Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Last night True Grit. Not sure I can say anything that hasn't been said, but I enjoyed it a whole lot. The night-time cinematography bothered me a bit, though — I'm sick of night scenes being shot in light blue. What's wrong with black?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Last night True Grit. Not sure I can say anything that hasn't been said, but I enjoyed it a whole lot. The night-time cinematography bothered me a bit, though — I'm sick of night scenes being shot in light blue. What's wrong with black?

Nighttime is very difficult to capture on film without resulting in a very grainy and degraded image. Filmmakers have always struggled with it, especially in films (like a western) were they can't justify the use of artificial light. However, I haven't seen True Grit yet so I can't really comment on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Nemanja91

Watched Chopper last night, thought it was only alright although I thought Bana did a great job. Will hopefully be watching 127 Hours Tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

These are the damned - biker movie about radioactive children!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,183 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Nolanger wrote: »
    These are the damned - biker movie about radioactive children!!!!!

That sounds deadly!! Any use??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭Cookie33

Watched the tourist yesterday.

2 of my favourite actors - J Depp & A Jolie. Didn't think the film was up to their usual standards but it was a good film nevertheless.. Kinda guessed what was gonna happen half way through it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 ScoreX

Watched the american recently, not the greatest movie ever, but not the worst either.

Nighttime is very difficult to capture on film without resulting in a very grainy and degraded image. Filmmakers have always struggled with it, especially in films (like a western) were they can't justify the use of artificial light. However, I haven't seen True Grit yet so I can't really comment on it.

I know, and it's a pet peeve of mine. It's almost inconsequentially small in the context of the whole film, and I'm sorry I drew attention to it (especially in a film I enjoyed, and a film that was generally extremely well-shot), but I've seen it done better. Hell, I've seen it done better by the Coens.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭SVG

I completely agree with this! The teal/orange was so pronounced in the night-time shots and the interiors. I thought the daytime scenes- especially the snowy ones- looked great though.

true_grit_2010_1280x548_84376-470x201.jpg

That sounds deadly!! Any use??
    Quite good - one of the lesser-known Hammer films.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

True Grit - great film, always like Cohen brothers film.

Black Swan - Rubbish - Vince Cassel -Nothing actor - always playing the
    same type of scumbag.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Had a Mighty Duck marathon today. Watched all 3 movies; sure they're a bit cheesy but still a bit of fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 712 ✭✭✭arsenallegend

Zonad- rubbish but the blonde chick who played the schoolgirl was hot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭johndoe99

Auto Focus (2002)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0298744/plotsummary

Watched this last night, very enjoyable. About the life of Bob Crane star of 'Hogan's Heroes'. Stars Greg Kinnear and Willem Dafoe. Got to be Willem Dafoe's best performance ever, had me glued to the seat.

Carry on abroad - got the DVD last week with a newspaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Nemanja91

Watched 127 Hours last night and though it was absolutely brilliant, Franco did a great job, going to buy Aron Ralstons book now. I also watched the Battle Royale, I really liked this too and enjoyed the gore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Just saw 127 hours too, great film, really well made.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 813 ✭✭✭wiger toods

just finished watching RON BURGUNDY ANCHORMAN.
    CAAAAAAANOOOOONBAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLL!:pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 400 ✭✭Im Only 71Kg

true grit...oh no. thats all i can say..very disappointing...home alone for cowboy's. 4/10..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

true grit...oh no. thats all i can say..very disappointing...home alone for cowboy's. 4/10..
    sounds perfect for me :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,312 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Have to say, I think 'True Grit' is very undeserving of it's accolades. There's really not that much to recommend, except for Hialee Steinfeld's performance. Bridges is decent (even if his words are inaudible for many lines), but nothing special and Matt Damon is ok too, but any actor could have played his role. Other than that, I really cannot see what all the fuss is about. The actually story (even if it is closer to the Charles Portis book) is nothing to write home about, in fact very little happens in the film and the result is just really rather routine. If it was directed by somebody other than the Coen Bros. I sincerely doubt it would be as lauded by so many.

Scott Pilgrim vs. The World. I found this a bit slow in getting started, but once it got moving, and I got into its slightly weird vibe, I really enjoyed it. A nice homage to geek and gamer culture.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Scott Pilgrim vs. The World. I found this a bit slow in getting started, but once it got moving, and I got into its slightly weird vibe, I really enjoyed it. A nice homage to geek and gamer culture.
    I liked this movie too.
    Very quirky and quite funny imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

+1 for Scott Pilgrim... Any film with music from Zelda in it is a winner in my book. Loved the sex bob-ombs' music as well... Reminded me of the konks!

Last night was how to train your dragon - surprisingly enjoyable, and well deserving of the Oscar nom for the score

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Nantastic

Zombieland on Friday. Absolutely loved it. Then the Blues Brothers last night. Say no more.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Watched City of God last night for a bit of light hearted viewing.:p

I had high hopes for this and enjoyed it but was a little underwhelmed. Before everyone hassles me I better explain that I had just finished the book on Friday and as is nearly always the rule, the book will always be better than the film.

I liked how they managed to make a good coherent storyline by combining bits and pieces of other storylines from the book into the main characters for the film, because when I read through the book I wondered how the hell they were going to do it. It also did a great job of showing how bleak life is in one of these slums and how alluring the life of a gangster appears against in contrast. The scene where Lil Ze
    forces the young gangster to chose one of the runts to kill is particularly harrowing.

However I found myself spending a lot of time trying to figure out which characters in the movie were which from the book (again more my fault than the movies)...and I would have liked to have seen a bit more time spent on Knockout
    showing how he went from a man of ideals, fighting for honour and having principles to becoming just another gangster.

Maybe I should give it a bit of time and watch it again and I might get more out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭johndoe99

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Watched City of God last night for a bit of light hearted viewing.:p

thats a great film, you should also watch the continuing story of it:
    City of Men (2007)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Just watched Changeling there. Excellent film. Easily the best film I've seen Angelina in.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Up-n-atom!

Watched a bit of a variety this weekend.

First up was Teen Wolf. Really good movie for a lazy weekend afternoon, was lots of fun. A werewolf will be completely accepted by his peers once he's extremely good at basketball, its seems.

I got to see True Grit at last - that was great too, brilliantly acted. Can't understand why Hailee Steinfeld isn't up for Best Actress rather than Supporting tonight.

Finally, I went to see Inside Job. Depressing isn't the word to describe how you'll feel after watching it...compulsory viewing for anyone interested in the scale of the global economy and the downturn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

Just watched Anvil. Thoroughly enjoyable :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement