Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Phony Scott

Godfather Parts 1 & 2. I love the first film, it's a near masterpiece. The bits after Michael's return from Italy seem a disjointed plotwise, but overall it's excellent. I saw Part 2 about eight years ago and found it hard to follow. Not this time though. I now think it's superior to the first film and gives the whole story a really epic feel. I'm looking forward to seeing the 3rd film, even if it is considered the weakest, but that'll be tomorrow night.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,002 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Godfather Parts 1 & 2. I love the first film, it's a near masterpiece. The bits after Michael's return from Italy seem a disjointed plotwise, but overall it's excellent. I saw Part 2 about eight years ago and found it hard to follow. Not this time though. I now think it's superior to the first film and gives the whole story a really epic feel. I'm looking forward to seeing the 3rd film, even if it is considered the weakest, but that'll be tomorrow night.
    I watched all three again in the last week, still digesting them. Don't worry about Part III, just keep its original title in mind: The Death of Michael Corleone. According to Coppola, it was intended to be an epilogue, not a sequel. I like it even more now than I did before, especially the ways it goes in to the history of the Mafia.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Bassboxxx

Infernal affairs: amazing movie well worth a watch even if ya did see The Departed.

Did anyone see IA2 or 3....? anygood?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Bassboxxx wrote: »
    Did anyone see IA2 or 3....? anygood?

Personally, I'd say no! The prequel one (two is it?) is decent but TBH the full sequel was a rare film I just couldn't finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

Watched Borat tonight - brilliant film :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

bnt wrote: »
    I watched all three again in the last week, still digesting them. Don't worry about Part III, just keep its original title in mind: The Death of Michael Corleone. According to Coppola, it was intended to be an epilogue, not a sequel. I like it even more now than I did before, especially the ways it goes in to the history of the Mafia.

The third one, you mean? I haven't seen it yet, but I got the box set a little while ago and want to sit down soon and watch the first two again (and maybe the third if I'm in the mood).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Saw Die Hard 4 (unrated......pffft!) again.

Considering I watched Die Hard 1 not so long ago I kept feeling that this still doesn't belong to the franchise.

On it's own, it's not a bad action movie. Has plenty of set pieces but it could have been very well any kind of Bruce Willis film, just not a Die Hard film. Hokey CGI blood, dubbed in swear words, Justin Long (I can't stand him, anyways), and the not so looming threat of an angry computer nerd.

I was sickened when I saw this in the cinema and the one catchphrase everyone knows from it was cut off to appeal to it's age rating.............then to be shoddily slapped back into the excuse of an "unrated" version.

I know Willis wants to do 2 more films but unless they remember what makes a Die Hard film I won't be interested............unless it's John McClane teamed up with Carl Winslow :pac:
    tumblr_kutgr3Kal21qa2ylwo1_500.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Ironclad, it was ok and is worth seeing. I believe it was out in British & Irish cinemas back in April and the DVD release is this month.
    James Purefoy is made for these type of roles and nobody does hysterical like Paul Giamatti

War of the Roses. I love Danny de Vito!
    Enjoyed this film, it's about ten years since I saw it last but found I was remembering all the different scenes.
    Oh and I thought the dog realy did come to a bad end :eek:
    Luckily they showed him alive & well.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭jcf

The Godfather

Decent film, but overrated in my opinion - its the type of film that everyone
      just thinks they have to like, cos it's a classic, and it's The Godfather so we have to like it - sit back watch it and it's not an amazing film - decent film - but no way does it deserve the 9.2 rating it has on imdb.

- *awaits imminent backlash*

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

I watched House of Fear with my son last night .For such an old film it has a great athmosphere and is still very watchable considering its 60+ years .
      Basil Rathbone has great screen presence.

Lestrade you dumb bastard :D

• Advertisement
    • Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭rednik

Watched Dracula (1931) on Sky classics HD last night. Haven't watched this in years. For a film this old the HD transfer was great. Bela Lugosi was fangtastic.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭johnnycnandy

Somehow allowed myself to be talked into watching the first Transformers movie last night. Probably the worst movie I've ever seen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

Somehow allowed myself to be talked into watching the first Transformers movie last night. Probably the worst movie I've ever seen.

If you thought the 1st one was bad, then never ever EVER watch the 2nd one.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭Cookie33

Watched The Jerk - I'm a fan of Steve Martin but I found this film too weird for me.

seraphimvc wrote: »
      watch Exam (2009), a short but excellent thriller. movie industry needs more writer like that. the actings are fine, and the whole movie only happens in 1 room. smart writing there. enjoyed it very much. every minutes of it are interesting. wish more people know about this little gem!!(:( i just knew it myself...)

Good call
      Watched this tonight

Very intelligent film and well written, the writer deserves a lot of credit
      Takes place all in one room but it'll hold your interest throughout

Definitely recommend this one

I never heard about it before this thread so as you say, it's a hidden gem!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

RopeDrink wrote: »
      Right, my girlfriend keeps demanding I post my 2cents on our recent viewing's so, here goes...

Wait, what! :p

Glad u liked the Guard, I gave it a glowing review (I thought most boardsies enjoyed it despite it's faults :confused:) & my friends who've seen it quite enjoyed it.

Watched Insidious the other night. It starts off with some laughable aged "these title screens are scary" and heavily relies on shock horror; but the film does improve throughout; I just wish it wasn't covered in awful cliches and a really cheap budget. Not for Carl Carlson, or for me either.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Just watched The King of Kong, a documentary about classic arcade gamers focusing on two in particular and their battle for the record for highest score at King Kong. It's hillarious and touching at times and just downright pathetic at others. Overall a very entertaining watch, worth watching alone for self styled gaming legend Billy Mitchell(yes Billy Mitchell) who could only be described as David Brent'esque but with no redeeming qualities whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭IrishIrish

Just watched The King of Kong, a documentary about classic arcade gamers focusing on two in particular and their battle for the record for highest score at King Kong. It's hillarious and touching at times and just downright pathetic at others. Overall a very entertaining watch, worth watching alone for self styled gaming legend Billy Mitchell(yes Billy Mitchell) who could only be described as David Brent'esque but with no redeeming qualities whatsoever.

Watched this myself very recently and would agree with everything you said. Brilliant documentary and been telling everyone I know.

I can't help but think Ben Stillers Character in Dodgeball was based on Billy Mitchell :D

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Mission:Impossible III my favourite of the series by far. Wasn't expecting much from it given the awful MI2 but JJ Abrams brought the series back to being a fun blockbuster. It has Cruise on top form, the team aspect back, cool locations, silly but fun sequences, a likeable female lead and a villain whos an actual threat. The Vatican break in is tremdous fun to watch and the subsequent bridge attack is a phenomenal action sequence, one of the best blockbusters in recent years imo.

Bobby Fischer against the World

Excellent film, expect no less from HBO
      Brilliant man, genius at his craft but he sure had a lot of inner demons! So came across as very arrogant and dislikable.
      A tortured soul

Interesting to see how his world championship game sparked interest internationally.
      TV shows, pundits giving their views and they even showed it live in New York Time Square.

• Advertisement
    • Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

Bridesmaids

a few good laughs, with the obligatory cringe moments. basically the hangover for girls.

best thing about the film - Chris O'Dowd!!! *swoon*

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Chinatown - although the plot is really confusing it's still a brilliant film.
      Insidious - terrible horror film that gradually turns into a comedy (well it did for me).
      After.Life - only worth watching because Christina Ricci is in the nip for half the movie.
      Over The Top- 80s classic with Stallone trying to win an arm wrestling contest and his sons heart.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Skunkle wrote: »
      Tombstone

Watched it last night. Hadnt seen it in years. Great movie even though I'm not a big Kurt Russell fan. Val Kilmer as Doc Holiday was superb I thought.

The greatest actor of all time:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭Manco

Control- a very well done biopic of Ian Curtis, the lead singer of Joy Division. Jesus, I never realised how young he died before I watched it.

Also recently watched Memories of Murder, a Korean serial killer film. It wasn't what I was expecting in many ways, thought there would be more gore and it was almost a black comedy in places in conveying how the South Korean police of the '80s were a dysfunctional, thuggish mess. Loved it though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Cookie33 wrote: »
      Watched The Jerk - I'm a fan of Steve Martin but I found this film too weird for me.

Tell me! I sat down the watch it a while back and I just could not connect with its brand of stupid which was odd as I really like the other Carl Reiner/Steve Martin films including All of Me which most people tend to overlook I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,313 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

mikemac wrote: »
      Good call
      Watched this tonight

Very intelligent film and well written, the writer deserves a lot of credit
      Takes place all in one room but it'll hold your interest throughout

Definitely recommend this one

I never heard about it before this thread so as you say, it's a hidden gem!

Hmmm, not too sure. I watched it too recently after hearing about it here. To be honest it starts off well enough and it was an interesting premise, but it goes off into silly situations eventually and in the end I was unsatisfied. It had me for a lot of the running time, but trailed off badly toward the end, with a terrible punchline.

The "sci-fi" element seemed somewhat tacked on, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭Jako8

Deathstalker - My God was it hilariously awful. :D "Heroes and fools... are the same thing". The dialogue is delivered so awkwardly it's brilliant. Terrible continuity errors (at one point the main villains tattoo mysteriously switches to the other side of his face). Silly plot but good fun all the same. :P Highlight is when some pigman pulls the arm off a guy and starts beating someone with it. 2/10. :p

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Collapse - powerful documentary entirely focused on the musings of radical thinker / conspiracy theorist Michael Ruppert. While some of his ideas are over extreme, they generally have a worrying level of truth to them too. The man himself is a fascinating subject - angry, frustrated, passionate yet also lonely and disillusioned.

Reminded me of the Fog of War with it's tight focus on a fascinating individual. A call to arms (or, more accurately, the land) on one hand, a vivid and heartbreaking portrait of a broken man on the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,437 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

Spies Like Us - starring Chevy Chase. Very funny film about two government employees who believe that they are real spies.

Combat Academy - starring Keith Gordon, Wally Ward and George Clooney. Another comedy about two best friends who are sent to a military academy after too many pranks.

• Advertisement
    • Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Bassboxxx

Harry Brown- I loved it, I was really routing for Harry and they didn't make him into some unbelievable cheesy superheroish character.

It's everything Gran Torino could've and should've been if it had the balls.

This discussion has been closed.
    Advertisement