Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

Submarine - just after watchin this. A lovely bittersweet tale, poignant, funny, well acted by the two leads. Highly enjoyable

• Registered Users Posts: 43,907 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Submarine - just after watchin this. A lovely bittersweet tale, poignant, funny, well acted by the two leads. Highly enjoyable
    Been itching to see this... written and directed by Richard Ayaode (Moss from 'The IT Crowd').

• Registered Users Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

Basq wrote: »
    Been itching to see this... written and directed by Richard Ayaode (Moss from 'The IT Crowd').

If you get the chance, do try check it out. It's obviously not one you HAVE to see in the cinema, but i have to say, it brightened up my day. One of the best coming of age stories i've ever seen in ages. I'm looking forward to ayaodes next work already, he has serious talent as a director

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Shadow of a Doubt

I love this film. It's definitely in my top 5 favourite Hitchcock films. Cotton's tirade at the dinner table about widowed women being like animals is disturbing and brilliant.

Talk to Her

Beautiful film, probably Almodovar's best. So many significant moments in it happen off-screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

Gattaca - I'd heard numerous times over the years how good this was but only got around to watching it tonight. I have to say I was underwhelmed. It's a very good movie, but there's nothing special about it. Except maybe Uma Therman! :eek:
    It's interesting sci-fi. They've mapped the human genome in our lifetime; it's already possible to screen your foetus for certain major genetic illnesses. The questions the film asks are among the most important social implications of technology likely to arise in the near future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

Watched Kill Bill Vol 1 & 2 recently. Been a while since I've seen them. Still a great watch tho. Got that damn whistle stuck in my head now tho :)

Yeah great entertainment,love the big fight scene with Gogo yobari ......brilliant!.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

The Blind Side - A nice feel good movie for a Tuesday evening. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Great film Basq. Just saw it there about an hour ago. I recommend it, thoroughly.

Never heard about it but my mate chose it, so I went along. Gonna go see it again with the gf.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Gregsor

Just finished watching Invictus.

I felt it was disappointing disappointing. Perhaps it would have been wiser to use archive footage of the matches. Nowhere close to Eastwood at his best.

I have that film there to watch 6 months +,still haven't bothered.
    Would you believe one of my local towns still has the cinema display up outside it's shops,got to love the country life :pac:
    I might give up on it at this stage!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Cianan2

Just watched a film I had been wanting to see for a while, "The Next Three Days" starring Russell Crowe and Elizabeth Banks (shes yum!).

Brilliant acting. Great story, albeit some things slightly OTT, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. I thought it seemed very long, not that I am complaining, but I blame that on the fact that I decided to give up smoking yesterday and was itching for one throughout!! It didn't help that Liam Neeson's one scene in the film was with a smoke in his hand the entire time!

Can't give it a rating as of yet, though... The version I downloaded cut the very last 5 minutes out, so I don't know exactly what happens at the end :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,312 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

'Witness'

1985 Harrison Ford vehicle, that sees Ford making efforts to break away from the Han Solo/Indianna Jones persona that made him a household name. His character in 'Witness' is John Book, a Philadelphia cop, that is called in to investigate the murder of a man in a toilet at a train station. The only witness being Samuel (Lucas Haas), an 8 year old Amish boy, who makes a positive ID on one of the perps. When the boys life (and Books') is threatened, he must hide out within the Amish community that Samuel and his mother Rachel (Kelly McGillis) are from and avoid the attentions of the murderers.

Without giving too much away, there are no real surprises in Peter Weir's film. It plays out as a standard cop movie and everything has been done before...except for the Amish angle and that's where the charm of the film lies. 'Witness' is more an insight into culture clash, than a cop drama. There are no great twists and no real investigation, once the story moves to the Amish community. The focus for the majority of the film is on the developing relationship between John Book and Rachel.

Such a premise may sound somewhat boring, but 'Witness' actually remains interesting for the duration of its running time. It's interesting to see how a big city outsider interacts with such closed type of rural community, with each others ways being so alien to one another. However, at nearly two hours, 'Witness' can feel a little slow at times, but at the end of the film, the viewer doesn't feel like they've wasted much time. 'Witness' is nothing special and is as quiet in places as the Amish community at the centre of its story. But, it is somewhat unique in it's focus on the Amish, who by the way, were very unhappy with the film as they felt it did not reflect Amish values terribly well.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I like Witness, plus its got Karl from Die Hard in it :D and a young Viggo Mortensen

• Registered Users Posts: 19,312 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Yeh, its funny. I never realised that Mortensen was in his 50's! When he made Witness, he was in his mid 20's.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,999 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I saw the first two Addams Family films on TV in the last week: if I'd seen them before, it was too long ago to remember any details, but I'm glad I saw them. The casting is near-perfect, with Joan Cusack munching the scenery, and especially Christina Ricci as Wednesday Addams. There's a scene in Addams Family Values in which she smiles, at which point any sensible person should have been running for the hills. Instead ...
    Wednesday and her fellow "outcasts" turn a cheesy camp Thanksgiving play in to a revenge fantasy, burning down the "pilgrim village" on stage, humiliating the little princesses and their nose jobs
    . :cool:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Rope - a taut, exciting Hitchcock film. They clearly cheat on the whole one take thing - a few too many convenient zooms into clothing - but that doesn't take away from it. The single setting is a great strength and it doesn't overstay its welcome over a well paced and engaging hour and a quarter. Jimmy Stewart also gives an absolute powerhouse performance. Great stuff altogether.

Europa - strange, almost hypnotic Lars von Trier oddity. Some beautiful b&w photography with the occasional splash of initially seemingly random colour but certainly deliberate from the typically obtuse director. The story is surreal, and sometimes blackly comic. One of those films that it's hard to explain exactly what it's about, but somehow you feel as if it makes a weird sort of sense as the bold, propaganda inspired credits play. A haunting Max von Sydow narration hypnotises the protagonist, and it's hard for the viewer to look away too. Odd but beautiful cinema.

The Langoliers - Some of the worst effects imaginable couple with some horrific acting (and some good in fairness). But I still have a soft spot for this TV movie adaption of the Steven King novel. Loved it when I first seen it as a kid and this is the first time I've seen it since! I'd still recommend it to anyone who has 3 hours to spare. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

The best film I've watched recently was The Social Network. I thought it was pretty good.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 ZombieJesus9

Just finished my Spielberg extravaganza: Duel, ET, Jurassic Park 1&2, Close Encounters, Jaws, Munich, Empire of the Sun, Private Ryan, Minority Report, Raiders, Schindler's List and War of the worlds. Each one a masterpiece in it's own right.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,907 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Just finished my Spielberg extravaganza: Duel, ET, Jurassic Park 1&2, Close Encounters, Jaws, Munich, Empire of the Sun, Private Ryan, Minority Report, Raiders, Schindler's List and War of the worlds. Each one a masterpiece in it's own right.
    Whoa whoa whoa.. let's not go nuts! ;)

Remember the Titans - Pretty much the perfect sports movie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 ZombieJesus9

Whoa whoa whoa.. let's not go nuts! ;)

I knew someone would point that out, but that's your opinion. I love it, obviously nowhere near his old stuff but still great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭dr gonzo

Watched Fellowship of the ring for the first time in years... maybe since its cinema release in fact! wow that is a long time.

Anyway, still an absolute pleasure to watch, been feeling the stress a bit lately so the pure escapism was nice. Theres something about LoTR though that just make you want to watch them with other people, its quite a communal experience i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

Went to see two films today:

Battle:Los Angeles
    Great fun ,well worth a watch.It even brought a manly tear to my eye
    when the saved marines abseiled down from their rescue helicopter , to join Sgt Nantz on his final mission.

The Eagle
    Started out well and overall was a good film. I enjoyed it, but it did'nt work for me that
    the" seal tribe" would be the most fearsome tribe of them all and hold the eagle

Frailty - A decent directorial debut from Bill Paxton. I'd recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Scram

Been watching the first series of MacGuyver, used to love it when i was a kid so its realy weird to see it now.

Also watched some Mr Bean episodes from years ago, classic stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 644 ✭✭✭wolf moon

woody allen's "whatever works".
    i found it top class film.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭AwayWithFaries

Watched Rocky Balboa earlier. Not great really. Watchable but just seems like every other rocky movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

Just finished watching Clear and Present Danger

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Oh_Noes

Watched "Wise Blood" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wise_Blood_%28film%29
    on tv last week.

Stylistically it was quite interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

3:10 to Yuma

was on 5 tonight forgot how ****ing good it was

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement