Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16 caitdebhail

Easy A - saw it recently, has gotten into my top 10 movies i've seen. Very well done, witty, refreshing & Emma Stone is a dream to watch. Her chemistry on screen with her parents is explosive & you can't help but smile at the intelligent John Hughes & "The Scarlett Letter" references. Would recommend it to the 15-24 female age group but anyone who enjoys a light comedy would get a few laughs.

Black Swan - blew my mind altogether, Mila Kunis' jump from Forgetting Sarah Marshall to this is immense & she really knocked it outta the park on this one. Natalie Portman really stood out for me too and i realized just how amazing an actress she is after her performance on this.

On that note i watched No Strings Attached, (i know, i'm a bit of a stereotype when it comes to RomComs) but i was surprised to see a different side to the Rom Com story. Portman again is excellent & she seems to have effortless chemistry with Kutcher which is very enjoyable to watch. Good to watch if you want a chuckle or two and a nice gawk at Kutcher in his comfort zone.

Finally, the last real romantic drama i saw was Love & Other Drugs. Different to your average movie in a number of ways, it supposedly captures the new age "open about sex" relationships. Anne Hathaway is as usual great & Jake Gyllenhaal steps off his high horse to do something different but at the same time typical. Enjoyable and cute, Hathaway portrays the frustration in having Parkinson's honestly & you can't help but empathize with her.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Just watched Grown Ups. Thought it very good, definitely the most enjoyable movie I've seen in the past month. But then again I've only been watching "epic" movies, ie Oscar hopefuls (Black Swan, The Fighter, 127 Hours, etc.). Grown Ups was a very nice change though, thoroughly enjoyed every part of it, especially Arrow Roulette, HAHAHA!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Knocked Up.

Bit meh really. It didn't make me howl with laughter like advertised, but it's funny in places though it's more of a drama to me. Nice story all in all. Worth a watch but nothing special.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

THFC wrote: »
    Just watched Grown Ups. Thought it very good, definitely the most enjoyable movie I've seen in the past month. But then again I've only been watching "epic" movies, ie Oscar hopefuls (Black Swan, The Fighter, 127 Hours, etc.). Grown Ups was a very nice change though, thoroughly enjoyed every part of it, especially Arrow Roulette, HAHAHA!
    I really enjoyed this movie but everyone I've recommended it to hated it! It's a genuinely funny movie and it just looks like they all had a great laugh making it!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,999 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Ali G Indahouse on TV: haven't seen this since about 2003, forgot how funny the dialog was. Ali's sidekick Ricky C is played by Martin Freeman (the new Bilbo Baggins), and Michael Gambon is the Prime Minister. Some priceless scenes: picture the UK Chancellor of the Exchequer (Charles Dance) delivering the Budget to a packed House of Commons:
    As from 12 o'clock all Rizlas will be free. To discourage their use, there will be a 25p-per-pound levy on panties. This will exclude thongs. Marijuana will be available on the NHS to treat chronic diseases such as Itchy Scrot. Furthermore, I am a bell end...
    :pac:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,179 ✭✭✭Ridley

Avatar - Haven't seen Dances With Wolves to know if the movie's just Dances With Smurfs and the hype wouldn't have helped but I just found it okay. Like Pandora and the sci-fi aspects but I was too conscious of camera work designed for 3D (I watched in 2D) and being able to point at characters and go
    "he'll see the error of his ways", "he'll get jealous, bet he dies too", "they'll fall in love"
    and so on.

Kick-Ass - Liked the soundtrack alot. Enjoyed the movie but I'll have to get around to reading the book to know how faithful it was although I know the costumes are different.

Stargate: The Ark of Truth - Fine for tying up the television series but probably useless as a jumping in point for anyone. Really like the
    Replicator in the spine, Terminator-esque skeleton thing
    but think it would have been better served the story placed just a few minutes earlier.

Seven Samurai - Short, insignificant film that no-one has ever heard of. Pay it no heed. tongue.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Karate Kid III, forgot how bad this one was! The Terry Silver character was brutal. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,917 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Race with the Devil staring Peter Fonda about a satanic cult, must watch for horror fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

How To Train Your Dragon - Been on a 3D animated buzz lately watching Pixar & Dreamworks movies again and forgot I missed this one.

I actually enjoyed this film far more than I expected to. Inventive, funny and looks incredible in HD (All of these animated films look great in this format)

GF really enjoyed to the point that I think she said she'd watch it again this morning. Since she's a cat person she fell instantly in love with Toothless :pac:

Only small problem I had with it was the expected sentimental mush towards the end from the father and the girl he gets that made us both nearly vomit :P

Other than that a damn fine film that shouldn't be missed just because it's not from Pixar.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Duggy747 wrote: »
    How To Train Your Dragon - Been on a 3D animated buzz lately watching Pixar & Dreamworks movies again and forgot I missed this one.

I actually enjoyed this film far more than I expected to. Inventive, funny and looks incredible in HD (All of these animated films look great in this format)

GF really enjoyed to the point that I think she said she'd watch it again this morning. Since she's a cat person she fell instantly in love with Toothless :pac:

Only small problem I had with it was the expected sentimental mush towards the end from the father and the girl he gets that made us both nearly vomit :P

Other than that a damn fine film that shouldn't be missed just because it's not from Pixar.

I'm always singing its praises on here, its a great movie and a good sign if Dreamworks want to move away from the pop culture reference ridden dreck like Shark Tale and Shrek. The score is magnificent as well.

I watched The Insider last night, its probably my favourite Michael Mann movie, everything about it is brilliant, the writing, the score, the acting, Crowe and Pacino are on top form and the supporting cast is great. especially Christopher Plummer as Mike Wallace. Its long, and it doesnt pander to its audience but if you're looking for a solid, adult themed movie with a great story then watch it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

The Insider is a fantastic film. Should have won best picture IMO. I love how it starts out about big tobacco but becomes about big media. It's a very talky film, loads of phone conversations and long dialogue scenes, but Mann still uses camera angles, framing and cinematography to brilliant effect. In fact, it's probably one of the most visually impressive films I've ever seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

The Insider is a fantastic film. Should have won best picture IMO. I love how it starts out about big tobacco but becomes about big media. It's a very talky film, loads of phone conversations and long dialogue scenes, but Mann still uses camera angles, framing and cinematography to brilliant effect. In fact, it's probably one of the most visually impressive films I've ever seen.

Agreed, even something as simple as when the motorcade arriving at the courthouse, no sounds or dialogue just the score and handheld camera angles. I love how Mann frames his shots, they're almost documentary style, you're catching the side of someones head or watching things move in and out of the frame, his films have a very "busy" look to them even when nothing is really going on in the scene aside from dialogue.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

Went to the cinema to see True Grit.
    When the movie started there was no sound.
    they had to re-start it.

anyway, I thought it was a good movie, but I wasnt really blown away, and although I think Hailee Steinfeld should get an Oscar, nothing else about the film made it academy award winning. except maybe the script, but with jeff bridges' accent, it was hard to understand at times.

SarahBM wrote: »
    Went to the cinema to see True Grit.
    When the movie started there was no sound.
    they had to re-start it.

Did you get your money back?? If anything happens to the movie at all I'm fairly sure you're intitled to your money back. I've gotten it back on the only two occasions something has happened, one time the movie just stopped halfway through and the other time they played the wrong movie at the start and didn't realise for like 10 minutes. Hassle free as well, the manager just told the cashier to refund all with the tickets.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Watched Dogtooth last night, delightful little romp it has to be said. Supposedly Billy Crystal turned down the role of the father which is a shame. Joking of course, it's a pretty disturbing and unsettling movie with the odd darkly humorous moment. Very interesting film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Watched Dogtooth last night, delightful little romp it has to be said. Supposedly Billy Crystal turned down the role of the father which is a shame. Joking of course, it's a pretty disturbing and unsettling movie with the odd darkly humorous moment. Very interesting film.
    "Get me the duct tape."

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,454 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I think it's destined to be a cult movie in years to come, there really isn't anything like it. Always glad to see more and more people discovering it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

THFC wrote: »
    Did you get your money back?? If anything happens to the movie at all I'm fairly sure you're intitled to your money back. I've gotten it back on the only two occasions something has happened, one time the movie just stopped halfway through and the other time they played the wrong movie at the start and didn't realise for like 10 minutes. Hassle free as well, the manager just told the cashier to refund all with the tickets.

But they re-started it and SarahBM watched it all...?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,349 ✭✭✭naughto

finished watching the 1season of the walking dead yesterday its a very good programme with plenty of saveragery, guts and blood.

cant decide on the kings speech or true grit for tonight thats assuming i get this f1cking project done for college in time

Well, I watched both my movies in full as well, and got my refund, it was basically a free movie on both occasions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

The Town. Great movie:)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

The Next Three Days, with Russell Crowe, an excellent movie, though not as good as the french original 'Pour Elle'.

I just love these old fashioned thrillers , The Town, Gone Baby Gone are a few other recent class ones. They don't make enough of them anymore.

The managers said we could go out and get our money back if we wanted but I would rather stay and watch the movie, which played without futher incident. so I wasnt going to go out and demand my money back when I got to see the film.

Went to see The Fighter this evening (cineworld are making a mint outa me at the mo)
    Excellent film. Really enjoyed it. Wahlberg and Bale were fantastic.

and I also watched the English Patient last night. meh. It was very drawn out, I didnt like Fiennes' character at all, and I really felt the real love story between Hana and the indian was left to the side. that could have been a film in itself. and I didnt get the point of willian defoe's character at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

SarahBM wrote: »
    The managers said we could go out and get our money back if we wanted but I would rather stay and watch the movie, which played without futher incident. so I wasnt going to go out and demand my money back when I got to see the film.

Went to see The Fighter this evening (cineworld are making a mint outa me at the mo)
    Excellent film. Really enjoyed it. Wahlberg and Bale were fantastic.

and I also watched the English Patient last night. meh. It was very drawn out, I didnt like Fiennes' character at all, and I really felt the real love story between Hana and the indian was left to the side. that could have been a film in itself. and I didnt get the point of willian defoe's character at all.

Agree with you re The English Patient, but a truly outstanding music score by Gabriel Yared. That scene where he hoists Hana up on the pulley to see the church ,the music is just awesome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 712 ✭✭✭arsenallegend

OVERNIGHT, a great documentry on the director of the Boondock Saints Troy Duffy, who sold his first script for a million dollars to Miramax and got his band THE BROOD nearly signed to Maverick only to blow it with his massive ego. Its a film that should be shown to inspiring filmmakers on how not to do it.

marienbad wrote: »
    Agree with you re The English Patient, but a truly outstanding music score by Gabriel Yared. That scene where he hoists Hana up on the pulley to see the church ,the music is just awesome.

the score was beautiful, I may have to purchase. The score in true grit was quiet good too.
    Braveheart has to be one of my favourite scores though.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Up-n-atom!

I was even more disappointed when I read the book and realised it's brilliant - it's exactly like you said, the relationship between Hana and Kip (is that his name?) is much more central in it. Michael Ondaatje's one of my favourite authors too, is a pity he was actually involved in the film, even if it doesn't seem like it to watch it.

This is my favourite film from last year - the bit where we find out why the film is called what it's called is pretty gross as well. Since it's supposed to be a bit of an allegory on Greece's economic woes, I wonder can we expect some Irish films in this vein over the next couple of years?!

Anyhew, I finally got to see The Fighter earlier in the week. I enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I was going to (watching Raging Bull was good preperation!) and it was quite funny too, which I wasn't expecting. Got to get my ass moving to see True Grit now.

Watched Law Abiding Cotizen last night. Wasn't overly impressed considering the many recommendations from friends. I just thought some parts were totally unrealistic, but all in all I did enjoy and would recommend it, just not as passionately as some people do.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

Inside Job 9/10
    Documentary on the financial crisis, far better than Michael Moore's one.

Jackass 3 3/10
    Meh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭Pittybitty

The 4th Kind - scared the bejebus out of myself
    Romper Stomper
    Rise of the Foot Soldier
    The Wanderers

All good :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement