Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭Cookie33

Smokin Aces - mindless violence but very intriguing! The ending of the movie was brilliant and in my opinion made me like the movie.. without it, meh

• Registered Users Posts: 6,183 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Finally got around to watching LA Confidential in full tonight on RTE. Brilliant brilliant brilliant!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Finally got around to watching LA Confidential in full tonight on RTE. Brilliant brilliant brilliant!
    Did you not think the ending ruined it? It's a good film, but anytime I watch it I just want to switch off during the last 10 minutes and pretend it ends after the shootout. It completely self-destructs.

Did you not think the ending ruined it? It's a good film, but anytime I watch it I just want to switch off during the last 10 minutes and pretend it ends after the shootout. It completely self-destructs.

Ok, it wasn't ideal but it didn't ruin it for me anyway. Maybe it was because I just watched The Rite which had the laziest, abrupt, hollywood ending I've ever seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭skeleton_boy

Office Space - Few giggles but no real laughs. Very ordinary. Had strong reviews, must have something to do with American humor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

Office Space - Few giggles but no real laughs. Very ordinary. Had strong reviews, must have something to do with American humor.

No way, that's one of my favourite comedies of all time :eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Watched Jackass 3d and it was hilarious, watched both Alien Vs Predator movies and they were so so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭chickenbutt

Had a Lethal Weapon marathon yesterday followed by Run Fat Boy Run.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

watched the Last of the Mohicans - again.

love that film!

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Appleblossom42

Insidious. Wasn't expecting much but it was surprisingly good, would rate it 7/10.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,312 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

'The Spy Who Came in From the Cold'

Richard Burton and Claire Bloom star in what's most likely, the best British spy film ever made. Possibly the best depiction of the "Cold War" too.

There no nonsense of the likes of which you will find in 'The Manchurian Candidate' or other American takes on the subject. Here, you will see dubious characters on both sides doing dirty deeds, with more twists and turns than a rollercoaster ride.

Everyone's on top form too, with a great and somewhat nasty turn from Burton. He's supported well by a creepy Cyril Cusack as "Control", an excellent Osker Werner, as the Jewish Communist interrogator Fiedler and quietly calm performance from Peter van Eyck as the ex-nazi Mundt.

It would be difficult to go into too much detail on the story, as doing so would give stuff away, but the basic premise is that Burton's lack of success in Germany has led to his being demoted back in Britain. Communist Party members get a hold of this information and seek him out as a possible defector, but like in all good "Cold War" yarns, nothing is as it seems.

Below is a pretty awful tailer. Sorry, it was the only one I could find.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Watched The Mechanic,standard Jason Statham action flick.I enjoy his movies for simple no nonsense action.
    Ideal for a bank holiday movie.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

After not having watched it for two years: "The Big Lebowski" for the fifteenth time. What an hilarious fantastic sublime piece of escapism - may they never make a sequel so as to preserve its purity - "Nobody fŭcks with the Jesus!" classic!!

i so wanted to like that movie after all i heard about it.it was absolute rubbish.i dont know what people see in it.a few laughs but they are few and far between.

INSIDIOUS

a very good horror movie.that for once doesnt rely on gore.a tiny bit far fetched in places but overall a good well made movie.

THE MAN FROM NOWHERE

you could call it the korean "TAKEN" but its great.the lead guy in it is excellent wherever he came from.very good movie.

THE WAY BACK

its ok.bit long but its not a bad movie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

I finally got around to watching District 9 at the weekend

Thought it was excellent and loved the mannerisms and reactions of the Prawn characters to what was going on

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Double bill last night.

Howl's Moving Castle: Was never of fond of this as some others when I saw it in the cinema when it was released. Think it may have been because I saw the English dub. Finally watched with subs last night. Very much a Miyazaki film - full of surreal imagery (blob creatures!), comic relief sidekicks, flying machines, ambiguous and unpredictable protagonists / antagonists. Kind of a mix between Spirited Away and Kiki's Delivery Service. Wouldn't say its his best film - the third act particularly is very messy at times. But I'm much more favourable towards it than I was first time around. The animation is wonderful, full of little quirks (like the kid Markl who pulls on an old man's beard everytime he answers the door) and lush hand-drawn environments. Based on a book, its European setting isn't quite as memorable as the bathhouse of Spirited Away, and it isn't as emotionally engaging as My Neighbour Totoro, but there are riches a plenty here.

The Wicker Man: Huh. Had always heard this one was odd, nothing quite prepared me for it though :pac: One of the most unusual films I've ever seen - musical, erotic thriller, horror film: all with a very surreal British edge. I wouldn't consider it particularly scary bar some freaky moments, but it is uniquely watchable. Super camp performances (but without descending into the laughable silliness of the remake - no bees here!) from the likes of Christopher Lee and Edward Woodward, but it's a strangely haunting film too as it enters it's uncomfortably intense final stretch. Ain't nothing like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Batman Begins: My first DVD copy became warped due to it being watched more times than I care to remember and it's been about 3 years (hours before going to see TDK) since i've last watched it. Brilliant performances from the cast, lighting suits the grim, gritty Gotham and the tone of the movie. The score from Zimmer and Newton-Howard is also quite excellent. One problem I've always had with the film is that it doesn't delve as deep as it could or probably should have into Bruce Wayne's damaged mind due to his parents being killed, but I guess at a runtime of 2 hours 20 minutes it would most certainly bring it towards the 3 hour mark in order for it to be told in the correct way.

Looking forward to chucking in TDK tonight :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

The Village - well isn't this movie completely and utterly retarded? If it wasn't for the absolutely stunningly beautiful Bryce Dallas Howard I probably would have turned off.

King of the Kickboxers - It's amazing just how low a child's standards actually are, I loved this as a kid but it is one of the worst movies you will ever see and has quite literally the worst acting imaginable. I'd recommend it just for the laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭McGrath5

W. - watched this last night, great flick. Josh Brolin plays the part of Bush jr. very well. It's very thought provoking as to how to whole war in Iraq came about. Well worth the watch IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Started watching The Dark Knight on tv3 on sunday. Had seen it when it came out in the cinema, thought it was a poor to be honest, way over praised and over hyped(The Prestige is infinitely better). Anyway decided to give it another try as sometimes on second viewing films improve. But no, was even worse than first time round so I turned over to find LA Confidential on RTE. Havent seen it in ages and wow, what a film. Puts the Dark Knight to shame in terms of shear class.
    Great film, pretty much flawless and gets better with subsequent viewings.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭eugeneious

tunguska wrote: »
    Started watching The Dark Knight on tv3 on sunday. Had seen it when it came out in the cinema, thought it was a poor to be honest, way over praised and over hyped(The Prestige is infinitely better). Anyway decided to give it another try as sometimes on second viewing films improve. But no, was even worse than first time round so I turned over to find LA Confidential on RTE. Havent seen it in ages and wow, what a film. Puts the Dark Knight to shame in terms of shear class.

:eek: :eek:

• Advertisement

'The Third Man'
    Carol Reed's famous and frankly hideously over-rated classic from 1949 stars Joseph Cotten as Holly Martins, an American two bit Western novelist, who has gone to war torn Vienna to find his old friend Harry Lime (Orson Welles) as he has offered him the chance of some work. Unfortunately, Martins finds out that Lime has been killed in a hit and run. Through asking around and the inquires of the British occupying forces' Military Police, Martins finds out more than he wishes to, about his dead friend.

There's much to like about 'The Third Man', but for the life of me, I'm at a loss to understand why it's considered so highly as it is. There's not an awful lot going on in it, to be honest. It's depiction of post-war Vienna is quite well done, but because it was shot in Vienna in 1948, that wouldn't be very hard, would it? The cast is well formed and everyone does their best, but the story isn't that engaging. The "twist" is seen from a mile off, even for contemporary audiences and once that reveal is delivered, the picture sort of drones on.

Speaking of "droning on", the much celebrated music that accompanies the film VERY QUICKLY gets terribly irritating. Produced on a zither only, it has great touches in certain places, but intrudes awfully in others.

On the plus side, it's quite well shot and directed with realistic touch that sets it aside from a lot of films from that period and although the rumor that Welles had more to do with the direction than Reed did is false, Reed was certainly a "student" somewhat of Welles's technique. There is also some great dialogue in the film, including the "cookoo clock" monologue and Trevor Howard has some great "irritated" moments concerning his sir name, "It's Calloway (not Callahan)...I'm English, not Irish."

Often hailed as a "Masterpiece" of cinema, I must confess, I am often left wondering why.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

both are great but was it me or was thier something up with the sound through the dark knight on tv 3 , was as if they took out the thumping base soundtrack which is prevalent throughout the entire move , maybe my tv is acting up:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Watched Field of Dreams again this morning, first time in a few years. A great, upbeat, feel-good, moving film, cheesy but absolutely brilliant. James Earl Jones is good and Amy Madigan is terrific. Costner was pure gold for a few years.

"I experienced the 60's"
    "No, I think you had two 50's and went right onto the 70's".

Actually, might watch it again now!!!

Finally someone else on boards who thinks TDK was pants. :)

Oh and I caught LA Confidential the other night too. A modern Classic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭budgemook

Finally someone else on boards who thinks TDK was pants. :)

Oh and I caught LA Confidential the other night too. A modern Classic.

I also didn't like it much. Too much whispering and Christian Bale in general. Joker was cool but built up way too much.

Watched the Straight Story a couple of nights ago after seeing it recommended here. It was grand, had some decent points to make but they were a bit obvious and cheesey. Typical tale of triumph over adversity, sibling rivalry etc. Was in no way choked up as previous poster was. Still, a watchable film and good to see a David Lynch film that I can fully understand.

Not that pushed on the new Batman films meself either.

Bale's "Batman voice" is really stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Tony EH wrote: »
    Not that pushed on the new Batman films meself either.

Bale's "Batman voice" is really stupid.

Agreed re: Bale's voice. It's not that distracting in Batman Begins but can be quite annoying in TDK, which I've just finished watching...

The one thing I always say after watching this, and have said since day one of TDK's release is that Aaron Eckhart's performance is better than that of Heath Ledger's. Personally for me I think it is anyway. Harvey Dent/Two-Face is also a more interesting character as he is a man who lives by and has certain morals and beliefs, begins to turn and the moral line of good and bad becomes distorted as he sees the increase in death and destruction around him and he cannot do anything (legally) about it. Not to take anything away from Heath Ledger's performance of course as he made me completely forget about Jack Nicholson's interpretation while watching the film. I just feel that the Joker character was a bit rushed throughout the film and it really is a pity that Ledger passed away as I feel that he and the Joker could've added something extra in the 3rd.

The film itself is not perfect. The script again, like Begins, tries to do too much and tell too many stories. It gives the feeling of being 'jammed' together for want of a better word. I love the score. I can't say it any other way. The combination of the dark (Joker) and the elegant (Dent) are seamless throughout the film.

All in all I enjoyed TDK as I'm a big Batman fan, have been since I first saw Tim Burton's version when I was 5. There are flaws I admit, but it is still a great watch as we are finally introduced to the Joker after the fantastic set-up in the final scenes of Batman Begins. As the saying goes, every great hero needs a great villain.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

I watched Jodie Foster in The Brave One. It's my second time seeing it and it's still quite good. I raved about it the first time around but this time it feels like nothing special. However it was good to see the vigilante theme explored and Foster put in a good performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Watched Jennifer's Body. Terrible film. Why oh why did I let my mates convince me to watch it. Promises of a lesbian scene involving Megan Fox turned to disappointment when it just didnt materialise.

Then I watched Ronin. What a film. Love it, except the terrible Irish accents.

I said to my friend when watching it, "I love the way that
    they dont tell you what's in the box
    . Some people go mad and think the film is crap
    when they aren't told what's in the box"
    He replies with " What are you talking about? There's
    Ice Skates
    in the box"
    Facepalm.
    All that, for fecking
    Ice Skates
    !! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon.

Great take on a good ol' slasher flick. The lead is funny and freaky in parts and I'm sure you'll see the twist coming a mile away, but it still excites.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement