Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 logitech456

watched Goal 3. Terrible film,not related at all with the first 2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 playheart

how ya dj,
    I watched over te last 3 days,
    The clerks 3 disc s.e. Brillant movie highly recommed it.Plus a killer Documentry on disc 3 called the snowball effect.If you never wanted to make a movie after this you will have the itch.The story is based on 2 guys working in a shop and the days in an outs dealing with customers.It,s priceless.Watch it.Let me know what you thing.
    Also stranger than fiction Will Ferrell good movie about a man that thinks he has a narrator in his head.
    Starwars Empire strikes back also curb your ethusiasiam season one great t.v. comedy from h.b.o. be warned language is blue in it.
    Oh and 20 minutes of donnie brassco region -1.
    Hope these suggest,s help your viewing.
    RGDS PLAYHEART

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭MikeC101

watched Goal 3. Terrible film,not related at all with the first 2

Shockingly so. Anyone know what happened with this? Run out of money perhaps?

The first two were decent enough movies, light drama, kind of interesting.

The third was utterly terrible, and didn't even focus on the previous main character. I don't think I've ever seen the quality of a (planned) trilogy degenerate so spectacularly. Except of course it wasn't all that spectacular, it was dull and tedious.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭purple_hatstand

'Charade'[1963] is fantastic fun. A genuinely witty script and Stanley Donen directing a great cast (Cary Grant, Audrey Hepburn, Walter Matthau, James Coburn) chasing stolen cash around Paris to tunes by Henry Mancini. Effortless class - they just don't make 'em like they used to...

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Rebel021

Wated Bronson last night,a pile of drivel
    Going to watch near dark later as I've heard some good things about it and an excellent cast.
    Michael Bay should be beaten to death for transformers,I knew it was going to be bad when the wife said she loved it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Started watching my name is Bruce the other day, but the GF was clearly unimpressed by the sheer awesomeness of it, so ended up switching it off:(

The Hangover is one of the funniest movies I've seen in years, well recommended!

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Hagakure_irl

Watched Oldboy last night, brilliant film.

Love that film so much.

I'm about my 50-60th play of Lost In Translation, I've lost count at this stage how many times I've seen it and listened to the album.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

tman wrote: »
    Started watching my name is Bruce the other day...

I was sadly let down by this but it did make me rewatch Evil Dead 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,032 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Mesrine: Death Instinct & Mesrine: Public Enemy #1

I can't recommend them enough, very violent and very good. Well worth a watch and I look forward to watching them again.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭swat1902

Oldboy is class alright, you should check out the other films in the trilogy to - Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance and Sympathy for Mrs. Vengeance. Well worth a watch.
    Spielberg is remaking oldboy with Will smith, It really pisses me off.
    It should be left alone, its excellent.

I've watched the opening scene in Lost in translation, ooo about 100 times :) She's great.

Love that film so much.

I'm about my 50-60th play of Lost In Translation, I've lost count at this stage how many times I've seen it and listened to the album.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Mensch Maschine

Last few films I watched this week were:

Quick Change with Bill Murray. Love that film.

Ghostbusters (blast from the past)

The Hangover (needed some laughter)

Cant' wait to see Bruno.

Need a break from the more arthouse films I've been watching the past few years.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Watched 'Angela' by Luc Besson.

Not a bad film, loved the B&W and Jamel Debbouze was really good in the lead role.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭mudokon

Man on Wire, a documentary about Phillipe Petit who walked on a tightrope between the two towers of the World Trade Centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Mensch Maschine

mudokon wrote: »
    Man on Wire, a documentary about Phillipe Petit who walked on a tightrope between the two towers of the World Trade Centre.

Amazing. It's cool the way one of the crew breaks down crying with nostalgia, speaking in his cool french language/accent etc lol

Loved that. More of a buzz aswell given 9/11. To think that they did that given today's laws and protocols and where the trade towers are.

Alot of us know the trade towers as the towers the terrorists got but it's refreshing to see the towers in such a romantic litght annd it's apart of something darring and illegle too. I'm drunk.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,287 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

'Rescue Dawn'

It's a film about a US pilot (Dieter Dengler) who was shot down over Laos in 1965. His mission was top secret, cos the Yanks shouldn't have been near Laos (or Vietnam IMO). However, he gets caught by the Pathet Lao (partisans on the side of the NVA) and placed in a POW camp with a few other POW's. Two Americans and three Asians.

Anyway, it goes on to shoe their experiences in the camp, the susequent breakout and the hard slog through the jungle.

It's by Werner Herzog and has Christian Bale and Jeremy Davies in it, who are very good although I'm a fan of neither. But, both actors seem to have the ability to alter their body shape significantly for the sake of a role and they tacle their parts very well. So does Steve Zahn.

The name sounds silly, but makes sense in the end. It's based on 'Little Dieter needs to fly'. Herzog's 1998 documentary on Dengler.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

afaik the actors did starve themselves or summet to prepare for the role in RD.

Awesome movie.

Watched Outlander last night on recommendation from a boardsie and it was surprisingly good!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

watched THE UNTOUCHABLES the other night , while not the brilliant film i used to think it was ( were talking 16 years ago ) i still enjoyed it , kevin costner is a terrible actor with almost no range but i think he suits the part of the apparently straight laced and humourless eliot ness

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

irish_bob wrote: »
    watched THE UNTOUCHABLES the other night , while not the brilliant film i used to think it was ( were talking 16 years ago ) i still enjoyed it , kevin costner is a terrible actor with almost no range but i think he suits the part of the apparently straight laced and humourless eliot ness

Watch Mr. Brooks. I command it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭WooPeeA

Anyone saw The Public Enemies with Depp?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Ya i saw Public Enemies... it's very good imo. Looks class and the acting is top notch. (No Batman voice).. Go see it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Marley and me - and yes... I cried:o
    Very entertaining movie, but I'd say non dog lovers just wouldn't get it

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Three Monkeys - Turkish film, winner of best director at last year's Cannes. Very slow but beautiful and moody film. Not everyone's cup of tea but I found it very absorbing. Nice antidote to some of the garbage I've had to endure at the cinema recently.

First I've seen of Ceylan's work but definitely not the last.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭TheManWho

Frost/Nixon - Fairly enjoyable, but I felt that anyone unfamiliar with watergate would have been left in the cold. The acting is some of the best I have seen and both Sheen and Langella are fantastic in their roles.

The Fall - A stuntman who ends up in hospital befriends a young girl & tells her a story of 6 heroes. Visually stunning with an engaging storyline.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

Tony EH wrote: »
    'Rescue Dawn'

It's a film about a US pilot (Dieter Dengler) who was shot down over Laos in 1965. His mission was top secret, cos the Yanks shouldn't have been near Laos (or Vietnam IMO). However, he gets caught by the Pathet Lao (partisans on the side of the NVA) and placed in a POW camp with a few other POW's. Two Americans and three Asians.

Anyway, it goes on to shoe their experiences in the camp, the susequent breakout and the hard slog through the jungle.

It's by Werner Herzog and has Christian Bale and Jeremy Davies in it, who are very good although I'm a fan of neither. But, both actors seem to have the ability to alter their body shape significantly for the sake of a role and they tacle their parts very well. So does Steve Zahn.

The name sounds silly, but makes sense in the end. It's based on 'Little Dieter needs to fly'. Herzog's 1998 documentary on Dengler.

Ha, I just came to post about this very film and yours was the first post I saw.
    I really enjoyed it, the performances are fantastic and i thought Steve Zahn was especially good.
    It's the first Werner Herzog film I've seen and I'm eager to see some more of his work now.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,287 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Aye, was very surprised by Zahn in his role.

Other Herzog films you should check out are 'Aguirre, Wrath of God', 'Fitzcarraldo', 'Woyzeck' and 'Nosferatu'.

They all star Klaus Kinski. But they're not for everyone. They can be a bit on the slow side. BTW, none of them are like 'Rescue Dawn'.

You should look at 'My best Fiend' too. Herzog's documentary on Kinski.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

I've seen Watchmen (at last) - emm...visually great at times but a bit flat over all imo.

Adventureland - fail; the ads make it seem much better than it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,759 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

In The Loop
    Bronson
    Flammen & Citronen
    Hounddog
    Johnny Mad Dog
    The Baader Meinhof Complex

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

Tony EH wrote: »
    Aye, was very surprised by Zahn in his role.

Other Herzog films you should check out are 'Aguirre, Wrath of God', 'Fitzcarraldo', 'Woyzeck' and 'Nosferatu'.

They all star Klaus Kinski. But they're not for everyone. They can be a bit on the slow side. BTW, none of them are like 'Rescue Dawn'.

You should look at 'My best Fiend' too. Herzog's documentary on Kinski.

Yeah I've heard they're a little offbeat, though that wouldn't put me off nor would them being slow paced.
    Maybe Fitzcarraldo will be next, I've heard about the dragging the ship through the jungle story.

• Advertisement

Red Belt. Martial arts film written & directed by David Mamet, well worth a look.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement