Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

Well there's always a first time :/

I only caught it last year too, no biggie.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭angie16ab

Law Abiding Citizen is good, so is Shutter Island, Harry Potter 7, Inception and Due Date is hilarious :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

I Recently seen oldboy for the first time couple days ago, brilliant film , great action scenes , funny and had a very good story . some of the scenes in the film were sick though. also one of the best fighting scenes i ever seen , i highly recommend anyone to see oldboy if you havent :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

I Recently seen oldboy for the first time couple days ago, brilliant film , great action scenes , funny and had a very good story . some of the scenes in the film were sick though. also one of the best fighting scenes i ever seen , i highly recommend anyone to see oldboy if you havent :)
    Be sure to check out the other 2 in the trilogy, all 3 are amazing and I happen to like Lady Vengeance the most. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,312 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

'American Graffiti'

George Lucas’s harking back to the days of his own youthful years in small town America remains a fascinating look at “cruising” and the American teen “Rock’n’Roll” lifestyles of the late 50’s/early 60’s. Set in the 1960’s, ‘American Graffiti’ is as much about the end of the 50’s as it is about the end of the teenagers school days and their excitement, trepidation and anticipation of the immediate future that awaits them.

Set over the course of a single night, the story focuses on four boys, each of whom was supposed to represent Lucas at different stages in the teen years. Curt (Richard Dreyfuss), Steve (Ron Howard), John (Paul Le Mat) and Terry (Charles Martin Smith) are all friends in the small town of Modesto, California (where Lucas grew up), whose individual stories intertwine throughout the film. Curt is in a dilemma about whether he should or shouldn’t head off to college in the morning, Steve is more interested in getting his leg over his girlfriend Laurie (Cindy Williams) before he goes off to college too, John is facing the fact the he his getting a little too old for his “hotrod king” image and spends the night accidentally cruising around town with a 12 year old teenybopper passenger and Terry, “The Toad”, who has always been unlucky with girls finds that he is in for a night of changes too.

The story, like all of Lucas’s stories, is very simple. But, it’s handled with great care and allows the viewer (even those who have never experienced 50’s America, like me) to become engrossed in the accounts of the young men and how they deal with the evening’s events. Because the story doesn’t include silly 50’s movies cliches, it becomes easier to believe that these people are real people and not some characters in a cheap “Rebel without a cause” knockoff. It’s also helped by the fact that 50’s vehicles and buildings are included in the film too. The Diner where the kids meet was re-opened just for the film (and demolished after it wrapped) and the charming 50’s cars on offer make all the difference. Shot in 1972, it must have been odd for the locals of the town where the film was shot (Petaluma) to see all these 50’s relics rolling up and down the strip, where some of them had 20 years before.

‘American Graffiti’ was a sleeper hit in 1973 when it was released, despite the fact that Lucas had incredible trouble trying to get funding for his film from several different studios. Universal actually wanted to release it as a TV move only. This would have proven to have been a huge mistake as the film went on to be one of the highest gross's ever, in terms of cost to profit. At a cost of about $1½ million to make and market, ‘American Graffiti’ went on to make over $200 million.

Unfortunately, it was also responsible for kick starting the truly awful ‘Happy days’, which marred television with unfunny comedy for the next 10 years.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

I was on a 12 hour flight recently and couldn't sleep so I watched Little Fockers.

It's muck, complete muck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

Tony EH wrote: »
    'American Graffiti'

George Lucas’s harking back to the days of his own youthful years in small town America remains a fascinating look at “cruising” and the American teen “Rock’n’Roll” lifestyles of the late 50’s/early 60’s. Set in the 1960’s, ‘American Graffiti’ is as much about the end of the 50’s as it is about the end of the teenagers school days and their excitement, trepidation and anticipation of the immediate future that awaits them.

Set over the course of a single night, the story focuses on four boys, each of whom was supposed to represent Lucas at different stages in the teen years. Curt (Richard Dreyfuss), Steve (Ron Howard), John (Paul Le Mat) and Terry (Charles Martin Smith) are all friends in the small town of Modesto, California (where Lucas grew up), whose individual stories intertwine throughout the film. Curt is in a dilemma about whether he should or shouldn’t head off to college in the morning, Steve is more interested in getting his leg over his girlfriend Laurie (Cindy Williams) before he goes off to college too, John is facing the fact the he his getting a little too old for his “hotrod king” image and spends the night accidentally cruising around town with a 12 year old teenybopper passenger and Terry, “The Toad”, who has always been unlucky with girls finds that he is in for a night of changes too.

The story, like all of Lucas’s stories, is very simple. But, it’s handled with great care and allows the viewer (even those who have never experienced 50’s America, like me) to become engrossed in the accounts of the young men and how they deal with the evening’s events. Because the story doesn’t include silly 50’s movies cliches, it becomes easier to believe that these people are real people and not some characters in a cheap “Rebel without a cause” knockoff. It’s also helped by the fact that 50’s vehicles and buildings are included in the film too. The Diner where the kids meet was re-opened just for the film (and demolished after it wrapped) and the charming 50’s cars on offer make all the difference. Shot in 1972, it must have been odd for the locals of the town where the film was shot (Petaluma) to see all these 50’s relics rolling up and down the strip, where some of them had 20 years before.

‘American Graffiti’ was a sleeper hit in 1973 when it was released, despite the fact that Lucas had incredible trouble trying to get funding for his film from several different studios. Universal actually wanted to release it as a TV move only. This would have proven to have been a huge mistake as the film went on to be one of the highest gross's ever, in terms of cost to profit. At a cost of about $1½ million to make and market, ‘American Graffiti’ went on to make over $200 million.

Unfortunately, it was also responsible for kick starting the truly awful ‘Happy days’, which marred television with unfunny comedy for the next 10 years.

if american grafitti had made over 200 million in 1973 , it would have been the most successfull movie ever made at the time , something wrong there

• Registered Users Posts: 43,907 ✭✭✭✭Basq

You're missing the crucial "went on to make 200 million"..

That's from 1973 to now including both box office gross and home video sales.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Dreamer21

City of Angels...great film

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Arachnophobia, fun little movie. Love me some small town B movie shenanigans.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

Basq wrote: »

still seems too high a figure for what was a small little movie and still would be were it not for the fact that the director made a move about a galaxy far far away

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

The King of Kong: A Fistful of Quarters - Geeky documentary as recommended by Film School Rejects list of the 30 Best Films of the Decade.
    There are geek films, there are films about geeks, and then there are both. Yet the existence of King of Kong works in a way that transcends all of these geek themes, rising above to be a documentary about something geeky, made for geeky people, that also plays like an epic battle of good and evil, fit for an audience of everyone. Instead of making a doc about playing video games, director Seth Gordon gave us the essential modern-day David and Goliath story, filled with laughs and tears and every emotion in-between. -NM

As a geek I found it cringeworthy because of the stereotypes (mullets, dodgy taches and acne everywhere) but intriguing because of the story behind it. Would recommend it to anyone - not just gamers.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

The Lady from Shanghai

Rita Hayworth and Orson Welles in a very convoluted murder plot. And who can forget that ridiculous Irish accent?

It has some brilliant location work and I love the ending, but studio interference magnified its shortcomings. Another case of what might have been had Welles been left alone. A flawed but excellent film.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭Cookie33

Life as we know it - typical romcom but enjoyable
    The kids are alright - couldn't take anymore after 30mins.. just awful

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

The Best and the Brightest

It was alright I suppose, nothing ground shaking or life changing in it. I was like a moderately good episode of Frasier, but longer. :)

Amy Sedaris is morphing into Tracey Ullman! Peter Serafinowicz' was good in it (but he always is). Overall I felt I had seen the characters a million times before. I'd recommend it if you're stuck for something to watch, don't go out of your way!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

krudler wrote: »
    Arachnophobia, fun little movie. Love me some small town B movie shenanigans.

Give Slither a go. Similar, but gorier (sp?)

Watched I Am Number Four last night. Enjoyable enough. Didn't go into it expecting too much and got a little more out of it.

It was actually a lot slower than I was expecting, with all the expected action only taking place in the last 20-25 minutes.

If you want to pass the evening by, I would give it a watch. 7/10

• Registered Users Posts: 19,312 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Basq wrote: »

Yep, Basq has it right. Sorry, I should have included the fact that that figure is from the 90's for all cinema and video sales.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭fish fingers

Cookie33 wrote: »
    Life as we know it - typical romcom but enjoyable
    The kids are alright - couldn't take anymore after 30mins.. just awful

Jesus, you got further than me. Awful sh1te.

Otacon wrote: »
    Give Slither a go. Similar, but gorier (sp?)

Slither is awesome, love movies like that, Tremors, Pirahna 3D, Lake Placid, anything with small towns being overrun with something are always worth a watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Watched Tamara Drewe and Eagle Eye last night two really bad films. Avoid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

Wasn't mad about Tamara Drewe but it had its moments. Maybe the teenagers talking 'dirty' brought it to an unusual and sometimes uncomfortable level but there's enough awkward, good humour to keep me entertained. Some of the characters agendas still confuse me, most notably Tamara's. Maybe that's its weakest point.

Anyway, I think you're being a little harsh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

just finished watching How to Train Your Dragon

Brilliant film!!! Really mad me laugh, loved the characters, and really lovely score too.

Watch it!!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,418 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Scream, after recording it off t'Beeb the other night. Didn't see it back in the day so this was my first viewing.

I wasn't sure what to expect because of the countless rip offs and parodies that followed, but I was struck by the ironic self-awareness shtick. But yeah, it was a bit...I don't know what the word is. Deliberately crafted into it, but not overly annoying.
    The ineffective school principal, the Murder, She Wrote type police, false clues thrown into the audience's lap and so forth. Wasn't sure about the curfew, but I think it worked in terms of forcing the whole town to feel even more isolated. The body count was fairly high, but not extreme or excessive, imo.
    At one point, I could have sworn Campbell's hair was dark brown, then in the next scene, it seemed really dark brown or even black. May have just been the lighting. Odd because I was listening to a Kermode post on the train home yesterday and he mentioned (Exorcist referenced, naturally) that sometimes deliberate mistakes are thrown in to see if the audience are buying it. I can imagine it test screened fairly well at the time and I can see why there was a bit of a craze about it. It went a bit bananas in the last 20-30 minutes so that brought it down a notch or two for me.

As for 4, should we expect kids with iPads now?

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭Cookie33

Gulliver's Travels - typical Jack Black movie, enjoyable but prob wont watch again

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Watched the restored cut of Touch of Evil last night. Didn't notice any differences from the original cut, but it's ages since I watched it. It's a great film. So dark and twisted. I always preferred it to that other film that Welles directed.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Corcs001

Watched The Girl With The Dragon Tattooo after finishing the book. Millenium didn't seem to play that big of a part in the film compared with the book which I thought was a bit odd seeing as the trilogy is called Millenium. Still a very good film. The
    rape
    scene is quite uncomfortable to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

The Lady from Shanghai

Rita Hayworth and Orson Welles in a very convoluted murder plot. And who can forget that ridiculous Irish accent?

It has some brilliant location work and I love the ending, but studio interference magnified its shortcomings. Another case of what might have been had Welles been left alone. A flawed but excellent film.

Have you seen his later work? He was left alone eventually, but sadly that meant he had to go it alone with the marketing as well.

I would probably rank The Trial and Chimes at Midnight above Kane in terms of my subjective opinion of them, though obviously they weren't as revolutionary. Welles himself described The Trial as his best film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭Magic Eight Ball

Shop Girl
    It was on tv lastnight. Forgot how great this little gem was.

Scre4m, thouht it was very very meh, few funny lines and moments but someone needs to tell Kevin Williamson its not the 90s anymore

• Advertisement

Have you seen his later work? He was left alone eventually, but sadly that meant he had to go it alone with the marketing as well.

I would probably rank The Trial and Chimes at Midnight above Kane in terms of my subjective opinion of them, though obviously they weren't as revolutionary. Welles himself described The Trial as his best film.
    I'm not entirely sure, but I don't think I've seen any of his post-Touch of Evil films. Definitely going to get around to them at some point though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement