Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Die hard with a vengeance.. classic movie

in MY opinion its the only die hard worth a damn, all the rest are ****e

All the rest are shiite, you must be on crack Die Hard is one of the best action films ever made in what way can you justify saying Die Hard is shiite?, the got worse as each sequel came out, not that I dint enjoy two or three, four was crap.

Sorry but Die Hard is up there with the all time greats for me, diff strokes for diff folks I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭LuckyFinigan

Mega Shark vs Giant Octupus-Probally the most ridiculous and disgracefull thing ive ever seen.

Mega Shark vs Giant Octupus-Probally the most ridiculous and disgracefull thing ive ever seen.

I think that was the point of it. No one involved with the film or who watched it expected anything se than 80 minutes of utter nonsense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 marny

Are you serious?
    Mega shark V giant octopus is one of the greatest movies of all time.
    Intelligently written, superbly acted ( giant octopus in particular was excellent) and brilliantly directed.
    There weren't even any eye wateringly ludicrous stunts, or gaping plot holes!
    You clearly just didn't understand the very important message it was trying to send.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

Best film I have seen in ages!!! brilliant performances from all the actors.
    Brendan Gleeson is just brilliant.

John Michael McDonagh has a great future as a director!

highly recommended!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭FlawedGenius

Hereafter starring Matt Damon as a psychic, great film!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,497 ✭✭✭irishgeo

SarahBM wrote: »
    Best film I have seen in ages!!! brilliant performances from all the actors.
    Brendan Gleeson is just brilliant.

John Michael McDonagh has a great future as a director!

highly recommended!

totally agree, brilliant and very funny.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Mugabe & The White African:

Angry, powerful, compelling - the way documentaries should be! Only a euro on iTunes at the moment so well worth checking out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

I watched Stone last night.

Robert De Nero was excellent in it, but the film moved a bit slow for my liking.

Also watched Heat for the first time. (I know!)

Excellent film enjoyed every minute of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Bassboxxx

Hobo with a Shotgun....cheep contrived gore and weirdness without the quality of something like Machete. But it's only 80 mins long so watchable...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

watched 'The Adjustment Bureau" - turned it off half way through, and thats rare for me, I'd watch any auld sh1te, but this is an awful film. I really feel thats an hour I can never get back !

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭Cookie33

watched scarface.. it was ok, it felt long winded at times, kept getting bored although its not my favourite choice of genre's

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

Just finished Monsters

I should probably put this in the unpopular opinions thread but I thought that was brilliant. I remember when it came out the trailer made it look like some war of the worlds paint-by-numbers action flick and happily it was anything but. Without saying too much the "Monsters" here are quite novel and believeable, though they're not the primary focus of this movie, that falls to our two protagonists trying to make their way home around the "infected" zone which those monsters inhabit.

It is very hard indeed to imagine how this was made for roughly a million because it looks very genuine and plausible. When it needs to deliver the goods visually too, there is certainly no shirking or running for the hills, boy it delivers. Some tremendous looking and cleverly constructed scenes are littered throughout this thoughtful little sci-fi/monster flick.

Set over a nicely understated score very reminiscent Soderbergh's Solaris, albeit a softened version of same. I love when those ones pop up and surprise you, the turn-up-for-the-books movies that you're not expecting to like at all but which end up toppling all your preconceived notions of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭rednik

Battle Los Angeles on blu ray. Film is worth a rent and that's all. Reference quality audio to test your sound system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭jefreywithonef

Watched 'Any Given Sunday' and 'Backdraft' in the last couple of days. Both were silly yet entertaining. Was expecting more of the former; the acting was mostly decent but I hated the direction (especially the whole 'let's put on a load of different camera views at once' trick) and the soundtrack, while I thought the big speech was a massive anti-climax, a bit meh if I'm honest. I cringed a few times during 'Backdraft' (should have known what I was in for when the dad winked at the kid at the start) but it was ok, I suppose. Was about to switch off after fifteen minutes but then Robert De Niro came on screen so I stuck with it. Wasn't too convinced by William Baldwin in the lead role but Kurt Russell was ok. As for the score, it was unnecessarily bombastic, would have preferred something more understated.

Also watched The Seventh Seal the other day, which deals with the Black Plague and theology. Pretty great throughout with some amazing cinematography, contained some absolutely beautiful scenes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

The Adjustment Bureau - loved it, great chemistry between the two leads. Much better than Inception tbh. Although it did seem like a feature length episode of Fringe.

FringeObservers.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

In the cheap seats for Mutations (1974) and The Horror of Frankenstein (1970).

The Lincoln Lawyer. Excellent film with Matthew McConaughey at his very best. A very strong supporting cast with Ryan Phillippe also excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭StonedParadoX

Chicken run .. great film for kids

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

rednik wrote: »
    The Lincoln Lawyer. Excellent film with Matthew McConaughey at his very best. A very strong supporting cast with Ryan Phillippe also excellent.

Watched it last week and was a little underwhelmed. Instantly forgettable IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

rednik wrote: »
    adox wrote: »
    Watched it last week and was a little underwhelmed. Instantly forgettable IMO.
    Yeah, I saw it at the cinema and was less than impressed. Courtroom dramas bore me. I've seen every possible variation on them and they are so predictable. There isn't a twist left in the genre that hasn't been done a thousands times before either in film or television.

Yeah, I saw it at the cinema and was less than impressed. Courtroom dramas bore me. I've seen every possible variation on them and they are so predictable. There isn't a twist left in the genre that hasn't been done a thousands times before either in film or television.
    Primal Fear....?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Moster

the prestige is some film boi!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Primal Fear....?
    ...is brilliant, but that was 15 years ago.

I've seen all myself, but I was very impressed with McConaughey. About time he made a decent film. His film choices have been terrible for a while and I just hope he gets better roles in future as he is a good actor when given the chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Watched Ironclad. It's a very good film. Straight up quality.

Plot: A Templar knight and a ragtag group of warriors hold out for months against the hard-fought siege of Rochester Castle in the thirteenth century. Set in the time of King John's signing of the Magna Carta treaty, the group struggles against the King to defend the freedom of their country.

Loads of familiar faces, some scenery gets chewed and the action scenes are the best I've seen in ages. It's messy and it's dark and I recommend it highly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

Shryke wrote: »

Plot: A Templar knight and a ragtag group of warriors hold out for months against the hard-fought siege of Rochester Castle in the thirteenth century. Set in the time of King John's signing of the Magna Carta treaty, the group struggles against the King to defend the freedom of their country.

Loads of familiar faces, some scenery gets chewed and the action scenes are the best I've seen in ages. It's messy and it's dark and I recommend it highly.

Sold. I'm a sucker for a good ol' siege.

IP Man - it was good, but I was expecting a little more. It felt a little disjointed. The highlight was definitely the fight against the Japanese.

Shryke wrote: »

I really loved it in the cinema, dark, gritty and with some great bloody violence. It's let diwn by the attempt at a love plot but over all it's a hell of a good time and well worth a watch. Was gonna pick up the Blu Ray yesterday but saw Conan the Barbarian instead before it's recalled and pulled from stores.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Transformers 3: The Never ending story/ Almost 3 hours of breaking glass.

I enjoyed it on some level but some things about it annoyed me. The effects for the battles between the Autobots and Decepticons were a big improvement from the first two and no longer look like a giant blur bouncing around the screen, but the problem with the Decepticons looking the exact same remains.

The film also jumps annoyingly in places such as
    the attack on Chicago, and Bumblebee going from saving Sam after he kills Starscream to being shown as a prisoner seconds later

Another thing that doesn't work is
    Ironhide's death, in the first two movies the only two Autobot's we are led to be interested in are Bumblebee and Optimus, so something that is supposed to have some kind of impact just comes across as meh. Also couldn't Optimus just bring him back to life using the Matrix???...and if Sentinel Prime planned on betraying the Autobots all along wouldn't it have made sense for him to accept the Matrix when Optimus offered it to him?
    ...I swear I tried to leave my brain at the door.:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement