Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭ValJester

220px-PlayItAgainSam-Poster.jpg
    Normally a big fan of Woody Allen, but this just falls flat. It feels like reading the first draft of Annie Hall, whereupon all the characters are Woody Allen talking to Woody Allen and the jokes feel like the Bananas-era Woody trying to remake Annie Hall.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,040 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Let the right one in...

it'a very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,779 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Out of The Blue - A very well directed film. You'll see what i mean if you watch it.
    Resurrection - Ellen Burstyn is very good in this unheralded gem
    Sleeping Dogs - a very good political thriller
    My Brilliant Career - You have to feel for Sam Neil's character in this one:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

Apocalypto - what a film!

anybody else see it a few night back on bbc2 ?

(utube some clips , (not the trailer )

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Apocalypto - what a film!

anybody else see it a few night back on bbc2 ?

(utube some clips , (not the trailer )
    Have it on bluray. Fantastic film. You would never have guess Mel Gibson directed it. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

À l'intérieur - Don't know what to make of it to be honest..
    Absolute bloodfest... to the extreme.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

Timecrimes. Intriguing Primer-eske Spanish time-travel tale. Bit predictable at times but I thoroughly enjoyed it nonetheless. Hadn't seen a real new science fiction movie for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

Ace in the Hole starring Kirk Douglas and directed by Billy Wilder. Its about a newspaper man who keeps a man trapped in a mine on purpose so he can grab more of the headlines. A fantastic film on Tabloid journalism and rotten journalists. A really bitter film. Also known as the Big Carnival I think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbbBLPy-Cbc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mackman

The Lost World: Jurassic Park - Ive always liked this movie. Not as good as the first one, but still very enjoyable with a great cast. Way better than the abomination that was the third one

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Mackman wrote: »
    The Lost World: Jurassic Park - Ive always liked this movie. Not as good as the first one, but still very enjoyable with a great cast. Way better than the abomination that was the third one

What ruins The Lost World for me is the stupidity of most of the characters, Julianne Moore gives us a speech about how T-Rexes are good parents and can smell their child from miles away, then proceeds to wander around wearing a jacket covered in baby Rex blood and wanders why the parents arrive later.

or the guy on a dinosaur infested island who sits with his back to the jungle listening to headphones, moron!

then the guy who gets separated from the group and calls out to no avail, nobody can hear him, yet hes doesnt think ONCE to fire the massive assault rifle he has in his hands to attract attenion?

no wonder they all got fcuking eaten.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

My main problem with The Lost World is the tacked on ending. I wish they had stuck to the original script. But no, Godzilla was coming out and Spielberg had to try and outdo it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mackman

krudler wrote: »
    What ruins The Lost World for me is the stupidity of most of the characters, Julianne Moore gives us a speech about how T-Rexes are good parents and can smell their child from miles away, then proceeds to wander around wearing a jacket covered in baby Rex blood and wanders why the parents arrive later.

or the guy on a dinosaur infested island who sits with his back to the jungle listening to headphones, moron!

then the guy who gets separated from the group and calls out to no avail, nobody can hear him, yet hes doesnt think ONCE to fire the massive assault rifle he has in his hands to attract attenion?

no wonder they all got fcuking eaten.

Ah see, there's your problem. you were thinking too much while watching it ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭Magic Eight Ball

I had a day off work sooooo.....

- Planet of the Apes
    - Beneath the Planet of the Apes
    - Escape from the Planet of the Apes
    - Conquest of the Planet of the Apes
    - Battle for the Planet of the Apes

I think I broke myself. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Harrocks

Watched Planet of the apes on Film4 last night great movie the 1968 original i mean.Get your stinking paws off me you filthy apes,Great line delivered with venom by Heston.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

After not having watched it for two years: "The Big Lebowski" for the fifteenth time. What an hilarious fantastic sublime piece of escapism - may they never make a sequel so as to preserve its purity - "Nobody fŭcks with the Jesus!" classic!!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,312 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

- Planet of the Apes

Jaysis...........good man!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭skeleton_boy

I'm the worst for watching films so I've gone and made myself a list (over 400 movies) and begun a long journey

- Schindler's List - Some really tough scenes but overall a fantastic and inspiring movie.

- The Departed - Right up there with the coolest movies I've ever seen. Jack Nicholson & Mark Wahlberg are fantastic in what is a superb cast.

- Inception - Good watch but nothing spectacular I felt.

- The Hangover - I feel like I must be one of the last people in the world to watch this movie, but the wait (nor the hype) didn't make this less of an enjoyable watch. Certainly makes my top 5 comedy movies.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

400? Should have it done by the end of the year easy :) Is it something like the IMDB top 250 + other bits and pieces?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭TechnoPool

Into the wild on recommendation from a friend

was blown away

awesome movie from sean penn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,162 ✭✭✭Kiva.D

I'm a movie lightweight... Mostly chick flicks for me :o

I watched Wedding Date last night... :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

- Planet of the Apes

Awesome! When I was a kid, I used to watch the telly series and the animated series and read the marvel comics. Loved that whole concept.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭Magic Eight Ball

I picked up the complete TV series from HMV for only 12euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭skeleton_boy

Renn wrote: »
    400? Should have it done by the end of the year easy :) Is it something like the IMDB top 250 + other bits and pieces?

All depending on what kinda summer I want to have :pac:

It started off with a mix of that and afi top 100. Then I added by genre using the imdb website to make the list.

I've since watched The Fighter. Gets full marks from me. I can see this being on I'd watch over and over again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Spies - silent German film. No classic but one of the first films to use the violent clown character which was used later by Hitchcock/James Bond/countless horror movies.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Max Payne - I watched this with low expectations. It wasn't great but I was pleasantly surprised with some aspects. I thought the picture was fantastic, very dark and broody with some great shots. The snowy cityscapes worked to the mood well. Also, it's silly fun with some good action scenes although these scenes are sadly rife with inaccuracies. The lead, Wahlberg's pretty glum but that's the character I guess. Also, seeing Mila Kunis with an MP5K was a pretty sight. All in all, good fun, nothing special and probably leaning on the 'poor' side.

Hunger - it's out a while now but this is very special. A harrowing film that's terribly difficult to watch but it's a necessary viewing to undersand the 1981 Maze hunger strike in Northern Ireland. Excellent all round that lingers a little but this is a little point. Micheal Fassbender is superb. It's a storming performance from him.

'Garage'

Pat Short stars as Josie, a somewhat dimwitted garage attendant, who struggles to exist in a lonely life in a small town in rural Ireland. While most are ok to him, some are openly hostile and ridicule him with vicious tongues. Josie takes this in his stride though for the most part, content with his day to day chores at the Garage and his time down the pub.

Things change for Josie, though, when he's asked to look after David, an "assistant" to him at the petrol station. Over time, Josie and David form a bond, mainly through alcohol. Things take a turn for the worse, though and soon Josie's world is turned on its head.

While not as good as the Director/scriptwriter's previous effort, 'Adam and Paul', 'Garage' is still one of the better Irish films produced in a long time. It's a quiet, slow moving film for the most part, but it is always interesting, with a great central performance by Pat Short. But, like 'Adam and Paul', the subject matter is terribly sad and displays are real glum outlook. Director, Lenny Abrahamson and scriptwriter Mark O'Halloran, certainly wouldn't win any Bord Fáilte brownie points, but 'Garage' (like 'Adam and Paul') is well worth watching.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

French Connection 11 (2).

John Frankenheimer was possibly the most "european" of American directors and this 1975 follow up the the 1971 film cuts no slack for either the chief protagonist Popeye Doyle or the viewer as we are thrown headlong into the underworld world of Marsielle and its particular Franco-Arabian culture. Doyle is even less charming than when in New York but Hackmans performance as he attempts to chat up girls, get a drink and later succums to heroin and the recovery from same is top draw. Doyle has contempt for just about everything thats not New York, pleading for burgers and Hershey bars as he turns his nose up at the local grub. We should hate him for his borish ways but he's just a lost soul clinging to what he knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Appleblossom42

Watched Zonad, so bad! :eek:

'Brannigan'

Pretty awful 1975 John Wayne cop drama, riding on the coat-tails of the pretty decent 'McQ' and the excellent 'Dirty Harry' (which Wayne turned down). Wayne plays the eponymous Jim Brannigan, a tough Irish cop from Chicago, who is sent to London to extradite a wanted mob man, Ben Larkin (John Vernon).

Sounds like it should be fun, eh? But, no. Right from the off, the "fish out of water" angle is played and straight talking Brannigan gets into all sorts of faux pa's with those terribly stuffy Brits. One of whom, Sir Something or other (Richard Attenborough), happens to be a "commander" in Scotland Yard. Brannigan finds out that those British fools have lost Larkin (he's been kidnapped for ransom) and he has to go get him back.

While it's not completely rubbish, it starts to lose it's welcome around the 45 minute mark. The set up is fine and the "stranger in a strange land" confrontations are humorous too. But, unfortunately 'Brannigan' runs out of ideas, epitomised by a truly nonsensical London pub brawl, ripped right out of one of Waynes westerns.

The acting is fine, with "The Duke" simply being "The Duke" and Veron and Attenborough playing pretty much themselves too. Judy Geeson is assigned to help Brannigan in the case, but she's not really given much to do and Mel Ferrer, who carved out a whole career playing "suits", does the same here.

In it's favour, there are some great 70's London shots and at times the action is good, although the un-necessary Hitman subplot could have been dropped. But on the whole it just lets itself down and runs out of steam.

Look out for a cameo by Baldrick from Blackadder, as a motorcycle currier!

• Advertisement

'Coogan's Bluff'

Clint Eastwood plays Coogan, a tough Arizona cop who is assigned to go to New York, to extradite a no good criminal (Don Stroud), who's wanted for trial.

I'm getting a sense of de Ja Vu here.

Anyway, essentially what we have here is Eastwood playing Dirty Harry (or Clint Eastwood), even though 'Coogan's Bluff' was made three years before 'Dirty Harry' and Coogan is from Arizona (not San Francisco) and the action is set in New York. But, you get my drift.

Eastwood grunts his way through another grouchy hero role as he tracks down his man, through fist fights, shoot out's and a hilarious 60's hippie night club called the "Pigeon Toed Orange Peel".

Don Siegel, director of 'Dirty Harry', handles things in a very straightforward manner here. There's nothing really out of the ordinary and it all feels like well trodden turf, even for 1968. Eastwood is Eastwood and his New York "boss", Lee J. Cobb, is Lee J. Cobb, which I suppose is fine for the sort of fare that's on offer.

Nothing amazing, but worth a watch. However, the "Texas" thing gets old real quick.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement