Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Kimia

How to Train your Dragon: Absolutely loved it. Totally understand why it got rave reviews.

Up: Had heard loads about this and never found the time to watch it. It was fantastic. I cried in the first 10 minutes and I challenge anyone watching it not to. A really, really good movie.

Zombieland: Hilarious. Love Woody Allen. Pleasantly surprised by this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭rednik

Paul. Not as good as Hot Fuzz or Shaun of the dead, but worth a look.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,456 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Kimia wrote: »

Zombieland: Hilarious. Love Woody Allen. Pleasantly surprised by this one.

Think you might have the wrong Woody there :p Although I'd love a Woody Allen zombie movie...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭johndoe99

i watched "The Fifth Element" last night on blu-ray, truly a classic, watching the special features, an interviewer asked Luc Besson how he came up with such a weird storyline, his response was that if he was not making films he'd probably be locked up in a mental institution or similar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

The Way Back, good film, bit long tho

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭bmarley

I watched "Salt" last night - class

• Registered Users Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭dubmick

bmarley wrote: »
    I watched "Salt" last night - class

I thought it was terrible, really really bad. Each to their own I suppose :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

The Mist - Really enjoyed this film(actually reading the book now), but thought the ending was silly, didn't make much sense to me to be honest.

The Road - Heard a lot about this film been described as a very depressing film, however I didn't find that to be the case. It was a good movie, however I'm led to believe the book is more shocking, so I'm interested in reading that now.

Enemy of the State - I always like Will Smith films for some reason, so I don't know how I missed this one till now. It was an enjoyable watch, just like most Will Smith film! (I may have a Will Smith film obsession, will they ever hurry up with his next one! :pac: )

How to Train Your Dragon - Had to watch this after reading about it. Brilliant film, loved it. Easily the best animated film I have seen in years, and certainly better and more deserving of an Oscar than Toy Story 3 (not surprising though, Christopher Nolan hasn't even gotten an Oscar yet!)

The Usual Suspects - Only watched this recently :o For the few people left you still haven't seen it, you should :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Benzino wrote: »

How to Train Your Dragon - Had to watch this after reading about it read. Brilliant film, loved it. Easily the best animated film I have seen in years, and certainly better and more deserving of an Oscar than Toy Story 3 (not surprising though, Christopher Nolan hasn't even gotten an Oscar yet!)

I disagree, How to Train Your Dragon was very good but Toy Story 3 was just brilliant.

Latest movie i've watched is Cedar Rapids starring Ed Helms John C Reilly and Anne Heche, nothing out of this world but a sweet enjoyable indie flick nonetheless. It also features Isiah Whitlock Jr. who plays Clay Davis in The Wire, he doesn't say Sheeeeeeiiiiitttt though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

I disagree, How to Train Your Dragon was very good but Toy Story 3 was just brilliant.

Everybody I knew said it was brilliant, but for me it was the weakest of the Toy Story films (which isn't a bad thing considering they are all very good!). It was very good film, but I enjoyed How to Train Your Dragon a lot more, and would be more inclined to re-watch it over Toy Story 3.

I've only seen Toy Story 3 once, so I should give it another go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Ridley

Toy Story 2 - Better animated but I'll never see what the people who say it's better than the first movie do. Just don't really enjoy it (apart from
    When She Loved Me
    . It's largely the first film with the roles reversed and I much prefer the third film, which uses some of the same ideas as the second but executes them better
    conveyor belt, toy villain, Star Wars reference ;)

Kung Fu Panda 2 - Covered here.

Kung Fu Panda - Wasn't sure when I watched the sequel whether it was better than the first but rewatching the first, it's clearly not. I remember how much of a pleasant surprise KFP1 was when I'd lost faith that Dreamworks would be able to do anything as good as Shrek again. Still love the opening animation and the attention to detail in animating Oogway's shakes and that shot of Tai Lung
    attacking with the flaming blue claws.
    I'd like to know where that
    finger hold
    went in the sequel but
    Po learning mystical, explosive techniques on his own
    doesn't sit well with me. Don't believe it's in his fighting style, if that makes sense.

Sherlock: A Study in Pink
    Sherlock: The Blind Banker - Technically not films but they're 90 minutes each so I'm counting them. Rewatched while waiting for the next three episodes to turn at up some point this year. Really enjoyed the first, the second is the weakest of the first series run which doesn't bode well that the same writer
    is doing the episode based on Holmes and Moriarty's battle to the death

Catch Me If You Can - Always enjoy a good chase. Can't think of anything else to say about it though.

The Kung Fu Karate Kid (2010) - Decent enough remake of the '84 film. It's full of clichés but as a remake it's one of the more palatable for me. Like the homages to the original film (could have done without the
    Great Wall of China
    , don't particular like Jaden Smith in this. He's Will Smith's mini-me and that back talking style just isn't the same from a (kung fu karate) kid. Always good to see Jackie Chan's karate kung fu.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭thebullkf

Ridley wrote: »
    Toy Story 2 - Better animated but I'll never see what the people who say it's better than the first movie do. Just don't really enjoy it (apart from
    When She Loved Me
    . It's largely the first film with the roles reversed and I much prefer the third film, which uses some of the same ideas as the second but executes them better
    conveyor belt, toy villain, Star Wars reference ;)

Kung Fu Panda 2 - Covered here.

Kung Fu Panda - Wasn't sure when I watched the sequel whether it was better than the first but rewatching the first, it's clearly not. I remember how much of a pleasant surprise KFP1 was when I'd lost faith that Dreamworks would be able to do anything as good as Shrek again. Still love the opening animation and the attention to detail in animating Oogway's shakes and that shot of Tai Lung
    attacking with the flaming blue claws.
    I'd like to know where that
    finger hold
    went in the sequel but
    Po learning mystical, explosive techniques on his own
    doesn't sit well with me. Don't believe it's in his fighting style, if that makes sense.

Sherlock: A Study in Pink
    Sherlock: The Blind Banker - Technically not films but they're 90 minutes each so I'm counting them. Rewatched while waiting the next three episodes to turn at up some point this year. Really enjoyed the first, the second the weakest of the first series run which doesn't bode well that the same writer
    is doing the episode based on Holmes and Moriarty's battle to the death

Catch Me If You Can - Always enjoy a good chase. Can't think of anything else to say about it though.

The Kung Fu Karate Kid (2010) - Decent enough remake of the '84 film. It's full of clichés but as a remake it's one of the more palatable for me. Like the homages to the original film (could have done without the
    Great Wall of China
    , don't particular like Jaden Smith in this. He's Will Smith's mini-me and that back talking style just isn't the same from a (kung fu karate) kid. Always good to see Jackie Chan's karate kung fu.

also the bad guy is Jackie's real life son.. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭MungBean

Watched 2012 yesterday and Season of the Witch last night.

2012 was rubbish. Its pure cheese and the writers seem to have made things up as they went along.

Season of the Witch was also pants. The story was the usual lets form a little gang and try to get over there and do something to save the world. The dialogue was atrocious and the whole thing was extremely predictable.

Wouldn't recommend either of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭rednik

Watched the Coen brothers True Grit last night. Enjoyed it, strong performances from the three leads and a good supporting cast. Whether it is better than the Wayne version is debatable. In my opinion it is not, it is no better or no worse but well worth a look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭MungBean

rednik wrote: »
    Watched the Coen brothers True Grit last night. Enjoyed it, strong performances from the three leads and a good supporting cast. Whether it is better than the Wayne version is debatable. In my opinion it is not, it is no better or no worse but well worth a look.

Watched that a while back and was very disappointed. I expected more from the Coen brothers. The three lead performances were good and its a good watch I suppose but dont expect the usual Coen brothers depth to story or characters.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭Jako8

Office Space - Freakin' hilarious. :D Great movie. If you've worked in an office you'll probably relate in some way and if not it's still funny. "What would you do if you had a million dollars?" "Two chicks at the same time" :D 9/10

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,456 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Evangelion 1.11: You Are (Not) Alone.

A second rewatch to gear me up for the delicious Blu-Ray 2.22 that arrived on my doorstep this morning :) And as the marketing hypes up for another certain objectionable giant robot franchise, it came as welcome relief.

Initial disappointment at its lack of alterations from the original has passed and this time around truly appreciated how tightly controlled it is, cutting out much of the excess although also some of the character of Neon Genesis' first hours. But it looks absolutely astounding in HD, every frame crystal clear and inventive. The Angel Designs are astonishing, the action scenes vibrant and energetic. It does feel a bit episodic - basically taking three of the early story arcs from the series and condensing them.

Redrawing the first few hours of such an iconic animation was a bold move, and it does lack a shock or 'wow' factor for fans. But it's still great stuff, and probably the best start for newcomers. Can't wait to see the extended edition of 2.22 - perhaps the finest mainstream anime of recent times, and a truly exciting departure from Neon Genesis - tomorrow :)

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Jako8 wrote: »
    Office Space - Freakin' hilarious. :D Great movie. If you've worked in an office you'll probably relate in some way and if not it's still funny. "What would you do if you had a million dollars?" "Two chicks at the same time" :D 9/10

"wanna come over?"
    "hell naw man you aint fcukin' up my life"

love that movie, as an office worker everything about it is completely true :D

Primer baffling but brilliant, you could give yourself brain damage thinking about the causality effect in it.

great to see How To Train Your Dragon get more love, best non Pixar animated movie in years, Dreamworks best by far as well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭grohlisagod

Into the Wild. Directed by Sean Penn. Excellent, powerful film.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

krudler wrote: »
    great to see How To Train Your Dragon get more love, best non Pixar animated movie in years, Dreamworks best by far as well

Haven't seen How to Train Your Dragon, but what about Coraline, The Secret of Kells or Ponyo? I'd put any of those three, particularly the latter two, on a par with Pixar at their best.

Speaking of non-Pixar animated films that are excellent...

Evangelion 2.22: You Can (Not) Advance

Joy! Can't say enough good things about this film. In fact, the only major negative is the addition of Mari, who hasn't had much of note to do yet and is clearly designed with merchandise in mind. But fanservice is part of the uniquely if overly sexualised Japanese charm of Evangelion, and even the male characters are given moments to please fangirls so at least they're equal opportunity animators :P

Brilliant, epic action sequences. A perfect blend of lighthearted comedy and truly dark material (one of the climactic Angel fights is perhaps one of the most violent, jawdropping moments in all of animation). It all culminates in one of the most astonishingly visceral sequences ever illustrated. It's a cliffhanger ending that means the teaser for 3.0: Quickening at the end of the film is that little bit more taunting. There's two more films of this quality promised - they cannot come soon enough. A remake that genuinely improves upon the excellent original.

Scenes from the Suburbs

Strange short film from Spike Jonze based on Arcade Fire's latest album. There's some nice moments in it alongside some frustrating ones (I think the metaphor of looking up to the sky and seeing a plane is ridiculously overused at this point). It does tie nicely into the themes of isolation, nostalgia and suburban frustration presented by the album, but I was left wondering what the inclusion of a number of tracks from the CD really added. Pretentious, certainly, but has quite a bit of character and ideas for a twenty five minute short, even if some of those are distressingly ambiguous. Not a patch on Jonze's excellent last short I'm Here though!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Nulty

Just watched Once Upon A Time In America for maybe the third time....what a movie.

Leone and Morricone are the best duo film has the privilege to represent.

Haven't seen How to Train Your Dragon, but what about Coraline, The Secret of Kells or Ponyo? I'd put any of those three, particularly the latter two, on a par with Pixar at their best.

seen all of them and I'd still put HTTYD above them, seriously anyone with an interest in animation should watch it, its nice to see a movie with genuine heart in it, reminds me of The Iron Giant in a way, but with moar vikings :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

Nulty wrote: »
    Just watched Once Upon A Time In America for maybe the third time....what a movie.

Leone and Morricone are the best duo film has the privilege to represent.

once upon a time in the west was on film 4 last nite , its even better than once upon a time in america

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

Haze:
    45 minutes of WTF is going on here then?
    4 minutes of ahh here we go...nope.
    Credits.

Still though, some singuilarly defining moments of claustrophobia and one very clever "nails-on-blackboard"-eske scene that's hilariously hard to keep watching.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

what year was this Haze made??

• Registered Users Posts: 43,908 ✭✭✭✭Basq

jaykhunter wrote: »
    Presume it's this one, so 2005?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

jaykhunter wrote: »

Sorry ya, Basq is correct, 2005. Written/directed/starring Shinya Tsukamoto of Tetsuo fame

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement