Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Joe10000

irishh_bob wrote: »
    kick ass , one of the silliest movies ive ever seen and not all that great tbh considering what id heard

Watched it tonight and had not heard anything about it but as a disposable movie I really enjoyed it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 890 ✭✭✭CrinkElite

I just caught the end of Burn after Reading on ITV1. I'd seen it before.

Definitely recommend it if you haven't seen it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭budgemook

CrinkElite wrote: »
    I just caught the end of Burn after Reading on ITV1. I'd seen it before.

Definitely recommend it if you haven't seen it.

here we go again

i like it too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭citizenken

seen battle : los angelos last week loved it.
    last night watched repo men,nice twist at the end
    and last but not least, check out "four lions" a uk produced film about a group of would be jihadist's,, sad and funny, but a brilliant movie.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Scram wrote: »
    Been watching the first series of MacGuyver, used to love it when i was a kid so its realy weird to see it now.

random joke time:

Airport security staff: "Mr Maguyver, do you have anything in your suitcase that could be used as a weapon?"

MacGuyver : "ah sh1t"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Appleblossom42

The Girl Next Door (2007)
    Was recommended this, didn't bother looking it up online as presumed it was a Jennifer Aniston type movie. How wrong I was, this has to be one of the most disturbing movies I've seen in years. I'm not easily shocked I can easily watch gore, horror movies etc, I've become somewhat immune to them. This film however had me rigid & exhausted, the fact that it was based on a true story is what truly upset me. Found it very difficult to watch, at one stage near the end I was looking at it through my fingers and cried at the end. Truly shocking, left me pretty shook and angry I have to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,907 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Yeah.. I've been meaning to watch this.

But every time I see it mentioned, I can't help but think of the (under-rated) 2004 Cuthbert/Hirsch/Olyphant comedy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Funny Games, the original Austrian/German version. Far and away more sinister than the American reboot. While the two villains in the American version were a bit too smiley and sweetness while terrorising, the two boys in this version are the pure definition of sneering, purring menace.

While I enjoyed the American reboot, the original is far superior. An incredible piece of cinematic violent cinema.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

Basq wrote: »
    Yeah.. I've been meaning to watch this.

But every time I see it mentioned, I can't help but think of the (under-rated) 2004 Cuthbert/Hirsch/Olyphant comedy.
    I saw a trailer for that before a showing of The Passion of the Christ, in what may have been the worst placement of a trailer I've ever seen.

mikhail wrote: »
    I saw a trailer for that before a showing of The Passion of the Christ, in what may have been the worst placement of a trailer I've ever seen.

projectionist in the cinema had a sense of humour :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

All I'll say about this is that it's a horror movie and should be treated as such. The true story tagline is best forgotten about as it is very heavily fictionalised.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

The Killing. My gods, that was exceptional.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

The Big Lebowski. Never fails to put me in stitches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭blodvyn

old hippy wrote: »
    The Killing. My gods, that was exceptional.

Got a link, just wanna make sure I get the right one, or a brief synopsis would suffice.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Up-n-atom!

Just seen Benda Bilili today, totally amazing, everyone should see it. Could've easily been sentimental and schmaltzy but wasn't at all, and uplifting all the same.

Oh, and Submarine the other week - loved it, was refreshing and fun. The Wes Anderson comparisons are justified, but think this will be slightly less annoying for some people!

Watched the Back To The Future Trilogy on Blu-ray over the last couple of nights (a movie a night but extras on each disc normally spanned onto a second night).

It could possibly be the best remastering treatment for Blu-ray I've seen so far, but the 'Alien Anthology' is next. The movies look absolutely pristine - the one negative is that the rubber masks on Crispin Glover and Lea Thompson as George and Lorraine in 1985 look absolutely terrible.. every time they grimace or look downwards, you can see the creases and lines all too clearly. But at least they didn't try and fix them up artifically (George Lucas, I'm looking at you!).

The first film is still my favourite of the three.. the humour is still very fresh, the acting is superb, it's great fun and I love the music (can't beat a bit of Huey Lewis And The News. Quick fun fact - when Marty is playing his music up on stage in the band audition scene near the start.. his backup band is The News and the guy who tells him "his music is just too darn loud!" is Huey Lewis himself).

The second film is the one I'm most torn on.. as the first 15 minutes always felt very daft and hokey. Was nothing but silly preconceptions about the future - like the silly "Max Headroom" method of ordering in the diner. Yes, I know back in back in the late 80's.. they had no idea how life would be in 2015 but it seems to be nothing but silly nods. But the last hour with Marty interacting with the previous time travelling Marty is superb - that "inserted ladder" by the stage that Marty travels up which wasn't in 'Back To The Future' can be forgiven! :D

The third film is great popcorn fun.. it's probably got the most humour of the three. And although the Clara/Doc story is a bit tacked on, it's got some cracking scenes (the town fair scene with ZZ Top is great - "If you ain't here, I'll hunt you and shoot you down like a duck.") and I remember seeing it in the cinema and being absolutely enthralled by the final 10 minutes.

There are many great trilogies in history.. but 'Back To The Future' definitely sits firmly in the top 3 of mine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 McPlato

Just watched EXIT THROUGH THE GIFT SHOP. Didn't know what to expect of it but its dam good. I think the little you know about it beforehand, the better. Definatley the most original film ive seen in 2011!:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Just watched Louisiana purchase. I know no-one else has seen it but it was really bad. Not all old Hollywood movies are classics!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

Was recommended this, didn't bother looking it up online as presumed it was a Jennifer Aniston type movie. How wrong I was, this has to be one of the most disturbing movies I've seen in years. I'm not easily shocked I can easily watch gore, horror movies etc, I've become somewhat immune to them. This film however had me rigid & exhausted, the fact that it was based on a true story is what truly upset me. Found it very difficult to watch, at one stage near the end I was looking at it through my fingers and cried at the end. Truly shocking, left me pretty shook and angry I have to say.
    rofl. same here. err, i mean, i fcking see this image
    MV5BMTQ0ODIyMzE1N15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwODEwODczMw@@._V1._SY317_CR0,0,214,317_.jpg

in my mind when i read your post so i was thinking: 'HOLY sh!t, we have got an epic troll here!!!'

disappointed after i realised what you said was about a 2007 film :( but now i will prob watch that 2007 :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

Watched a german movie called ''Stalingrad'' last night. Its about the battle of stalingrad where over 1 million people died. out of the 91,000 german troops that were captured only 6000 returned to germany .

Its a must see movie but unlike saving private ryan this movie has no happy ending or heroism!!!.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Appleblossom42

seraphimvc wrote: »
    when i read your post so i was thinking: 'HOLY sh!t, we have got an epic troll here!!!'

disappointed after i realised what you said was about a 2007 film :( but now i will prob watch that 2007 :D

Haha! Don't know whether to take that as a compliment or an insult, I'll go for the former.:D

Had a Rec mini-marathon last night - watched the first and second film on Blu-ray.

Rec is still, without doubt, one of the more effective horrors in recent years IMO. It doesn't outstay it's welcome at a brisk 75 minute runtime, and the jumps come thick and fast. What I love about the film is that it doesn't rely on the "boo" method too often. Some of the most effective scenes are the lingering shots in the penthouse towards the end (not going to say anymore). But when there's a "boo" moment, they do tend to unleash a extended barrage of quick scary shots to the perspective of the camera.

Rec 2 is another kettle of fish entirely. I happily slated Rec 2 the first time I saw it but there is a lot to like in there. Don't get me wrong, it's got gaping flaws in there (
    the daft re-introduction of Angela, the silly-looking rocket death and the 20 minute interlude with bickering teenagers which ended up not really adding a whole lot to the movie
    ). But there are still some incredibly tense scenes in there. It's certainly a different sequel and while it wasn't as good as the original, it did bring something a little different to the table.

As horror franchises go, it's definitely one of the better ones. We'll just need to see how the two (yes, TWO) sequels (REC Apocalypse, and REC Genesis) turn out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Sucker Punch...It was eh ... weird .Hot girls though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭marwelie

The Flying Scotsman

bio pic about this bloke http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graeme_Obree

Starring Jonny Lee Miller as Obree, Laura Fraser as his wife Anne, Billy Boyd as Malky McGovern, Obree's manager and Brian Cox as Douglas Baxter, An ex-minister turned boatyard owner and Obree's confidant.

Its a triumph over adversary type movie. Takes a few liberties with the facts, it rattles along and is a good mix of sport and personal relationships.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I watched Yes Man on TV the other night. Very very funnyin parts. Proof that Jim Carrey can still pull off a good comedy when he's bothered.

Galvasean wrote: »
    I watched Yes Man on TV the other night. Very very funnyin parts. Proof that Jim Carrey can still pull off a good comedy when he's bothered.

I light a candle every night in hope that someone will convince him to make Ace Ventura 3 :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

Watched The Conversation, directed by Francis Ford Coppola with Gene Hackman playing the lead role. Harry Caul (Hackman), an expert in audio surveillance, is hired to record a conversation between a young man and woman, set to take place in a public location. He successfully documents the conversation, but becomes suspicious by the possibility that in handing over the tapes to his client, he might be putting the lives of the couple at risk.

I thought the film was excellent - tense occasionally, but very enjoyable, and raises a lot of important questions about the ethics of surveillance, a topical subject considering recent developments with privacy on the internet. Highly recommended :)

Source Code, not bad at all, more to it than the trailers give away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Anniemags

Anyone else really enjoying Boardwalk Empire on Sky Atlantic?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Anniemags wrote: »
    Anyone else really enjoying Boardwalk Empire on Sky Atlantic?
    Absolutely loved it. Have finished the season.
    Excellent show imo.
    This is a thread on films though:)

Nucky Thompson is excellent

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement