Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

'Black Hawk Down'

klassssssssssssss film

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

The Town - not bad, but it didn't live up to the hype for me. I thought Jeremy Renner was particularly good though.

The Social Network - I really liked this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Watched the Human Centipede on SyFy last night. Started off quite well and pretty intense but the "human centipede" itself was lacking quality effects. Basically 3 people were sown together, heads in arses style to create one being, what the good German doctor described as a human centipede. Worth a watch as the doctor is one freaky fish.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

TANGLED 3D

Again the film had to be restarted because the 3D wasnt working properly.

but other than that, it was a great film. really laughed and the story the characters, brilliant. really made something special out of a classic fairy tale.

definitely getting it when it comes out on dvd. didnt really need the 3D but it was very cool in the scene with the floating lanterns.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Fine, Totally Fine - lovely Japanese comedy about clumsy social interaction between shy, geekish types and a search for love.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

indough wrote: »
    final twist? it was telegraphed from the very first scene of the movie.

It certainly is, the opening shot to be exact. and Bales first line is directly to us, the audience "Are you watching closely?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭bergkamp10

Was pleasantly surprised, in a "leave your brain on the shelf" type way at just what enjoyable old guff 'Taken' with Liam Neeson turned out to be

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Taken - Death Wish for the 21st century minus the learning curve that Paul Kersey had to go through and plus a abduction plotline. The rat-tat-a-tat editing got a bit much by the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭Cookie33

Taken. Loved the movie although this is the second time watching it now and I have to admit its not as good as the first time around.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 890 ✭✭✭CrinkElite

Just finished King Kong (1933).

It's an absolute masterpiece.
    I urge anyone who hasn't seen it to put it at the top of your list.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

Hereafter, Clint Eastwoods latest with Peter Morgan's script.
    http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/hereafter/

A film of turgid awfulness that I can only encourage you all to avoid at all costs.
    3 separate stories which each offer nothing are tied together loosely at the end.

The opening scene of the Tsunami is breathtaking but after that there's nothing to engage with.

2/10.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Finally watched Brotherhood after having it in my DVD collection for over two years. It is an excellent South Korean movie about the Korean War and its effects on two brothers. It is a very good film with battle scenes on par if not better than Saving Private Ryan. Definitely would recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I Am Number Four :(

The only reason I went to see this tripe was because the GF has free tickets to the cinema every month from O2 and that she picked it without me.

I know the origin of this film and why it exists (James Frey licking his lips at the gaping hole Twilight left) so I was not keen on seeing it one bit but since it was free and I had nothing better to do................eh, why not.

Cliched, boring, non-sensical plot (why are these aliens here, why are they being hunted!?!) and extremely run-of-the-mill dialogue that was only made enjoyable because me and the GF smuggled in beer and drank troughout the whole thing picking it apart (it was an empty screen bar 3 other people)

Fortunately, she thought it was shìt (she's a Twilight-head) and said she'll leave the movie choices up to me anymore...............................wise choice :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

Shutter Island, good film.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

Kev_ps3 wrote: »
    Shutter Island, good film.

Only a slight understatement :p

watched Fever Pitch - based on the book by Nick Hornby.

funny film about a comprehensive school teacher, with an unhealthy obsession with Arsenal and what happens when reality comes calling.

really funny and if your a soccer fan, you will definitely get it, but if not Im sure you would still laugh at it.

I love colin firth and its nice to see him in a not so serious film. mark strong also makes an appearence.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭MiloYossarian

I Saw the Devil

Excellent film, borrows a lot, but puts it to good use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

CrinkElite wrote: »
    Just finished King Kong (1933).
    It's an absolute masterpiece.
    I urge anyone who hasn't seen it to put it at the top of your list.
    I urge anyone to watch The Lost World from the 1920s. It's out on DVD and is the movie King Kong copied!

Just watched anchorman.
    it was good. some great quotable lines. and very funny in places.

"I dont know if you know, but Im kind of a big deal!"

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭The Swordsman

Warper wrote: »
    Watched the Human Centipede on SyFy last night. Started off quite well and pretty intense but the "human centipede" itself was lacking quality effects. Basically 3 people were sown together, heads in arses style to create one being, what the good German doctor described as a human centipede. Worth a watch as the doctor is one freaky fish.

I watched it myself. Compelling film but only because it was so bad. I've seen some really bad films but I don't think I've ever seen anything as bad as this.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 890 ✭✭✭CrinkElite

Nolanger wrote: »
    I urge anyone to watch The Lost World from the 1920s. It's out on DVD and is the movie King Kong copied!

that's next on my list. I have seen some footage of it on youtube and it looks interesting but the stop motion doesn't seem to be of the same quality. Of course I can't comment until I've actually seen it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Don't forget Mighty Joe Young (1949) after that!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,312 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Quite a sweeping statement. It varies on the genre though.

The film is overlong as it is. Adding in the back story would take another 30-50 minutes. I think they completed a sufficient amount of story telling. There was civil war in Somalia, the people were ravaged by hunger and death prompting UN forces to arrive. Then the mission is about getting Adid's staff and even the capture of the man. The mission was supposed to be an extraction but turned to a battle.

Civil War, mass killings, hunger, death. Adid launched a genocide.

Not quite. As Knight said in film, it was a day attack instead of night - it meant that troops wouldn't be as successful and were in the open. Little air support, just Black Hawks and Little Birds - adequate but the Rangers wanted heavier support. No armor neither. Ammo ran out fast too and there were few night vision goggles etc. They were also outnumbered but not outskilled so that's not as important as a factor.

Eh. No. The boys in Delta Force are elite. Best of the US best. They are required to serve in the armed forces prior to entering and are among the most battle tested troops. Also, "silly bravado"? What do you mean?

Yeah cause nothing is cool like stripping off and defiling a fellow combatant's body and dragging it through the crowds.

Simple. It's a movie from the American perspective.

Pakistani troops are mentioned at the start. Their deaths led to the Americans upping their force numbers and thus the Battle. UN troops are also important to the Americans not suffering more deaths in the "Mog".

Whoa...get off your high horse there. It's a review of a film I liked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

The Fighter - Oscar well deserved for both, especially Bale - amazing performance, was hard to believe it was him in the film - thats how into the role he was.

Gladiator - directors cut - watched this on bluray (amazing quality!!)
    and the directors cut has lots extra.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭eugeneious

Just watched Shutter Island a couple of days ago and thought it was a good if unspectacular

Also watched Taken last night.... Really enjoyed thought Liam Neeson was brilliant

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

12 Angry Men (1957)

This film should be on a list of films that everyone either has seen or will see. It runs a mere 96 minutes, detailing the deliberations of a jury on a murder trial, and almost nothing of the externals of the trial is seen. Virtually the whole film takes place in the jury room, and it's through the deliberations that we learn the details of the trial. It's about a lot of things, none of them easy themes - the process of deliberation, rationality, racism, democracy and the idea of reasonable doubt all feature, and none is given an easy shake.

The twelve characters are exceptionally well-drawn, and varied enough to make the dialogue inevitably interesting. They include some principled, some rational, some prejudiced. One character starts likable and funny, but is so apathetic towards the process and the idea of condemning the suspect to death that he draws condemnation from many others of the group, and by the end of the film is very hard to admire. Several are so quiet at the beginning that it's easy to suspect they'll have no contribution to make - in no case is that true.

In a lot of ways, the film feels similar to a one-act play, with its single setting and basis on strong dialogue and characterisation, and its reliance on excellent performances by the cast (which it gets), but the director ensures that the visuals match up to the extremely strong screenplay. The rare close-ups, the long takes, and the camera's slow progress from looking down on the cast to looking up at them as the walls seem to close in, all add to the mounting tension of the film. I didn't notice it while watching, but the Wikipedia entry on it mentions that various lens types were also used to further increase this feeling of claustrophobia.

--

This is the fourth film I've seen or rewatched in the last few months that follows the Three Classical Unities, along with Alien, Moon and High Noon, and I'd consider three out of those four to be absolute classics. (High Noon may be considered a classic Western but for me it was, aside from an admittedly exciting climax, so bad and so corny as to be almost unwatchable.) I suppose those Ancient Greeks really knew what they were about.

'Black Swan'

As pretentious as the dance form (can be) at the centre of the story, Darren Aronofsky's much praised descent into madness plays out like a Dario Argento wannabe. Fans of Giallo, or even Roman Polanski, will recognise all the usual touchstones in 'Black Swan', but Aronofsky's film lacks Argento's style or the quiet dread of 'Repulsion'. I'm not that big a fan of either Polanski or Argento, so I don't want to make it seem that I am using "masters" to bash a "student". Although Aronofsky can hardly be considered a "student", he is the relative new kid on the block. Maybe it's just me, but I have yet to truly enjoy an Aronofsky film. I didn't rate 'Pi' and his subsequent efforts just haven't done it for me. Although 'Requiem for a Dream' contains flashes of brilliance and I probably should give that one another go at some point.

The problem, perhaps, is that I've been here before and as such was always just one step ahead of 'Black Swan'. The result is that at the end of the film it was a relief somewhat. But, viewers unfamiliar with the territory may find Aronofsky's effort a great experience.

There are many things about 'Black Swan' that are worthwhile. In general the acting is good, although Portman's one note can get irritating at times. Mila Kunis sheds "Meg" very well. Vincent Cassel tries his best as a motivated company head. It was also nice to see Barbara Hershey (Portman's mum) and Wynonna Rider (fading starlet) back on the screen, one sporting a truly disturbing facelift and the other continuing her long journey though cinematic rehab, after her brush with the law.

The visuals are generally great and there are a number of "did I really see that" moments in the frame. I can't say I know too much about the world of ballet, but its portrayal here is convincing enough as far as I am concerned. Although, the old hoary cliché of the success obsessed ballerina has been done before.

It's not that I didn't like 'Black Swan' at all, I did on many levels. It certainly holds the attention and Nina's (Portman) obsessions, hallucinations, dreams and distortions of reality are handled quite well. But it still suffers from the same problem that Aronofsky's films all have. There's just something missing for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Das weiße Band - Extremely good film. Started watching it late when I was tired, looked at the runtime and sighed, imagining I'd need to turn it off half way, but the hours flew by. Which is surprising as the pace flows and ebbs for the majority. It's just wholly intriguing and compelling. Recommended.

‘Jaws’

There isn’t much that can be written about Spielberg’s first major effort that hasn’t been written before in countless reviews, documentaries and making of’s that have been produced since the big rubber shark first scared the crap out of people in the summer of 1975. Well known are the obstacles that the film makers had to overcome, in order to produce cinema’s first “blockbuster”. Terrible weather, cold water, sinking boats, arguing stars, minimal usable film footage and “Bruce”.

“Bruce” was the cause of so much bother that it famously forced Spielberg’s hand on numerous occasions, requiring him to keep the star of the show (the shark) out of the picture for long periods of the film. Almost perversely, it makes the film even more terrifying than would have been, if the great white had shown his hand at the beginning as Spielberg had originally intended. Named after Spielberg’s then lawyer, “Bruce” was subject to multiple faults, largely due to the corrosive nature of the seawater on his hydraulics. “The shark is not working” became the catchphrase of the day and many of the cast and crew contemplated the end of their careers as the mechanics failed with depressing regularity, the screenplay got rewrites, the budget went way over the top and the dailies were showing minimal returns. The gruelling shoot of ‘Jaws’ is legendary and the disparaging on-the-set nickname of ‘Flaws’ was well earned.

In the end however, everybody managed to turn in the (at the time) highest grossing movie ever and with such a lowbrow story, albeit based on Peter Benchley’s bestseller from the early 70’s. Such a simple story, a massive great white “stakes a claim” off of a summer island beach resort (Amity) and chomps his way through a few swimmers until an “ahab” like character is hired to go put an end to it and all in what is essentially a two act play. It does have a lot to owe ‘Moby Dick’, but the story stands in its own right too and the changes to the screenplay made for a better film. Gone are the unnecessary Benchley subplots, the lacklustre (but more realistic) ending and the “too much story” feel of the novel and what we are left with is the stripped down classic that became the benchmark for many a summer to come.

The acting is superb in many respects and each of the human leads compliment each other very well. “Land-lubber” chief Brody (Roy Scheider) is convincing as a New York cop out of his depth in the bloody waters of Amity. Richard Dreyfuss is charming as Matt Hooper, the uber-rich oceanographic member called in by Brody to help out with “his” shark problem and best of all is the excellent Robert Shaw as the grizzled Sam Quint, who has been on a one man vendetta against sharks since his encounter with them in 1945. It’s a brilliant piece of casting genius putting all three together and it makes the film what it is in a lot of ways. Also in the “stroke of genius” dept. is John William’s signature tune, which has long since entered into movie history. There can scarcely be a person into movies that isn’t aware of what that simple E F chord sequence did to my generation. Spielberg himself has acknowledged that the film would be half of what it is without William’s music. Also, a special mention should go to Verna Fields who won the Oscar for best editing. Quite rightly, the academy recognised her great efforts at turning thousands of feet of mostly unusable film into a coherent whole. Although, in at least one sequence (“This is what happens…”), there is evidence of some terrible celluloid butchery.

As one would expect, with a film involving a man eating shark, ‘Jaws’ is quite bloody and features many sequences that stay with the viewer long after the film has ended. The titles, the opening sequence, the boy’s pathetic deflated rubber raft, Quint’s first appearance, the attack in the estuary, the shark’s first appearance, the yellow barrels, the USS Indianapolis speech, Hooper’s dive in the shark cage, Quint vs shark and the explosive ending are among just a few. There are many more. Numerous too, are the great quotable lines of dialogue, endlessly repeated by movie bores. “We’re going to need a bigger boat”.

The aforementioned “bloodiness” can be genuinely shocking at times, even in scenes that would be considered ridiculous. I still find it amazing that ‘Jaws’ received a PG rating on its release in 1975. Incredible really, when one considers that much tamer films have had to make do with an “R” or “18’s” certificate. It’s certainly not a film I would show to a child. The “head in the boat” scene gave me nightmares for months, when I first saw it and even Quint’s far-fetched encounter with the shark on the deck of the “Orca” still has the power to disturb today. There are few films that can achieve that. The shark itself is as realistic as you want it to be though. If you set out looking for flaws, you’ll find them. But for the most part Bob Matty and his crew did a splendid job and many scenes, I still find the big rubber shark fearsome, decades after it first frightened the life out of me.

“Smile, you son-of-a-bitch”

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭pocketvenus

Rewatched Shutter Island last night on Sky Movies.

Such a brilliant film and one of Scorsese best I think. For me it is one of the best films of 2010 and was disappointed it didn't get any nod's at any award cermony even in technical area's. I also love the use of Max Richter's On the Nature of Daylight in the film and the way they layered This Bitter Earth over it for the credits.

I especially think the last line Teddy says is very poignant

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement