Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Apt Pupil been meaning for years to watch it finally got around to it tonight, didnt really know what to expect from this film before hand but its a great film and well worht a watch Ian McKellen both give amazing perfomrances in it, id reccommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,313 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

krudler wrote: »
    great to see How To Train Your Dragon get more love, best non Pixar animated movie in years, Dreamworks best by far as well

Haven't seen 'How to train your dragon' yet, but to be honest, from the trailer, I don't want to. Doesn't look that great to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Tony EH wrote: »
    Haven't seen 'How to train your dragon' yet, but to be honest, from the trailer, I don't want to. Doesn't look that great to me.

Ah well you dont what your missing out on, one of the best animated films ive seen in a few years. Do yourself a favour go get a copy sit down and watch it. If you still dont like it you can come back and tell me how wrong I was and im an idiot:D

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

give it a chance, its easily one of the best animated movies this decade, like iron giant good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The Rock (1996) made back when Michael Bay was a byword for subtly (!). A good example of its type but also a good example of all that's wrong with modern headache inducing action cinema. No moment can pass without an exaggerated sound effect and showy camera angle. Why have one explosion when you can have 4 or 5? The smartest moment came in the car chase which starts lame but includes a nice self mocking moment as it winds up to a frantic level of stupidity - the split second with the wheelchair users.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

The Rock is a fine balance of awesome and daftness, love it.

Last week me and the GF watched the LOTR super duper mega ultimate extended editions. Jesus, that was a long haul.

The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly. One of my favourites though the GF doesn't understand why, she thought it was ok.

The Goonies - GF hadn't seen it before and was shocked at how it was a kid's film in regards to the language and it's scary moments. A prime slice of 80's cheese and certainly a film they don't make anymore aimed at kids.

Transformers 3 - Saw it last night in 3D. Much, much better than the last film though it lacked the magic of the 1st. Far too long but the action and CGI were top-notch stuff. Had some good 3D scenes like the sky jump but ultimately I don't think the format will ever win me over.

mike65 wrote: »
    The Rock (1996) made back when Michael Bay was a byword for subtly (!). A good example of its type but also a good example of all that's wrong with modern headache inducing action cinema. No moment can pass without an exaggerated sound effect and showy camera angle. Why have one explosion when you can have 4 or 5? The smartest moment came in the car chase which starts lame but includes a nice self mocking moment as it winds up to a frantic level of stupidity - the split second with the wheelchair users.

I adore The Rock, its stupid action cinema at its finest. Hope Bay goes back to regular non sci-fi themed action films, hasnt made once since Bad Boys 2 and freeway chase aside that was cack.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,978 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

The Man From Nowhere

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1527788/

Savage Korean flick

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

That's exactly how i felt from the trailer and took a chance, thankfully it's actually a great kid's movie. Not quite Shrek 1 but definitely one of the best kid's animations of the last 10 years, imo.

That seems to be a trend these days, the film is better than the trailer - it's usually the opposite way around

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Harrocks

Red Hill an australian modern day western.Its Good but not great
    Wake Wood the 1st hammer horror comback was great gave me an uneasy feeling something that has been missing from horrors of late.Pitty they didnt give it more promotion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭MungBean

Tombstone

Watched it last night. Hadnt seen it in years. Great movie even though I'm not a big Kurt Russell fan. Val Kilmer as Doc Holiday was superb I thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

I liked this alot .............well worth a watch.Reminded me a bit of "The Road" , but lots of action
    Lol..............
    a great scene involving vampires been dropped on townspeople from a helicopter

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

The Big Lebowski. posting while I watch it!
    What a film. Jeff Bridges in the role of his life! Seen it about 4 times now and it still gets funnier every time I watch it, but I cant explain why that is though.

Tried to watch Red Riding Hood but I had to call it quits at 45 mins into it. Both myself and the GF came to the decision that it was just so bad that we couldnt go on with it.

The Town.
    Ben Aflec continues to surprise me when he sits in the director's chair. Even his acting in this is pretty damn good too. Didn't know much about it before hand but it was actually quite enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭johndoe99

I rarely buy a movie without at least watching a trailer first, but this starring Matt Damon, and having the tagline "Bourne Meets Inception", i just bought it. What a superb movie, i usually stay away from any romantic movies, but this just hit me right in the heart, i absolutely loved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

Perrier's Bounty - very enjoyable film with Brendan Gleeson on top form again

127 Hours - disappointed. Didn't like the boyle-esque dream sequences and soundtrack to go along with the interesting story.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Ridley

Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen - Thought the original was on the better side of average. For the sequel I started getting bored after around an hour and a half in. I may be paraphrasing: "At least he's loyal..."
    He just defected! Seconds ago!
    Liked Wheelie and
    Optimus Prime's temporary last stand
    but Fox and LaBeouf became unlikeable plus that airhead mother...

Good that the product placement isn't as in your face (didn't even try to make an Autobot out of that Furby truck from the first movie ;) ) and I appreciate seeing
    the statue of Marcus Brody from Indiana Jones and the etc. Crystal Skull
    . Overall, however, it was detached experience unlike...

How to Train Your Dragon - Largely echoing Krudler and jayk's sentiments. Very good, mature kid's movie.
    Taking the child protagonist's leg was appreciated.
    And Hiccup's left handed if I'm remembering correctly. It wasn't until his
    proper introduction to Toothless with the fish
    that I started getting into it, but yeah, a fun ride. I don't think the plot is better than Shrek (the first) or Kung Fu Panda but it certainly gives the latter's sequel a run for its money in the visuals and score. Great character design too which I don't think the DVD cover captures. Guess it makes sense to sell it that way but the movie is this. Dislike that mainstream traditional 2D animation has been almost abandoned but I'd hold HTTYD as a movie that wouldn't quite work if it wasn't CG. I would have happily sat and watched it if it was all just
    Hiccup and Toothless spending the day together.
    Now why do Viking children grow up to be Scottish? :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

127 hours, good film, bit boring at times tho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 508 ✭✭✭craftypaddy

anuvahood, its a bit of a modern day ali g type thing, if you fancy an easy film that has a good bit of humour check it out
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1658797/
    if your not a fan of london street talk then avoid, my bloods are kotching in my yard ect

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Monsters

Quite possibly the most boring pointless film ever made in the history of mankind iv been more entertained watching birds eye advertisements

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Ridley wrote: »

Ha ha! I didn't want to mention that lol. But it seems ever since Shrek; any big oaf or clan from way back now has a scottish accent. Blame Mike Myers!!

• Advertisement

Ridley wrote: »

How to Train Your Dragon - Largely echoing Krudler and jayk's sentiments. Very good, mature kid's movie.
    Taking the child protagonist's leg was appreciated.
    And Hiccup's left handed if I'm remembering correctly. It wasn't until his
    proper introduction to Toothless with the fish
    that I started getting into it, but yeah, a fun ride. I don't think the plot is better than Shrek (the first) or Kung Fu Panda but it certainly gives the latter's sequel a run for its money in the visuals and score. Great character design too which I don't think the DVD cover captures. Guess it makes sense to sell it that way but the movie is this. Dislike that mainstream traditional 2D animation has been almost abandoned but I'd hold HTTYD as a movie that wouldn't quite work if it wasn't CG. I would have happily sat and watched it if it was all just
    Hiccup and Toothless spending the day together.

ha yeah the Scottish accent thing is weird alright, the scene you mentioned with the fish is when it really starts getting good
    the montage of them becoming friends is well done, i love the bit when Toothless tries to draw Hiccup with a branch and its just a massive squiggle :pac: The music is fantastic in it too, one of my favourite scores last year

speaking of mature kids movies, watched The Dark Crystal for the first time in years last night, awesome,awesome 80s fantasy movie. really hope the planned sequel lives up to it. I'd love to see the full bootleg workprint of the original, when it was concieved the Skeksis were supposed to have their own language and there'd be no subtitles, but it was changed and then a lot of the dialogue was dumbed down, its why the first time you see Jen talking to the dying Mystic he's basically just repeating everything the guy just said, hate pandering to the audience like that, heres a clip from the bootleg with no subtitles and the original dialogue, its brave, gotta give Henson that:

the Skeksis emperor still creeps the bejesus out of me, kids have it too easy these days with movies :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,349 ✭✭✭naughto

went to see transformers 3 to night i liked it a lot

the special effects where out of this world

• Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭Jako8

krudler wrote: »
    speaking of mature kids movies, watched The Dark Crystal for the first time in years last night, awesome,awesome 80s fantasy movie. really hope the planned sequel lives up to it. I'd love to see the full bootleg workprint of the original, when it was concieved the Skeksis were supposed to have their own language and there'd be no subtitles, but it was changed and then a lot of the dialogue was dumbed down, its why the first time you see Jen talking to the dying Mystic he's basically just repeating everything the guy just said, hate pandering to the audience like that, heres a clip from the bootleg with no subtitles and the original dialogue, its brave, gotta give Henson that:

the Skeksis emperor still creeps the bejesus out of me, kids have it too easy these days with movies :pac:

I love this movie. The sets are awesome, the creatures and the look of everything. It's such a well thought out movie. A lot of work went into it too. I mean if you look at all the life along the river bank it's just great. Jim Henson is one of the most imaginative film makers ever. I'm slightly obsessed with his stuff. :p The skeksis are a great of example of properly creepy antagonist. I love when the emperor crumbles into dust and they have a big fight over who'll be Emperor. If you have the DVD watch the 60 minute making of documentary. The pandering is, in my opinion, pretty rare for Jim Henson. I mean he makes kid's movies and shows but never really talks down to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Blood Beat Terror (1966) ultra cheap British horror flick from Tigon staring Peter Cushing who apparently reckoned this his worst film. That sort of appraisal would never put me off and sure enough it was an amusingly hokey 85 mins of zero quality special effects but entertaining dialogue and acting with a cast full of people just about familiar from TV in the 60s/70s/80s. Wanda Ventham is pure sex appeal.

the-blood-beast-terror.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

watched godfather 3 last nite , they say coppola needed the money , makes sense

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,420 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

On my air travels I watched Unknown*, The Fighter, The Adjustment Bureau (second viewing) and something else I'm forgetting. Small screen on the back of a seat is not ideal, but when you can't sleep... * What is it with these Liam Neeson films? Is he trying to bail Ireland out of the recession using his pay checks? It had a fair few familiar faces, including Bruno Ganz.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Kimia

Just watched Precious. Wow. Powerful and very sad stuff. Mo'Nique's performance was breathtaking, you know when you know you're watching someone who is just doing an outstanding job. The film itself was good but her acting was fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭horse7

read so much about bridsmaids i gave it a go,its really terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Just saw Good Will Hunting. My God, it was good! Definitely the best film I've seen since the Oscar nominations at the start of the year. Phenomenal film with a brilliant ending. Loved it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭StonedParadoX

micmacs 10/10 .. This director can do no wrong

a very long engagement 10/10

the blues brothers .. only watched the first 15 mins of it i fell asleep because it was 1 am ill be watching it again soon

Sucker punch.. 4/10 .. the trailers lied about what the film was about

Transformers 3 .. 5/10 .. i hate you bay

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement