Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Thank you for Smoking

Really liked it thought it was really well put together

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

The Secret in their Eyes (El secreto de sus ojos) - There are very few movies that I would describe as a masterpiece, but this is pretty damn close!! A must see.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭jcf

The Secret in their Eyes (El secreto de sus ojos) - There are very few movies that I would describe as a masterpiece, but this is pretty damn close!! A must see.

It was good allright, but that main character was a f*cking chump - as if
    the woman would leave her husband and kids for that chump....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

Horrible Bosses - It seems to be getting mid-range, three-star reviews, which I'd agree with.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 43,908 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Have this set to record on Sky tonight..

.. been meaning to see it.

God bless 2 months of free Sky Movies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,002 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I'm trying to see classic films that I've never seen before, courtesy of the library at my university. My definition of "classic" is quite loose, but so is the library's. Tonight: A Fistful of Dollars. The overdubbing is hilarious: even a cat's meow is overdubbed, and the 6-year-old kid sounds about 20. :pac: But it's a good story, told well, with a unique visual style.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

dubbing on spaghetti westerns is where half the charm lies

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

A Fistful... is IMO the weakest of the trilogy, but still great. Just seems a bit pointless after watching Yojimbo. But the next two films are sublime. For a Few Dollars More might be one of the most entertaining films ever made, and The Good... is as definitive a take on the genre as you'll find.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

watched the lovely bones this evening

muck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

Saw The Happening last night, and as a fan of SyFy (so sue me:p) and their type movies, I loved it. I read M. Night intended it to be an excellent B-movie as opposed to a great A-lister, and thoroughly think he accomplished it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25 ciarabarry

watched dead man walking - really good movie, susan sarandon and sean penn are very good in it :) watching invictus now like it so far, how can you not love anything morgan freeman to be honest!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

[REC] - Really enjoyed this movie, found it to be a nice change of pace from other zombie-like movies

Exam - Followed the advice of people here to watch it, and really enjoyed it. Fantastic writing, would recommend it in a heartbeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭Jako8

My Name is Bruce - An ode to the man himself, directed by the man himself. :p I thought the monster in this film looked pretty damn cool and there are some pretty funny parts throughout too. Ted Raimi is great in this, he plays 3 characters. The plot does forward itself conveniently throughout (Bruce knows where the amulet was taken from despite not being told) and the ending is a bit anti-climactic (although it's pretty funny). Overall I enjoyed it. 7/10 Worth watching for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

Daemos wrote: »
    Saw The Happening last night, and as a fan of SyFy (so sue me:p) and their type movies, I loved it. I read M. Night intended it to be an excellent B-movie as opposed to a great A-lister, and thoroughly think he accomplished it.
    I don't understand this? Surely your attitude when making a film is to try to make it into a brilliant and successful film, and not aim towards a "second best", B-movie?

• Registered Users Posts: 39 golgi

The Lovely Bones...............oh my over two hours of my life I will never get back.............what a load of kak !!!!

Dman001 wrote: »
    I don't understand this? Surely your attitude when making a film is to try to make it into a brilliant and successful film, and not aim towards a "second best", B-movie?
    I see your point, but on the other hand, trying to make what should be a B-movie into a blockbuster can be disasterous. Look how bad Skyline was. Marketed as a blockbuster when it was anything but, resulting in it doing terribly. Yes, obviously anyone involved in a movie will want it to do well, but sometimes aiming a bit lower and doing well is better than aiming too high and failing.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I see your point, but on the other hand, trying to make what should be a B-movie into a blockbuster can be disasterous. Look how bad Skyline was. Marketed as a blockbuster when it was anything but, resulting in it doing terribly. Yes, obviously anyone involved in a movie will want it to do well, but sometimes aiming a bit lower and doing well is better than aiming too high and failing.

look at stuff like Piranha, it knows exactly what it is and did it brilliantly. tits blood and jokes, nothing more.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭jcf

A fistfull of dollars ? why is that dubbed ? isn't it in English originally ?

+1 for The Lovely Bones - absolute TWADDLE ....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

jcf wrote: »
    The main actors were speaking English, but everyone else was speaking Spanish, Italian or whatever their native language was. No live sound was recorded, so all the sound including dialogue had to be created in post-production. Eastwood kept track of any dialogue changes he made on set because otherwise nobody would know what he said when they came to record the dialogue.

That was just how Italian films were made at the time. It was easier and cheaper than using live sound. And since the films went all over the word, it didn't really matter what language the actors were speaking since it could just be dubbed.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,002 ✭✭✭✭bnt

jcf wrote: »
    It was originally in "no language", actually - made on the assumption that all dialogue would be added later in post-production. It was shot in Spain by an Italian director and crew, with a few German actors in there too - and those were the first three markets. It wasn't dubbed in to English until more than a year later, at which point it was a good thing Clint had been keeping notes on what he actually said on set.

I'm going to get For A Few Dollars More next, of course - call it my Secondary level filmic education. :cool:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Watched RocknRolla last night

Not Guy Ritchies best film but I still liked it - some very funny moments in it

The best thing about it was the casting - Mark Strong, Tom Hardy, Tom Wilkinson etc. were very good in it imo

The main actors were speaking English, but everyone else was speaking Spanish, Italian or whatever their native language was. No live sound was recorded, so all the sound including dialogue had to be created in post-production. Eastwood kept track of any dialogue changes he made on set because otherwise nobody would know what he said when they came to record the dialogue.

That was just how Italian films were made at the time. It was easier and cheaper than using live sound. And since the films went all over the word, it didn't really matter what language the actors were speaking since it could just be dubbed.

so in the leone movie , once upon a time in the west , are the american actors the only ones speaking english , is the busty italian actress speaking her native tongue

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Cardinale? No, she was speaking English as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

Good film IMO and based on a true story .Michael Douglas and Val Kilmer are in top form in this film.Well worth a watch.
    The film is based on a true story and during the construction of the bridge, the lions would enter the workers camp to kill. Believing them not to be real lions, the locals name them 'The Ghost' and 'The Darkness'. After losing dozens of workers to the lions, the railroad company brought in Remington, an American 'great white hunter', to kill them, but even his reputation for being the best could not prevent yet more carnage. It is believed that over 130 people were killed by the two lions in just a few months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Cheating a little here, as I won't be watching it again until tonight, but while we are on 'Westerns' - "A Fistful of Dynamite" (1971) aka as "Duck you Sucker". It has everything - action, violence, guns, trains, a great historical plot and even an Irish connection. Oh and I almost forgot, two of the best action movie actors to ever grace the screen - Rod Steiger and James Coburn.

The plot: An IRA explosives expert on the run in Mexico meets an amoral Mexican bandit; together they get drawn into the Mexican revolution. Another masterpiece directed by Sergio Leone.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,313 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

I wonder if M Knight Shamalangadingdong said this AFTER the crap reviews and ratings came out.

BTW, B-Movies are supposed to be cheap second features, not multi-million dollar budgeted studio projects.

Tony EH wrote: »
    I wonder if M Knight Shamalangadingdong said this AFTER the crap reviews and ratings came out.
    You'd think so, but he actually said it a week before it came out: http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/movies/2008/06/08/2008-06-08_shyamalan_back_on_terror_firma.html#ixzz0OlGyryDS

A week before the film opened but months after test audiences slated the film.

I enjoyed all his films up to the Happening, even Lady in the Water which I think got something of a raw deal from critics though casting himself in the role he did properly didn't help. The Happening was one of the most excruciating dull cinema going experiences of my life, it was the cinematic equivalent of reading the phone book but less interesting. The Last Airbender managed to be even worse. Saw some of it again over the weekend and was reminded of just how poor it is. The cast got slated for their poor acting but no one could have done anything with the frankly awful dialogue they had to work with. Much like Guy Ritchie and Paul Thomas Anderson he's a film maker should should only direct from other peoples scripts.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,313 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

IMO, he had one good film in him (al la Tarentino) and has yet to equal it.

• Advertisement

Cardinale? No, she was speaking English as well.

i perfered the idea of her speaking italian for some reason , terrific woman

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement