Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently?

Options

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Watched Jennifer's Body. Terrible film. Why oh why did I let my mates convince me to watch it. Promises of a lesbian scene involving Megan Fox turned to disappointment when it just didnt materialise.

Then I watched Ronin. What a film. Love it, except the terrible Irish accents.

I said to my friend when watching it,
    "I love the way that they dont tell you what's in the box. Some people go mad and think the film is crap when they aren't told what's in the box"
    He replies with " What are you talking about? There's
    Ice Skates
    in the box"
    Facepalm.
    All that, for fecking
    Ice Skates
    !! :pac:

I love your use of spoliers here - not one where there really should be one, and ones where they probably weren't required.

Added in the extra one that really, really should be in your original post.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

I love your use of spoliers here - not one where there really should be one, and ones where they probably weren't required.

Added in the extra one that really, really should be in your original post.
    Edited. Thanks (to Johnny Ultimate too).
    That really was a pretty big spoiler. Sorry about that!:o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭tim_holsters

Ingmar Bergman's Cries And Whispers. It's the 3rd one of his I've watched along with The Seventh Seal and Wild Strawberries. CAW is good, but I preferred the other two especially Wild Strawberries, I really adored that one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭Magic Eight Ball

Tombstone
    And yes, it still rocks! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

Changeling.

Horrific story, but I liked the way it was told. It could so easily have focused almost entirely on the murders to make it into more of a slasher thriller, but instead it focused on Christine Collins and her story. And in fact, the Wineville dimension had a lot more impact I think because it was only part of the story, rather than the whole story.

Difficult film to watch, but worth it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Ingmar Bergman's Cries And Whispers. It's the 3rd one of his I've watched along with The Seventh Seal and Wild Strawberries. CAW is good, but I preferred the other two especially Wild Strawberries, I really adored that one.

Persona is the true mind blowing Bergman film, get your hands on that if you can! You've seen three of his bests, but there's a small tonne of masterworks from the man. The Silence of God trilogy, Saraband, Fanny & Alexander etc... Definitely the filmography I'd recommend exploring in depth :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Taste/Scream of fear - impressive Hammer film about a woman in a wheelchair who keeps seeing her dead dad. Much better than the sh*te that's out these days!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

Frankenhooker - random choice when buying, v cheesy but a cool 80s version of RHPS tbh, v funny in parts,

romance and cigarettes - pretty cool movie, a v real (yet musical) take on the usual breakup story! quite funny in parts, and kate wineslet looks great, but not as good as titanic

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭tim_holsters

Persona is the true mind blowing Bergman film, get your hands on that if you can! You've seen three of his bests, but there's a small tonne of masterworks from the man. The Silence of God trilogy, Saraband, Fanny & Alexander etc... Definitely the filmography I'd recommend exploring in depth :)

Righto, I'm aware of Persona and Fanny and Alexander but not the others you've mentioned. I'll do my best to source them without buying them which could be difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

Soldier of Orange
    Directed by Paul Verhoeven.Not as good as Black Book ,but still well worth watching.Rutger Hauer and Jerome Krabbe are in top form in this film.

This film depicts World War II through the eyes of several Dutch students. It follows them through the beginning of the war, the Nazi occupation and the liberation.

Ichi
    I liked this alot.Nice story with some great fight scenes.The Female Zatochi............
    Ichi is a blind woman who roams about town with her shamisen (a three-stringed Japanese guitar), but she has exceptional sword skills with which she fights off yakuza and other villains.

Let the Right one In.
    Nice take on the Vampire story.Enjoyed watching it.
    Oscar, an overlooked and bullied boy, finds love and revenge through Eli, a beautiful but peculiar girl who turns out to be a vampire.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Sraw

Recently watched Boy. I enjoyed it, quiet a funny film. Would recommend taking a look.
    Also got around to seeing The Horde. A entertaining enough French zombie movie.
    Watched Zatoichi again, such a great film. Love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭emrys

Recently watched as far as my feet will carry me - German pow escapes the Gulags and attempts to walk back to Germany - based on a true story - great movie!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

Animal Kingdom.
    excellent

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Unusual to see this thread slip to the second page of the Film forum. I watched The Truman Show last night. Brilliantly enjoyable with a very intelligent idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭PandyAndy

Watched ' This Film is not yet Rated' last night. It's about the MPAA and their ratings system and how the majority of filmmakers/director et al are at odds when the MPAA rate their films. Worth the watch if you're into film making.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0493459/

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭PandyAndy

Tony EH wrote: »
    'The Spy Who Came in From the Cold' ...<snip>...

Looks good. Will give it a watch at some point.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Wings of Desire - took me a while to get into this, didn't quite 'get' what it was trying to do in it's almost narrativeless first half hour. But slowly I got on board with what Wenders was trying to do and found the rest to be full of great ideas and beautiful scenes. Most impressed at how he captured Berlin - rarely have I watched a film that gets so underneath the skin of the city it's set in. There's the Cold War paranoia but also people just getting on with their lives. And that's what the film is a celebration of - life. A curious, unique take on spirituality. Dialogue was occasionally a bit up itself, but it makes up for it with an interesting overall focus and stunning photography. A strange film - Colombo! - but one that slowly draws you into its world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Urban cowboy - interesting but with braindead characters.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Strange one on last night. A documentary by the name of Catfish.

I randomly stumbled upon it and found it engaging and incredibly annoying at the same time. A simple cheaply shot and made documentary about a burgeoning online relationship between a young photographer and the family of a child prodigy called Abbey... The further he scratches the surface the more ill-at-ease he feels as he begins to find out more about the claims of the family.
    There is a point at which you're really shocked by this web of lies created by the family and then the film makers confront the family on their home-turf.
    It's intriguing, it'll drag you to the finish line. But ultimately you're left feeling kinda depressed about how an ultimately lonely person is caught out or put on trial by camera and wondering whether or not the whole thing is not just a complete fabrication.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I randomly stumbled upon it and found it engaging and incredibly annoying at the same time. A simple cheaply shot and made documentary about a burgeoning online relationship between a young photographer and the family of a child prodigy called Abbey... The further he scratches the surface the more ill-at-ease he feels as he begins to find out more about the claims of the family.
    There is a point at which you're really shocked by this web of lies created by the family and then the film makers confront the family on their home-turf.
    It's intriguing, it'll drag you to the finish line. But ultimately you're left feeling kinda depressed about how an ultimately lonely person is caught out or put on trial by camera and wondering whether or not the whole thing is not just a complete fabrication.
    Coincidentally, today I watched Capturing The Friedmans, which was directed by Andrew Jarecki, who produced Catfish. It was a good documentary but I couldn't help but question the motives of the director, it was as if he was trying to portray the Friedman's (those who committed the crimes at least) as the victims.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

Thor

Good fun, I enjoyed it.

Machete - a trash film that aims to parody trash films but cannot escape from the fact that it is itself a trash film. Trailer made the joke in two minutes, film just felt like a waste of resources. Robert Rodriquez himself has made vastly superior trash.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭dr gonzo

Came on here to say the same, been meaning to watch it for a while and caught it last night. I went it with pretty low expectations and have to say the film was interesting to watch but i can understand why some might be disappointed with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Total Recall, christ they dont make em like this any more

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭skeleton_boy

The Big Lebowski - Very enjoyable and I've a feeling it's one of those movies that'll be even better after a second watch

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

Watched Back to the future II there over the Bank Holiday weekend. Pure cheese.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,806 ✭✭✭take everything

Goldstein wrote: »
    No way, that's one of my favourite comedies of all time :eek:

Yeah.... i'm gonna have to go ahead and sorta... agree with you there?...

Watched Fargo again. Love the dynamic between the characters.
    McDormand's performance as the good-hearted, folksy but canny small-town cop was great. Loved the contrast between the life of her and her husband and the rest of the characters. Loved the black, dry, subtle humour. Loved Buscemi's performance and the dialogue between himself and Stormare. The little things- Stormare's "where's pancake's house?!!", Buscemi struggling to pronounce "carcinogenic" and resorting to "cancer-causing" when admonishing Stormare about smoking, his less than accurate knowledge of the US's tallest skyscrapers :D- always give me a chuckle.

Watched Risky Business again.
    Decent film, serious enough themes but dealt with in a comic way.
    "i don't believe this, i've got a Trig mid-term tomorrow and i'm being chased by Guido the killer-pimp" :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

watched kick ass last night. Really enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭Cookie33

William & Kate: the movie - I knew it was going to be bad but this was just funny.. you had to take a piss.. The acting wasn't the best and the facts about them were wrong. Also the location of the movie LA trying to look british.. Anyway won't be seeing this again and it was obvious it was directed by americans!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,783 ✭✭✭KungPao

Finally got around to watching The Hangover last night. Seemed like a cross between Very Bad Things and the Simpsons episode where Flanders and Homer got wasted and hooked up with a couple of Vegas ladies.

Overall it was quite good, very watchable but for a comedy it lacked any real out loud laughs.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement