Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

Saw The Other Guys last night. Dunno why I didn't see it sooner, it has to be one of the funniest films of 2010!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Mr. K wrote: »
    Saw The Other Guys last night. Dunno why I didn't see it sooner, it has to be one of the funniest films of 2010!

I didnt think it was amazing but it had its moments, "aim for the bushes" was one of the most surreal comedy moments in ages :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Birdemic: Shock and Terror. Budget of less than $10,000, hilarious B movie! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Didn't even know that there had been a 2nd one! The first one was rubbish - is this really better? As someone old enough to have watched the original TV series I was appalled by the first movie but I suppose what can you expect of anything with Tom Cruise in it. :D

There's three films, all equally different. I think 3's the best of the lot.

If you can leave out your dislike of Cruise, it's one of the finest action movies around. The bridge scene is especially enjoyable.

I admit I'm not a fan of the first, but it's still good. MI3 is the best for me though.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭MiloYossarian

Submarine

Really enjoyable film with a unique voice at the centre of it. Will look forward greatly to anything the writer/director does in future.

Lymelife,
    last night. Really enjoyable film with a unique voice at the centre of it. Joke. It's really good. Kieron Culkin has been very good in everything I've seen him in recently.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

lake mungo

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0816556/

its not great.kept waiting for something to happen and nothing ever did.would have been good if it were a true story maybe but it isnt.

the shrine

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1341710/

in a word, rubbish.been done before and not worth the effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭DeadlyTwig

Mr. K wrote: »

I agree. I begrudgingly agreed to watch it with the other half and actually laughed the whole way through. Brilliant movie.

I watched red dragon last week.......fantastic movie!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

DeadlyTwig wrote: »
    I watched red dragon last week.......fantastic movie!
    You should watch the original, Man Hunter. So much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Lupine

Unknown with Liam Neeson.
    Complete rubbish and some of the acting was terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭Shreddingblood

Submarine

Really enjoyable film with a unique voice at the centre of it. Will look forward greatly to anything the writer/director does in future.

I didn't see it but I know the guy who directed it is Moss from the IT Crowd. Intersting that your'e not the only person I heard saying he did a good job. I'm looking foreward to seeing it now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

I didn't see it but I know the guy who directed it is Moss from the IT Crowd. Intersting that your'e not the only person I heard saying he did a good job. I'm looking foreward to seeing it now.
    He's just an actor on that show. He had creative input into the hysterical madness that was Garth Marenghi's Darkplace though.

You should, it's really good. If you ever saw an interview with that guy that directed it, (can't spell his real name) it's almost as if he took a picture of who he is as a person and put it on screen. I always like that in films. The only other person, that I can think of at the moment that does that so well is Wes Anderson.
    I'm not saying that you would look at Submarine and say, 'Is that a Wes Anderson film?' I'm just saying that it is very unique and distinct.

Saw Captain America and The Trip today.
    Both are really good in different ways. Was surprised that I didn't think Captain America was total drocking crapola. Setting a superhero film in the forties worked really well.

And after I watched American Grindhouse. It wasn't as good as I wanted it to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭afrodub

Iron Man 2 is a great follow up and family movie if you liked the first one,Robert Downey Jr has great screen presence and IMO is one of The greatest modern times actors..Rating 8/10

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

afrodub wrote: »
    Iron Man 2 is a great follow up and family movie if you liked the first one,Robert Downey Jr has great screen presence and IMO is one of The greatest modern times actors..Rating 8/10
    Strongly disagree....wasn't a good follow up imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

tunguska wrote: »
    Lakeview Terrace.

Was on RTE last night so decided to give it a spin. Not bad, decent enough. Prett good dialogue and Sam Jackson palys a blinder.
    teednab-el wrote: »
    Class film.

I get so many suggestion from this thread

Decided to check this one out and it is indeed a class film.

Samuel L Jackson in usual top form

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Just watched The Happening for the first time and if its aim was to make me want to kill myself then it succeeded. WTF was he thinking when he wrote that crap? Wtf was Wahlberg thinking when he started talking to a plant?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Just watched The Happening but unlike MagicMarker I enjoyed its absurdist tendencies, the scene where Wahlberg realises he's attempting to reason with a plastic plant is hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,908 ✭✭✭✭Basq

mike65 wrote: »
    Just watched The Happening but unlike MagicMarker I enjoyed its absurdist tendencies, the scene where Wahlberg realises he's attempting to reason with a plastic plant is hilarious.
    lemon-drink.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,002 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I'm watching the documentary Joan Rivers: A Piece Of Work. She certainly is a piece of work. She's nuts: 75 years old, doing gigs in dives and flying out to the darkest Wisconsin. Dealing with a furious audience member after making a joke about deaf kids, then getting the audience back with a joke about Osama bin Laden on dialysis* :pac:

The story is really watching how Joan deals with the modern world - sometimes it doesn't work, but she understands Blackberries, blogs and Twitter, and goes on Celebrity Apprentice and wins. Even with that success putting her back on the magazine covers, she knows that it never lasts. Still, it's a living ...

* "How hard can it be to find the guy? He's on dialysis, and there's one power outlet in Afghanistan. Just find it and follow the cord ..."

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Bassboxxx

Shinobi.......Not bad at all...even tho I realised after 20 mins I had seen it before. You can work out easy enough what's gonna happen but it still kept me interested. Good fighting scenes with all sorts of magic and flying stuff going on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

mikemac wrote: »
    I get so many suggestion from this thread

Decided to check this one out and it is indeed a class film.

Samuel L Jackson in usual top form

Cant stand him in recent years, just plays himself in everything, at least in the 90s he used to act, now hes just Sam Jackson in every movie.The may as well call Marvels next movie The Avengers:With Guest Host Samuel L Jackson!

Just watched The Happening for the first time and if its aim was to make me want to kill myself then it succeeded. WTF was he thinking when he wrote that crap? Wtf was Wahlberg thinking when he started talking to a plant?

Funny

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

Get Him To The Greek:

I didn't realise this was a spin off from Forgetting Sarah Marshal before watching it. Brand can be hilarious, and I enjoyed Forgetting Sarah Marshal but Get Him To The Greek just wasn't funny at all. A big let down.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

krudler wrote: »
    Cant stand him in recent years, just plays himself in everything, at least in the 90s he used to act, now hes just Sam Jackson in every movie.The may as well call Marvels next movie The Avengers:With Guest Host Samuel L Jackson!

I agree. The last decent movie he made in which he had a big part was Jackie Brown.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,278 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I agree. The last decent movie he made in which he had a big part was Jackie Brown.

I liked Black Snake Moan.

Watched Greenberg the other day, more serious role for Ben Stiller. I enjoyed it, definitley Baumbach's best work since The Squid and the Whale. I thought Greta Gerwig was really good in it too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I thought Greta Gerwig was really good in it too.

Ah Greta; my mumblecore crush until I discovered Kate Dollenmayer. Greta's still great though - check out her performances in House of the Devil and Baghead if you haven't seen them already, both great fun. Damn shame to see her relegated to the remake of Arthur recently (and half tempted me to go and see it until common sense kicked in) - she deserves better roles.

Watched The New World in the IFI today to round out a 'modern Malik' binge. After Thin Red Line last week, it stood out that TNW is pretty much a reimagining of the themes and ideas of the previous film. That's no bad thing - the themes of man's complex relationship with nature are particularly fruitful (har har) here. Gorgeously photographed, and James Horner's score is powerful stuff. It's simple almost to a fault - I'd admit the pacing in the second half is a bit messy. But I didn't really care, as the rest of the film is pretty intoxicating on many levels - the opening sense of discovery and Smith's sojourn in the native village are wonderfully poetic. Farrell's accent is distracting, but Q'orianka Kilcher is beguiling (and only fourteen here :eek: - such a shame she's been largely absent since). A great film to see in the cinema though, and I'm pretty firmly a Malik fan at this point. Still have to investigate his 70s films, but based on his contemporary stuff there are few out there who can marry visuals, audio and almost mystical themes with such power. Nice to see him a little less (only a little!) distracted by wavy grass here though :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Fantasia - dated Disney cartoon about classical music.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,278 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Nolanger wrote: »
    Fantasia - dated Disney cartoon about classical music.

When I was a kid I used to fast forward to the Dinosaur bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,313 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

RopeDrink wrote: »
    Let's see:

Other half was in a big rush so just grabbed two movies she thought would appeal - Ended up being "Source Code" and "The Eagle" but the chap in XtraVision ended up giving her 'Unknown' in "The Eagle" case which is a bit lame considering we had seen that already but we weren't near the place when we realised it so stuck it out anyways.

Unknown, well... Thought it was alright - Lopsided twist that doesn't sit well with the slightly interesting concept of stolen identity even if delivered in totally hammy and corny fashion... "Do you know what it's like to become insane, Doctor?" and other such facepalm worthy lines litter it ontop of Liam Neeson spending a solid 20mins rambling on about how he is who he says he is. Not the worst movie ever but certainly not great.

Source Code... Well, I enjoyed it - The other-half was absolutely bewildered by it, however. Felt a bit empty but JGlynnenhal (However you spell it) was watchable at least. Corny ending but otherwise just mindless fun.

'The Eagle' isn't much to write home about, so you didn't miss much.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The Bank Job, not bad. Off to do some googling and see if the dirt can be dug.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement