Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭rednik

You mean you didn't watch the series first? :eek:

Just shows what I know. Had a look at IMDB, Firefly is it that good? getting a 9.4. Really enjoyed the movie so probably will check the series out.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

rednik wrote: »
    Just shows what I know. Had a look at IMDB, Firefly is it that good? getting a 9.4. Really enjoyed the movie so probably will check the series out.
    The series was excellent. Sadly it got cancelled after 14 episodes, which is what led to the film.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,456 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Ah Firefly, tied only with Freaks & Geeks for the most brilliant series they cancelled too soon.

It's a remarkable series, always entertaining and sharply written (certainly the highlight of Joss Whedon's career, and I'm a fan of his). And then Serenity, probably my favourite sci-fi film of all time. I missed it in the cinema because I had just got a lend of a Firefly boxset from a friend to hype me up. I then promptly missed theatrical release :pac: Finally watched the DVD, and don't think I've ever been so profoundly moved by a piece of action cinema. The final speech - goosebumps! The real life subtext of it all makes it all the more rousing.
    Love. You can learn all the math in the 'Verse, but you take a boat in the air that you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as a turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurtin' before she keels. Makes her a home.

It's one of the few films I've ever watched ten plus times, and that final speech gets me every single time. Whedon done good

• Registered Users Posts: 5,251 ✭✭✭Elessar

Super 8

A movie with a good, if predictable plot and interesting characters. A throwback to 80s spielberg-esque movies. Nothing spectacular but it's a film with heart and just goes to show that action isn't the be all and end all for monster movies - it matters so much more when you care about the characters.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Ah Firefly, tied only with Freaks & Geeks for the most brilliant series they cancelled too soon.

Um, Carnivále? Twin Peaks? (Don't get me wrong, I love Firefly too.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

LOL total mad stuff!........... I love Rutger Hauer, an incredible experience but once was enough.

The Glory hole.............."pull my hair" :D
    This films greatest strength is its oddball tone and freakishly beautiful bursts of violence that occur periodically through the movie. The chunks of the movie that involve crazy old Rutger Hauer blasting through waves of baddies in brutal fashion and the bizarre acts of violence perpetrated by the films antagonists are easily the highlights, and they never fail to delight with their brilliant, twisted gore effects

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,456 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Um, Carnivále? Twin Peaks? (Don't get me wrong, I love Firefly too.)

Haven't seen Carnivale, but Twin Peaks did get two seasons, the second providing increasingly diminishing returns until that bitchin' finale (followed by an distinctly unbitchin' prequel movie). Freak & Geeks and Firefly never even got the chance to provide diminishing returns!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Haven't seen Carnivale, but Twin Peaks did get two seasons, the second providing increasingly diminishing returns until that bitchin' finale (followed by an distinctly unbitchin' prequel movie). Freak & Geeks and Firefly never even got the chance to provide diminishing returns!

I admit I've only seen the first series - never got a chance to see the second - but I've heard great things about the prequel:confused: (Mind you, that's from a friend with decidedly, er, unique taste in films, though close taste to mine.)

Watch Carnivále. Honestly. You'll thank me, and hate the studio.

I've not seen Freaks & Geeks - will keep my eye out for it.

Watch this:

Now you've seen everything that's worthwhile seeing about Fire Walk With Me :P Very disappointing film though, especially since it crushingly ignores the cliffhanger conclusion to the series. It's well directed, but the story adds little or nothing to what came before it :(

Carnivale is definitely on my to watch list, along with many many others alas! But definitely watch Freaks & Geeks - it holds the honour of most honest show about teenagers you'll ever watch. Cut down in its prime, although most involved - Seth Rogen, Judd Apatow, Paul Feig (creator of the series and now director of Bridemaids), James Franco and many others - got their start with it, and most have yet to produce anything to match its quality!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

mikemac wrote: »
    Felon
    It's a prison film

Can't say I've come across the main actor Stephen Dorff before.
    Val Kilmer was excellent too if barely recognizable.
    And the Lieutenant was good too, great acting all around

Loved the film, very raw and gritty

Can't believe I missed this in 2008
    He's fantastic in a guilty pleasure of mine, Cecil B Demented

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

Go, totally forgot what a savage movie this is :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

Watched Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines last night.

It doesn't come close to the first two - seemed a bit all over the place tbh - but still a good watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,908 ✭✭✭✭Basq

I've not seen Freaks & Geeks - will keep my eye out for it.
    God, how can you not have seen it?

You can have a lend of my DVD set.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 508 ✭✭✭craftypaddy

cursai wrote: »
    Wow. seriously. I had to turn that off after the wedding part. Thought it was very bad.

it was only after the wedding where it picked up and the action started

just watched city of god, i am not a fan of subtitles but this had me hooked, its a must see film. rated 19 out of 250 top movies on this site
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0317248/

• Registered Users Posts: 14 irishgunner1

Watched jackass 3 last weekend,funniest film iv seen in years,laugh out loud funny

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Senna: A decent documentary, but poorly edited and 40-60 minutes too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

It had me gripped the whole way through. Found it facinating.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Was this the theatrical cut? Because what I saw in the cinema was only about an hour and a half long. But it seems there is a much longer version.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Was this the theatrical cut? Because what I saw in the cinema was only about an hour and a half long. But it seems there is a much longer version.
    Yeah the one I watched was 2hrs 40 so must have been a different version, which would explain a few things with regards to the editing, it was as if some things were just thrown in! You'd be looking at archive footage with dramatic music and all of a sudden it'd cut to an interview, no fluidity at all to it.

I actually thought as I was watching it that I wasn't watching the theatrical release, it was as if someone had taken the theatrical version and then stuck in their own stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

Poorly edited? How so? Hard to say what was left out/what was and wasn't available to them etc...

Always find editing a really hard one to understand properly - pretty much the only people that know whether the editing was good or bad are the director, cinematographer and editor.

Renn wrote: »
    Poorly edited? How so? Hard to say what was left out/what was and wasn't available to them etc...

Always find editing a really hard one to understand properly - pretty much the only people that know whether the editing was good or bad are the director, cinematographer and editor.

A lot of the talking head sequences in the extended cut are poorly inserted and at times cut short a few of the voice over sequences, I'm not sure if this is just an issue with the leaked version or a problem overall.

Ah that's different so, at least you've got something to compare it to. My post still stands in relation to most comments about editing though!

Renn wrote: »
    Ah that's different so, at least you've got something to compare it to. My post still stands in relation to most comments about editing though!

It's quite easy to recognize bad editing, though that said there are times when people may think a scene is badly edited but it was in fact the directors intent. Case in point, the Departed, the scene with the Drop Kick Murphy's song coming to an end mid word.

Bad editing can involve a number of things, shots and actions not matching up, hell I've worked on a number of shorts and features and the continuity in some of them was diabolical which can directly result in a poorer edit.

You can recognise some things but in reality the only people that truly know what's been left out/why it's done in a particular way are the people I mentioned above. It was one thing that irked Lumet iirc.

But even some continuity issues might be unavoidable, no? Like I said, we just don't know what was filmed and left out of the final picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

I watched Taken again last night, I do like that movie. I know its been said before but Liam Neeson really should do more ass-kicking roles.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Kojak wrote: »
    Watched Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines last night.

It doesn't come close to the first two - seemed a bit all over the place tbh - but still a good watch.

Its meh, has its moments though. The ending is fairly ballsy for a 12s rated summer movie and the truck/jeep/bike/firetruck chase is superb, but its a bit of a mess, its no style to it at all its like any old hack directed it.

Arnie being in parody mode kinda sucked any coolness out of the character, and Claire Danes was really miscast, it also ruins the "no fate but what we make for ourselves" premise of the first two.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭rednik

Just watched The Parallax View for the umpteenth time. A brilliant atmospheric thriller with great performances by Warren Beatty and Hume Cronyn.

henry's crime, with keanu reeves, looked promising but nah turns into a love story.... one for the ladies me thinks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

The Yellow Sea, from the same director as The Chaser. Not as good as that film but still a good thriller/action. Half the film is brutal fight scenes, guys chopping the crap out of each other with hatchets and knives :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement