Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭Jako8

Puppet Master: Axis of Evil - Dire. Boring. Bad acting. 2/10

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Gimme_Da_Gold

Ginger Snaps (2000) - one of the best werewolf movies ever done in my option.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,278 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Ginger Snaps (2000) - one of the best werewolf movies ever done in my option.

Thats a great film, I remember seeing it in the cinema and being really surprised by it. Not seen the sequels but heard they're muck.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Just watched American History X there with the girlfriend. She'd never seen it before. Fantastic film. Hadn't seen it in years too.

She asked me "Was this the film with the scene where
    someone's head gets smashed against a curb"
    , literally 1 minute before that very scene started about an hour into the film.
    I grunted back at her, trying not to give it away that it was about to be shown. She was pretty shocked really. Still pretty shocking imagery, I have to admit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭grohlisagod

Just watched American History X there with the girlfriend. She'd never seen it before. Fantastic film. Hadn't seen it in years too.

, literally 1 minute before that very scene started about an hour into the film.
    I grunted back at her, trying not to give it away that it was about to be shown. She was pretty shocked really. Still pretty shocking imagery, I have to admit.

Quality film. There are numerous scenes and images that stay with you long after watching it. I'd imagine it's the role that got Edward Norton the part in Fight Club. Got a very similar vibe from him in both films.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Absolutely love that film probably my favourite film of all time. It hits the right spots on so many levels reallytakes you on an emotional roller coaster of a ride youll be laughing one second and shockingly depressed the next:o. It was quite shocking in parts though.

Dinner For Schmucks: Was ok nothing special and I wouldnt be rushing out to watch it again. Not really big fan of Steve Carel always seems to play the same stupid doofus in a lot of his films and never really in a likeable way either. Neither would I be a big fan of Paul Rudd either seems to created his own little niche of incredibly ordinary but kinda whiney man in the roles that he plays.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Watched Wonder Boys last night with Michael Douglas, Tobey Maguire & Robert Downey Jr. - wasn't too gone on it tbh, it was funny in parts and well written but overall I didn't really like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭Shreddingblood

Quality film. There are numerous scenes and images that stay with you long after watching it. I'd imagine it's the role that got Edward Norton the part in Fight Club. Got a very similar vibe from him in both films.
    Yeah he should have one the oscar for American History X. It's definitely in my top 3 films of all time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Gimme_Da_Gold

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Thats a great film, I remember seeing it in the cinema and being really surprised by it. Not seen the sequels but heard they're muck.

I saw them all, I like them but the first will always be the best. Which happens in most cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭Ricardo G

The Lovely Bones, was near forced to watch it on Sunday night with my OH, and i actually really enjoyed it tbh, a bit long but an easy watch

Law abiding citizen, good show but very predictable :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭looky loo

Foreign film...best I've seen this year would have to be 'Incendies', it will rattle your brain afterwards..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

I've just watched Submarine.It reminded me a lot of Quadrophenia and the lead lad is the love child of Alex Turner and Phil Daniels.Then at the credits it says "songs by Alex Turner".

Still a lovely film though.....and impressive given it's a first film for Moss from the IT Crowd.....who is known more for his IT skills than film making.

In fact in that show he has never shown an interest in film making.Which makes the film better.

But not as good as Quadrophenia.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Dinner For Schmucks: Was ok nothing special and I wouldnt be rushing out to watch it again. Not really big fan of Steve Carel always seems to play the same stupid doofus in a lot of his films and never really in a likeable way either. Neither would I be a big fan of Paul Rudd either seems to created his own little niche of incredibly ordinary but kinda whiney man in the roles that he plays.

Just on this point about Steve Carel - could get slated for this but I kinda want to see the chick flick he's in that's coming out soon - Crazy, Stupid, Love.

I know it's a chick flick but I saw a review recently that said Carel wasn't just his usual funny/stupid character and was good in it....would like to see that because he is capable of it imo

Also Emma Stone is in it :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,420 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Chinatown, first viewing. Knew nothing about it other than Jack Nicholson is in it and found it quite intriguing. More like this, please.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Just started watching Gasland. 25 minutes in, and I'm shocked. Honestly shocked. As a geologist, this is incredibly interesting at the same time.

Um,
    flammable tap water
    anyone? :eek::confused::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,313 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Total Film had the top 20 most violent films on its site a while ago so I am making it through the films I havent seen. Last night was Cannibal Holocaust, suprisingly good film. Thought it was going to be complete muck but apart from the god awful soundtrack it was very good.

I can also see why the director was arrested as soon as he stepped off the plane when he landed back in Europe!

The soundtrack is fantastic! Riz Ortolani's score is as creepy as fu*k!!! Suits the film perfectly.

Maybe it was 'Cannibal Ferox' you were watching instead. ;):D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

Total Film had the top 20 most violent films on its site a while ago so I am making it through the films I havent seen. Last night was Cannibal Holocaust, suprisingly good film. Thought it was going to be complete muck but apart from the god awful soundtrack it was very good.

I can also see why the director was arrested as soon as he stepped off the plane when he landed back in Europe!

redicolous list , the wild bunch is number one ?

training day is in there , its no more violent than any 18 rated cop movie

no robocop , no total recall

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

Stake Land, a post-apocalyptic movie with vampires instead of zombies. It's gotten some decent reviews but I found it fairly bland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

No it was the original, was watching it with mates who are film buffs but also top notch musicians and they were cringing at the score. Some of it was ok but some of it (the awful synth drums being a highlight) was terrible. Great film overall though!

Re: the list I think it was meant as the top 20 violent films that you have never seen perhaps? I mean who hasnt seen Total Recall? If you havent I do want to know you :)

the wild bunch isnt especially violent

• Registered Users Posts: 6,369 ✭✭✭xtal191

Wheres Ichi The Killer on that list?? Pretty awful list.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭grohlisagod

Chinatown, first viewing. Knew nothing about it other than Jack Nicholson is in it and found it quite intriguing. More like this, please.

Top film. Love the ending. Jake Giddies is one of the most stylish male protagonists I've seen. You could watch the sequel The Two Jakes. Never seen it but its supposed to be good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Decided to watch a bit of Wesley Snipes
    Saw White Men can't jump which he was excellent in, realy enjoyed this and it's over a decade since I saw it last

New Jack City
    Pretty dark but ok. Was worth watching

Bridesmaids
    For a chic flick I liked it :) Pretty funny
    I've seen quite a bit of Rose Byrne with the different series of Damages but I didn't recognize her at all, only when I saw the credits did I realize it was her. Looked so different.
    But just as the Hangover was overhyped, this one is getting a bit too much hype also. But decent
    Chris O'Dowd from Roscommon, that must explain the strange accent :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭jcf

The Adjustment Bureau - Twaddle....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Lakeview Terrace.

Was on RTE last night so decided to give it a spin. Not bad, decent enough. Prett good dialogue and Sam Jackson palys a blinder.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

tunguska wrote: »
    Lakeview Terrace.

Was on RTE last night so decided to give it a spin. Not bad, decent enough. Prett good dialogue and Sam Jackson palys a blinder.

Class film.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

Watched the film Red last night. I thought it was good.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Mission Impossible 3. Great fun, one of the best action films around. It's non-stop going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Mission Impossible 3. Great fun, one of the best action films around. It's non-stop going.

Didn't even know that there had been a 2nd one! The first one was rubbish - is this really better? As someone old enough to have watched the original TV series I was appalled by the first movie but I suppose what can you expect of anything with Tom Cruise in it. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

Didn't even know that there had been a 2nd one! The first one was rubbish - is this really better? As someone old enough to have watched the original TV series I was appalled by the first movie but I suppose what can you expect of anything with Tom Cruise in it. :D
    The three of them are surprisingly different for a franchise. If you're not a fan of Cruise action movies though, there's not much point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

irishh_bob wrote: »
    the wild bunch isnt especially violent

for a film made in the 60's it is, especially the last shootout,its got plenty of blood flying

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement