Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The Blues Brothers.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Monsters - A bizarre sci-fi type film about two people trying to get from Central America, through Mexico, to get home to America. All the while trying to avoid the migrating monsters of which the film is about.

Enjoyable enough and a good watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭PandyAndy

The Game - Michael Douglas and Sean Penn.

From IDMB
    Nicholas Van Orton is a very wealthy San Francisco banker, but he is an absolute loner, even spending his birthday alone. In the year of his 48th birthday (the age his father committed suicide) his brother Conrad, who has gone long ago and surrendered to addictions of all kinds, suddenly returns and gives Nicholas a card giving him entry to unusual entertainment provided by something called Consumer Recreation Services (CRS). Giving up to curiosity, Nicholas visits CRS and all kinds of weird and bad things start to happen to him

Impressive film with an unexpected ending.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

I watched Closer last night with Natalie Portman, Julia Roberts, Clive Owen, and Jude Law. It's one of those films that left me a little thrown, it was quite well directed, had some good characters and great dialogue but it seemed a little empty.
    How they kept going back to one another after cheating and being unfaithful and then saying they love one another. The love word was thrown around the place, it began to become senseless, I guess that's what the point is.

It's mostly enjoyable bar that. Clive Owen has a terrific performance and he's completely engrossing. The more and more I see Julia Roberts, the less I like her, there's something terribly niggling about her. The inclusion of Damien Rice's Blowers Daughter was a nice touch and I especially loved
    the final shot: Jane strolling confidently in slow motion, long hair and the song playing. It's completely captivating.

Apologies for the post, it's all over the place but all in all, a good effort I felt.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Killing Bono- Pretty sh1te, remided me a little of The Boat that Rocked which i also thought was terrible.

Twilight Eclipse(don't ask)- I'm intrigued by these films, they're very strange. This one could be edited down to a 30 min episode but yet manages to go on for over two hours. Utterly mundane.

The moral of the story is sometimes i just like watching sh1te films.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

If you didn't buy them then it's no problem to watch them and tear them to shreds.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Once Were Warriors

First time I've rewatched it in about 10 years. I'll be quoting Jake "the Muss" for weeks to come.

Cook the man some ****ing eggs!

In case you wanna know it's Jake. Jake The Muss
    Seen it a few times and bought the DVD about 2 years ago but it broke but will probably download and watch as you've reminded me. Fantastic film

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Dangerdunf

I am legend

Epic film!! eek.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Dark City Director's Cut (1998)

Terrible film.

As in a terribly damn good film :pac: I'd left this film so long in the back burner that I completely forgot about it until the recent thread here. One thing I always heard was the best way to view it was the director's cut, which is the version I saw first, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Felt a bit bad what happened to
    William Hurt and his crappy death into the abyss of space
    :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

dr gonzo wrote: »
    Got a craving for it as i hadnt seen it in years and just finished watching it. The Chronicles of Riddick.

Im not Vin Diesels biggest fan and i know its a silly film that got panned but for some reason i still thoroughly enjoy it. Good story, great bad guys, some good set pieces and scenes, acting isnt terrible despite Diesel winning a razzie for it and just an all round decent Sci Fi film.

Interestingly any time i hear people talking about it they all say the same thing, seems to be one of those films where critics and public completely diverge, although a shame the box office figures didnt reflect this.

One decent and one poor film melded together, somehow.
    aaronh007 wrote: »
    Monsters - A bizarre sci-fi type film about two people trying to get from Central America, through Mexico, to get home to America. All the while trying to avoid the migrating monsters of which the film is about.

Enjoyable enough and a good watch.

I couldn't believe how bored I was. There were good setpieces but it wasn't scary and I felt no tension at all.

Saw The Social Network last week and was surprisingly entertained.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

believe it or not , last nite was the 1st time ive ever seen planet of the apes ( 1968 ) , stone cold classic

• Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Saw What Happens in Vegas last night, quality film, very enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Glory, great movie, hadnt seen it in ages

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

Dangerdunf wrote: »
    I am legend

Epic film!! eek.gif

Funnily enough I watched this two nights ago, as a second time viewing. I think I enjoyed it more the second time around, because I knew what to expect with the "zombies" being a big let down.

The setting and tone of the film was enough to keep it entertaining, and the dog was a great supporting character :)

It felt like it could do with a sequel but I doubt that that is going to happen, and if it did I'd probably have to watch it a second time to get over it's downsides :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,313 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

I thought 'I am Legend' was a terrible effort at Matheson's excellent book. Yet another.

I'd really like to see it done correctly. It really would make a great film, if producers just stuck to the damn story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭Magic Eight Ball

irishh_bob wrote: »
    believe it or not , last nite was the 1st time ive ever seen planet of the apes ( 1968 ) , stone cold classic

You can pick up the boxset with all 5 movies + extras for less then a tenner in HMV. They also have the short lived TV series for sale as well.

I watched Scott Pilgrim vs. the World for the first time recently. I dunno.. I'm still undecided. Maybe I'm getting too old to fully appreciate youth culture. :p

Cianos wrote: »
    Funnily enough I watched this two nights ago, as a second time viewing. I think I enjoyed it more the second time around, because I knew what to expect with the "zombies" being a big let down.

The setting and tone of the film was enough to keep it entertaining, and the dog was a great supporting character :)

It felt like it could do with a sequel but I doubt that that is going to happen, and if it did I'd probably have to watch it a second time to get over it's downsides :pac:

was the TG4 showing the other night the only time the alternative ending has been shown on tv ? , was a pleasant surprise although i perfer the one they went with mainstream

You can pick up the boxset with all 5 movies + extras for less then a tenner in HMV. They also have the short lived TV series for sale as well.

I watched Scott Pilgrim vs. the World for the first time recently. I dunno.. I'm still undecided. Maybe I'm getting too old to fully appreciate youth culture. :p

watched some of beneath the planet of the apes last night , awfull , its only redemable feature was the scorching hot nova , thier is something incredibly sexy about a smokin hot chick who doesnt speak , the perfect woman :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

watched some of beneath the planet of the apes last night , awfull , its only redemable feature was the scorching hot nova , thier is something incredibly sexy about a smokin hot chick who doesnt speak , the perfect woman :D

... but the film on before it on Film4 called Hush was brilliant. It had me terrified anyway .... they'll probably show it again, well worth watching.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1093369/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

oh yeah its the worst film in the series

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭MiniSquish

Just watched Quarantine, was looking at Rec aswell in Xtravision but ended up buying Quarantine instead. Myself and the boyfriend just finished watching it there. I thought it was very good, good few scares, not exactly terrifying but I liked the fact that it had a some what believable storyline and wasn't just one of those ridiculous zombie films. The fact that the setting was so enclosed added to the atmosphere and the tension for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Bit of a let down considering the glowing reviews it recieved, scored pretty high on rottentomatoes aswell. Was expecting a lot better. Definitely miles superior to 90% of films of its kind. But having said that its not in the same league as Clueless and 10 things I hate about you(pot confisgating teacher is worth the price of admission alone).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭tippniall

Saw Meet the parents:little Fockers the other night, probably one of the worst movies Ive seen in a long time! Predictable and the same jokes rehashed! Should have stopped at the first one

watched once upon a time in the west last nite , 1st time i ever saw this movie , i had of course seen other leone movies so i knew his style , IMO , once upon a time in the west is way better than the dollar trilogy , they didnt have anyone as steaming as that italian actress in clints spaghetti trilogy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 508 ✭✭✭craftypaddy

watched the rite, with anthony hopkins, decent enough film, alot better than i thought it would be

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Tony EH wrote: »
    I thought 'I am Legend' was a terrible effort at Matheson's excellent book. Yet another.I'd really like to see it done correctly. It really would make a great film, if producers just stuck to the damn story.

I couldn't agree more. I don't think any of the films do it's potential justice. Except for the Simpsons Treehouse of Horror, of course :P
    I watched Scott Pilgrim vs. the World for the first time recently. I dunno.. I'm still undecided. Maybe I'm getting too old to fully appreciate youth culture. tongue.gif

Nope, it's just the horrific written "by teens for teens" dialogue. You know, we should, like, break up, or whatever? Maybe. Totally. Jeez, you know? ARRRRRRRRRGH!!

I loved all of the videogame references (woo!) and it's a true "video game movie" in how it's structured etc but honestly it's a bad movie. It doesn't help that Cera's awfully annoying and there's a major disconnect with his character and predicament.

Watched The Rite the other night. It's awful. Shot in the dark. Predictable characters from other films, done much better elsewhere. There's a nice quazi-dream sequence near the end but overall i couldn't wait for the film to finish. Worst part about it was that you couldn't see anything. It was lit darker than Alien vs Predator 2 :eek

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

I watched 'Due Date' and while there was a few laugh out loud moments i was quite disappointed with the movie.

I did like Robert Downey Jr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

Vanishing on 7th street Could have made a decent episode of The Twilight Zone or The X-Files but as a film it's rubbish, there's no real story to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭rednik

97D4868D88474151A50BF3D7E574A450-0000336305-0002316442-00500L-26E0614C6B544C5990F0D8F709285A56.jpg

I bought this yesterday and watched it last night. Sound is very good but the picture quality is very inconsistent. Very disappointed as this was one title I was really looking forward to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Easy A, very, very funny. some fantastic one liners.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement