Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Ridley wrote: »
    Rewatched Back to the Future after playing the game gave me the itch again (I'll treasure that trophy for
    recreating the movie's dialogue
    ). Hadn't seen it in a while so it gave me a chance to appreciate the little things I'd forgotten about like the delivery of "That was so stupid, Grandpa hit him with the car!"

I only have the demo of the game but I'll pick it up at some stage, I loved the attention to detail in it, even the music is spot on, with those little musical cues you've heard a million times before that sound all so nostalgic, glad they left in the swearing too "Jesus Christ, Doc you disentegrated Einstein!"

Its easy to forget that the entire BTTF trilogy takes place over one day in 1985 time, Marty gets sent back in time Friday night, comes home that night in his own timeline, wakes up, goes into the future with Doc Saturday morning, and comes back that same afternoon in Pt3 to find Jennifer on the porch. crazy stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,179 ✭✭✭Ridley

krudler wrote: »
    I only have the demo of the game but I'll pick it up at some stage, I loved the attention to detail in it, even the music is spot on, with those little musical cues you've heard a million times before that sound all so nostalgic, glad they left in the swearing too "Jesus Christ, Doc you disentegrated Einstein!"

Its easy to forget that the entire BTTF trilogy takes place over one day in 1985 time, Marty gets sent back in time Friday night, comes home that night in his own timeline, wakes up, goes into the future with Doc Saturday morning, and comes back that same afternoon in Pt3 to find Jennifer on the porch. crazy stuff.

I warn you that, episodic or not, the game's pretty darn short (and the PS3 version leaves in the PC release date: last month). ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I guess you could say I went to see a Naomi Watts double-bill this evening.

You Will Meet a Tall Dark Stranger:

The actors are good, but there's an annoying voice over at the start that made me want to leave early. Thankfully it stops after a while. Very enjoyable in places but certainly not among Allen's best.

Fair Game:

This I really liked. Liman is a good director. He shoots things very well. Doesn't do everything in a close medium shot like many Hollywood directors do. He takes in more of the actor's performance and lets things play. The film itself is nothing fancy, just a really good old fashioned political thriller.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭tim_holsters

Just finished viewing Woyzeck, maybe it's the hangover but I found it all a little underwhelming. It was just a little dull despite a reliably characteristic performance from Kinski. The town where the film is set looks beautiful.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,183 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Just finished watching Irreversible. At this moment in time all I can say is ****in hell!!!:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,040 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Just finished watching Irreversible. At this moment in time all I can say is ****in hell!!!:(
    it is brilliant though

Not a nice movie is it, I've seen it twice, once was enough tbh. the opening sequence is so hard to watch, I didnt see it in the cinema but I know someone who did and they said a few people walked out after the opening part, that droning noise is meant to make you feel ill, its not far off the brown noise

• Registered Users Posts: 6,183 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

it is brilliant though

There is brilliance there alright, genius even, that the film worked so well given the content and right now I'm still trying to comprehend what I just saw. The film felt way too real.

Easily the most shocking film I've seen. True horror. Wow.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Watched Paul the other week in cinema, not bad but Pegg and Frost without Edgar Wright isn't as good.

And The American which was ok-ish, slow moving broody weary hitman stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

BopNiblets wrote: »
    Watched Paul the other week in cinema, not bad but Pegg and Frost without Edgar Wright isn't as good.
    Did you see "Burke and Hare" yet? Another Pegg film which I found great :D Pegg stars with Andy Serkis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

Just finished watching Invictus.

I felt it was disappointing disappointing. Perhaps it would have been wiser to use archive footage of the matches. Nowhere close to Eastwood at his best.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

The original TV version of Das Boot. Brilliant. The captain is the representation of the hard-working soldier, just doing their job the best they can, out of the admiration and respect for those around them, but all the while being sickened by the nepotism and fallacies of politics. Interesting to see this from the German perspective.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

La Doppia Ora (The Double Hour)

Really good edge-of-your-seat Italian mystery-thriller. There are a few major twists so the less you know about it the better. But I don't think the US trailer reveals too much.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

Went to see Unknown.was excellent,good actors and well made.Anyone who enjoys a good show should deffo watch.Plus Im extremely fussy aboyt filns cos I watch so many.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Fathom (1967) Racquel Welch as sky-diving pasty in double/tripple/quadruple cross comic thriller very much of its day but passed the time nicely. The Fathom character could be a good "franchice" now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Vanishing Point - late night impulse watch last night. I enjoyed it - basically an hour and a half long car chase with a weird early 70s vibe. Kowalski (Barry Newman) takes a Dodge Challenger from Denver to San Francisco, picking up police heat along the way. What follows is a multi State chase with a load of bizarre, occasionally surreal interludes like a naked woman riding a motorbike in circles and a weird desert bible meeting. It's fun, and the lack of a clear motivation for Kowalski - bar the infrequent and very brief flashbacks to his past - gives it that carefree spirit only films from the late 60s/early 70s have. Cleavon Little as Super Soul gives the film energy as the radio presenter giving Kowalski advice over the airwaves, while there's a fun rock soundtrack to boot. Cinematography is excellent too, surprisingly muted and thoughtful for an action film. It's far from perfect - what the hell was up with Charlotte Rampling's deeply unusual and largely pointless cameo? - but it's an endearingly offbeat road movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Up-n-atom!

I watched Taken the other week out of curiosity after all the good reviews I've heard (rather than read). I nearly turned it off after 20 minutes because the set-up is so silly, but I kept with it. It's like a male version of an average but very watchable chick-flick - I don't get some of the praise it's been given but it's a film for parking your brain elsewhere for a couple of hours to watch Liam Neeson kick the **** out of foreigners.

Also seen Waste Land thanks to a Sunday Times freebie - 'tis a really good documentary about workers on a massive rubbish dump in Rio and a Brazilian artist who works with them to create their portraits and raise money for their organisation. Eye-opening stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭AwayWithFaries

Watched Kill Bill Vol 1 & 2 recently. Been a while since I've seen them. Still a great watch tho. Got that damn whistle stuck in my head now tho :)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Run Lola Run or lola rennt. Watched it in German with subtitles.
    Haven't seen this one in ages. Great film. Stylishly shot, hammering soundtrack, fast paced. Definitely worth a look if you missed it first time round.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 400 ✭✭Im Only 71Kg

the wolfman. nothing special. to be fair it's a pale imitation of the american werewolf films..4/10. still scary though!

Napoleon Dynamite..crap flick..although the main character is amazingly annoying,complete retard,in fact he looks like a friend of mine..so i'll get some mileage out of that..for that alone i give it a 4/10!!

• Advertisement

Watched Kill Bill Vol 1 & 2 recently. Been a while since I've seen them. Still a great watch tho. Got that damn whistle stuck in my head now tho :)

Watched them a while back myself, Vol 2 gets unfairly slated imo, its great up until
    she confronts Bill and the climax of this epic tale of bloody revenge is set in a kitchen with him making sandwiches and talking about Superman
    that whole monologue would have worked well in another movie but it completely slows down the pace. I wasnt expecting her to
    go in all guns blazing but some kind of fight or whatever (Bill's idea about a swordfight on the beach would have been class)
    I get its not what Tarantino was going for but for all that preceded it the end was a letdown. The first hour or so of it is brilliant though, I like the contrast between the two movies, ones a Eastern, ones a Western :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

kick ass , one of the silliest movies ive ever seen and not all that great tbh considering what id heard

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

the_syco wrote: »
    Did you see "Burke and Hare" yet? Another Pegg film which I found great :D Pegg stars with Andy Serkis.
    I did, twas good, it even had Christopher Lee in it, and the ultra fine Isla Fisher cleavaging it up all over the shop! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭c0rk3r

Elite force 2

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1555149/

One of the best films ive seen all year. Its a follow on and improvement on the first film, which is hard to believe. Undoubtedly in the top 5 bracket of films made last year

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Only Yesterday - enjoyable, nostalgic Ghibli film from the 90s. Directed by Takahata as opposed to Miyasaki, it has that unique, offbeat vibe Takahata's output is defined by. About a 27 year woman who takes a holiday to work in the Japanese countryside, while experience flashbacks of herself as a ten year old. It's an interesting structure - the flashbacks are like little short films - and a very warm portrayal of both 60s and contemporary Japan. The animation sparkles with little details (love the eyes whenever 10 year old Taeko is excited) and it definitely draws you in with it's very distinct sense of nostalgia and coming-of-age story. One of those films that doesn't strictly need to be animated, but is all the better for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Last night it was Skyline and christ I cant believe I wasted a few hours on that :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,179 ✭✭✭Ridley

Rewatched Back to the Future Part II and Back to the Future Part III. They're... not as subtle as the original (Twin Pines Mall vs Eastwood Ravine) but I likes 'em. My younger self would choose Part II as the best of the trilogy but that's the first movie. Part III will always be the weakest for me personally because it downplays the sci-fi although it's got the stronger plot.

Paul - 'Twas alright. Nowhere near Shaun of the Dead or Hot Fuzz but it's satisfying to spot the movie references ala Spaced. I know they're there in the other movies movies but Paul's playing to my tastes. ;) Few on laughs in the cinema. The guy on my left and my buddy on the right seemed to feeding each other cues on when to laugh (aswell as giving me a rendition of their chewing) apart from one guy at the back who really got a kick out Pegg's
    tissues from 'cold'
    line.

The trailer for Your Highness got a better reaction. Especially poison suckage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Only Yesterday - enjoyable, nostalgic Ghibli film from the 90s. Directed by Takahata as opposed to Miyasaki, it has that unique, offbeat vibe Takahata's output is defined by. About a 27 year woman who takes a holiday to work in the Japanese countryside, while experience flashbacks of herself as a ten year old. It's an interesting structure - the flashbacks are like little short films - and a very warm portrayal of both 60s and contemporary Japan. The animation sparkles with little details (love the eyes whenever 10 year old Taeko is excited) and it definitely draws you in with it's very distinct sense of nostalgia and coming-of-age story. One of those films that doesn't strictly need to be animated, but is all the better for it.

That sounds excellent. On the list it goes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Gattaca - I'd heard numerous times over the years how good this was but only got around to watching it tonight. I have to say I was underwhelmed. It's a very good movie, but there's nothing special about it. Except maybe Uma Therman! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

Gattaca - I'd heard numerous times over the years how good this was but only got around to watching it tonight. I have to say I was underwhelmed. It's a very good movie, but there's nothing special about it. Except maybe Uma Therman! :eek:

I totally agree, what an overrated film. I liked Ethan Hawke, but that was about it.
    :rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement