Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,002 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Finally watched Kubrick's Barry Lyndon this evening: all three hours of it, though I did use the Intermission. So much has been written about the contrast between the sumptuous landscapes and interiors, and the way they were filmed in mostly natural light, versus the cold characters and staging. Some scenes are almost as beautiful as paintings from that Georgian era, and almost as static. There are indoor night scenes shot totally in candlelight, something considered impossible before Kubrick demanded it, and rarely attempted since - the technical challenges involved were immense, and the cinematography was awarded one of the film's four Oscars.

There are only a couple of scenes in which we see any obvious emotion on display, but that's in keeping with the repressive times and the situations in which Barry found himself: as a soldier in two different armies, then as a gambler with a good "poker face", then in the English landed gentry. When tragedy does strike, it's all the more powerful by contrast. I came away wondering whether the character of Barry Lyndon really deserved a movie all about him - but Kubrick's films were never totally about the central character(s) anyway.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

i saw the devil, a revenge film that is packed with gruesome scenes, very good film.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1588170/

+1 on that seen that in the cinema when it was released, while im not usually a horror fan. I did really enjoy it. It was well scripted and something differant and original from most moden horrors which are just about how much gore can we pack in the showing time.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭RoutineBites

Cool Hand Luke. Absolute pleasure to watch, nice score, lovely cinematography, great performances from the cast and best of all an uplifting and thought provoking story.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭rednik

The Adjustment Bureau. Not a lot to recommend here, Damon and Blunt pretty good but the film itself is just boring.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Remake of Arthur. Brand channelling Dudley Moore like an amateur improv hour. Particularly at the start. It trundled along I suppose but struck me as an unnecessary and rather crass remake.

Limitless. I liked the cinematography. Enjoyable if forgettable. I don't really understand why De Niro takes roles like the one he played in this film though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭StonedParadoX

i love you phillip morris

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

i love you phillip morris

Does Philip love you back?:D:D

Watched X Men First Class,good movie and sets the tone for the rest of the X Men movies by explaining their origins and start of the allegiances and subsequent split in the ranks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭grohlisagod

Cool Hand Luke. Absolute pleasure to watch, nice score, lovely cinematography, great performances from the cast and best of all an uplifting and thought provoking story.

Yeah that's exactly how I felt about it. It's not a true classic but a thoroughly enjoyable film with a magnificent performance from Paul Newman.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,104 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Just watched Some Like It Hot again, 10 years since Jack Lemmon died, one of my favorite actors ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

Aside from re-watching Deathly Hallows Part 1 and seeing Part 2 this morning, I saw Max Payne yesterday. I actually quite enjoyed it, the links to the games were well done and fairly subtle in places. Not brilliant by any stretch, but not terrible like I was expecting!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

watched never say never again this evening , still firmly believe its the worst bond ever made by a country mile

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭rednik

Fair game. Excellent drama with Naomi Watts and Sean Penn giving very solid performances. I took a lot of interest in this story when it broke and the film captures it very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭Cookie33

The Last King of Scotland: I had no idea about this film or that it was a true story but it was brilliant. All the actors (leading and supporting) were amazing especially Forrest Whittaker

Million Dollar Baby (again): For me this is an all time classic, Clint Eastwood and Hilary Swank, perfect performances and it never gets old. Loved it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 712 ✭✭✭arsenallegend

Pride and Glory- Decent film about police Corruption in a Irish-American family, Colin farrell shows that he's excellent when playing flawed characters and Edward Norton gives a good performance(but this man could have been a contender). A bit overlong but well worth a watch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

The Hanging Gale

Set in Donegal in Famine times where there is land agitation against the landlords agent.
    Very interesting, it's pretty old filmed back in the 80's I think but Ireland being a small place you'll recognize lots of the actors

All up on youtube, it's two episodes but I'd consider it a film, all one story

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

That was the McGann family beano made in 1995.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭Sweatynutsack

The Rite, Anthony Hopkins as per usual gives a great performance as a excorsist in this film. Pretty creepy to say the least and apparently based on true events. Well made and straght forward

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Bassboxxx

seen CUBE after hearing it been mentioned here a few times..really enjoyed it, defo worth a watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭ronoc 1

saw ironclad recently,very enjoyable movie about a group of knights who are under siege in a castle.it has good action scenes even though there is too much shaky cam in it.good performances from james puerfoy and brian cox.cant understand how this went straight to dvd.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Harrocks

Watched Animal Kingdom over the weekend.This one is a slow burner.Builds tension has some menacing characters who dont do alot ,but by the end you know what they are capable of doing.Have seen some great Aussie movies of late and this is another 8/10.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

Just been to see Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows part 2.
    I really enjoyed it (especially the cheers and claps at the end) I felt it could have been a little bit longer though.

Just about to settle in with Iron Clad. Been dying to see it for ages, missed it in the cinema (it was only on for about a wk) and the post man brought it this morning :)

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭StonedParadoX

I watched Funny Games the Remake by Michael Haneke..

very very good

Just finished Do the right thing. great movie, kept me interested and moved along nicely. some good performances even from Rosie Perez and her squeaky voice:D

RopeDrink wrote: »
    After watching 'Buried' quite a while ago, the fact a movie is based in one room doesn't bother me and isn't something I consider a 'hinderence' on the path to an enjoyable movie. Buried took place in a coffin, entirely, so a whole ROOM? Wow :pac:

Plus, my favourite movie is C.U.B.E which gives the illusion of a huge maze of rooms and yet it was also filmed entirely using one room.

Yeah it was the above post in particular that sealed the deal...I really enjoyed Buried and was intrigued how they were gonna keep me interested with the one man one box setting. So CUBE was the next step...Thanks;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Cybertink

Shawshank redemption...

The green mile...

The butterfly effect...

the sixth sense...

A beautiful Mind....

Leon...

these are a few of the films ive seen recently and will watch again :D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Up: Felt it lacked some of the Pixar magic and wouldn't receive nearly as much praise if it had been a dreamworks movie. As usual it looks great but just lacks something...and Russel must be one of the most annoying characters I can think of.

Avatar The Last Airbender: I dunno if being a fan of the TV series was helpful or took away from the experience of this. Knowing from the TV show what they were aiming for I was able to fill in the obvious gaps in the storyline, but maybe not knowing may have made the film stronger.

As it is I think it's the worst adaptation since Street Fighter. It's pretty much just a few key points from the series
    joined together but not linked very well. The main problem is that the pieces they cut out are what makes the series so enjoyable, aang's sense of fun is completely lost as is most of the shows humour. The fight scenes and movements used by the benders doesn't translate to the movie and the fights just come across a sloppy and slow...and the less said about the finale the better.

Fanboys: had been on the lookout for a copy of this for a while and finally caught it on sky last week. I am a star wars geek and thoroughly enjoyed all the references and cameo's, my girlfriend isn't but still enjoyed the movie. You can tell exactly how it is going to play out but it's still enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Body of Lies. I liked it, second time viewing. Plot is cluttered in places but overall, a good display. Leonardo DiCaprio is brilliant in nearly everything he touches.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭Jako8

Labyrinth - It's about a girl who, essentially, grows up but keeps that inner child deep inside her. You'd know Henson was involved with that script because that's pretty much what he aims to bring out in any adult when they watch his material. It's a great movie, with set in a brilliantly designed world. It's got that cheesy 80's charm too. I don't know whether I prefer this or The Dark Crystal out of two Froud/Henson collaborations. I think the creatures that inhabit this world are far more realistic and varied but the Skeksis are the creepiest. Either way you'll be sucked straight into this, the world has such striking and vivid imagery. Great stuff. -8.5/10

I must add, the most memorable image will probably be eh... David Bowie's... "package". :P It should've got a supporting credit it's so prominent.

Inception - Watched for the 3rd time only getting my head around it now :o

Funny Games Us - Found it terribly boring tbh

Memento - Excellent film, constantly had me thinking

Watchmen - Thought this was really enjoyable

Harry Potter: Deathly Hallows P2 - Loved it :D

Crushproof - Takes me back to my childhood watching this (I mean me as a child watching this film) funny stuff!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Andre80Johnson

The Trip - Starring Rob Brydon and Steve Coogan as two friends who go across N.England to do some cuisine tasting because Steve has a job to write about them (the food & restaurant) and along the way the verbally spar with each other and do imitations of different actors. Such a wonderful film. Highly recommend it. I never really liked Coogan all that much except for his cameo in Coffee & Cigarettes but Brydon, really talented with his facial expressions and comedic timing.

Harry Potter: Deathly Hollows Part Two 2D - To be honest I didn't really know what to expect, I've never read the books and only saw the other films in the last year. The one thing I was surprised was
    Snapes death
    but the action was decent, some nice visual shots in there. The acting was a bit meh. So overall it's a good film.

Once in a Lifetime: The extraordinary story of the New York Cosmos - Documentary about the rise and fall of the New York Cosmos and the NASL. I've always been interested in the Cosmos due to the history they have. Worth a watch if you're into american soccer. A few decent interviews (some being proper douchebags) here and there followed by some cheesy 70s music. It's not all about the Cosmos, but about NASL too. Only person missing from the interviews is
    Pele
    which is a shame.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement