- I laughed 4 times. The rest of the time I was slightly amused or bored. I didn't really think it was that great.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,999 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Finally got to see Jackass: Number Two last night, on TV. Well, I was hardly going to go out and see it in the cinema. It's a dirty job, but someone's got to do it. You have to give the guys credit for putting their bodies on the line, sometimes literally:
    Steve-O acts as shark bait on a fishing line, complete with hook through the cheek
    . :eek:

Some segments have quite high production values, especially the opening and the ending, which is a musical piece complete with dancers and choreography. The closing credits give hints of the bits they left out, as in the first film - in that case the DVD had enough to make another movie, and this looks to be the same, so I might pick up the DVD if it's on sale.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Carl Sagan

Watched Inception for the first time last night. Great film. I'll have to watch a few more of Nolan's films now and see if they're as good.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Up-n-atom!

Watched Thirst last night - is a Korean film about a priest who becomes a vampire (why did no one think of this before?! Catholicism and vampirism is a great fit...), the woman he falls in love with and the chaos that follows. It's rather good, as you'd expect from the same director who brought us Old Boy and the other parts of Vengence Trilogy. It didn't quite hit the heights of horror that I've come to expect of Far Eastern films, but it would be a few notches higher than your usual Hollywood fare.

And if Hollywood do get around to doing a re-make, I would LOVE to see Nicholas Cage playing the priest - it could be all kinds of crazy...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

Carl Sagan wrote: »
    Watched Inception for the first time last night. Great film. I'll have to watch a few more of Nolan's films now and see if they're as good.

If you haven't seen The Prestige, do. I kind of wish I'd seen it before Inception though. Think I might re-watch it myself tonight :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Carl Sagan

If you haven't seen The Prestige, do. I kind of wish I'd seen it before Inception though. Think I might re-watch it myself tonight :)

That's what I'm planning on watching next. Don't know anything about it but hear it's better than Inception.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

Carl Sagan wrote: »
    That's what I'm planning on watching next. Don't know anything about it but hear it's better than Inception.

I didn't know anything about it either. I really love Inception (in large part due to the music), but there's something very special about The Prestige. It probably is a better film.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

bnt wrote: »
    Finally got to see Jackass: Number Two last night, on TV. Well, I was hardly going to go out and see it in the cinema. It's a dirty job, but someone's got to do it. You have to give the guys credit for putting their bodies on the line, sometimes literally:
    Steve-O acts as shark bait on a fishing line, complete with hook through the cheek
    . :eek:

Why? the Jackass movies with a huge crowd are some of the most enjoyable cinema visits I've ever had, everyone laughing, wincing and being grossed out together, its one of those rare times where you dont mind people talking during a movie as everyones having a blast watching it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Mission to Mars

I forgot how bad this is. Dreadful script, barely passable acting (despite an excellent cast), very dodge CGI that doesn't match with the reactions of the actors, and a surprisingly uninspired, ill-suited and outdated score from Morricone. Even the make-up is terrible: Sinise looks creepy weird in close-ups.

Despite all this, De Palma's camerawork as always is fantastic. The way he moves it, the way he frames shots. It's just unfortunate that he so bad at everything else. Film students could learn a lot about the technicalities of filmmaking from him, just keep the film on mute.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement