Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,002 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Nolanger wrote: »
    Fantasia - dated Disney cartoon about classical music.
    That's one film that I've never seen - I should find it somewhere. If it's anything like the following deleted scene, I think I'll like it:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Bassboxxx

Your Highness.....

Probably the worst piece of crap I've ever seen...I dunno what type of laughs they were going for but they missed......badly....

And this weapon of a movie was in the cinema....I'd cry if I paid cash to see this:mad: . It didn't look too cheap a production either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭stiffler123

Bassboxxx wrote: »
    Your Highness.....

Probably the worst piece of crap I've ever seen...I dunno what type of laughs they were going for but they missed......badly....

And this weapon of a movie was in the cinema....I'd cry if I paid cash to see this:mad: . It didn't look too cheap a production either.

Ya it was a big let down. I was expecting the next Princess Bride after I saw the trailer. Not to be though, just terrible.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,278 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Just watched White Men Can't Jump, had never seen i before, was pretty enjoyable. Woody Harrelson seems to have been the same age for as long as I can remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

Saw collateral damage there the other night.

The film is quite good but the scene where a coral/milk snake is put down a mans throat is absolutetly sick and cruel. What a unbearable thought.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

The Mist (b&w version) love this movie, its ending is divisive, a real love it or hate it, but I love the film itself. its cool how watching the b&w version makes it a 50s B-movie, and watching the colour version its more like a 70s explotation film, the cgi works much better in the b&w version though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Alien - I had only caught bits of the film before so last night I watched it for the first time from start to finish on blu ray. It really lives up to the hype and looks beautiful in HD. I can only imagine what it was like to see this in the cinema when it came out. 5/5 stars

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,278 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

krudler wrote: »
    The Mist (b&w version) love this movie, its ending is divisive, a real love it or hate it, but I love the film itself. its cool how watching the b&w version makes it a 50s B-movie, and watching the colour version its more like a 70s explotation film, the cgi works much better in the b&w version though.

Is that the recent remake you're on about? I've not got round to watching it yet, only saw the old one, didn't realise there was a B&W version.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

I ended up watching one of the gf's films last night. Had been dodging that bullet for a long time and ended up watching Burlesque. What a travesty of a film. Cher and Christina Auguilera's acting was brutal. Stanley Tucci and Kirsten Bell were the best things about the film, and that really isn't saying much.
    Let's see how long I'll be able to go without watching another one of her brutal films. She's trying to get me to watch The Notebook. :rolleyes:

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Is that the recent remake you're on about? I've not got round to watching it yet, only saw the old one, didn't realise there was a B&W version.

Are you thinking of The Fog? The Mist isnt a remake but an adaptation of a Stephen King novella. It's a stunning piece of cinema with one of the most effective endings in the history of cinema.

• Advertisement

Are you thinking of The Fog? The Mist isnt a remake but an adaptation of a Stephen King novella. It's a stunning piece of cinema with one of the most effective endings in the history of cinema.

Sorry you're exactly right.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Mickeroo wrote: »

its the same 2007 movie but theres a b&w version on the 2 disc dvd, its the way Frank Darabont wanted it, makes the cgi much better too it looks awful in the colour one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Blackboard jungle - Rock around the clock was the theme song and it was the first major teacher vs students movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭yogidc26

I watched Hall Pass last night :( not great at all

• Registered Users Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Just watched Seraphim Falls, enjoyed it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭Shreddingblood

Captain America = absolute arse gravy. Don't even bother.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

yogidc26 wrote: »
    I watched Hall Pass last night :( not great at all

Going to watch this tonight.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Hall Pass is one of the most deplorable pieces of crap I've ever watched (wasn't my choice, alas). It's one of the few films I have nothing at all positive to say about. Junk of the lowest order.

Hall Pass is one of the most deplorable pieces of crap I've ever watched (wasn't my choice, alas). It's one of the few films I have nothing at all positive to say about. Junk of the lowest order.

If you only saw the theatrical cut then that's a positive, I endured the extended cut and felt the will to live slip away within the first 15 minutes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

If you only saw the theatrical cut then that's a positive, I endured the extended cut and felt the will to live slip away within the first 15 minutes.

There are but a handful of films when it borders on fact rather than opinion whether a film is good or bad.

Hall Pass is one of those films.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Boys don't Cry.
    Yowsa, a bit disturbing but a good film

A Prophet, French film about prison life and the Corsican mob and the Muslims. Another good film

But my favourite over the weekend, Midnight Run. About bounty hunters and clashing with the FBI and the mafia.
    The upbeat jangly music in the background was a bit distracting.
    And if you are pedantic and work in a bank you'll spot what happens the credit card.
    But I liked the film a lot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭jammstarr

I watched The Eagle last night. It was a lot better than I expected :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Just watched Seraphim Falls, enjoyed it!!

Didn't like it. Very hard to like.

Watched Role Models. It was OK. Nothing special. The last bit, the Laire battle, was kind of sh!t. Few laughs here and there and passed away a bit. Bobb'e Thompson (Ronnie) was cracking though.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Let Me In: I only watched this to see if the went all 'Hollywood' on the original and surprisingly they didn't change too much which means watching it was a bit pointless. It's pretty much American actors acting Swedish for the majority of it with a few Americanism's thrown in (gross and steady) here and there.

From the major changes I noticed, one worked and one didn't. I liked the fact that they dropped the ambiguous sub plot with Owen's father
    what is his relationship with that bloke?...did he split with Owens mother to live with him? (probably explained in the novel but I aint read it yet, it just felt very out of place in the original film.)

However I felt the change to the scene in which
    Thomas gets caught just doesn't work. It ends up being nothing more than a comedy segment which just doesn't fit, opposed to the unfortunate events of the original.

As a fan of the original I am glad they didn't change it too much, I thought a few scares might have been thrown in here and there to appeal to a broader audience, but with so little being changed I just don't see the point of the remake, a dubbed version of the original would have done the same job.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭HereticPrincess

The Rite - Quite good, Anthony Hopkins is fantastic in. Definitely worth seeing.

Kung Fu Hustle - Always a great watch :D

Buried - Enjoyable, was curious to see how the movie would play out.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Turtyturd wrote: »
    From the major changes I noticed, one worked and one didn't. I liked the fact that they dropped the ambiguous sub plot with Owen's father
    what is his relationship with that bloke?...did he split with Owens mother to live with him? (probably explained in the novel but I aint read it yet, it just felt very out of place in the original film.)
    You think he was gay? Hmmm, I'm not so sure about that. I haven't read the book either, but my interpretation was always that he was his neighbour/drinking buddy and that the reason he separated from Oskar's mother was because he was an alcoholic.

I quite enjoyed Let Me In, but it's not a patch on the original which is superior in every way. I mean, you'd think the remake might be better technically given the larger budget, but nope. The cinematography, the sound, the special effects - everything in the original is better. I think it's a tribute to just how brilliant the original is that Hollywood could do a fairly bad photocopy of it and still make it so good.

I quite enjoyed Let Me In, but it's not a patch on the original which is superior in every way. I mean, you'd think the remake might be better technically given the larger budget, but nope. The cinematography, the sound, the special effects - everything in the original is better. I think it's a tribute to just how brilliant the original is that Hollywood could do a fairly bad photocopy of it and still make it so good.

A fairly bad photocopy is actually a good way of summing it up. It's one of the most unamerican looking American films I can recall. And all the blandness of the settings of the original just don't work as well in this. Thanks for the reminder about the effects too some of which just look terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭HereticPrincess

Just Go With It - Hilarious movie, I do love Jen Aniston so I loved it, boyfriend laughed a fair bit too.

Paul - Excellent, really funny. Loved all the nerdy references, comic-con stuff too.

Been on a bit of a movie watching buzz this weekend.

As I already said.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭SlipperyPeople

leaves of grass
    with ed norton i thought it was a great watch and had never heard of it before hand...7/10

public enemies
    finally got around to watching this one yesterday thought it was good crime movie just what my hungover head needed 7.5/10

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement