Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Speaking of Graham Greene, what a brilliant actor who deserves a place in the ''failed to reach potential thread''.

Saw him in The Green Mile there last week which itself nearly had me crying at the end. Gotta love Toot the guy who helps the guards with the rehearsals before executions, had me in stitches. Also the film was the inspiration for my username :D

Thats Harry Dean Stanton, him of Alien fame

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

Ben Hur(1959)
    Watched it today with my kids.
    I was surprised they watched it TBH giving the film length and age.
    Great story,great characters,they clapped and cheered during the chariot race.:D

Great stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Revolutionary Road. Stunning movie. Completely engrossing and I was left thinking about it for a long time after.

Ben Hur(1959)
    Watched it today with my kids.
    I was surprised they watched it TBH giving the film length and age.
    Great story,great characters,they clapped and cheered during the chariot race.:D

Great stuff!

what time did you start watching it 5am? that movies like a fortnight long :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 30,437 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

The Expendables. Best action film I've seen in years. Brillant cast and all out action from the beginning. Can't wait for the follow up which begins shooting during the summer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,000 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Saw Incendies today at the IFI in preview - the Oscar-nominated French-Canadian film about ... well I had a lot to say about it, so I wrote a review for the appropriate forum. :o

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

The Eagle
    Similar story to Centurion but I didn't like it as much.

Orcs!
    Low budget indie about a bunch of orcs unearthed in a US National Park and have to be stopped by a lazy park ranger and his rookie partner, pretty decent for an indie, some chuckles and LOTR references.
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1942934/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Before the Devil Knows You're Dead - This bored me to tears tbh, I turned it off within the hour.

Mr. Brooks - Really really good, Kevin Costner is fantastic, I really hope he gets back into the big time.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Cummybaby

Watched Senna last night. A cracker of a documentary. Not an emotional guy but it definitely tugged at the old heart strings. I would recommend this film to anyone even if you have no interest in Formula 1 Racing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Revolutionary Road. Stunning movie. Completely engrossing and I was left thinking about it for a long time after.
    You should read the book by Richard Yates. The film is good, but doesn't capture the brilliance of the book. Mendes turned DiCaprio's character into an asshole. His character is much easier to relate to in the book.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

An Innocent Man with Tom Selleck

Loved it, showed police corruption.
    And for all sharing a cell with Bubba jokes we hear, it shows what can happen when an easy target is sent to prison. Kill or be killed almost

• Closed Accounts Posts: 508 ✭✭✭craftypaddy

cross, vinnie jones and the big guy from green mile are the main stars, comic book adaptation, not bad to pass away a bit of time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 400 ✭✭Im Only 71Kg

Henry's Crime. good watch..kinda sweet. vera farmiga is very funny. 7/10.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

Just watched 'A Serious Man', I think I was the only one of my friends to like it! 'Hot Fuzz' was more popular afterwards!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭James T Kirk

Inland Empire

Mind = blown.

David Lynch = mad genius.

The film is still playing in my head - three days later.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Inland Empire
    Mind = blown.
    David Lynch = mad genius.
    The film is still playing in my head - three days later.

Sold, searching for a trailer now

edit : Is the film shot with a wide-angle lens?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭James T Kirk

Not sure about the tech, jaykhunter, not really familiar with all that stuff.

It was shot on DV though, I know that much.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

Watched the Last King of Scotland yesterday - powerful film, unreal performance from Forest Whitaker. James McEvoy was excellent.

then went to see the Green Lantern last night. Brilliant. I really enjoyed it.

You should read the book by Richard Yates. The film is good, but doesn't capture the brilliance of the book. Mendes turned DiCaprio's character into an asshole. His character is much easier to relate to in the book.

I may do just that. But I've many books to get through before I can buy another. Thanks for the recommendation!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Legendary: To be honest wasnt expecting much at all considering John Cena was starring in it, but must say it a lot better than I thought not oscar worthy but good all the same, if you like sports movies with a bit of heart in them then you wont be dissappointed.

• Advertisement

Tangled, very funny, nice return to form for Disney, Maxmimus the horse has all the best moments in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

The Promise - the making of Darkness on the edge of town

Excellent music doc, I bought it on Friday and decided to watch it after hearing the sad news about Clarence Clemmons, such dedication to the music, 3 months on one song - the album had about 70 songs written and
    10 made it.

Such a perfectionist Bruce is that the songs had to be _that_ good - or at least in his mind that complete and fitting to be a part of the disc.

Nowadays we have Jedward

• Registered Users Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭marwelie

The Runway

Decent, but when they say its sort of based on a true story, it is vaguely! I thought it was going to be closer to the real life events. It isn't. I'd give it 7 out of ten, lots of subtitles btw

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

Watched SwitchBlade Romance (aka High Tension) recently for the second time, really enjoyed it, and would recommend it (was picked up for €2, well worth it!).

The woman suggested we watched Fish Tank, a really good drama with a great performance from Katie Jarvis.

Tell No One, the girlfriends favourite french movie, so I had to watch it! I don't regret it either, really good movie that has opened my eyes to more french films!

Senna, a must watch really, it made me both angry and sad watching it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Sean Quagmire

Exit through the gift shop - Thought it was an excellent film, a really well executed concept. I'd advise you not to look it up too much as it could spoil it. 9/10

Water for elephants - Predictable, poorly scripted and put together movie. a real let down to be honest. 3/10

Hall Pass - it is what it is, enjoyable with some funny bits throughout. slightly better than expected 7/10

Million Dollar Baby. It's been on my shelf for a while and I finally brought myself to watch it. It's utterly brilliant. Hugely enjoyable.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Battle: Los Angeles pretty ok film, it was far less alien sci-fi oriented and more military, think Saving Private Ryan against Aliens instead of Germans. The CGI was great and overall it was a good enough film, although I was expecting more given the rave reviews.

Stinicker wrote: »
    Battle: Los Angeles pretty ok film, it was far less alien sci-fi oriented and more military, think Saving Private Ryan against Aliens instead of Germans. The CGI was great and overall it was a good enough film, although I was expecting more given the rave reviews.

I actually went in with low expectations and was thoroughly pleased with what I watched. Good fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Stinicker wrote: »

I'd say more hype then rave review.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Watched LA Confidential on Blu-ray last night. Really good film. The Rollo Tomasi plot device is genius! I also fell asleep before the extended epilogue that I hate so much.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement