Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

If that was your first time ever seeing it then clearly your opinion doesn't matter. :D

That was the response I was expecting. Rather than me attack the film could you tell me why it is held in such high regard cause I can't figure it out at all?:(

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭User Friendly

Kill The Irishman - I really enjoyed this, great true-story crime film about athe 60s\70s in a US city being run by the Mafia and an Irish fella climbing the ladder and basically annoying the **** out of them.
    vinnie jones is in a few scenes in this movie.....still wearing the same hat and leather jacket he wore in lock stock and every other film i can think of:(
    thankfully he has only a v minor part as the attempt at the irish accent was dreadfull,cant understand how he gets parts in films,jones aside,i enjoyed the film.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Hermy wrote: »
    That was the response I was expecting. Rather than me attack the film could you tell me why it is held in such high regard cause I can't figure it out at all?:(

cos its one of the best sci-fi/action movies ever made?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

krudler wrote: »
    cos its one of the best Worst sci-fi/action movies ever made?

Fyp!

Awful, awful stuff from cameron. The first movie is the cult classic, the second a typical dumb american blockbuster. There's so much wrong with it I dont know where to begin!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

kerash wrote: »
    Fyp!

Awful, awful stuff from cameron. The first movie is the cult classic, the second a typical dumb american blockbuster. There's so much wrong with it I dont know where to begin!

I think it's a classic. Completey different than Alien but still a classic.

• Advertisement

Fyp!

Its far from dumb tbh, its one of the best war allegorys ever. so what exactly is wrong with it?
    also Alien is hardly a cult classic, was a massive hit on release.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭TommyTippee

Aliens is a brilliant film. I prefer it over Alien, which I find to be quite slow.

I think Alien 3 is very underrated too.

I love Alien 3, its one of the most underrated movies of the 90's, slated upon release but the extended version is fantastic, fixes a load of issues with the theatrical version

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

Aliens placed 5th on our boards.ie favourite movies of all time a while back. High praise and certainly indicative of the great admiration and acclaim it is regarded with the world over. It sits right up there in such lofty company as Terminator 2, The Empire Strikes Back and The Matrix in the action / science fiction genres.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭LuckyFinigan

Steak Land - Really enjoyed it, its like a mix of The Road and I Am Legend, well worth a watch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Fyp!

I agree with you that the first film is by a long way the best in the series, and I'm no fan of the second, but by the same token it's no Catwoman. It's at least competent, and there are a couple of very good scenes in it - the turret gun scene in particular always stands out for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

the turret gun scene in particular always stands out for me.

where they use automatic turrets to guard a hallway, that I have no idea why it was cut from the theatrical release :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Auvers wrote: »
    where they use automatic turrets to guard a hallway, that I have no idea why it was cut from the theatrical release :confused:

It's the most tense scene in the film, and we don't see a single alien.

Auvers wrote: »

Pacing, although its not that long a scene, plus its brilliant. The one part I wish they'd never bothered including in the special edition is where we see the colony before the alien infestation, made for much more tense a setting when we arrive with the marines and have no idea what happened, that scene where Newt's parents discover the derelict ship from Alien just feels out of place for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭Jako8

Catfish - Don't look it up or it'll spoil it. Just watch and enjoy. It's an intriguing documentary and enjoyable but you wouldn't re-watch it. 7.5/10

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

I only got around to watching Limitless the other day, not too bad but the ending was a bit lacking I thought what with
    him seemingly retaining the advanced brain power despite not being on the drug anymore? What about all the people who died etc? And if its just because he slowly weaned himself off then why did people who only ever stayed on low doses get sick and lack concentration afterwards?

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭Cookie33

Unknown - it was good, but classic Liam Neeson stuff now. The ending was a bit rubbish imo

The Adjustment Bureau - really liked it and Matt Damon's performance as good as ever

Moulin Rouge - finally got round to watching this, really enjoyed it

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭ValJester

The Elephant Man-one of the best films I've ever seen.Hurt and Hopkins are terrific in their roles, and Lynch does a brilliant job of realising a sort of Victorian dystopia.

Dead Man's Shoes-Essentially a gritty British take on Oldboy-type revenge thrillers, and it is appealingly vicious stuff if hardly the masterpiece some would have you believe.Considine is great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭User Friendly

black swan....... thought it was a crock of ****

• Registered Users Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

Having seen it given the thumbs up here a few times, finally saw The Prestige. It lived up to the hype :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Voltwad wrote: »
    Having seen it given the thumbs up here a few times, finally saw The Prestige. It lived up to the hype :)
    Now, watch it again. You'll enjoy it even more. It gets better everytime I watch it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭rednik

Just watched Serenity on blu ray which I bought ages ago. Really enjoyed it, an unknown cast to me were very good.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

rednik wrote: »
    Just watched Serenity on blu ray which I bought ages ago. Really enjoyed it, an unknown cast to me were very good.

You mean you didn't watch the series first? :eek:

I've never seen either, despite the constant recommendations. Think I might look into that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭tim_holsters

Barney's Version.

Really enjoyed it, defo worth a watch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Felon
    It's a prison film

Can't say I've come across the main actor Stephen Dorff before.
    Val Kilmer was excellent too if barely recognizable.
    And the Lieutenant was good too, great acting all around

Loved the film, very raw and gritty

Can't believe I missed this in 2008

mikemac wrote: »
    Felon
    Never seen Blade? :confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Blade

1e6c9411d2267c08cd06ae46dac62a58.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Nope, will check out Blade

I like him as a lead actor

Edit, a wiki check tells me it's a vampire film.
    Will give that a miss

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Nope, will check out Blade

I like him as a lead actor

Edit, a wiki check tells me it's a vampire film.
    Will give that a miss

:eek:

A Vampire film with Wesley Snipes kicking vampire ass!!!

At least watch the opening scene!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement