Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭filmbuffboy

seen shakespeare in love for the first time recently and i loved it. any shakespeare fan out there should defo see it!

Battle Los Angeles in the cinema. It would have been brilliant if they didnt go down the cliched american one liner route, but they did. still entertaining though, and great sfx.

Saw Australia recently too and is now one of my fave films! A modern classic! IMHO

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Always disliked the Cat Returns, the semi-prequel - features the Baron character - Whisper of the Art is pleasant viewing though. Oh, and always watch subbed ;) The Ghibli film Only Yesterday is one Channel 4 late tonight or tomorrow actually: only one I haven't seen in its entirety, only the second half for some reason!

Star Trek (2009): Was looking for something light and entertaining to watch last night and in the absence of anything else rewatched the Blu-Ray of this. Astonishingly good film, without a doubt the best non-Christopher Nolan blockbuster in the longest time. It has a sense of character and urgency sorely missing from most contemporary Hollywood cinema. It's full of humour, warmth and well judged set pieces. Also, kudos to Abrams and co. for managing to find a narrative justification for a 'reboot'. Obviously there are some plotholes (as is always the way
    with time travel
    ) and its lens-flair-riffic, but Abrams proves himself again as one of the most vital voices in big budget cinema. It's a true shame there aren't as many action / sci-fi blockbusters so colourful and energetic, and it's the best film of its type in some time. Hopefully Super 8 will be a worthy successor, and I look forward to any sequel.

I love Star Trek, its got the rarest of things in movies these days, a sense of fun. I felt watching that the same way I did seeing the first Pirates of the Caribbean movie, pleasantly surprising, well made blockbuster that audiences loved. Its funny as hell in places too, Bones has some brilliant lines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭Magic Eight Ball

Panic Room.
    Not Fincher's best but alot better then most people give it credit for.
    His use of camera movement and scene blocking is truly inspired.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,907 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Panic Room.
    Not Fincher's best but alot better then most people give it credit for.
    His use of camera movement and scene blocking is truly inspired.
    Agreed. I have the 3 Disc Special Edition DVD.. tad excessive maybe!

Watched it recently actually in a hotel room in Lisbon. It's definitely better than people give it credit for.

Flashy camera tricks galore (which Fincher has moved away from) but very enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Cyrus

I had read on here that it wasn't the typical comedy and the advertising of it had been misleading but this was pretty dire. Not a comedy, not a drama, and not entertaining...avoid it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I love Panic Room. I wish they'd get a move on with the Blu-ray.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Mr & Mrs Smith earlier. It's ridiculously good fun. I'm a fan of Pitt and their chemistry is fantastic. Great gun play too. Just exciting and fun all round.

Basq wrote: »
    Agreed. I have the 3 Disc Special Edition DVD.. tad excessive maybe!

Watched it recently actually in a hotel room in Lisbon. It's definitely better than people give it credit for.

Flashy camera tricks galore (which Fincher has moved away from) but very enjoyable.

"hey check this out! can I move a camera through this coffee pot handle? can I? can I? booyah!"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭rednik

Just watching Event horizon again, haven't seen it in years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

I love Panic Room. I wish they'd get a move on with the Blu-ray.

Totally agree. I think its an excellent movie.

• Advertisement

seanybiker wrote: »
    Totally agree. I think its an excellent movie.

that super slow mo sequence where shes trying to get the phone is fantastic, a few people were shouting at the screen when I saw it in the cinema

• Registered Users Posts: 2,750 ✭✭✭sxt

Orphan - Dark and humourus with a twist!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 400 ✭✭Im Only 71Kg

The Thirteenth Floor. not a bad flick..a little difficult to follow but entertaining. definitely worth watching. 6/10.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Always disliked the Cat Returns, the semi-prequel - features the Baron character - Whisper of the Art is pleasant viewing though. Oh, and always watch subbed ;) The Ghibli film Only Yesterday is one Channel 4 late tonight or tomorrow actually: only one I haven't seen in its entirety, only the second half for some reason!

I didn't think it was bad, necessarily, but definitely very light, and more than a bit childish.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 johngavin2

I just saw "V for vendetta." I really enjoyed it to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

Saw The Public Enemy. It dates from 1931 and stars James Cagney. Its the original gangster movie. It was made before the code. Cagney was some performer. The film is episodic and does show its age but its worth a look. If you want to know where films like the Godfather came from look no further.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2hDKOhS7KM

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

I saw Shoot 'Em Up and Battle: Los Angeles over the weekend. I wouldn't recommend either!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Shane St.

Watched taken on tv last night. was a nice paced thriller, not a lot of dialogue and the plot was a bit sketchy but i enjoyed it nonetheless

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

johngavin2 wrote: »
    I just saw "V for vendetta." I really enjoyed it to be honest.

The book's a lot better, and less black-and-white in terms of morality.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭fitzgooble

a siberian film - hillarious!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭rednik

The Faculty on Sky, another I haven't seen in years.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Saw Taken last night....great action/revenge flick, didn't know Katie Cassidy was it it!, Neeson in top form.

Rewatched V For Vendetta, great flick....always watchable!

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Gregsor

Thursday,really impressed,a hidden gem imo :D,just hope there is similar out there i may have missed and stumble across soon too..

Trailer is a little low on quality and doesn't do it any justice.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

^ that was a great movie!...very offbeat and quirky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

saw up in the air for the 1st time last nite , really liked it , clooney is even more smooth than usual although im not too sure about the ending

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

irishh_bob wrote: »
    saw up in the air for the 1st time last nite , really liked it , clooney is even more smooth than usual although im not too sure about the ending

ya, the ending! I so didnt see that coming!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

irishh_bob wrote: »
    I was really enjoying that movie myself too until the ending.
    I think it ruined it for me tbh

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

The ending of Up in the Air totally ruined the whole film for me. The ridiculous twist was bad enough, but then there's the "message" that Reitman tries to ram down your throat in the last 5 minutes. I've never felt so betrayed by a film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

SarahBM wrote: »
    ya, the ending! I so didnt see that coming!

wasnt so much that
    alex was married , more that clooney went back to his old ways
    sort of let me cold , then again , it was quite an unsentimental film

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Use spoilers ffs! I mean seriously you should know better!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement