Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭tim_holsters

Blue Valentine. Commendable relationship drama with stellar performances from the two leads Ryan Gosling and Michelle Williams. Reminded me a bit of Mike Leigh’s stuff maybe except its American.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,183 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Limitless - Really surprised at how good this was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Mad Max

Brilliant... car chases, the lone wolf out for revenge, violence... This dystopian Aussie film has all the ingredients for a lo-fi, low-budget thrill and spill fest. Launched Mel Gibson (at a boyish 23 here) into the limelight.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

True Grit - Terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Armored: A film with an insanely well known cast and nice concept but truly awful. Some of the decisions that the characters make are simply mind boggling. I have no idea how the script got through without somebody saying something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Jurassic Park, I threw it on today to test out my new headphones and christ its never sounded better. I adore this movie I really do. I remember being 12 seeing it in the cinema for the first time and being astounded and terrified all at once. From the opening scene with the raptor to the arrival of the T-Rex, which as far as I'm concerned is my generations Star Destroyer moment, I'll never forget that collective gasp from the audience as it let out that incredible roar and stomped out onto the screen. Its probably the most important movie of my formative years, a proper event movie of which are few and far between these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 400 ✭✭Im Only 71Kg

The Rite. could have been so much more enjoyable..still watchable. 3/5.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Charlie St. Cloud - Great film a bit over the top but still a great watch. The hotness that is Amanda Crew is it so its more win

Iron Man 2 - Seen the 1st on was great but what the hell was this ??? i turned it off after a hour because i was so board looking at it

The Way Back - Got the last hour of this but was great for the bit i have seen great story and very good film strongly thinking to watch this from the beginning

Tangled 3D - The best film i have seen in 3D a real film to show of your 3D TV. Great story and still shows why Disney are the kings of making great films

• Registered Users Posts: 12,999 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Finally got to see Das Leben der Anderen (The Lives of Others) this evening. Excellent depiction of the effects a Totalitarian State has on its people, even those ostensibly working for the State. Without giving too much away, it follows a Stasi officer in his surveillance of a playwright, and his girlfriend and associates, but he ends up getting involved with them in surprising ways. Winner of the Oscar for Best Foreign Film and a load of other awards.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

Had a total movie day today, Bourne Identity and Supremacy (Ultimatum is tomorrow night) and then Lethal Weapon 1 and 2. I miss proper action movies, everything these days is too pedestrian and soulless. Give me Riggs and Murtaugh over The Rock and Vin Diesel any day. I usually only watch Lethal Weapon at christmas along with Die Hard but I got the blu ray box set and gave it a whirl. love the sequel as well, one of the rare times a sequel lives up to the original, and where Joe Pesci isnt as annoying as he is in parts 3 and 4. its the uncut version too so seeing Riggs go bananas with a chain on those two henchmen after he finds Patsy Kensit is cool after having the cut dvd for so long, it used to have him surface from finding Kensit in her watery grave and then there was this horrible, jarring cut where the music hit a big crescendo for no reason, this is the cut scene:

if you skip that clip from 4 secs to 35 secs is what used to happen on the original dvd, now it has all the neck breaking, car door vs head smashing action put back in

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

krudler wrote: »
    Jurassic Park, I threw it on today to test out my new headphones and christ its never sounded better. I adore this movie I really do. I remember being 12 seeing it in the cinema for the first time and being astounded and terrified all at once. From the opening scene with the raptor to the arrival of the T-Rex, which as far as I'm concerned is my generations Star Destroyer moment, I'll never forget that collective gasp from the audience as it let out that incredible roar and stomped out onto the screen. Its probably the most important movie of my formative years, a proper event movie of which are few and far between these days.

Insightful comment! :cool:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

toodleytoo wrote: »
    Beastly. Awful! I couldn't even finish watching it. The acting was wooden, the storyline was full of gaping plot holes. An hour of my life I'm never getting back!

Seen it myself last week, terrible film!...plotholes and wtf moments everywhere. Vanessa Hudgens looked filty durty in this though (in a good way).

It bombed at the box office, no redeaming features.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

krudler wrote: »
    its the uncut version too so seeing Riggs go bananas with a chain on those two henchmen after he finds Patsy Kensit is cool after having the cut dvd for so long, it used to have him surface from finding Kensit in her watery grave and then there was this horrible, jarring cut where the music hit a big crescendo for no reason, this is the cut scene:

if you skip that clip from 4 secs to 35 secs is what used to happen on the original dvd, now it has all the neck breaking, car door vs head smashing action put back in
    I'm so used to the cut version that this will always seem abrupt and out of place to me. Donner supposedly told James Ferman (the then infamous director of the BBFC) that this cut improved the film as it gave Riggs time to grieve. It's hard to believe this got cut out of an 18s certificate film, it seems so mild, but Ferman always had a thing about chains, etc being used as weapons.

Insightful comment! :cool:

It really is though, as far as a 12 year old krudler was concerned that was a real friggin' dinosaur stomping around. it'll always be one of my most memorable cinema visits, and one of my favourite movies despite its flaws and plot holes (how'd that raptor get inside a junction box full of cables? and why oh why oh why does Timmy just stand there jumping up and down when they're trying to hold the door closed when the raptor is trying to barge in instead of handing Grant the shotgun on the floor and blasting its head off?)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

RANGO So wanted to like this and it tried hard but overrall it was quite boring.

LET ME IN Loved the original so wasnt too confident about a Hollywood remake but I really enjoyed it. Stayed fairly close to the original, had the same sort of feel, and even the two kids in the remake did a pretty good job. In fact I`d go as far as to say its only marginally inferior to the original. Defintely recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭marwelie

Win Win starring Paul Giamatti

Couldn't find the poster so the trailer will have to do.....

http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi1913297433/

If you liked The Station Agent and Sideways as much as I did you're going to like this

Loved it, highly recommended

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

marwelie wrote: »
    If you liked The Station Agent and Sideways as much as I did you're going to like this

Loved it, highly recommended

I liked the Station Agent, Sideways and The Visitor, but hated Win Win :(

Distressingly by the numbers for me. I wanted my heart to be warmed, but alas I emerged my usual cynical self :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Dacelonid

Battle: Los Angeles
    Watch this a few nights ago and it is way better than I expected. I was expecting much, and hadn't read too much about it, so my lowered expectations probably helped, but it was a lot better than I thought it would be. I especially liked the opening battle scenes, reminded me so much of the Assault level in Crysis, where you get this feeling of a massive battle going on around you.

Also watched Fargo and Burn after Reading as well and forgot how good Fargo is and how enjoyable Burn after Reading is.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

La quattro volte - Surprisingly engaging for a film that doesn't feature a line of dialogue (all of the small amount of speech is Italian, in the background and not subtitled). Following the 'adventures' of three characters - an elderly man, a kid goat, and..um... a tree.

Set in a small Italian village, initially it simply seems like a portrait of rural life. But around a third of the way through it reveals itself as a sombre reflection on spirituality, life and death through a very literal and quite sudden transition. One could argue it's a bit on-the-nose with its symbolism at time, and while I don't necessarily agree with the fundamental ideology presented by the director, it's an original, beautifully photographed film. Haven't seen anything quite like it to be honest!

It's a film that also has laughs (a great long take involving a dog, a possession, a goat pen and a van) alongside moments of sadness (an old, sick man relying on 'blessed' dust collected from the church floor as medicine). I expected to be bored, but emerged strangely satisfied despite my disagreement with the themes of faith put forward. Well worth a watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Harrocks

The Horseman.An australian thriller/horror a very violent movie yet kept me captivated to the end.Was on film4 recently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Is that about a Peado

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Gercakeage

Silence of the lambs! Brilliant!! :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Andre80Johnson

Tucker & Dale vs Evil I don't know when the last time I had a good time watching a film, but this certainly made me appreciate the fun I had.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tucker_%26_Dale_vs_Evil

I would seriously recommend this film if you can get your hand on it because it really is worth a watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Skinfull

Tucker & Dale vs Evil I don't know when the last time I had a good time watching a film, but this certainly made me appreciate the fun I had.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tucker_%26_Dale_vs_Evil

I would seriously recommend this film if you can get your hand on it because it really is worth a watch.

Yeah cool! I watched that last week and it was very funny. Predictable and gory but still really fun.

Watched Unbreakable last night on BluYay and it was great. Really holds up and some of the shots are just plain gorgeous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

That's what I am.

A nice film. Ed Harris plays a nice man in it. It's grand. Not much more to say about it really

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Tarsem Singh's The Fall

This has been on my to-watch list for a while. Loved it. It's a visual tour de force but doesn't skimp on the emotions. Reminded me a lot of Pan's Labyrinth, minus the horror.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,907 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Pick it up on Blu-ray if you haven't already SP... absolutely stunning!

Yeah, it was the Blu-ray I got. It was only €6 from Amazon so it was a no brainer. Just got a new HDTV as well and it was the perfect film to try it out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Tarsem Singh's The Fall

This has been on my to-watch list for a while. Loved it. It's a visual tour de force but doesn't skimp on the emotions. Reminded me a lot of Pan's Labyrinth, minus the horror.
    Did ya cry? Eh? Eh? Did ya?

• Advertisement

Did ya cry? Eh? Eh? Did ya?
    *manly voice* I never cry at movies. :pac:

But the scene between Alex and Roy after she wakes up is pretty heartbreaking.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement