Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,349 ✭✭✭naughto

watched unstopppable i liked it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

krudler wrote: »
    The opening sequence and credits are amazing though.

The opening credits were great, yes. The fight sequence before that was typical Snyder overplay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Fortune_Cookie

Everybody's Fine - Robert De Niro, Drew Barrymore, and Kate Beckinsale. Good film. Very sad and touching.

The Blind Side - Sandra Bullock. She won an oscar for this last year. It was well deserved. In fact everyone's performances in this film were excellent.

Grown Ups - Adam Sandler, Chris Rock. Very funny. One of Adam Sandler's best films in a long time.

The Switch - Jennifer Aniston, Jason Bateman. Not the greatest film but it was better than I expected it to be.

The Girl With the dragon Tattoo - Swedish version. Read the books first and loved them. The film stays pretty faithful to the book.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Andre80Johnson

Back to the Future Trilogy - Great fun, really enjoyed them.
    Garden State - I liked it, I really didn't know what to expect but Zach Braff direction was great to see. Natalie Portman, man I never liked her that much but I do now.
    F for Fake - Documentary from Orson Welles about fraud and fakery. It's amust watch. A nice little twist at the end from Welles, overall a great watch.
    Talhotblond - I'm not that great explaining films but the link will - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talhotblond
    Overall I enjoyed, supposedly similar to Catfish so gotta check that out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Threw on Schindler's List the other night but struggled through it so turned it off. Will give a proper go this week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

Good film well worth a watch. Keanu Reeves shows he can act......for a change.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Get Low, Robert Duvall and Bill Murray, trailer:

Great stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Watchmen.

This was always a bit of a risk for me, as I've read the original book dozens of times, but I'm of the opinion that adaptation should be free enough to make large changes in order to make a good film, regardless of the quality of the source material. I'd heard that the script followed the graphic novel extremely closely, and from interviews I'd read with Snyder (as well as watching 300), I had almost zero expectation of intellectual engagement from the film. I got pretty much what I expected: a visually interesting superhero movie. The script, thankfully, stuck close enough to the original that it was almost impossible to make a genuinely bad film out of it, but that's not for want of director Zack "wouldn't-it-be-cooler-if-we-broke-his-arm-in-half?" Snyder trying. The characters, their struggles and their psychologies are more or less preserved from the book, but the film doesn't allow as much depth of exploration, and likewise almost all of the amazing structural devices from the book are lost and not replaced.

The soundtrack should be singled out for criticism for its remarkable lack of self-awareness as it stumbled into cliché after cliché of sourced music, the worst example of which was Flight of the Valkyrie over the Vietnam scene. The music supervisor could almost be forgiven for this due to the excellent choice of Philip Glass playing over the scene on Mars, which was the best scene in the film - almost, but not quite.

Overall, not a bad film, but certainly not a good one.

Which of the three versions did you watch though? The theatrical cut, the Director's cut, or the Ultimate cut?

I found the Director's cut to be the most enjoyable of the three and it added in a lot of cut scenes that helped make the film for me, like
    Hollis Mason's last stand against the knot tops

Watched Red Sun last night for the first time in about 20 years. I felt an urge to watch it after watching Death Hunt starring Charles Bronson and Lee Marvin earlier in the week.

For those who have not seen it, it is a 1971 western starring Charles Bronson and the always excellent Toshiro Mifune.

Mifune plays the samurai bodyguard of a Japanese ambassador, who are travelling by train to Washington, when the train gets robbed by Bronson and his gang.

The gang double cross Bronson, nick a ceremonial katana, and generally manage to tick off Mifune.

What follows is an excellent East meets West film, the type that has been copied many times since. We get soldiers versus bandits, bandits versus samurai, bandits versus indians, Indians versus samurai, and of course we get Brosnon and Mifune as both enemies and friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭fluke

Black Swan - Tense atmospheric and never lets the viewer come up for air, so yeah I loved it!

The Road - Decent adaptation but reminded me of Watchmen in that it paled in the shadow of the source material.

Deep Blue Sea - First time watching this flick all they way through. B-movie fare but quite funny when you notice all the plotholes, acting etc.

Cursed - Christina Ricci camp horror. Kinda funny but kinda stupid too.

Lone Wolf McQuaide - Chuck Norris actioneer, 80's movie cheese. With David Carradine rocking and kinda humorous to watch with the lads. Passable enough. Oh and there's an ace dwarf

The Other Guys - Haven't fully watched this, mediocre story, little laughs and boring, just crap. 20 mins. left in it and I couldn't be bothered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Noffles

Watched The Fighter... didn't like it, the characters in it were simply too annoying for me.... 2 minutes of the brother and I was pissed off with him...

Faster - The Rock being mean and moody, made for a fairly enjoyable brianless film

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Dark City Criminally underrated movie. Wasnt much of a hit on its initial release, pick it up on blu-ray if you can, the directors cut is much better and it looks stunning, the new transfer makes it look like a brand new movie, not 13 years old.

Kess73 wrote: »
    Which of the three versions did you watch though? The theatrical cut, the Director's cut, or the Ultimate cut?

I found the Director's cut to be the most enjoyable of the three and it added in a lot of cut scenes that helped make the film for me, like
    Hollis Mason's last stand against the knot tops

I saw the theatrical cut. To be honest, the last thing I thought the film needed was another over-the-top Zack Snyder fight scene.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

Watchmen.

This was always a bit of a risk for me, as I've read the original book dozens of times, but I'm of the opinion that adaptation should be free enough to make large changes in order to make a good film, regardless of the quality of the source material. I'd heard that the script followed the graphic novel extremely closely, and from interviews I'd read with Snyder (as well as watching 300), I had almost zero expectation of intellectual engagement from the film. I got pretty much what I expected: a visually interesting superhero movie. The script, thankfully, stuck close enough to the original that it was almost impossible to make a genuinely bad film out of it, but that's not for want of director Zack "wouldn't-it-be-cooler-if-we-broke-his-arm-in-half?" Snyder trying. The characters, their struggles and their psychologies are more or less preserved from the book, but the film doesn't allow as much depth of exploration, and likewise almost all of the amazing structural devices from the book are lost and not replaced.

The soundtrack should be singled out for criticism for its remarkable lack of self-awareness as it stumbled into cliché after cliché of sourced music, the worst example of which was Flight of the Valkyrie over the Vietnam scene. The music supervisor could almost be forgiven for this due to the excellent choice of Philip Glass playing over the scene on Mars, which was the best scene in the film - almost, but not quite.

Overall, not a bad film, but certainly not a good one.

i cant think of a movie which left me as underwhelmed as watchmen

I saw the theatrical cut. To be honest, the last thing I thought the film needed was another over-the-top Zack Snyder fight scene.

For me, the director's cut flowed a lot better, and actually felt shorter than the theatrical version despite being about 25 minutes longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Up-n-atom!

Grave of the Fireflies - I had quite high expectations of this film considering it's seen as a Studio Ghibli classic, and it didn't quite meet them. The story is simple enough, and brave for being one of the few to address issues around life in Japan during the end of WWII. It felt as though the characters could have been developed a bit better, but at the same time it is a moving film with moments of child-like whimsy to detract from the seriousness.

The King's Speech - I wasn't at all interested in seeing this when it first came out, but the consistent praise it was getting from everyone who seen it intrigued me. It's very much an old fashioned film, as expected, but features some really outstanding acting from all the leads. Its got quite a few more laugh-out-loud moments than I was expecting as well; overall it's a lovely twee movie, the kind that don't get made very often anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Thingy

I saw the original idea on that Ted talks site:
    http://www.ted.com/talks/ken_robinson_says_schools_kill_creativity.html

Then I saw the hollywood version "Accepted":
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sy1wa-zD00I

Average movie good for a hangover.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Watching United States of Leland on TV now - know nothing about it, other than I love the cast, including Kevin Spacey and Don Cheadle. IMDB review is glowing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Posted this elsewhere but...

Just finished watching the Millennium Trilogy, composing of The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, The Girl Who Played With Fire and The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest and absolutely loved them all. Fantastic storyline, shot very well, great score from Jacob Groth and some very very good actors. Watched them all in Swedish subtitles as I started watching a dubbed version and it was so so bad and kept distracting me from what was going on.

I just wish I had the time to read all the books before I saw the films. Would highly recommend the trilogy to anyone and everyone. 5* and thumbs-up-emoticon.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Cartel Mike

'Lemming' is on Ch4 tonight guys. I'm sure most of you have seen it anyway.
    Probably my favourite French film.
    Only the French can make these timeless offbeat classics in the way they do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

The King's Speech Had no interest in this film as I'm not a fan of Colin Firth or a story about the Royal Family. Since it's Oscar season I decided to give it a whirl and I enjoyed it, Firth did a good job representing a man suffering from stuttering.

Good character-driven flick which doesn't pull on your heart strings too much to get an emotional response from you. Though
    Rush wanting to call Firth by his actual name when he demanded to be called by his title was such an obvious cliche where you knew it would switch at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

krudler wrote: »
    Dark City Criminally underrated movie. Wasnt much of a hit on its initial release, pick it up on blu-ray if you can, the directors cut is much better and it looks stunning, the new transfer makes it look like a brand new movie, not 13 years old.

Gotta bump this one up on my list. I have it but haven't popped it in yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

+1 For Dark City on bluray it is an amazing transfer and crystal clear.

The Hereafter - decent Clint Eastwood film - not up to his usual standard tho.

The Kings Speech - Amazing!!! Firth better get an oscar for this, Geofrey Rush was great too.

The Town - Pile of crap. Someone said the best heist movie since Heat !!?? - were they smoking crack ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

Just got in from the cinema. Went to see Just Go with It, an enjoyable bit of fluffy rom-com starring Jennifer Aniston and Adam Sandler. I enjoyed it very much for the comedy and the two actors work well together. There is also a memorable cameo by
    Nicole Kidman playing an LA bimbo.

jaykhunter wrote: »

Do it tonight. You'll thank me later.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,671 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

Went to see The Fighter at the weekend, really enjoyed it, very impressed by Bale and especially Wahlberg.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭hsanz114clayton

Russel Crowes latest 'The last three days' or was it next?im not sure but it is FANTASTIC!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

jaykhunter wrote: »

do you have the new version? for the love of god dont watch the original dvd transfer, its horrid.

Also see how many of the shots and sets you can spot that were reused for The Matrix :pac:

edit: actually when you watch it heres some cool comparison shots, now some of these are nitpicky and you could probably find a dozen movies with similar shot composition but still, influence much?

http://galeon.hispavista.com/cinerama/actu2/matrixdarkcity.htm

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Get Low - Moving.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 462 ✭✭Suspiria79

Forrest Gump on blu-ray (Sapphire Series)
    T'was sent to me from America as a gift and works fine on PS3.
    Great movie and gorgeous quality.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement