Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

"Me and You and Everyone We Know" - Finally got around to watching this after reading so many great reviews,

An absolutely nothing movie. Trying to be so, so poignant at all times. This is not how life is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

Moon- Spectacularly good.

Southland Tales- Spectacularly poor. Seriously, Richard Kelly, the embodiement of the emperor's new clothes has been shown for the lucked-out hype generator he is. Unbelievably bad.

Matrix Revolutions- Finally got around to watching it, and, to be honest, I liked it. Sure, it's muddled in places, nowhere near as good as The Matrix, but it had a lot of pretty decent elements and kept me glued to my seat. Not nearly as bad as I thought it was gonna be.

Anvil: The Story of Anvil- Genuinely heart-warming story of a plucky band who never gave up.

Dig!- One of the most fascinating documentaries about music I've ever seen. Even if you hate The Dandy Warhols and never heard of The Brian Jonestown Massacre, it's an incredibly interesting documentary.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,759 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

The Knowing.

Worth watching for Rose Byrne. She is yum yum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭mudokon

Natural City, decent enough Sci Fi film about cyborg rebellion, a bit slow in places but worth a watch. A lot of similarities to Blade Runner.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Corcs001

Watched Mr Brooks recently and thought it was pretty good. Also watched Requiem For A Dream the other day and thought it was fantastic! Not sure I'll watch it again anytime soon though...so depressing...and wont be taking any heroin anytime soon either!:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭kenon

Watched "The Hangover" last night and thought it was alright, good parts in it but found the characters annoying.
    Just watched Revolutionary Road. Didn't enjoy it at all. Just thought it was fairly boring, depressing, and hard work.

Hated the film. Worst film I saw this year.

5/6 a side football

Coolmine Sports Centre - Wednesdays - 8pm

PM me for a game

Thread

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

Watched Knowing at the weekend. It was fine until it got weird. It got weird and stayed weird and it lost me.

Saw Bruno in the cinema last week - very funny. If you've seen Borat you have an idea what you're in for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭MikeC101

"When Eight Bells Toll" was on Film4 today.

Saw it years ago, so perhaps my opinion is a little clouded by nostalgia.

Anthony Hopkins, as a grittier Bond type, doing Bond type stuff, only set on the Scottish coast, and featuring more sensible attire - wellies and a nice woolie jumper :D.

Actually some really surprising stuff - in one scene Hopkins knocks out two guys who come to snoop on his boat. Deciding he only needs to turn one over to the police, he proceeds to wrap chains around the unfortunate other ones legs and toss him overboard. As you do. (they had killed one of his colleagues earlier, but it was still quite cold blooded.)

Performances are all over the place, some great, some poor, the script is pretty good, overall execution not great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

/\ Don Sharp was never a great director!

Watched Sleuth off ITV3, Michael Caine and Larry Olivier in a two hander based closely on the stage play so the action confined to just a few rooms and brief exteriors in the gardens. Not sure if we are supposed to be surprised as Oliviers character was when the big reveal takes place. Still exellent hammy performances (in a good way) and barbed
    script.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭nicklauski

The Hangover : Thought it was good. Some very funny bits in it, sure it didnt live up to the hype, but it was stil very funny. Allan, the guy with the beard, really saves the movie for me. I thought he was hilarious.

I Love You Man : Wasnt bad. Again like the hangover, i thought it would have been better. Paul Rudd puts in a good turn. As someone said there is no stand out funny moments, but there is some funny dialog.

The Soloist : I thought this was a great film, different, but great. Good performances by RDJ & Jamie Foxx.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,099 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

The Quest- Pretty good action flick with Van Dame with some nice fight scenes

Bronson-I liked it seen it in the cinema and defintly better second time round worth a watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Nulty

Kill Bill 1+2 - Only got round to it last month. Possibly my most underestimated movies. Didn't believe the hype but its brilliant in every way. (Action-revenge)9/10

Fist full of Dollars - Eastwood looking cool and not saying a lot. They dont make movies like that any more. Atmosphere created my Morricone makes this possible.(Spaghetti western) 8/10

Gran Torinno - Decent enough considering I was told its crap. Eastwoods charater is excellent as always. If anyone likes tongue-in-cheek racism this will have toy in stitches. (Culture+Generation clash) 6.5/10:p

Ratings in context of movie style

I watched Full Metal Jacket last night, somehow never saw it before then. Gritty and enjoyable.

I saw Notorious which was a lot better than I thought considering I've no interest in rap/rappers etc. Good story, rags to riches kind of thing. They portrayed Christopher Wallace as a bit of an asshole.

5/6 a side football

PM me for a game

Thread

• Registered Users Posts: 12,997 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Pierrot le Fou at IFI.

It's French. Very French. Lots of surrealism, strange references, things just happening for no obvious reason, though you can tell the director has his reasons. Things seem normal, if a little cutesy, and then you notice that the bedroom is full of guns ...

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

I watched Johnny Mad Dog again last night.

Dolan's Cadillac - A rather decent Stephen King adaptation with Christian Slater and Wes Bentley. Watching it I was constantly surprised by just how well it all came together. The ending is a bit drawn out but over all it's well worth watching.

Strange Bedfellows - A rather charming Australian comedy with the very talented Micheal Caton and Paul Hogan. The film is almost identical to I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry only made 3 years earlier. Recommended for anyone looking for an old fashioned comedy.

Funny Farm - Yet another underwhelming Chevy Chase film. While not dreadful it has no real redeeming factors. If you find yourself with nothing else to do and it's on TV give it a watch but don't go out of your way to do so.

Sunshine Cleaning - A nice quirky comedy with some fantastic performances from all involved. Guaranteed to bring a smile to the face of even the most miserable soul.

Real Time - A fantastic little film which will have passed pretty much everybody by. A two hander from Jay Baruchel and Randy Quaid. The story is secondary to the fantastic chemistry between the two.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭MikeC101

I just watched Shrooms.

When the best written and deepest part of a movie is Don Wycherley and Sean McGinley, as two filthy drooling redneck / inbred hillbilly types referring to their sexual indiscretions with pigs and cattle ("Now what I love is a bull calf tied to a post. Grand tongue on a bull calf. Like sandpaper it is."), you know you're in trouble.

Sunshine Cleaning - A nice quirky comedy with some fantastic performances from all involved. Guaranteed to bring a smile to the face of even the most miserable soul.

Real Time - A fantastic little film which will have passed pretty much everybody by. A two hander from Jay Baruchel and Randy Quaid. The story is secondary to the fantastic chemistry between the two.

yes, both are good films.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭DO'Carlo/Wex

Probably be laughed out-of here as a 100% Heterosexual Male BUT, I ordered recently & received & watched yesterday:
    THE DELINQUENTS.
    In 1989 it was released with Kylie Minogue & Charlie Schlatter (always thought it was Slater). It wasn't all bad.
    I had never gotten around to seeing it as a young fella so I just had to see if it was as good as I thought I remembered the clips made it out to be.
    And suprisingly, yes it was.
    Did a similar thing with OTT with Sylvester Stallone & it was magic.
    That and The Goonies.

THE DELINQUENTS.
    In 1989 it was released with Kylie Minogue & Charlie Schlatter (always thought it was Slater). It wasn't all bad.

I saw that a few months ago and thought it was watchable alright. Charlie Schlatter moved on to years and years of Diagnosis Murder. The Delinquints does be on sky movies a bit.

I watched Valkyrie (true story about the plot to assassinate Hitler) last night and thought it was quite good.

I also saw 'Push', strange mind-reading, psychic characters etc film with Dakota Fanning. A good film that seems to end abruptly.

5/6 a side football

PM me for a game

Thread

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

watched COLLATEROL for about the 5th time tonight , great movie , perhaps tom cruise best performance , i find it strange that foxx got nominated for an oscar instead

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Went to see Rudo Y Cursi in the Kino in Cork.

Its about two brothers who play in a piss ant little league in a very small town in Mexico. A scout spots them and brings them to Mexico city where they play in the big league.

The story is probably a little tired but the film is absolutly great. Gael Garcia Bernal and Diego Luna (very close friends in real life) are brilliant in their respective roles.

Highly recommended

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

Just finished watching Sour Grapes on TG4. I've always wanted to see it because it's directed by Larry David and comes in for a hard time on Curb your enthusiasm.
    It's definitely a Larry David production, from the dialogue to the music, he even makes an appearance.
    Honestly it's not great but I enjoyed it for the curiosity value alone. It could have been a modest success if the two leads were played by higher profile actors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭DO'Carlo/Wex

Quite literaly as I type this, I've just come off watching Mall Cops (ilegaly I supose on Ovguide).
    Funny out.
    Watched American Pie: The Wedding on TV-3 tonight too. One of the better ones before they started milking it & changing actors & actresses in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,032 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Quite literaly as I type this, I've just come off watching Mall Cops (ilegaly I supose on Ovguide).
    Funny out.
    Watched American Pie: The Wedding on TV-3 tonight too. One of the better ones before they started milking it & changing actors & actresses in it.

I saw that American Pie in the cinema after enjoying the previous two...I don't think I laughed once!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

Watched The Reader last weekend. For me Kate Winslet & Ralph Fiennes can't wrong. I just loved it. I'm not really a cryer but shed a few for this one. It's romantic but in a harsh sort of a way.

Having said that, loaned it to my friends the next night & they turned it off after 45 mins :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭beans

Dolan's Cadillac - A rather decent Stephen King adaptation

Gas, I was just thinking the other day about how this could be adapted for the screen - had no idea it was out there!

Beverly Hills Chihuahua - Aside from some excellent voice casting the film really has nothing going for it if you're not a 12 year old girl or rabid small dog enthusiastic. It's light and easy going but sometimes that's not enough.

Bedtime Stories - I like Adam Sandler, his films are generally easy going, goofy fun. This is no exception, the gross out jokes are toned down and the casting is excellent. Guy Pearce is fun as is an almost unrecognisable Lucy Lawless. Kids will have the most fun here but for adults it's entertaining. Plus it features the most adorable per guinea pig ever.

Recount - A HBO film based on the 2000 presidential recount in Florida. The cast are all fantastic with Kevin Spacey impressing. Jay Roach goes against type here and delivers an intelligent and adult drama. Well worth tracking down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭mudokon

Recount - A HBO film based on the 2000 presidential recount in Florida. The cast are all fantastic with Kevin Spacey impressing. Jay Roach goes against type here and delivers an intelligent and adult drama. Well worth tracking down.

I saw a bit of Recount a while back it was on RTE or TV3 late at night. it was an interesting film would liked to have seen it all. I forgot about it until now. Thanks for the reminder. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 858 ✭✭✭goingpostal

I saw Bruno the other night. Not very impressed. Too much of it was staged, the jokes were just less funny rehashes of Borats jokes and it didn't do a lot to advance the cause of gay rights or increase tolerance of gay people in society. Very disappointing.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement