Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 400 ✭✭Im Only 71Kg

Scott Pilgrim v The world....is a work of art. 8/10. loved every minute..mary elizebeth winstead is my new favourite! beautiful..felt the same way when i first saw run lola run..maybe i have a thing for hair dye.

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭DonalN

True Grit. Very good movie. The young actress in it is excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

The Crush

very good little film, didnt know what to expect and was really surprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Watched 127 Hours and Due Date tonight.

127 Hours was very good, I love Danny Boyle's style very cool and edgy.

Due Date was an enjoyable romp a bit too long perhaps. I don't understand the bad reviews its been getting.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Who Framed Roger Rabbit

For some reason this film came into my head and I realised I hadn't watched it properly for years. I still enjoyed it and marvelled at it's impressive production mix of live and animated footage. It's quite a clever film with it's nods towards film noir and some dark themes, certainly can't be brushed as a kids film.

I'd seen a lot of violent films growing up (advantages of an older brother :pac:) and they never really had an impact on me in terms of nightmares or scaring me as a kid. But, Christopher Lloyd as Judge Doom just never stood well with me, especially when he gets run over by the steamroller and comes back with his bald head and glaring red animated eyes *shudders* and when he melts in the dip *shudders again*

Plus, that poor squeeky shoe at the start of the film :(

The sequel has been on & off for years (there's an impressive 1998 test footage for the sequel which blends Roger Rabbit with animation and CGI) but it's apparently still in the works. It's been said by Robert Zemeckis it'll also stay as an animated film like the original.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Duggy747 wrote: »
    Who Framed Roger Rabbit

For some reason this film came into my head and I realised I hadn't watched it properly for years. I still enjoyed it and marvelled at it's impressive production mix of live and animated footage. It's quite a clever film with it's nods towards film noir and some dark themes, certainly can't be brushed as a kids film.

I'd seen a lot of violent films growing up (advantages of an older brother :pac:) and they never really had an impact on me in terms of nightmares or scaring me as a kid. But, Christopher Lloyd as Judge Doom just never stood well with me, especially when he gets run over by the steamroller and comes back with his bald head and glaring red animated eyes *shudders* and when he melts in the dip *shudders again*

Plus, that poor squeeky shoe at the start of the film :(

The sequel has been on & off for years (there's an impressive 1998 test footage for the sequel which blends Roger Rabbit with animation and CGI) but it's apparently still in the works. It's been said by Robert Zemeckis it'll also stay as an animated film like the original.

I love that movie! I'd always loved it as a kid, but I saw it over Christmas and discovered how good it actually is. And yes, Christopher Lloyd's eyes - yikes! But UTV always used to disappoint by clumsily cutting that shot out.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I love that movie! I'd always loved it as a kid, but I saw it over Christmas and discovered how good it actually is. And yes, Christopher Lloyd's eyes - yikes! But UTV always used to disappoint by clumsily cutting that shot out.

UTV were brutal for slicing films to shìt. They always showed films like Under Siege and Predator but they had them chopped to pieces. Robocop being the most memorable as all the good scenes were cut out (Murphy being shot to shìt last a mere few seconds)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,312 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Not to mention the fact that they cut out bad language too. Overdubbed in some hilarious way.

The 80's UTV cut of 'Aliens' is the stuff of legend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Not to mention Blue Thunder.

Just watched a rather odd little film called The Damned (1963). Essentially about adults who discover the true nature of a military establishment near a sea-side town. The structure is weird, the tone is at times strange but its one of those obscure films that worth sticking with if only to say you've seen it! Its directed by American ex-pat Joseph Losey who went on to direct a string of British classics like The Servant, Accident, The Go-Between and The Romantic Englishwoman.

With a rewrite to get rid of the curious "teddy-boy" theme it would be a story worth remaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

I watched The Prestige last night. Thought it was brilliant, Christopher Nolan never fails to deliver. I see Memento is on Film 4 in a few days so defo worth the watch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Darius.Tr

Just watched Lord of War, Nicolas Cage was great in it...I could say its one of the best films i'we seen this week so far :)

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭What? Oh Rly!

Watched a random few over the last few days.

Good morning Vietnam - Hadn't seen it in years, let down by it tbh.
    Dinner for shmucks - Complete dog s*ite.
    127 Hours - Meh, didn't really impress me.
    Broken Flowers - One of my fav films, love Billy Murray!

!!!!!!!!!!!WARNING Spoilers!!!!!!!!!!!

‘The Prestige’

Like "Dman001" above, I watched ‘The Prestige’ recently, but unlike him/her, I came away with a different opinion. Nolan’s film is very good, as are most of his other film’s (including the over-rated ‘Batman’ movies) and it is shot extremely well, showcasing “Theatre” London from 1899 in a convincing way. The cast work well, with what they’ve got and even though it’s obvious that once the main characters are stripped of their obsessions, there wouldn’t be much left, they do well within the confines of the sketch. Christian Bale (Alfred Borden) and Hugh Jackman (Robert Angier) seem comfortable here in period costume and are supported nicely by Michael Caine, who is again basically playing himself. But, that’s ok in my book. Scarlet Johannsson pulls off a decent English accent and a surprising David Bowie makes an appearance as the real life Nicola Tesla, who is tasked by Robert Angier to create a special electrical device for his stage show.

All well and good so far and the story remains satisfying for the bulk of the film too. It’s gripping tale of two magicians who are enraptured and tormented by one another’s tricks and the bitter rivalry is convincing enough. The tricks are explained and it all remains within the realm of realism and therefore is very easy to buy into. That is, until the last act, when the film takes a left turn into the absurd and loses its audience, once it’s own “prestige” is revealed.

The magic presented in ‘The Prestige’ is shown as slight of hand. These men are after all showmen and the illusions they entertain their audience’s with are based on the real tricks that the likes of Houdini would have showcased around the same time, such as the Chinese Water Torture Cell, which in one show goes terribly wrong and sparks off the two main characters hatred for each other. The convincing display of “magic” helps draw the viewer in and want to know where the story is going to go. Unfortunately, the conclusion is such a switcharoo, that it’s impossible not to feel let down by it, as the preceding events were all rendered with such consummate realism. Put plainly, ‘The Prestige’ veers off into the ‘Twilight Zone’ in the final stages and presents us with a terrible deceit at the end, which requires the viewer to believe that Hugh Jackman’s magician is using a machine he funded Tesla to build to somehow CLONE himself night after night on stage, during his “Transported Man” act. The shtick at the centre of the two magician’s obsession. The ‘Transported Man’ act essentially shows a man being transported from one part of the stage to somewhere else. Borden originally conceived the trick and uses a double, which turns out to be his twin, in another of the film’s deceits (although it’s rather obvious midway through). Borden’s ‘Transported Man’ remains rooted in real world restrictions, but Angier’s ‘Transported Man’ is the stuff of cheap sci-fi comics and it’s incredibly out of place in the story and ends up destroying it, once it’s revealed. The nightly clone is despatched through a trapdoor into a water chamber (used in the Chinese Water Torture trick, where presumably he drowns each time) Apart from the fact that it’s just plain silly, it simply doesn’t live up to the previous 2 hours of storyline.

On top of that, we are required to believe that Borden’s twin brother, who as well as helping out on stage, lives a double life with his sibling sharing his wife, family and home! He also goes to his death, after a court finds him guilty of killing Angier during his last performance of the ‘Transported Man’ when “Borden” is caught backstage as one of Angier’s clones is found drowned.To believe that Borden’s twin brother would sacrifice his life for the sake of his twin brother’s trick is requiring the audience to REALLY stretch it and like Tesla’s electric cloning device, just wouldn’t work.

All this is a shame really, as ‘The Prestige’ is a really good film for the majority of its running time. But unlike most real “magic” tricks where once they are explained, the ingenuity of the trick can be its own reward, ‘The Prestige’ just get marred terribly once the cogs of it’s trick is revealed.

Snap At the Jameson Film Festival. I liked it only I thought it was somewhat slow paced and too bitter. The mother is one of those characters who you don't whether to like and sympathise with or hate coz she's an annoying cow.
    Also, I know taking the baby had something to do with repressed memories from when he was younger, but you never really know the real motivation for why the teenager took the baby

I Am Number Four IF I hadn't free tickets to this, then I wouldn't have went tbh. I thought it was good, apart from falling into stereotypical - predicatible American 'new guy moves to town and upsets the jocks dominance in the high school'.

The Human Centipede In a way I had to watch this to see for myself just how bad it was. It was gruesome. Very hard to watch and lacking a coherent plot. The surgical scenes will churn your stomach.
    And I don't know why the man at the front had to be Japanese, if he was an English speaker, it would have made for much better horror on the victims part.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

seen the prestige and if theydve told us from the start it was a sci/fi film i wouldve actually gone seen it in the cinema !

ALOT better than i thought it would be with some kicker of twists going on. i bet the quantum physicists set will get a blast out of teslas machine.

went to see I am number 4 last week and TBH if you cut out the smaltzy romance you get a really GOOD 80s sci/fi B movie. it really gets going in the second half and was alot more enjoyable than i expected it to be (i pretty much had it pegged as a twilight chick flick job )

yesterday went to see True Grit.

im no western fan but this was alright. a bit "slow" in pacing in places but all in all a very well acted well drawn story. the kid in particular is basically the star of the show and deserves all the credit she's got. amazing preformance for someone with no experience behind them. bridges is practically unrecognaisable as rooster as is damon as the texas ranger, which actually helps the film as you think of them as their characters and not jason bourne and the dude.

for a "big" film it seems very small and intimate in places which i suppose stands as a testement to it.

not bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭budgemook

Tony EH wrote: »

‘The Prestige’

Like "Dman001" above, I watched ‘The Prestige’ recently, but unlike him/her, I came away with a different opinion. Nolan’s film is very good, as are most of his other film’s (including the over-rated ‘Batman’ movies) and it is shot extremely well, showcasing “Theatre” London from 1899 in a convincing way. The cast work well, with what they’ve got and even though it’s obvious that once the main characters are stripped of their obsessions, there wouldn’t be much left, they do well within the confines of the sketch. Christian Bale (Alfred Borden) and Hugh Jackman (Robert Angier) seem comfortable here in period costume and are supported nicely by Michael Caine, who is again basically playing himself. But, that’s ok in my book. Scarlet Johannsson pulls off a decent English accent and a surprising David Bowie makes an appearance as the real life Nicola Tesla, who is tasked by Robert Angier to create a special electrical device for his stage show.

All well and good so far and the story remains satisfying for the bulk of the film too. It’s gripping tale of two magicians who are enraptured and tormented by one another’s tricks and the bitter rivalry is convincing enough. The tricks are explained and it all remains within the realm of realism and therefore is very easy to buy into. That is, until the last act, when the film takes a left turn into the absurd and loses its audience, once it’s own “prestige” is revealed.

The magic presented in ‘The Prestige’ is shown as slight of hand. These men are after all showmen and the illusions they entertain their audience’s with are based on the real tricks that the likes of Houdini would have showcased around the same time, such as the Chinese Water Torture Cell, which in one show goes terribly wrong and sparks off the two main characters hatred for each other. The convincing display of “magic” helps draw the viewer in and want to know where the story is going to go. Unfortunately, the conclusion is such a switcharoo, that it’s impossible not to feel let down by it, as the preceding events were all rendered with such consummate realism. Put plainly, ‘The Prestige’ veers off into the ‘Twilight Zone’ in the final stages and presents us with a terrible deceit at the end, which requires the viewer to believe that Hugh Jackman’s magician is using a machine he funded Tesla to build to somehow CLONE himself night after night on stage, during his “Transported Man” act. The shtick at the centre of the two magician’s obsession. The ‘Transported Man’ act essentially shows a man being transported from one part of the stage to somewhere else. Borden originally conceived the trick and uses a double, which turns out to be his twin, in another of the film’s deceits (although it’s rather obvious midway through). Borden’s ‘Transported Man’ remains rooted in real world restrictions, but Angier’s ‘Transported Man’ is the stuff of cheap sci-fi comics and it’s incredibly out of place in the story and ends up destroying it, once it’s revealed. The nightly clone is despatched through a trapdoor into a water chamber (used in the Chinese Water Torture trick, where presumably he drowns each time) Apart from the fact that it’s just plain silly, it simply doesn’t live up to the previous 2 hours of storyline.

On top of that, we are required to believe that Borden’s twin brother, who as well as helping out on stage, lives a double life with his sibling sharing his wife, family and home! He also goes to his death, after a court finds him guilty of killing Angier during his last performance of the ‘Transported Man’ when “Borden” is caught backstage as one of Angier’s clones is found drowned.To believe that Borden’s twin brother would sacrifice his life for the sake of his twin brother’s trick is requiring the audience to REALLY stretch it and like Tesla’s electric cloning device, just wouldn’t work.

All this is a shame really, as ‘The Prestige’ is a really good film for the majority of its running time. But unlike most real “magic” tricks where once they are explained, the ingenuity of the trick can be its own reward, ‘The Prestige’ just get marred terribly once the cogs of it’s trick is revealed.

One thing.
    About one of the brothers going to his death - well one of them had to, coming clean about being twins would've still meant one of them had to go and the one who didn't had a daughter so the brother gave his life so that she could have a father.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

The Chaser - Korean film about an ex cop who's now a pimp, pissed off because his girls keep running off. The horrific truth is revealed when he encounters a particularly unpleasant john.

Gripping stuff, bit gruesome and yes, up for the obligatory US remake.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

Saw the social network the monday after the Oscars and now Im delighted it got best screen play. well deserved. excellent film.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Die Hard 4 on DVD. Saw it before but turned on the director commentary. They focussed way too much on the production of the movie and talked very little about their opinions of the characters and the topics within the movie its self. Quite bland at times but had its moments of enlightment as all commentaries do.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

I watched Eagle Eye last night. I enjoyed it even though the ending/last 15 minutes were a joke. Great scenes and I liked the soundtrack. Fun film.

The Town. I like this although it wasn't what I was expecting. A little let down but nevertheless it was a great romp. Some nice set pieces and again, the soundtrack is proving nice. I particularly loved
    the scene where they rob the truck and get to the safehouse, parked outside is a cop. He swiftly turns a blind eye.
    Lately all I'm listening for is the soundtrack!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

The Social Network.

I've already watched it twice since getting it on DVD. Such a brilliant film, it just gets better and better. Looking forward to listening to the commentary tracks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭johndoe99

I watched Saw: The Final Chapter last night, (not so final as theres talk of an 8th), i enjoyed it, but the kills are after getting old, they've had a less of an impact on me. I watched the 2D version and blood was pink in most areas.

'127 Hours'

Despite being essentially a one man show (starring James Franco as Aron Ralston), '127 Hours' remains a gripping tale. Franco's job is quite hard as he has to carry the load for almost the entire film. Not an easy task and he manages to do this very well. The story of Ralston itself is simple enough, involving a solo mountain hike in Utah. If you don't know about Ralston's story, then don't find out and let the film tell you. You'll enjoy it all the more. Clocking at just over 90 minutes, enough is told on screen, despite the initially perceived brevity of narrative.

I won't include the customary trailer for this one, as IMHO, it gives too much away.

'Black Hawk Down'

I saw 'Black Hawk Down' when it first came out in 2001.and remember thinking that it wasn't really a film I enjoyed terribly well. Not that I don't enjoy war movies, but "my" war interest lies in a conflict that ended over 60 years ago and "modern" conflicts tend not to interest me all that much, as they tend to focus way too much on American ops and the impact on Americans, as opposed on everyone else involved. 'Black Hawk Down' is no exception here. In fact, it leaves out HUGE passages regarding the political situation in Somalia and fails to successfully illuminate the reasons for the "Battle of Mogadishu" at all, that many people who watch the film have no idea what's going on. But, even when armed with some knowledge (I remember news footage of the bodies of the US soldiers being dragged through the streets in 1993, the first time I saw it the film), 'Black Hawk Down' is still obscure. That doesn't mean that the viewer won't "enjoy" the film of course. But, it's probably best to find out why the US launched a raid on Mohamad Adid's SNA headquaters in Mogadishu, before sitting down to the film.

Stripping the story down to it's basics, Scott has chosen to focus on the downing of two UH-60 Black Hawk helicopters during the "Adid" raid and the subsequent efforts to rescue the crews. Showing how a meticulously planned military action can quickly turn into a fiasco, despite the odds being in your favor.

'Black Hawk Down' must have been a very difficult film to make for Ridley Scott. I'd say his most difficult, in fact. The reasons being that it focus's almost entirely on the running battle in the streets of the Somali capital. Shot in Morocco, Scott manages to display, somewhat, the confusion and fear that a full on street battle would evoke and "Mogadishu" looks every part the ravaged city, so alien to the young US Rangers eyes. Although, I felt that there was the tendency in some areas of the film to be a little bit "gung ho". This can be due to the fact that many of the kids in the ranks of Delta Force were "green" and still full of silly bravado. It tends to give a "war is cool" impression over a "war is hell" one and the film suffers a little on that front. I suspect that producer Jerry Bruckheimer, better known for explosive action flicks (Top Gun, Pearl Habor, Con Air, etc), may have a little too much influence here and there.

Unfortunately, too, without proper focus on the Somali side, it comes across as if the whole city is coming down on the US soldiers and that's a severe weakness. Although Adid's militia forces were aided by some Mogadishu citizens, no effort is made to distinguish the combatants. An issue that caused some controversy at the time of the films release, along with the fact that no Somali's were involved with the making of the film at all. Also left out were the contributions made by Pakastani and Malaysian forces who were allies. An all too common trait in American war movies.

Technically, the film is made with a lot of care, but personally, I could have done without the oversaturated / high contrast picture. At times, it really was hard on the eyes and created a very unnatural appearance. The acting is, for the most part, handled well enough. But the choice of British/Scottish/Australian actors for some US soldiers is a curious one. Lead roles are taken by Ewen McGregor, Ewen Bremner, Orlando Bloom and Eric Bana and their accents slip noticeably in a number of scenes. Other parts are handled by Josh Hartnett, Sam Sheppard and Tom Sizemore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Honkytonk man - Clint as a C&W singer.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

‘The Prestige’

Shpoilers ahead:

What you're saying ruins the film is in fact what makes it so good. Borden and Angier are two conflicting magicians with very different methods to the same trick. It all stems from seeing the old Chinese magician, who lives his entire life as a cripple in public to support the illusion "utter self sacrifice" as Bale puts it. And thats the trick in itself. Its explained right from the beginning, plan as day, that the prestige is a disappointing truth, its what the trick is, not how its done that the magic part.

I thought the sci-fi aspect of it was cleverly done, read up on Tesla the real man and the stuff he was doing was decades ahead of his time, its the entire point of the movie that Angier spends a fortune trying to replicate a trick thats so simple, Caines character even explains that
    its a double, its simple as that, just happens hes an exact double in a twin, and cuts off his own fingers to uphold the illusion (utter self sacrifice)
    . Angier stumbles upon how to do it with "real magic" (theres also a theory that the machine doesnt work at all, and its another trick) and thats where The Prestiges genius lies, its explained to you but at the same time you can decide for yourself which is real and which is illusion.

IMO its one of the most underrated movies of the past decade, Nolan hasnt made a bad movie yet,Insomnia wasnt fantastic but it wasnt terrible either, watchable thriller with some good scenes.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Up-n-atom!

I don't know, I just don't get The Prestige - keep confusing it with The Illusionist too, which doesn't help...

Seen The Cove during the week - shocking doesn't even start to cover it. Luckily (and hopefully this will continue into the future!) the slaughter of dolphins for food seems to have subsided following this documentary.

Also see Of Gods and Men, which is well worth watching, and timely too considering what's going on in North Africa these days.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

I thought the final twist in the prestige was so beyond retarded it was worthy of being directed by M. Night tbh. Completely overshadowed and ruined the movie for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

final twist? it was telegraphed from the very first scene of the movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Not that I don't enjoy war movies, but "my" war interest lies in a conflict that ended over 60 years ago and "modern" conflicts tend not to interest me all that much, as they tend to focus way too much on American ops and the impact on Americans, as opposed on everyone else involved.

Quite a sweeping statement. It varies on the genre though.
    'Black Hawk Down' is no exception here. In fact, it leaves out HUGE passages regarding the political situation in Somalia and fails to successfully illuminate the reasons for the "Battle of Mogadishu" at all, that many people who watch the film have no idea what's going on.

The film is overlong as it is. Adding in the back story would take another 30-50 minutes. I think they completed a sufficient amount of story telling. There was civil war in Somalia, the people were ravaged by hunger and death prompting UN forces to arrive. Then the mission is about getting Adid's staff and even the capture of the man. The mission was supposed to be an extraction but turned to a battle.
    But, it's probably best to find out why the US launched a raid on Mohamad Adid's SNA headquaters in Mogadishu, before sitting down to the film.

Civil War, mass killings, hunger, death. Adid launched a genocide.
    Showing how a meticulously planned military action can quickly turn into a fiasco, despite the odds being in your favor.

Not quite. As Knight said in film, it was a day attack instead of night - it meant that troops wouldn't be as successful and were in the open. Little air support, just Black Hawks and Little Birds - adequate but the Rangers wanted heavier support. No armor neither. Ammo ran out fast too and there were few night vision goggles etc. They were also outnumbered but not outskilled so that's not as important as a factor.
    Although, I felt that there was the tendency in some areas of the film to be a little bit "gung ho". This can be due to the fact that many of the kids in the ranks of Delta Force were "green" and still full of silly bravado.

Eh. No. The boys in Delta Force are elite. Best of the US best. They are required to serve in the armed forces prior to entering and are among the most battle tested troops. Also, "silly bravado"? What do you mean?
    It tends to give a "war is cool" impression over a "war is hell" one and the film suffers a little on that front.

Yeah cause nothing is cool like stripping off and defiling a fellow combatant's body and dragging it through the crowds.
    Unfortunately, too, without proper focus on the Somali side, it comes across as if the whole city is coming down on the US soldiers and that's a severe weakness.

Simple. It's a movie from the American perspective.
    Also left out were the contributions made by Pakastani and Malaysian forces who were allies. An all too common trait in American war movies.

Pakistani troops are mentioned at the start. Their deaths led to the Americans upping their force numbers and thus the Battle. UN troops are also important to the Americans not suffering more deaths in the "Mog".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

Confessions (2010) - Heard great things about it, but found it dull and gave up before the end.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement